Johnny Cash and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Johnny Cash and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:39 am

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/johnny-cas ... tra-album/

It has been announced that 12 Johnny Cash recordings have been reworked by the famous Royal Philharmonic Orchestra for a special new album which is set to be released via Columbia Records on November 13th.

Producers Don Reedman and Nick Patrick consulted with John Carter Cash, who serves as Executive Producer on the record, which features a career-spanning selection of 12 Johnny Cash master recordings centring the album. Tracks on the record include Cash classics such as ‘Man In Black’ and ‘Ring Of Fire’ as well as the stunning collaboration with Bob Dylan on the timeless ‘Girl From The North Country’.

“I believe we have captured the emotion, sensitivity and genuine honesty of Johnny Cash through his storytelling and his touching and captivating vocal performances,” says Don Reedman in his notes for Johnny Cash and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. “Making this album with my co-producer Nick Patrick has been a true labour of love, and I believe we have captured the complete spirit and musical message that makes Johnny Cash such a heart-touching and loved artist, whom we are so honoured to serve in our way,” he added.

Nick Patrick adds, “All these things make up an extraordinary artist. An artist who told the truth, no matter what the consequences. An artist who spoke for the man in the street, who spoke for those with no voice. An artist whose faith spoke through his music. Making this album has been a life affirming experience, one I will never forget. We thank from the bottom of our hearts the Cash Family for entrusting us with it.”

John Carter Cash also reminisced in the liner notes for the record about his father introducing him into the world of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. “I was around ten years old and he and I went to see three films from the James Bond saga at a festival in New York,” Cash wrote. “When the theme for Goldfinger began, he leaned over to me. ‘That’s the finest orchestra in the world, son, he said. ‘That’s the Royal Philharmonic'”.

Check out ‘Ring Of Fire’ reimagined and check out the tracklist, below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg43Hhqa_zU

‘Man In Black’
‘Galway Bay’
‘Girl From The North Country’ (Bob Dylan with Johnny Cash)
‘I Came To Believe’
‘A Thing Called Love’
‘The Loving Gift’ (with June Carter Cash)
‘I Walk The Line’
‘Farther Along’ (featuring Duane Eddy)
‘Flesh and Blood’
‘The Gambler’
‘Ring Of Fire’
‘Highwayman’ (The Highwaymen: Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash)

Mojo Filter

Re: Johnny Cash and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:30 am

None of his Sun stuff on there thank god!!
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

John

Postby John » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:09 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/johnny-cash-royal-philharmonic-orchestra-album/

It has been announced that 12 Johnny Cash recordings have been reworked by the famous Royal Philharmonic Orchestra for a special new album which is set to be released via Columbia Records on November 13th.

Producers Don Reedman and Nick Patrick consulted with John Carter Cash, who serves as Executive Producer on the record, which features a career-spanning selection of 12 Johnny Cash master recordings centring the album. Tracks on the record include Cash classics such as ‘Man In Black’ and ‘Ring Of Fire’ as well as the stunning collaboration with Bob Dylan on the timeless ‘Girl From The North Country’.

“I believe we have captured the emotion, sensitivity and genuine honesty of Johnny Cash through his storytelling and his touching and captivating vocal performances,” says Don Reedman in his notes for Johnny Cash and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. “Making this album with my co-producer Nick Patrick has been a true labour of love, and I believe we have captured the complete spirit and musical message that makes Johnny Cash such a heart-touching and loved artist, whom we are so honoured to serve in our way,” he added.

Nick Patrick adds, “All these things make up an extraordinary artist. An artist who told the truth, no matter what the consequences. An artist who spoke for the man in the street, who spoke for those with no voice. An artist whose faith spoke through his music. Making this album has been a life affirming experience, one I will never forget. We thank from the bottom of our hearts the Cash Family for entrusting us with it.”

John Carter Cash also reminisced in the liner notes for the record about his father introducing him into the world of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. “I was around ten years old and he and I went to see three films from the James Bond saga at a festival in New York,” Cash wrote. “When the theme for Goldfinger began, he leaned over to me. ‘That’s the finest orchestra in the world, son, he said. ‘That’s the Royal Philharmonic'”.

‘Man In Black’
‘Galway Bay’
‘I Came To Believe’
‘A Thing Called Love’
‘I Walk The Line’
‘Flesh and Blood’
‘The Gambler’
‘Ring Of Fire’

The RPO should not be associated with some artists, Cash is one of them.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:45 am

John wrote:
WalterHaleJnr wrote:https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/johnny-cash-royal-philharmonic-orchestra-album/

‘Man In Black’
‘Galway Bay’
‘I Came To Believe’
‘A Thing Called Love’
‘I Walk The Line’
‘Flesh and Blood’
‘The Gambler’
‘Ring Of Fire’

The RPO should not be associated with some artists, Cash is one of them.

Yeah 'Ring of Fire' was not very good. I agree. But I wouldn't dismiss the album - yet. I am keen to hear a few of the tracks like 'Farther Along (with Duane Eddy)', 'A Thing Called Love' and 'Man in Black'.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:58 pm

John wrote:The RPO should not be associated with some artists, Cash is one of them.

The RPO should stick to Beethoven and Tchaikovsky. What a cheap act they (RPO) are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTl1LtXPVoc

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:02 am

John

Postby John » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:03 pm

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:18 pm

Tracks from a popular, yet deceased, US singer overdubbed with a posh UK orchestra ?

What will they think of next ?
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:25 pm

The Beach Boys...

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:28 pm

The Ramones... wait - Spector already did that 40 years ago.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:24 pm

John wrote:

Nah.

Why "Nah"?

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:33 pm

Facebook: https://JohnnyCash.lnk.to/_followFI
Instagram: https://JohnnyCash.lnk.to/_followII
Twitter: https://JohnnyCash.lnk.to/_followTI

https://JohnnyCash.lnk.to/subscribeYD

The Johnny Cash archives and social media accounts , as linked above, are nicely done.

The Instagram and YouTube accounts in particular filled with some great archives on both, including plenty of links ranging from his famous american TV show, Denmark 1971, a 1979 Las Vegas concert, the Highwaymen live at Nassau Coliseum in 1990, etc they're all worth checking out.

John

Postby John » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:12 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:
John wrote:

Nah.

Why "Nah"?

His type of music does not benefit from an orchestra.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:12 pm

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:18 pm

That's what Johnny Cash would have wanted, no doubt.

Return to “Off Topic”