The "talk about whatever you want" thread

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
John

Re: The "talk about whatever you want" thread

Postby John » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:...The energy that we have in us was around in some form before we were conceived or born, so it could easily revert to its former state.
John wrote:It must be an endless source of energy then, or is it constantly being mined from somewhere, or is the source of energy reducing, given there are a few more people than there were when Adam and Eve kicked things off?

Well, our own star, the sun, is our main source of energy.

It's 'long-lasting' rather than 'endless'.

And please forget the 'Adam & Eve' myth...

Myth? You mean.....? There was no apple, or asp or Cain, or Abel? Who did Cain and Abel marry, anyway?

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:57 am

Colin B wrote:...And please forget the 'Adam & Eve' myth...
John wrote:Myth? You mean.....?
There was no apple, or asp or Cain, or Abel?
Who did Cain and Abel marry, anyway?

An 'apple' isn't actually mentioned, it's a 'fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good & bad'.

An 'asp' isn't mentioned either, it's a 'serpent' [& a talking one at that].

The brothers Cain & Abel were Adam & Eve's first children.

After Cain had slain Abel [who wasn't married], he went to the east of Eden to the Land of Fugitiveness.

He then gets his wife pregnant [her name or from whence she came isn't mentioned].

Remember, I'm always on hand to explain the mysteries of the bible...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:15 am

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:...And please forget the 'Adam & Eve' myth...
John wrote:Myth? You mean.....?
There was no apple, or asp or Cain, or Abel?
Who did Cain and Abel marry, anyway?

An 'apple' isn't actually mentioned, it's a 'fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good & bad'.

An 'asp' isn't mentioned either, it's a 'serpent' [& a talking one at that].

The brothers Cain & Abel were Adam & Eve's first children.

After Cain had slain Abel [who wasn't married], he went to the east of Eden to the Land of Fugitiveness.

He then gets his wife pregnant [her name or from whence she came isn't mentioned].

Remember, I'm always on hand to explain the mysteries of the bible...

In the second narrative, God fashions Adam from dust and places him in the Garden of Eden. Adam is told that he can eat freely of all the trees in the garden, except for a tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Subsequently, Eve is created from one of Adam's ribs to be Adam's companion.

Soooo, going back to God, Adam was "born" from dust, hence energy, Eve was created from Adam's rib, hence energy.

Then, the translation becomes more interesting:
According to Zevit, “rib” is the wrong translation for tsela‘ in the Adam and Eve story in the Bible. Zevit believes that tsela‘ should be translated as “a non-specific, general term,” such as one of Adam’s lateral limbs, in the Adam and Eve story. Thus, it refers to “limbs lateral to the vertical axis of an erect human body: hands, feet, or, in the case of males, the penis.”

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/dai ... rom-where/

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:21 am

Norman wrote:
Colin B wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:Colin, my answer on "religion", is really, not so much, but a way of being, I do think that, for me, His Holiness is whom makes sense to me, he, most importantly, suggests solutions, he is inclusive, warm hearted, wise, playful and loving.
Colin B wrote:Yes, the Dalai Llama talks sense.

But we can all embrace those things without 'religion' entering into it...
Mountain Mist wrote:I am terrible at being clear enough, sorry Colin grrrrrrrrrr.

Buddhists seek to reach a state of nirvana, following the path of the Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama, who went on a quest for Enlightenment around the sixth century BC. There is no belief in a personal god. Buddhists believe that nothing is fixed or permanent and that change is always possible.

:D

Thanks for that.

Yes, there is a lot of sense in the Buddhist beliefs, except for the 'reincarnation' bit, which is kinda hard to swallow...

For most, it is hard to have any faith in the reincarnation concept (but not so much for the Hindus, Buddhists and those who agree with Pythagoras on the subject). Energy cannot be destroyed, but is, as it were, recycled constantly. So one might understand why energy and reincarnation was intuited by the ancient Hindu seers, later Buddhists and even Pythagoras (His ‘Transmigration of souls’ theory).

