New Book: Elvis on Record

All the Elvis you can take
User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 23064
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 5493 times
Been thanked: 5615 times

New Book: Elvis on Record

Postby Colin B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Elvis on Record - A Comprehensive Guide to UK Record Releases - 1956-2017

Front Cover:
Elvis On Record - Book Cover001.jpg

Back Cover:
Elvis On Record - Book Cover [Back]001.jpg


I wasn't expecting this until September, but my pre-ordered copy arrived today !

As a reference book, it invites comparison with the Elvis UK & Elvis UK2 books we had all those years ago.

Some first impressions:

Pros

Has the look & 'feel' of a top quality, professionally produced book.

Photos of sleeves & labels presented in full colour.

Full details of each release are given: release date, catalogue number, sleeve & label variations.

Full track listings given.

Covers the periods from his very first releases in 1956, right up to the Speedway album in March, 2017.
[The Elvis UK books only went up to 2002]

There is a separate section for bootlegs [their term is 'unlicensed'].

Cons

Considering what a colourful book this is, it's odd that they've used black & white photos of him on the cover !

No commentary given !
The Elvis UK books had a little write-up for each release with useful info like if there were changes in the track-listing from US releases.
They also pointed out & corrected any sleeve or label errors, & general points of interest connected with the issue.
In this book - nothing !

No chart positions given.

No writers shown.

No CDs listed.

The 'unlicensed' section is not 'comprehensive'.
It couldn't be, of course, as that would require a complete separate book !

Looks like this is going to be a fascinating read !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B


TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 4115 times
Been thanked: 3937 times

Re: New Book: Elvis on Record

Postby TonyS » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks Colin.
Obviously it's chronologicsl but do they have a quick reference text guide only as well in there rather than having to go through every page to find what you want?
Is it hardback or softback?
Who's the publisher?
Questions, questions I know.

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 23064
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 5493 times
Been thanked: 5615 times

Re: New Book: Elvis on Record

Postby Colin B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:48 pm

TonyS wrote:Thanks Colin.
Obviously it's chronologicsl but do they have a quick reference text guide only as well in there rather than having to go through every page to find what you want?
Is it hardback or softback?
Who's the publisher?
Questions, questions I know.


Right, let's see.

The singles, EPs & albums are listed in a chronological index near the beginning.

There is an alphabetical index towards the end, but the singles are only in the order of the 'A' side titles.

For example Mama Liked the Roses is not listed under 'M' - you'd need to know that the 'A' side was The Wonder of You - under 'T'.

It's a hardback book.

Couldn't see a publisher named anywhere.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B


TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 4115 times
Been thanked: 3937 times

Re: New Book: Elvis on Record

Postby TonyS » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Colin B wrote:
TonyS wrote:Thanks Colin.
Obviously it's chronologicsl but do they have a quick reference text guide only as well in there rather than having to go through every page to find what you want?
Is it hardback or softback?
Who's the publisher?
Questions, questions I know.


Right, let's see.

The singles, EPs & albums are listed in a chronological index near the beginning.

There is an alphabetical index towards the end, but the singles are only in the order of the 'A' side titles.

For example Mama Liked the Roses is not listed under 'M' - you'd need to know that the 'A' side was The Wonder of You - under 'T'.

It's a hardback book.

Couldn't see a publisher named anywhere.

Thanks, I was going to jump at this but as it seems a self published affair I'll wait to see one in person before I commit.
I've got all the records anyway. ;-)

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 23064
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 5493 times
Been thanked: 5615 times

Re: New Book: Elvis on Record

Postby Colin B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Colin B wrote:Cons

...No commentary given !
The Elvis UK books had a little write-up for each release with useful info like if there were changes in the track-listing from US releases.
They also pointed out & corrected any sleeve or label errors, & general points of interest connected with the issue.
In this book - nothing !...


Perhaps I was a tad harsh there !

Just occasionally, they've reproduced some press cuttings showing reviews, ads, record charts etc.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B


Matt Helm
Posts: 3063
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 1462 times
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: New Book: Elvis on Record

Postby Matt Helm » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:44 pm

VERY INTERESTING after all, Matt


ttwii
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:38 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Elvis On Record A comprehensive guide to UK Record releases

Postby ttwii » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:35 pm

cover 2 crop.jpg


for those of you who are unaware. I have been working on an in depth UK vinyl release book.
It incorporates sheet music and press cuttings and is now available.
Price incl shipping is £68 paypal ttwii@hotmail.com

pm me for further info or email me at Elvis.vinyl.uk@gmail.com for further info
page 16.jpg

page 129.jpg

Elvis UK Singles page 18-28.tif

page 181.jpg


NB - This post was in a separate thread & I've merged it with the pre-existing one on the same subject - CB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 23064
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 5493 times
Been thanked: 5615 times

Re: New Book: Elvis on Record

Postby Colin B » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:03 am

The introduction in the book invites comments & gives an e-mail address.

I e-mailed Paul Alner & repeated the 'pros' & 'cons' which I had posted on here.

He swiftly replied that, if that's the worst review the book gets, he'll be happy !

All the missing aspects I highlighted he put down to time & space restrictions.

