Crying, Waiting, Hoping - Buddy, Jape and Ritchie - The Last Tour - 60th Anniversary Tribute

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Mojo Filter

Re: Crying, Waiting, Hoping - Buddy, Jape and Ritchie - The Last Tour - 60th Anniversary Tribute

Postby Mojo Filter » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:31 am

Buddy, Joe and Jerry:

FB_IMG_1587325012776.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Topic author
Mister Moon

Re: Crying, Waiting, Hoping - Buddy, Jape and Ritchie - The Last Tour - 60th Anniversary Tribute

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:09 pm

590203 Mason City.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 pm

Ticket for what would have been the last show of the WDP tour - Springfield, Illinois :

590215 - Springfield.JPG

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:54 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Ticket for what would have been the last show of the WDP tour - Springfield, Illinois :

590215 - Springfield.JPG

Paul McCartney was once asked if there was anything he would have wished for his answer was: "i wish Buddy Holly didn't get on that plane".
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:08 am

"i found that you're a rover and it made me blue..."

FB_IMG_1612605589717.jpg

Two legends that will "Not Fade Away"...

FB_IMG_1612605673013.jpg

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:29 pm

Waylon Jennings interviewed at the Surf Ballroom (Clear Lake, Iowa), the site of the last concert, in 1995. The first time he'd been there since that night in 1959.

Very cool insights on Buddy Holly :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPgC4Aiu5Gw

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:19 pm

63 years ago yesterday.

"Reminiscing" has to be one of the great unsung Buddy Holly recordings. Credited to King Curtis, who played tenor sax at the session, it was recorded in 1958 but not released until 1962.

A certain band from Liverpool was hep enough to incorporate ii in their repertory, and a live recording done December 1962 at the Star-Club in Hamburg has survived, with vocals by one George Harrison :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY8cwapv0qk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwbK5KZbYBg

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:37 pm

Time for another set of very rarely seen images from this tour. Good things come to those who wait.

Another "Phoenix" exclusive !

Friday, January 23 -- Million Dollar (George Devine's) Ballroom -- Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

AUTOGRAPH2.JPG

Saturday, January 24 -- Eagles Ballroom -- Kenosha, Wisconsin.

590124 Ritchie Bopper WDP.png

Sunday, January 25 -- Kato Ballroom -- Mankato, Minnesota.

11.JPG

Monday, January 26 -- Fournier's Ballroom -- Eau Claire, Wisconsin.

8.JPG

Tuesday, January 27 -- Fiesta Ballroom -- Montevideo, Minnesota.

8.JPG

Wednesday, January 28 -- Promenade Ballroom -- Saint Paul, Minnesota.

3.JPG

Thursday, January 29 -- Capitol Theater -- Davenport, Iowa (no known photos).

ALLSUP 2009 2.JPG

Friday, January 30 -- Laramar Ballroom -- Fort Dodge, Iowa.

BuddyandTommyJan301959-FortDodgeIA.jpg

Saturday, January 31 -- National Guard Armory -- Duluth, Minnesota.

CRICKETS.JPG

Sunday, February 1 -- Cinderella Ballroom -- Appleton, Wisconsin (cancelled).

Sunday, February 1 -- Riverside Ballroom -- Green Bay, Wisconsin.

2 2.JPG

Monday, February 2 -- Surf Ballroom -- Clear Lake, Iowa.

590202 a.jpg

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:21 pm

I posted the following stuff exactly six years ago as a standalone item. I believe it fits here, so here go :

When Los Angeles music journalist Jim Dawson wrote to ex-Beatle John Lennon in 1974, he included a short questionnaire along with his letter asking about the influence that singer-songwriter Buddy Holly and his backing band The Crickets had had on Lennon and other British musicians of that era.

Somewhat uncharacteristically, the often sarcastic and irreverent Lennon returned the questionnaire complete with factual and informative answers, revealing that Holly had greatly influenced him and his writing partner Paul McCartney.

(...)

I have reproduced the completed questionnaire below, and have preserved Lennon's somewhat erratic capitalization and punctuation.

1. How did you personally react to the Crickets' tour of England in 1958?

i only saw them on the london palladium (on T.V.) he was great! it was the first time i saw a fender guitar! being played!! while the singer sang!!! also the 'secret' of the drumming on Peggy Sue was revealed...live...

2. What effect do you think it had on British musicians?

i only know its effect on me. but i reckon the records had the biggest effect on all of us. EVERY GROUP TRIED TO BE THE CRICKETS.
the name BEATLES was directly inspired by CRICKETS (DOUBLE ENTENDRE / INSECTS etc...)
i think the greatest effect was on THE SONG WRITING (ESPECIALLY MINE AND PAULS)

3. What do you think of Buddy Holly, musically and historically?

he was a great and innovative musician. he was a 'MASTER'. his influence continues. i often wonder what his music would be like now, had he lived...

4. Do you think his music had any effect on the style of the Beatles? On your own feelings towards music?

see above. we did practically everything he put out. I.E. at the cavern etc, etc. what he did with '3' chords made a songwriter out of me!!

5. Other remarks?

he was the first guy i ever saw with a capo. he made it O.K. to wear glasses! i WAS buddy holly.

The questionnaire is signed, "love, John Lennon".
There's a bespectacled smiley in the bottom right hand corner.

http://everything2.com/user/mofaha/writeups/John+Lennon+on+Buddy+Holly

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:45 pm

Holly, Richardson and Valens were scheduled to hit the Val Air Ballroom in Des Moines, Iowa, on Thursday, February 5 - it was never to be.

Another rarely seen document - this is how the front page of the local newspaper looked like on February 3. Absolute shock for all the youngsters who were waiting for the show :

WDP Des Moines (2).jpg

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:45 pm

64 years ago today.

More images from the Duluth concert.

17-year-old Robert Zimmerman was in the audience :

Saturday, January 31 -- National Guard Armory -- Duluth, Minnesota.

590131 Duluth Belmonts.jpg

590131 Duluth Bopper.jpg

590131 Duluth Holly.jpg

590131 Duluth Valens.jpg

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:42 pm

Buddy was greatly inspired by Mickey & Sylvia's recordings for Groove. He would record as a demo two of their biggest classics, "Love Is Strange" and "Dearest", and in 1957 he created a futuristic record that shared direct lineage to those songs.

One of his masterpieces :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIczFa1GMog

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:51 pm

65 years ago tonight.

The poster for the third date of the tour - Sunday, January 25, 1959 -- Kato Ballroom -- Mankato, Minnesota :

590125 Mankato WDP.jpg

Return to “Off Topic”