The Rick(y) Nelson LEGACY Topic

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

The Rick(y) Nelson LEGACY Topic

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:24 am

Note, I declined to title this as another "Appreciation" as i aim to make this one which highlights and does justice on the vast range of music that Rick waxed and remains to this day, underrated let alone, unheard by the general public.

I aim to post and highlight these, but you guys are welcome to, add his famous records as you like :D

First up , and what better way to kick things off with his song Legacy Recorded ,1973 and featured on the album Windfall back when he very wisely re-invented his image and musical direction such as recording more country and wanted to be known as Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band.

Just look at these awesome set of lyrics on one of the songs verses -

And all that I leave I bequeth to my son
And beg his forgiveness, for all that I've done in his name
As the cycle comes to end
Never more to pass this way again

Now sit back and enjoy the song :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5GWONOfFUY

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Re: The Rick(y) Nelson LEGACY Topic

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:31 am

Next is Life written by the man himself and included on his 1971 album , Rudy the Fifth. With a song like this, Rick demonstrates there was more to him and his music direction than the earlier Rock records his remembered and perpetuated for.
Just check out these lyrics. Songwriters of the calibre of Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot would be impressed, i'm sure.

Life, go on without me
Take it and you'll see
It doesn't matter
Life, I know what your game is
You take it and trade it
For another
Life, before you're over
I want something to show for
All my trouble

Time, come on in
I see you're back again
Where you goin' now
I thought you'd know somehow

Life, if you keep goin'
I'll try to throw in
A little love
Life, I can't do without you
There's something about you
That keeps me goin'
Life, I don't wanna stop now
I've been through so much now
Because of you

Tell me life
What are you here for
Tell me life
I wanna know more
Tell me life
What are we here for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbR3N6kTVLc

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:35 pm

unfortunately so far, no feedback of any kind.

I will just continue on with this one.

To truly appreciate these and the other tracks i posted, you have to forget/block out the famous Rick(y) Nelson earlier material (not impossible to do).

Anyway to the song itself, recorded 1978 but never released. It appears that an album was finalized under the title Back to Vienna. Great ambience and especially on the slide guitar featured here. Some of the tracks were later released on a compilation Stay Young - The Epic Years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VxcEL1IxRw

Rick Nelson -New Delhi Freight Train.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by WalterHaleJnr on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Next for the topic is his version of Hank Williams song - "(I Heard That)Lonesome Whistle Blow "

First came out on Country Fever album and features, James, Burton, Glen Campbell, The Jordanaires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egRc6x6nLAg

Rickeap

Postby Rickeap » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:01 am

I'm part of his legacy. i was named after him and his brother. My brother, who died six weeks before i was born in 1961, was a fan.

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:20 pm

LIFE, what a great tune, and I've loved it for years already.
Seeing Rick in concert twice, having a somewhat large Rick collection, meeting him very briefly and finally paying respects at his grave, yes, you could say I'm a fan !
What a legacy indeed.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:41 am

Just found this article review on Rick's album The Memphis Sessions recorded 1977/78 but was cancelled and never released until following his tragic death:

Rick Nelson`s `Memphis Sessions` Dusted Off And Polished With
Success

Rick Nelson, a Hollywood rockabilly relic whose recording career was moribund, flew into Memphis in late 1978 to try to make new hits by returning to the basics of seminal rock and roll.

Nelson`s ``Memphis Sessions,`` title of a new album containing most of his Memphis work, represented the only time he recorded outside Los Angeles, and the fruits of the Memphis interlude belong in the front rank of his musical legacy.

The album contains:

-- Sometimes sizzling, sometimes intimate renditions of such notable oldies as Presley`s ``That`s All Right, Mama,`` the Rolling Stones` ``It`s All Over Now,`` Buddy Holly`s ``Rave On`` and ``True Love Ways,`` and the project`s first single, a just re-released version of Bobby Darin`s ``Dream Lover.``

-- Similarly memorable work on such more contemporary material as ``Sleep Tight Good Night Man,`` ``Send Me Somebody To Love`` and ``Almost Saturday Night.``

-- And seeds of a controversy over (1) why CBS Records executives shelved the album after it was made, (2) why they handed the job of posthumously updating it to talented staff producer Steve Buckingham instead of its original supervisor, Larry Rogers, and (3) whether the final product, which is excellent, is something the hard-to-please Nelson would have allowed to be released had he not died in an airplane crash last New Year`s Eve.

``The original album was never released because it was a project of

(CBS`) Epic Records office in Los Angeles, and they felt it just wasn`t right for the pop market in 1979,`` says Bonnie Garner, vice president of artists and repertoire at CBS-Nashville. ``And it wasn`t offered to CBS-Nashville.``

``Rick didn`t like Nashville at all,`` recalls John Beland, formerly half of the Burrito Brothers duo and Nelson`s guitarist not only on the Memphis album but for a few years on the road.

