Update on Baz Luhrmann's biopic

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
mojo-workin

Re: Update on Baz Luhrmann's biopic

Postby mojo-workin » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:40 am

The film release has been postponed until June 2022.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/baz-luhrmann-elvis-movie-release-date-1234895104/

It was due to be released this November but apparently has 5 more weeks of shooting to do (that would take the complete shoot to about 17-18 weeks, which is pretty epic compared to a lot of productions). Luhrmann is renowned for taking a long time in post-production. His last film "The Great Gatsby" was shot in late 2011 but wasn't released until May 2013.

Topic author
mojo-workin

Postby mojo-workin » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:11 pm

Here's some recently leaked drone footage of the film set in Australia. Looks like a recreation of Beale Street, including Lansky Brothers, sometime during the 1950's (bear in mind that Luhrmann has use of the complete studio lot & all sound stages, so this is only a small part of the film set). Around the 2 minute mark, that's Luhrmann who spots the drone flying overhead

ep-biopic.mp4

Here's a facebook video link incase the MP4 doesn't work:
https://www.facebook.com/legmen/videos/10157704025566712/?t=285
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:49 am

mojo-workin wrote:Here's some recently leaked drone footage of the film set in Australia. Looks like a recreation of Beale Street, including Lansky Brothers, sometime during the 1950's (bear in mind that Luhrmann has use of the complete studio lot & all sound stages, so this is only a small part of the film set). Around the 2 minute mark, that's Luhrmann who spots the drone flying overhead

ep-biopic.mp4

Thank you.

I wonder if the police were called.

It would be so tough, for all concerned, due to the heat, filming this time of year.

Our temperatures are, on a good day, 30C, (86F) at this time of year, Baz would be filming in temperatures of up to 40C plus (104F) in the shade, on some days, along with the humidity, which is a killer.

Topic author
mojo-workin

Postby mojo-workin » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:20 pm

Mountain Mist wrote:
mojo-workin wrote:Here's some recently leaked drone footage of the film set in Australia. Looks like a recreation of Beale Street, including Lansky Brothers, sometime during the 1950's (bear in mind that Luhrmann has use of the complete studio lot & all sound stages, so this is only a small part of the film set). Around the 2 minute mark, that's Luhrmann who spots the drone flying overhead

ep-biopic.mp4

Thank you.

It would be so tough, for all concerned, due to the heat, filming this time of year.

Our temperatures are, on a good day, 30C, (86F) at this time of year, Baz would be filming in temperatures of up to 40C plus (104F) in the shade, on some days, along with the humidity, which is a killer.

Wow that must be hard for all the actors, extras + crew, especially with COVID restrictions. And here in the UK we're freezing our rear ends off in -2C temperatures... :shock:

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:02 pm

Mountain Mist wrote:

ep-biopic.mp4

Thank you.

That's about equivalent to the temperatures on the real Beale St in Summer.
That's some attention to detail he's going to. :lol:

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:31 am

TonyS wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:

ep-biopic.mp4

Thank you.

That's about equivalent to the temperatures on the real Beale St in Summer.
That's some attention to detail he's going to. :lol:

Yes, "Killin' Everyone Softly"

:lol:

I want an umbrella holder man, lol lol lol

Topic author
mojo-workin

Postby mojo-workin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:04 pm

Filming on the movie finished a couple of weeks ago. We'll probably get a trailer by the end of this year.

It's worth nothing that movement coach Polly Bennett worked with Austin Butler on the movie. Bennett previously worked with Rami Malek for his role as Freddie Mercury in the Queen biopic "Bohemian Rhapsody". Butler also worked with dialect coach Erik Singer - who's worth checking out on YouTube for his videos about regional accents.

Chaydon Jay was cast as the young Elvis
chaydon-jay.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:50 pm

I realised Baz Luhrmann was currently filming an Elvis-related film in Australia.

What I didn't know was that he had a UK No.1 single in 1999 !

UK Singles Chart - 6th June, 1999 - 001.jpg

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVQeP5vRP5E

It looks like he never appeared in the UK singles chart again !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:03 am

Colin B wrote:I realised Baz Luhrmann was currently filming an Elvis-related film in Australia.

Here's the video:

A classic.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:47 pm

Colin B wrote:I realised Baz Luhrmann was currently filming an Elvis-related film in Australia.

Here's the video:

It looks like he never appeared in the UK singles chart again !

Is that Baz with a put on American accent?

Lou A.

Postby Lou A. » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:49 am

I really don’t know much about this film, but I’m beginning to get the feeling it won’t do a lot for Elvis’s legacy, judging by what I’m reading here.