He also explained that there are no 'bootlegs' in the book.

The 'unlicensed' releases he lists were all legitimate in the UK !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

Tulsa Mclean
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:40 pm
Location: Spain
Has thanked: 670 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: Elvis On Record A comprehensive guide to UK Record releases

Postby Tulsa Mclean » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:20 am

ttwii wrote:cover 2 crop.jpg

for those of you who are unaware. I have been working on an in depth UK vinyl release book.
It incorporates sheet music and press cuttings and is now available.
Price incl shipping is £68 paypal ttwii@hotmail.com

pm me for further info or email me at Elvis.vinyl.uk@gmail.com for further info
page 16.jpg
page 129.jpg
Elvis UK Singles page 18-28.tif
page 181.jpg

NB - This post was in a separate thread & I've merged it with the pre-existing one on the same subject - CB


If the books looks like those pictures you posted, I like it 8-). Will look for a copy in Memphis to save postage!. Thanks.
Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Image


ttwii
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:38 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Elvis On Record A comprehensive guide to UK Record releases

Postby ttwii » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Tulsa McClean wrote:]If the books looks like those pictures you posted, I like it 8-). Will look for a copy in Memphis to save postage!. Thanks.


The book is available only from The Elvis Shop London and myself, I will be taking some copies to Memphis this August so if you want one PM me and we can arrange to meet (they will be $75) I wont have many as they are 2.7kg each!
The book is indeed self published (no publisher, not even ftd thought it a viable subject) the original Elvis UK book is 30 years old and lacked colour and also had many records missing. I took it upon myself with the help of a few others to start from scratch and produce a colourful and informative book that would cater for new and old collectors alike, then we put our own money up to make sure others could share the information I had gathered, I have no doubt it could have included more, and I would have loved to do that but each extra page made the project more expensive. Originally it was a 300 page book but I wanted press clippings to give it a historical perspective and sheet music to give the singles section more colour (most UK 45's had no picture sleeve). From the feedback I have had, including Colin's, I am happy that the book has accomplished what I intended.

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 23064
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 5493 times
Been thanked: 5615 times

Re: Elvis On Record A comprehensive guide to UK Record releases

Postby Colin B » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Tulsa McClean wrote:If the books looks like those pictures you posted, I like it 8-). Will look for a copy in Memphis to save postage!. Thanks.
ttwii wrote:...I took it upon myself with the help of a few others to start from scratch and produce a colourful and informative book that would cater for new and old collectors alike...
From the feedback I have had, including Colin's, I am happy that the book has accomplished what I intended.


I didn't realise at first that "ttwii" was Paul Alner himself !

Yes, the book has achieved what it set out to do.

I have listed a few 'cons' - but they are outweighed by the 'pros' !

A recommended purchase...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

Tulsa Mclean
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:40 pm
Location: Spain
Has thanked: 670 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: Elvis On Record A comprehensive guide to UK Record releases

Postby Tulsa Mclean » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:42 pm

ttwii wrote:
Tulsa McClean wrote:]If the books looks like those pictures you posted, I like it 8-). Will look for a copy in Memphis to save postage!. Thanks.


The book is available only from The Elvis Shop London and myself, I will be taking some copies to Memphis this August so if you want one PM me and we can arrange to meet (they will be $75) I wont have many as they are 2.7kg each!
The book is indeed self published (no publisher, not even ftd thought it a viable subject) the original Elvis UK book is 30 years old and lacked colour and also had many records missing. I took it upon myself with the help of a few others to start from scratch and produce a colourful and informative book that would cater for new and old collectors alike, then we put our own money up to make sure others could share the information I had gathered, I have no doubt it could have included more, and I would have loved to do that but each extra page made the project more expensive. Originally it was a 300 page book but I wanted press clippings to give it a historical perspective and sheet music to give the singles section more colour (most UK 45's had no picture sleeve). From the feedback I have had, including Colin's, I am happy that the book has accomplished what I intended.


I´ve sent you a pm....
Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Image

User avatar

javilu
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:37 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentinian Kingdom
Has thanked: 394 times
Been thanked: 285 times

Re: New Book: Elvis on Record

Postby javilu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:58 pm

Great job, Paul.
Congratulations!
Image

User avatar

Tulsa Mclean
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:40 pm
Location: Spain
Has thanked: 670 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: New Book: Elvis on Record

Postby Tulsa Mclean » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:17 am

Are there any pictures of labels or sleeve of the unreleased lp: Elvis For You RD-7586 included in this book?.

P.S: This lp was supposed to include the songs Summer Kisses, Winter Tears & Flaming Star plus Loving You songs from the original lp. It was shelved, later all these songs were included on the lp Summer Kisses, Winter Tears RD-7723 released in Sept 1965.

Image
Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Image

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 23064
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 5493 times
Been thanked: 5615 times

Re: New Book: Elvis on Record

Postby Colin B » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:06 am

Tulsa Mclean wrote:Are there any pictures of labels or sleeve of the unreleased lp: Elvis For You RD-7586 included in this book?....


No.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B


Return to “Everything Elvis”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Stevenson and 5 guests