``He was offered a chance to come to Nashville and record an album, and he totally refused it. I don`t know exactly why, except maybe that his roots were in rock and roll, whether it was Los Angeles or Memphis, and he didn`t want to come down here and do bland country records. When the idea of Memphis was brought up, I remember him saying, `You`re getting pretty close to Nashville there.`

``I`ll tell you right from the outset Rick wouldn`t have wanted anybody touching those tapes. Rick and Larry and I mixed that album--it was finished

--and no matter how good this album that Steve Buckingham did is, it`s another case of people feeling they have to take a pioneer artist like Rick or Hank Williams and always update them. I think the album should have been left the way Rick intended it to come out.``

Buckingham, who came to Nashville from Atlanta and Los Angeles a couple of years ago after having produced such pop artists as Dionne Warwick and Melissa Manchester, removed much of Beland`s electric guitar work from the LP and did not include the one song Beland and Nelson co-wrote for it.

Buckingham says his changes didn`t update Nelson as much as they restored him to the type of musical background in which he made his greatest hits. He replaced the original drums and some of Beland`s original guitar with hotter drum work, more classic rockabilly-sounding guitar licks and state-of-the-art digital cleanness of sound.

The result transforms inspired work that no doubt would have excited Nelson fans into a package that should delight anybody who enjoys classic rock and roll, heartfelt vocal work and good music-making. Buckingham`s technique brings Nelson`s voice out front as never before.

Beland--who grants that Buckingham is one of Nashville`s best producers and says he`s glad CBS handed the project to him if it had to be given to somebody else at all--says he called CBS executives after Nelson died and let them know they owned the Memphis tapes.

Beland says he would have volunteered to ``re-produce`` them for nothing and concedes he would have done one of the things Buckingham did: ``I would have beefed up the drums a little.``

Buckingham says CBS executives wanted the project to be of the highest possible quality, noting that they could have merely taken the original tapes and shoved them into the marketplace as they were, without going to the considerable expense of the reconstruction process.

``What I didn`t want to do was rush out something and have everybody say, `They`re capitalizing on a tragedy,` `` Buckingham says. ``Pains were taken with everything, including the artwork. We wanted it to be something CBS could be proud of.

``I knew it was a delicate line. I didn`t want to intrude on the things that already had been done, but we couldn`t leave it like it was. They wouldn`t have put it out because of the condition the tape had gotten in from lying around so long and things like that. The fidelity of the tape would have been pretty poor.``
Buckingham had a fine set of lead vocals to work with. Beland says that Nelson, after having been no more than ``furniture`` on some Los Angeles sessions in the mid-1970s, was an ``excited`` fountain of input in Memphis.

Nelson went there with ``about five songs that we--Rick, his manager Greg McDonald and I--had joked among ourselves that it would be fun to cut,``

Beland says.

``Songs like `Dream Lover` and `It`s All Over Now.` And in Memphis Larry came up with a couple of tunes, such as `Sleep Tight Goodnight Man` and `Send Me Somebody To Love.` We tried to cross the old rock and roll of Bobby Darin and Buddy Holly with, say, James Taylor. We were trying to think, `How would those people have done these tunes?` ``

The sessions` first crucial moment came, Beland says, when Nelson

``picked up his guitar and started messing around with `That`s All Right, Mama,` `` which wasn`t one of the songs they originally had planned to record. ``He did it first more like a joke, because we were talking about being in Memphis and Presley`s place being just down the road, but we just kind of kicked into gear from that.``

Beland says Nelson departed Memphis thinking he had laid the groundwork for his own resurrection, and events immediately thereafter supported that opinion.

He went to New York to do the ``Saturday Night Live`` TV show and wowed it with four of his oldies and ``Dream Lover,`` which was then being released as a single. ``Dream Lover`` became his first significant record since

``Garden Party`` several years earlier, and Beland says that on the road it was received as if it were No. 1.

But suddenly everything stopped. Beland theorizes CBS wasn`t sufficiently interested in the record and let it die. Anyway, no more of the Memphis material came out at the time, and Nelson moved on to Capitol Records.

A couple of years later, CBS did release a four-song EP containing

``That`s All Right Mama,`` ``It`s Almost Saturday Night,`` ``Rave On`` and

``It`s All Over Now,`` but they had been overdubbed with slide and fuzz-style guitars and a crowd noise that Buckingham describes as sounding ``like the Super Bowl.``

``Everything kind of went downhill after `Dream Lover,` and I think CBS really lost the ball,`` says Beland, who soon moved on into a starring role of his own in the Burrito Brothers duo.

``I think if they had released some of the tracks on that album and followed up `Dream Lover,` they could`ve had a second career with him. They could have made him like an Eddie Rabbitt or Kenny Rogers. He could have had a revival the way the Everly Brothers are having today.``

By Jack Hurst - June 08, 1986
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986 ... ick-nelson

R-2071725-1262372772.jpeg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:29 pm

I love the Memphis Sessions album, I don't care what they did, it sounds great to me!

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:58 pm

interesting stuff Tony :D

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:59 pm

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:50 pm

A superb copy of the 'Rick Sings Nelson' LP complete with it's original poster still inside !
F A N T A S T I C !
How much?
£8.00
Bought by me today, now I'm 'A Happy Guy'

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg

javilu

Postby javilu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:46 pm