Topic author
mojo-workin

Postby mojo-workin » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:19 pm

Lou A. wrote:I really don’t know much about this film, but I’m beginning to get the feeling it won’t do a lot for Elvis’s legacy, judging by what I’m reading here.

Not much is known about the film right now because all involved in the production are under strict "non disclosure agreements" until the PR campaign begins - which is common for big studio films these days. I did find a few recent press quotes though.

Kelvin Harrison Jr who plays BB King said this:
"It's a lot of escapism. Baz (Luhrmann) is a genius and his interpretation of (Presley's) life is so extraordinary" https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2021/05/07/kelvin-harrison-jr-interview-netflix-monster-game-of-thrones-elvis/4986563001/

This from a recent interview with Luhrmann:
Luhrmann is guarded about revealing too much about the film.
“It’s like a pregnancy,” he said. “It might be all going really well but you don’t want to talk about your child until your child is safe.”
But Luhrmann is happy to say the performances, headed by Hanks and Butler, are “terrific” and that he has enjoyed working on the Gold Coast.
“Everyone just dug in deep. I think they were just aware of the privilege of being able to actually make something.”

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/musicals/people-said-the-movie-musical-will-never-be-successful-again-baz-luhrmann-on-why-the-critics-were-wrong-about-moulin-rouge-20210503-p57oan.html

Luhrmann mentioned in a recent podcast interview that Austin Butler will be portraying Elvis from his late teen's up until his early 40's.
It was also mentioned in another article that the music production team had access to all the multi-track masters (presumably from 1960 onwards, with the 50's mono catalogue being recreated with modern musicians?- pure speculation really!).

The current official press synopsis for the film:
“The film delves into the complex dynamic between Presley and Parker spanning over 20 years, from Presley’s rise to fame to his unprecedented stardom, against the backdrop of the evolving cultural landscape and loss of innocence in America".

Lou A.

Postby Lou A. » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:48 am

mojo-workin wrote:
Lou A. wrote:I really don’t know much about this film, but I’m beginning to get the feeling it won’t do a lot for Elvis’s legacy, judging by what I’m reading here.

Not much is known about the film right now because all involved in the production are under strict "non disclosure agreements" until the PR campaign begins - which is common for big studio films these days. I did find a few recent press quotes though.

Kelvin Harrison Jr who plays BB King said this:
"It's a lot of escapism. Baz (Luhrmann) is a genius and his interpretation of (Presley's) life is so extraordinary" https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2021/05/07/kelvin-harrison-jr-interview-netflix-monster-game-of-thrones-elvis/4986563001/

This from a recent interview with Luhrmann:
Luhrmann is guarded about revealing too much about the film.
“It’s like a pregnancy,” he said. “It might be all going really well but you don’t want to talk about your child until your child is safe.”
But Luhrmann is happy to say the performances, headed by Hanks and Butler, are “terrific” and that he has enjoyed working on the Gold Coast.
“Everyone just dug in deep. I think they were just aware of the privilege of being able to actually make something.”

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/musicals/people-said-the-movie-musical-will-never-be-successful-again-baz-luhrmann-on-why-the-critics-were-wrong-about-moulin-rouge-20210503-p57oan.html

Luhrmann mentioned in a recent podcast interview that Austin Butler will be portraying Elvis from his late teen's up until his early 40's.
It was also mentioned in another article that the music production team had access to all the multi-track masters (presumably from 1960 onwards, with the 50's mono catalogue being recreated with modern musicians?- pure speculation really!).

The current official press synopsis for the film:
“The film delves into the complex dynamic between Presley and Parker spanning over 20 years, from Presley’s rise to fame to his unprecedented stardom, against the backdrop of the evolving cultural landscape and loss of innocence in America".

Okay! That sounds a little more hopeful.
It would be nice if we got a GOOD FILM
that portrayed Elvis in a mostly positive light and emphasized his talent and accomplishments.
We’ll see!

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:08 am

Often I am clairvoyant when it comes to these type of things, and
I have a feeling it will suck as much or worse than the Searcher.
I am usually spot on.

Topic author
mojo-workin

Postby mojo-workin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:26 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:Often I am clairvoyant when it comes to these type of things, and
I have a feeling it will suck as much or worse than the Searcher.
I am usually spot on.

Lol i totally understand your cynicism (considering past biopics and documentaries)
Regardless of whether we like the film or not, it's important to understand the size of this production & the amount of money that will be invested in the film's promotion. Elvis' legacy will be mainstream media fodder for a while. I'll go into more depth on a separate post.

Return to “Everything Elvis”