Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

It's In The Groove

John

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby John » Fri May 22, 2020 9:34 am

TonyS wrote:
John wrote:
Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:The original Arcade release was in October, 1974.
An immediate massive hit, but denied a place in the UK album charts because of some silly rule !
The chart compilers eventually relented, after 9 months, & allowed it to be listed & it was still at No.1 !
Think how different the chart stats would look if the album had been given its proper due !
RCA finally got round to issuing it themselves in 1978, but despite the pink vinyl, the cream of the sales had already been used up, & it stalled at No.40.
Ben wrote:I have both versions of the album.
I used to love watching the pink one spin when playing.

I had the pink RCA one !

During the divorce [in 1979], my ex-wife got custody of it.

A recent delicate negotiation has seen her return it to me after 40 years !

Seemed odd having to 'negotiate' the return of my own records !

Such is life !

Did you check that it still plays?

He can't, she has custody of the record player ! :lol:

Oooh, nasty, nasty woman! Maybe he can have it weekends.

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Fri May 22, 2020 10:41 am

John wrote:
TonyS wrote:
John wrote:
Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:The original Arcade release was in October, 1974.
An immediate massive hit, but denied a place in the UK album charts because of some silly rule !
The chart compilers eventually relented, after 9 months, & allowed it to be listed & it was still at No.1 !
Think how different the chart stats would look if the album had been given its proper due !
RCA finally got round to issuing it themselves in 1978, but despite the pink vinyl, the cream of the sales had already been used up, & it stalled at No.40.
Ben wrote:I have both versions of the album.
I used to love watching the pink one spin when playing.

I had the pink RCA one !

During the divorce [in 1979], my ex-wife got custody of it.

A recent delicate negotiation has seen her return it to me after 40 years !

Seemed odd having to 'negotiate' the return of my own records !

Such is life !

Did you check that it still plays?

He can't, she has custody of the record player ! :lol:

Oooh, nasty, nasty woman! Maybe he can have it weekends.

Maybe, unless that's the time when she has the record?

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri May 22, 2020 5:36 pm

All quite finished ?
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri May 22, 2020 5:57 pm

Colin B wrote:All quite finished ?

If she got custody of the record does that mean she actually took the album to court and said to the judge, while waving the album in the air, "my lord, can i take this album with me"? Women are good at winding men up.

Still, look on the bright side at least she kept it and didn't snap it in half over her knee. Lol
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Fri May 22, 2020 9:57 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:

If she got custody of the record does that mean she actually took the album to court and said to the judge, while waving the album in the air, "my lord, can i take this album with me"? Women are good at winding men up.

Still, look on the bright side at least she kept it and didn't snap it in half over her knee. Lol

All this reminds me of something.
I've still not got back my BUSH radio cassette player and my Barbara Dickson LP from my old girlfriend.
We broke up in 1983 I think it was.
Bitch ! :lol:

John

Postby John » Fri May 22, 2020 10:00 pm

TonyS wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

I've still not got back my BUSH radio cassette player and my Barbara Dickson LP from my old girlfriend.

I'd think yourself lucky.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri May 22, 2020 11:01 pm

TonyS wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

Women! Always taking things that don't belong to them. Lol.

I've been lucky two of my ex's haven't taken any of my records. But one did say she will throw them in the bin during an argument one day. Luckily it didn't happen but that was in the 90s.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat May 23, 2020 7:18 am

Mojo Filter wrote:If she got custody of the record does that mean she actually took the album to court and said to the judge, while waving the album in the air, "my lord, can i take this album with me"?
Women are good at winding men up.

The divorce judge asked about who lives in the family home, & who pays the rent ?

We explained it was me & he said for us to carry on with that arrangement & simply split the contents up between us.

That's how come my Elvis collection was divided up.

