Sir Paul McCartney Answers the Web's Most Searched Questions | WIRED

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Mountain Mist

Re: Sir Paul McCartney Answers the Web's Most Searched Questions | WIRED

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:21 am

John wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:
John wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:Paul is desperate for attention.

I doubt it.

The context of my comment is on the personal matter that Paul shared with the world.

Why else would he say something like that?

Oh, if you mean what I think you mean, then I don't think it's about being desperate for attention, but it is stupid. I'm sure his children don't want to read about it, and I doubt anyone else wants to. I saw the headline and that was enough.

Come together, right now......

Yep, lots of songs, lol, lol, lol, :D

Now, the question is, were some of the Beatles' song titles in honour of .... lol

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:46 pm

John wrote:
javilu wrote:
John wrote:
I know what he means, but did the Elvis era ever end?

Good luck Walter with your question.

Yes it did. Elvis was #1 music artist of the world and then The Beatles took over the top spot from him.
I guess that is what Paul means.

There are many that would disagree.

Well, Elvis did have a brief comeback for almost 2 years (68/70) then he disappeared, well not totally, but his records throughout the 70s were patchy affairs up til his death.

In reality, the Beatles did end his era, certainly as far as the charts go. But they weren't the only ones, other groups and singers were making far superior music for the teenage market than Elvis was from mid 60s up til his death. Elvis had his day from 56 to 62 dominating the charts around the world just like the Beatles did from 63 - 70. It's just that Elvis could have had more hits if he hadn't of been such a wimp and had his career controlled by such naked greedy moguls.

I'm sure you know all this already, but thought I'd still mention it.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:53 pm

I have always liked The Beatles' music but, to put it succintly, Paul McCartney is not just my kind of guy.

And he gives too many interviews. "Mojo" magazine publishes one every year, at least. Just ridiculous. What else is left to say for a guy like that ?

I miss John Lennon.

John

Postby John » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Mister Moon wrote:I have always liked The Beatles' music but, to put it succintly, Paul McCartney is not just my kind of guy.

And he gives too many interviews. "Mojo" magazine publishes one every year, at least. Just ridiculous. What else is left to say for a guy like that ?

I miss John Lennon.

I don't.

I used to be a big Macca fan, and still like the early Wings and most of the solo stuff, but the last few years I reckon he's had his day.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Mister Moon wrote:I have always liked The Beatles' music but, to put it succintly, Paul McCartney is not just my kind of guy.

I miss John Lennon.

I miss John too.

I honestly believe if John was still with us Paul wouldn't act the ego maniac he is. I think, when John died Paul set out to take credit for things he's says he's done knowing John isn't here to back it up or discredit him. We all know that John was very upfront and told things how it was, something that Paul wouldn't be able to answer back to. One of the reasons he tries to take credit for things is because he knows that the Beatles was John's band and that he was always seen as the main Beatle - the one who made the Beatles what they are for being outright and rebellious.

The thing with his interviews, they keep asking him the same questions.... we've heard it all before!
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:21 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:

I miss John Lennon.

I miss John too.

I honestly believe if John was still with us Paul wouldn't act the ego maniac he is. I think, when John died Paul set out to take credit for things he's says he's done knowing John isn't here to back it up or discredit him. We all know that John was very upfront and told things how it was, something that Paul wouldn't be able to answer back to. One of the reasons he tries to take credit for things is because he knows that the Beatles was John's band and that he was always seen as the main Beatle - the one who made the Beatles what they are for being outright and rebellious.

The thing with his interviews, they keep asking him the same questions.... we've heard it all before!

I can't stand the guy, even though I admire his musical contributions to The Beatles' catalog.

But he's always tried too hard to be cool, and he almost invariably appears as a contrived person to me.

He's been under John Lennon's shadow since that day in July 1957, when they first met. He can't escape from that.

John

Postby John » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

I miss John Lennon.

I miss John too.

Yup.

I can't stand the guy, even though I admire his musical contributions to The Beatles' catalog.

But he's always tried too hard to be cool, and he almost invariably appears as a contrived person to me.
That's true, I agree with that.

He's been under John Lennon's shadow since that day in July 1957, when they first met. He can't escape from that.

Who knows what would have happened if Lennon had lived? Personally I think his status has been elevated. Had he lived, I doubt he would be considered cool. His music was really hit and miss after the Beatles, mostly miss. I think Paul is the better writer, but there is this strange thing in him, maybe jealousy, where he has to prove himself against Lennon, even to the ridiculous point where he tried to tell everyone which bits he actually wrote. Who cares, except him?

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:37 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

I miss John Lennon.

I miss John too.

Yup.

Who knows what would have happened if Lennon had lived? Personally I think his status has been elevated. Had he lived, I doubt he would be considered cool. His music was really hit and miss after the Beatles, mostly miss. I think Paul is the better writer, but there is this strange thing in him, maybe jealousy, where he has to prove himself against Lennon, even to the ridiculous point where he tried to tell everyone which bits he actually wrote. Who cares, except him?

I think it's sad. He should be proud of The Beatles' privileged spot in rock and roll history. Instead, as you say, he spends his time with this crap.

