Update on Baz Luhrmann's biopic

All the Elvis you can take

John

Re: Update on Baz Luhrmann's biopic

Postby John » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:30 am

Colin B wrote:I've ordered the BluRay from Amazon.

Long wait for delivery though:

Elvis Film - Amazon Pre-order.JPG

It'll be here before you know it.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:56 pm

Elvis Film - Amazon Pre-order.JPG

You know that's the 4K version, don't you? You get a Blu-ray with it, but if you don't have a 4K player you're paying £10 extra for a disc you can't play.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:29 pm

Richard wrote:You know that's the 4K version, don't you?
You get a Blu-ray with it, but if you don't have a 4K player you're paying £10 extra for a disc you can't play.

If there's a 4K version, I want it !

I've got a 4K TV, but didn't realise the 4K disc needed a different player !

Might have to get one !

Late entry:

Checked my instruction booklet for my Sony UBP-X700 player & it can play 4K !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:15 pm

Colin B wrote:
Richard wrote:You know that's the 4K version, don't you?
You get a Blu-ray with it, but if you don't have a 4K player you're paying £10 extra for a disc you can't play.

If there's a 4K version, I want it !

I've got a 4K TV, but didn't realise the 4K disc needed a different player !

Might have to get one !

If you're going to get one, do a bit of research and Google reviews. You want to get one that has the best upscaling so that your existing discs look their best.

They're not cheap, though. It's not like walking into Asda and buying a £40 BluRay machine.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:45 pm

Richard wrote:If you're going to get one, do a bit of research and Google reviews. You want to get one that has the best upscaling so that your existing discs look their best.

They're not cheap, though. It's not like walking into Asda and buying a £40 BluRay machine.

See the 'Late Entry' I've added to my post.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:52 pm

Colin B wrote:
Richard wrote:If you're going to get one, do a bit of research and Google reviews. You want to get one that has the best upscaling so that your existing discs look their best.

See the 'Late Entry' I've added to my post.

Oh, good. I had that player, it's very good for upscaling.

HD_RES

Postby HD_RES » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:12 am

Only approx 6 weeks before this movie is out on bluray/4K disc.
The digital version (VOD) will be available to buy on august 9.

Rickeap

Postby Rickeap » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:43 am

I liked this quote spotted on Twitter today:

Don't get me wrong, I like a superhero as much as the next man. But this year, the only caped crusader that has left me in tears is the one covered in rhinestones. #ElvisMovie

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:48 am

There are perfect quality copies of the film floating around the torrent sites as of 6 hours ago. There's even a 4K, HDR version with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

Private Presley

Postby Private Presley » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:00 am

‘Elvis’ Dances Past $250 Million at the Global Box Office

Audiences couldn't help but fall in love with Baz Luhrmann's maximalist biopic.
BY
RAHUL MALHOTRA

Much like The King of Rock and Rock himself, director Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis is still making noise well past its prime. The second-biggest music biopic of all time (behind Bohemian Rhapsody) passed the $250 million mark at the global box office in its seventh week of release, with a VOD debut looming.

Elvis added $4.5 million this weekend from 70 markets, pushing its overseas gross to $114 million. Domestically, the film made $3.7 million this weekend, taking its total to $136 million. Elvis’ success marks a much-needed win for adult-skewing dramas in the pandemic era, after infamous flops such as Ridley Scott’s The Last Duel and Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story. All three films came with hefty budgets ranging from $85 million (Elvis) to $100 million each for The Last Duel and West Side Story. The sole outlier during this unfortunate phase was Scott’s other 2021 drama, House of Gucci, which made $156 million worldwide against a reported $75 million budget — thanks mostly to Lady Gaga’s buzzy performance and a true crime-friendly plot.

At nearly 160 minutes long and featuring some of Luhrmann’s most extravagantly idiosyncratic filmmaking, Elvis' success was hardly written in stone. While reviews have been largely favorable, criticism has been directed at Lurhmann’s decision to frame the story through the perspective of Presley’s controversial manager, Colonel Tom Parker (Tom Hanks). Virtually everybody, however, was in agreement about Austin Butler’s star-making central performance.

Elvis is also the second highest-grossing film of Luhrmann’s career, behind 2013’s The Great Gatsby. That film grossed $350 million worldwide at the peak of the 3D era, thanks mostly to Leonardo DiCaprio’s star-power. While Elvis will most likely not surpass The Great Gatsby’s worldwide haul, it’s already the biggest Warner Bros. title of the pandemic, having passed the domestic box office totals of two major blockbusters distributed by the studio — director Denis Villeneuve’s science-fiction epic Dune ($108 million), and Adam Wingard’s monster mashup Godzilla vs. Kong ($100 million). It should be noted that both those films debuted day-and-date on the HBO Max streaming service, and were released at a time when the public was more cautious about falling sick.

Elvis will be available for Premium Digital Ownership and for Video OnDemand rental on August 9, and will later be released on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-Ray, and DVD on September 13. You can watch our interview with Luhrmann here, and read the film’s official synopsis down below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdaSLKK4L0&t=10s&ab_channel=ColliderInterviews

https://collider.com/elvis-global-box-o ... 0-million/
ImageImage

jbgude

Postby jbgude » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:34 pm

Surprise, surprise the movie is on amazon prime in India and some other Asian countries......at approx $6.

HillbillyCat

Postby HillbillyCat » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:20 pm

It's also on amazon prime in Europe, watched it yesterday. My brother - who said weeks ago he doesn't want to spend 10 Euros for a cinema ticket - left me speechless as he bought it for 20 Euros (!) and ask me to come over and join watching. :roll: I wouldn't even have been willing to pay 20 euros for the Blu-ray I actually wanted to wait for. But as the saying goes: "Never look a gift horse in the mouth.", so I accepted the invitation.

What can I say? I don't want to be too critical, after all it's the fairy tale I expected a few months ago after watching the first trailer. The scene I liked best was the triumphantly staged "If I Can Dream"-climax of the '68 comeback show. But straight to the point: For me personally it doesn't even come close to the real thing... and "that's all I have to say about that"!

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:46 pm

HillbillyCat wrote:It's also on amazon prime in Europe, watched it yesterday. My brother - who said weeks ago he doesn't want to spend 10 Euros for a cinema ticket - left me speechless as he bought it for 20 Euros (!) and ask me to come over and join watching. :roll: I wouldn't even have been willing to pay 20 euros for the Blu-ray I actually wanted to wait for. But as the saying goes: "Never look a gift horse in the mouth.", so I accepted the invitation.

What can I say? I don't want to be too critical, after all it's the fairy tale I expected a few months ago after watching the first trailer. The scene I liked best was the triumphantly staged "If I Can Dream"-climax of the '68 comeback show. But straight to the point: For me personally it doesn't even come close to the real thing... and "that's all I have to say about that"!

Nice review.....I will wait til it's free with commercials in it.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:06 pm

I've downloaded a version of the film in perfect HD quality from BT.

The track Vegas Rehearsal - That's All Right with Austin Butler & Elvis singing, we also hear snatches from Arthur 'Big Boy' Crudup
[played by Gary Clark Jr.].

This track is heard on the soundtrack & on the 36-song compilation, but it's missing from the CD.

A question: Do we hear the voice of Crudup himself, or the actor Gary Clark Jr. ?
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

HD_RES

Postby HD_RES » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:49 pm

Wow the 4K+HDR streaming version looks simply amazing on my OLED tv.
The disc release next month will look even better....Warner shut up and take my money :)

Return to “Everything Elvis”