My use of the term 'she got custody of half of it' was just a tongue-in-cheek way of describing it.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Sat May 23, 2020 8:44 am

Colin B wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:If she got custody of the record does that mean she actually took the album to court and said to the judge, while waving the album in the air, "my lord, can i take this album with me"?
Women are good at winding men up.

The divorce judge asked about who lives in the family home, & who pays the rent ?

We explained it was me & he said for us to carry on with that arrangement & simply split the contents up between us.

That's how come my Elvis collection was divided up.

My use of the term 'she got custody of half of it' was just a tongue-in-cheek way of describing it.

When I divorced my ex, she issued a Form E, (financial records). She thought I was trying to hide money, which I wasn't The problem was she also had to then fill out the Form E, it showed that she was hiding £40,000. I was awarded half of it. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. If she hadn't done it in the first place, I'd never have known. After all finances were settled, I kept the house and lived there with our daughter. One day the ex came along, the gate to the garden was open, she marched in and took some gardening implements from the shed. I could have technically reported her for theft.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat May 23, 2020 10:06 am

John wrote:When I divorced my ex, she issued a Form E, (financial records). She thought I was trying to hide money, which I wasn't The problem was she also had to then fill out the Form E, it showed that she was hiding £40,000. I was awarded half of it. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. If she hadn't done it in the first place, I'd never have known. After all finances were settled, I kept the house and lived there with our daughter. One day the ex came along, the gate to the garden was open, she marched in and took some gardening implements from the shed. I could have technically reported her for theft.

Would have been great to see her reaction when she found out she had to part with half of her 'hidden' nest egg !
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Sat May 23, 2020 10:44 am

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:When I divorced my ex, she issued a Form E, (financial records). She thought I was trying to hide money, which I wasn't The problem was she also had to then fill out the Form E, it showed that she was hiding £40,000. I was awarded half of it. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. If she hadn't done it in the first place, I'd never have known. After all finances were settled, I kept the house and lived there with our daughter. One day the ex came along, the gate to the garden was open, she marched in and took some gardening implements from the shed. I could have technically reported her for theft.

Would have been great to see her reaction when she found out she had to part with half of her 'hidden' nest egg !

She was incredibly angry, shouted, accused me of taking her money which was actually an inheritance. When the solicitor told me, I said I didn't want any of it as it came from her granddad and some from an old lady she knew that she'd been visiting. My solicitor said that an inheritance is a family thing and not personal, and as we were still married, I was entitled to half. In addition, given that she'd tried to go for my money, none of which was hidden, the solicitor told me not to feel guilty about it, and just take it, which I did.

She also didn't declare the value of some of the paintings she had, saying they weren't worth much, although previously she'd boasted how valuable they were. While she was at work, I arranged an appointment with a gallery and took them in to have them valued. I then sent this to my solicitor who added them to her Form E.

I'll tell you another time about the £10,000 painting she tried to steal.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat May 23, 2020 10:55 am

John wrote:...I'll tell you another time about the £10,000 painting she tried to steal.

Can't wait !

Your post reminds me how straightforward & uncomplicated my divorce was by comparison !

A solicitor provided me with the [blank] forms I would need & I did everything myself.

I suppose it helped that neither of us had much by way of assets, the house, TV, video recorder etc. all being rented...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 am

You two are cheering me up. I can't wait for my turn.

John

Postby John » Sun May 24, 2020 10:12 am

Ben wrote:You two are cheering me up. I can't wait for my turn.

You've got another 40 years before you can accumulate the types of stories Colin and I have. Maybe we should have a kind of behind closed doors section for tales about our exes. You never know, they might be looking in.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun May 24, 2020 12:10 pm

Ben wrote:You two are cheering me up. I can't wait for my turn.
John wrote:You've got another 40 years before you can accumulate the types of stories Colin and I have.
Maybe we should have a kind of behind closed doors section for tales about our exes.
You never know, they might be looking in.

Ha ha ha !

They might even be members posting under aliases !
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Return to “The Vinyl Countdown”