There's a great book called "Revolution In The Head", written by Ian MacDonald, where The Beatles' work is analyzed song by song, in a very deep way. I got it years ago, but not too long ago somebody gave me a more recent edition of the book as a gift, and it's full of additions taken from another book written by Barry Miles in conjunction with McCartney where it appears that every Beatles song was made by him, more or less. Fortunately, MacDonald was a brilliant and knowledgeable writer, and managed to balance that doubtful information.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:08 pm

I could be ever so wrong; however, perhaps Paul, with his private comments with regard to John, is trying to open up a whole new audience, hence the advertising Paul is now involved in.

Paul's comments were mentioned on the news in Australia, lol (I know, we do not have much news at the moment) lol.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:29 am

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

I miss John Lennon.

I miss John too.

Yup.

Imo, John was always cool, certainly compared to Paul. Sure, John had his faults but he's most certainly the more hip. McCartney is a bit of a wanker really, can't knock him as a songwriter though.

I think it's a matter of opinion who's music was better after the Beatles split. Lennon's first two albums "Plastic On Band" and "Imagine" are pure gold - the songs on those albums are some of his at his best, certainly as a writer, beautiful melodies and lyrics. After that, yes, it was definitely hit and miss.

McCartney is pretty much the same. But for me, Paul, after the Beatles, really only did one great album where all songs on it were great and that was "Band On The Run", great album that was. After that, it was hit and miss.

As songwriters, I don't think one was better than the other. They were both masters at the craft. But when you listen to there solo stuff you can see the difference in there songs, in terms of which one is different than the other.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:49 am

can't believe the negativity surrounding music and songwriting legend Sir Paul.
Well now, guess what ?!

His new album - Egypt Station - has just reached number one over on the US Billboard album charts making this his first number one since 1982 ! Congrats Sir Paul and Fantastic achievement and to me clearly demonstrates he's still got it and what a great promoter he is. All power to him.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... -200-chart

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:07 am

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

I miss John Lennon.

I miss John too.

Yup.

I think it's sad. He should be proud of The Beatles' privileged spot in rock and roll history. Instead, as you say, he spends his time with this crap.

There's a great book called "Revolution In The Head", written by Ian MacDonald, where The Beatles' work is analyzed song by song, in a very deep way. I got it years ago, but not too long ago somebody gave me a more recent edition of the book as a gift, and it's full of additions taken from another book written by Barry Miles in conjunction with McCartney where it appears that every Beatles song was made by him, more or less. Fortunately, MacDonald was a brilliant and knowledgeable writer, and managed to balance that doubtful information.

Thanks guys,

Wasn't one of the issues especially in the the years 1972 to about 1977, that Lennon was facing deportation and therefore could not devote enough time to writing and waxing quality music? Lennon also had just a big interest in painting than with music endeavours, so had he not been killed , it's really hard to say if he would have continued full time with music career, let alone, a Beatles reunion.

To me, Sir Paul has over the years developed as a musician, writer, record producer and deserves a lot of credit. I think he's proud man but can understand other Beatles fans point of him being ego driven.

The same questions over and over? Yes i agree but that's hardly Paul's fault particularly when you have the reporters and fans asking him the same questions, what's he supposed to do? Ignore and dismiss them ?

In my Youtube comments i actually tried to ask some different ones (4 questions) , a couple got removed, the one about the two songs "Name and Address" which i asked if was intended for Rick Nelson or Elvis before he eventually waxed a version and "Someone who Cares" was another i asked about and if he would consider singing these again on his new concert tour.

Another one was which Buddy Holly, Elvis and Bob Dylan records or albums features in his jukebox, also got removed? :evil:

Finally, Mister Moon thanks and appreciate the info and your plug on the Revolution In The Head book. I'll check and see if it's available here.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:43 am

TonyS wrote:
John wrote:
javilu wrote:
John wrote:
I know what he means, but did the Elvis era ever end?

Good luck Walter with your question.

Yes it did. Elvis was #1 music artist of the world and then The Beatles took over the top spot from him.
I guess that is what Paul means.

There are many that would disagree.

Elvis' era did end.... but then he made a comeback and a couple of years later The Beatles split and their era ended while Elvis conquered Vegas.
You know the rest. ;)

Good on you Tony, this is a bit before my time, but wasn't Elvis still extremely popular in the UK, Netherlands and Germany during lets say, 1964, 1965 and 1966 years ? This in an era where British invasion took over and/or very few single artists were not popular (excepting Cliff, Roy Orbison, Gene Pitney.)

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:57 am

Yes, he even had a number one hit in the UK in 1965, but his star had faded a little by then.
The times they were a changing.
I've noticed that a fan base eventually mature, get married and get on with their lives etc at the expense of following their idols. Real life takes hold as you mature. Later in life that fan base returns with nostalgia for their younger days and the 'act' usually has a renascence, unfortunately Elvis died before it happened, but I've seen it take place with lots of acts especially in the UK.
The Osmonds, The Bay City Rollers, David Essex and right now Jeff Lynne and ELO.
There's currently a growing ground swell for acts of the 80's and it's been repeated decade after decade in my life. In the mid 70's there was a 50's revival, in the 80's the 60's were more popular, in the late 80's and 90's it was the 70's revival with the ABBA for example.
I'm not convinced it's always down to other acts knocking the current top performer from their perch, it's just life.

javilu

Postby javilu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:53 pm

Mountain Mist wrote:
John wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:Paul is desperate for attention.

I doubt it.

The context of my comment is on the personal matter that Paul shared with the world.

Why else would he say something like that?

That is old news. He told the story for Barry MIles' book IIRC.

Return to “Off Topic”