If you do not mind me asking, Norman, what are your thoughts, on Energy?

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:26 am

Seriously? This, in my view, is a bible interpretation, and a bad one:

Women were considered to be in a state of punishment for sin

The biblical creation stories were interpreted as having put women in a permanent state of submission to men, by way of punishment.

The Latin Fathers of the Church held women responsible for bringing original sin into the world, and for being a continuing source of seduction.
Women continued to be condemned by the theologians of the Middle Ages.
In Post-scholastic times we find real ‘misogyny’ and even persecution.

It would be wholly inappropriate for such ‘sinful creatures’ to be chosen as channels of God's grace.

It continues, lol

Misinterpreted Scripture Texts

The habit, in certain Christian writers, of blaming women for sin derives from a lop-sided interpretation of Scripture texts.

Genesis 3,1-16 describes the fall of Adam and Eve. Eve was seduced by the serpent and Eve in turn made Adam eat of the apple. They are both reprimanded by God, who says to Eve: “I will multiply your pains in childbirth. You shall give birth to your children in pain. You will long for your husband, but he will lord it over you.” Women's subjection to men was interpreted as a specific and inescapable curse by God, instead of just an example of how the hardships of life are punishment for sin: just as Adam has to till the soil in the sweat of his brow (Genesis 3,17-19).
1 Timothy 2,14 blames woman (Eve) for being deceived rather than Adam, and thus for being responsible for sin. This text is clearly a rationalization which may not be treated as balanced theological statement.
No modern theologian interprets these texts as teaching that women are more guilty of sin than men, or that women's low social or cultural status is directly willed by God as a punishment.

http://www.womenpriests.org/traditio/sinful.asp

Norman
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Norman » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Mountain Mist wrote:
Norman wrote:
Colin B wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:Colin, my answer on "religion", is really, not so much, but a way of being, I do think that, for me, His Holiness is whom makes sense to me, he, most importantly, suggests solutions, he is inclusive, warm hearted, wise, playful and loving.

Mountain Mist wrote:I am terrible at being clear enough, sorry Colin grrrrrrrrrr.

Buddhists seek to reach a state of nirvana, following the path of the Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama, who went on a quest for Enlightenment around the sixth century BC. There is no belief in a personal god. Buddhists believe that nothing is fixed or permanent and that change is always possible.

Thanks for that.

Yes, there is a lot of sense in the Buddhist beliefs, except for the 'reincarnation' bit, which is kinda hard to swallow...

For most, it is hard to have any faith in the reincarnation concept (but not so much for the Hindus, Buddhists and those who agree with Pythagoras on the subject). Energy cannot be destroyed, but is, as it were, recycled constantly. So one might understand why energy and reincarnation was intuited by the ancient Hindu seers, later Buddhists and even Pythagoras (His ‘Transmigration of souls’ theory).

Aha, MM, if you mean do I believe that indestructible energy does manifest in reincarnation, well that has to come from the perspectives of either metaphysical speculation or faith. If push comes to shove, and hard questions deserve an answer, then I’d would go along with the seers. But as always, we act well here and now and not worry about the future which is out of our control.

By the way, the Sun is indeed, the source of energy – everything that happens on Earth is because of energy, ie because of the Sun. It’s therefore respected or worshipped by many, hence the sun salutation that s practice in Yoga, a very ancient system that endures through its amazing wisdom, practitioners waking early to carry out spiritual practices, the solstice ceremonies, and even a day of the week to remind us of it constantly! This can remind us how insignificant we are on this little old planet.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:00 pm

Norman wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:
Norman wrote:
Colin B wrote:

Thanks for that.

Aha, MM, if you mean do I believe that indestructible energy does manifest in reincarnation, well that has to come from the perspectives of either metaphysical speculation or faith. If push comes to shove, and hard questions deserve an answer, then I’d would go along with the seers. But as always, we act well here and now and not worry about the future which is out of our control.

