New FTD: Guitar Man – The 67/68 Sessions

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
TheKingForever

Re: New FTD: Guitar Man – The 67/68 Sessions

Postby TheKingForever » Fri Aug 02, 2024 11:49 am

ClausH wrote:The set is out and I checked out Goin' Home and U.S. Male.

The Goin' Home sessions have been edtited quite a bit. A lot of the swearing has been cut out, both in-between takes but also most of the swearing when he is singing has been edited out.

The Prisoner's Song is present but only a 10 second snippet between takes 1 and 2 of U.S. Male.

The sound is great!

A shame.
Does this mean that many takes just fades out before the swearing part?

ClausH

Postby ClausH » Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:52 pm

TheKingForever wrote:

The Goin' Home sessions have been edtited quite a bit. A lot of the swearing has been cut out, both in-between takes but also most of the swearing when he is singing has been edited out.

The Prisoner's Song is present but only a 10 second snippet between takes 1 and 2 of U.S. Male.

The sound is great!

A shame.

Between takes, it has simply been cut out. Not all swearing in the songs have been edited out, but definitely some of it. It was done at the mixing stage, so the takes continue, but the words are not heard.

Topic author
TheKingForever

Postby TheKingForever » Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:32 pm

ClausH wrote:
TheKingForever wrote:

The sound is great!

A shame.

Between takes, it has simply been cut out. Not all swearing in the songs have been edited out, but definitely some of it. It was done at the mixing stage, so the takes continue, but the words are not heard.

Ok thank you

javilu

Postby javilu » Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:59 pm

ClausH wrote:
TheKingForever wrote:

The sound is great!

A shame.

I am relieved the swearing was cut. Collectors might hear it and think Elvis was human!

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:37 pm

javilu wrote:I am relieved the swearing was cut.
Collectors might hear it and think Elvis was human!

Agreed - the expletives are so fucking unnecessary...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Fri Aug 02, 2024 3:35 pm

I was so hoping they would not do that. It's so unnecessary, pure censorship. Why do that when it's on a collector's label, and why do that knowing that the people who will be listening to it are adults? It stinks.

That doesn't surprise me.
The sound is great!

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:00 pm

John wrote:

I was so hoping they would not do that. It's so unnecessary, pure censorship. Why do that when it's on a collector's label, and why do that knowing that the people who will be listening to it are adults? It stinks.

That doesn't surprise me.
The sound is great!

The excuse previously given for the censorship was that it would be embarrassing for the [then] young Lisa Marie to hear the expletives.

Why these are invalid today:

1 - She isn't 'young' any more.

2 - Her CDs have expletives of their own.

3 - She's deceased.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

javilu

Postby javilu » Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:46 pm

Colin B wrote:
javilu wrote:I am relieved the swearing was cut.
Collectors might hear it and think Elvis was human!

Agreed - the expletives are so fucking unnecessary...

Of course they are. It's a CD released in a collector's label with limited reach. Collector's buying this stuff have it on bootleg for ages and will not complaint about it. Silly, isn't it? I wonder who makes the call on what to censor and what not. Whoever it is, I will call him a bloody cunt. :D

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:47 pm

All this editing ruins the fun of collecting.

We need new people running FTD.

javilu

Postby javilu » Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:58 pm

Why can't they just add a sticker like this one and stop with the bullshit editing?

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:33 pm

It's not the language, it's the context. Thankfully, FTD understand that, whilst sadly many fans don't. And you've all got the bootlegs, so if you really must listen to rubbish like The Prisoner's Song, crack on...

javilu

Postby javilu » Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:19 pm

rockinrebel wrote:It's not the language, it's the context. Thankfully, FTD understand that, whilst sadly many fans don't. And you've all got the bootlegs, so if you really must listen to rubbish like The Prisoner's Song, crack on...

If you read carefully through the thread, it's not just the prisoner song that got axed from the session tape.

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:36 pm

javilu wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:It's not the language, it's the context. Thankfully, FTD understand that, whilst sadly many fans don't. And you've all got the bootlegs, so if you really must listen to rubbish like The Prisoner's Song, crack on...

If you read carefully through the thread, it's not just the prisoner song that got axed from the session tape.

I'm well aware of that, but my point still stands. The idea that everything that was recorded should be released is ridiculous. The sole purpose of these sessions was to create master takes. Listening to the works in progress can be fascinating, but nothing has been edited out here that's essential to the listening experience, and those that are bemoaning the edits already own the bootlegs...

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:45 pm

rockinrebel wrote:
javilu wrote:

I'm well aware of that, but my point still stands. The idea that everything that was recorded should be released is ridiculous. The sole purpose of these sessions was to create master takes. Listening to the works in progress can be fascinating, but nothing has been edited out here that's essential to the listening experience, and those that are bemoaning the edits already own the bootlegs...

You had a valid point 30 years ago, but we are now in some cases 60 years after the fact.

Just release the unedited session for the fanatics. There is no point for editing in this era of collecting.

N880EAP

Postby N880EAP » Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:59 pm

This type of editing by FTD just renders the bootlegs more (permanently) relevant to hardcore fans.
(Wasn't one of the reasons for the FTD label coming in to existence ..... to render bootlegs a less relevant/attractive option?)
"When your heart gets weary, time to sing a song!" Follow That Dream.

Return to “Everything Elvis”