By the way, the Sun is indeed, the source of energy – everything that happens on Earth is because of energy, ie because of the Sun. It’s therefore respected or worshipped by many, hence the sun salutation that s practice in Yoga, a very ancient system that endures through its amazing wisdom, practitioners waking early to carry out spiritual practices, the solstice ceremonies, and even a day of the week to remind us of it constantly! This can remind us how insignificant we are on this little old planet.

Thanks, Norman. :D

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:10 pm

This is Elvis related, Thought I would put it here. I decided to have a CD day...Listening to some of my CDs I have I started off with the RPO Elvis Albums, (If I can dream) I know some don't like them. I listened to 'Fever' Featuring Micheal Buble, It sounds great. My question is, How did they come up with Micheal B? Who decides the song to put with the artist? I do think they got this one right I am not a Buble fan.
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

Topic author
John

Postby John » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:05 pm

elvislady wrote:This is Elvis related, Thought I would put it here. I decided to have a CD day...Listening to some of my CDs I have I started off with the RPO Elvis Albums, (If I can dream) I know some don't like them. I listened to 'Fever' Featuring Micheal Buble, It sounds great. My question is, How did they come up with Micheal B? Who decides the song to put with the artist? I do think they got this one right I am not a Buble fan.

I don't know who thought of him, I seem to think it was Priscilla. I do like Buble, but this is a silly pairing. For me it doesn't work t all.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:12 pm

elvislady wrote:This is Elvis related, Thought I would put it here. I decided to have a CD day...Listening to some of my CDs I have I started off with the RPO Elvis Albums, (If I can dream) I know some don't like them. I listened to 'Fever' Featuring Micheal Buble, It sounds great.
My question is, How did they come up with Micheal B? Who decides the song to put with the artist?
I do think they got this one right I am not a Buble fan.
John wrote:I don't know who thought of him, I seem to think it was Priscilla.
I do like Buble, but this is a silly pairing.
For me it doesn't work t all.

There are some songs [I suppose] that suit a male-on-male vocal pairing.

'Fever' isn't one of them !
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
John

Postby John » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Colin B wrote:
elvislady wrote:This is Elvis related, Thought I would put it here. I decided to have a CD day...Listening to some of my CDs I have I started off with the RPO Elvis Albums, (If I can dream) I know some don't like them. I listened to 'Fever' Featuring Micheal Buble, It sounds great.
My question is, How did they come up with Micheal B? Who decides the song to put with the artist?

Nor was True Love, which after all these years, still sounds wrong. That should have been a duet with a female.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:27 pm

Colin B wrote:There are some songs [I suppose] that suit a male-on-male vocal pairing.

John wrote:Nor was True Love, which after all these years, still sounds wrong. That should have been a duet with a female.

I don't think Buble was involved in that one...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Colin B wrote:

I never thought I would like it. I hated it when I heard it I am not a micheal buble fan at all...After hearing it so many times I grew to like it. Just my thoughts.

Thanks, John, Colin. For your input.
BTW Colin, I think Nat,Your grandaughter is a beautiful model, I follow her on instragram and love the clothes she models, I am a little old to wear them tho. :D :D
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:17 pm

elvislady wrote:Thanks, John, Colin. For your input.
BTW Colin, I think Nat,Your grandaughter is a beautiful model, I follow her on instragram and love the clothes she models, I am a little old to wear them tho. :D :D

Thanks !

Yes, she's defiitely for the youth demograph...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
John

Postby John » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:22 pm

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:There are some songs [I suppose] that suit a male-on-male vocal pairing.

John wrote:Nor was True Love, which after all these years, still sounds wrong. That should have been a duet with a female.

I don't think Buble was involved in that one...

I don't think anyone said he was.

Return to “Off Topic”