Memories of Elvis (1978 NBC Special) FOUND!

Movies, TV and You Tube

Topic author
404UNFX

Memories of Elvis (1978 NBC Special) FOUND!

Postby 404UNFX » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:08 pm

TL;DR heres the link, keep reading for a backstory. https://archive.org/details/1978elvisnb ... svhsvcrrip

(Yes I uploaded that in November 2019 but no one seemed to notice on this forum)

I may have made my account just to post this, but it is worth it, it's one of my proudest finds so far. Yesterday I looked up the 1978 NBC special on google to see if there is any information, seeing two separate threads discussing this NBC special. The only thing i saw was a screenshot of one of the Ann Margret segments.
This tape is from eBay. It is a presumably 2nd generation (a copy of a copy) tape of the NBC special (I believe the original recording was from a Betamax tape) I assumed it would be the common One Night With You HBO special from January of 1985, but I was very shocked when I saw something different.
Someone on one of the threads talking about this special said he recorded it on Betamax and cut out all the commercials from it, my copy has some distortion that i know is from Betamax and is rare in VHS, and has commercials cut out. If the person who has the Betamax tape could verify if it cuts like in the archive.org link above, I may have a copy somehow. It seems like there is 5 or 6 minutes missing of the special at the end but I am unable to verify that.
Anyways, hopefully this will be a surprise to a lot of you. Enjoy! :)

I can post verification photos of the tape if needed.

John

Re: Memories of Elvis (1978 NBC Special) FOUND!

Postby John » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:11 pm

404UNFX wrote:TL;DR heres the link, keep reading for a backstory. https://archive.org/details/1978elvisnb ... svhsvcrrip

(Yes I uploaded that in November 2019 but no one seemed to notice on this forum)

I may have made my account just to post this, but it is worth it, it's one of my proudest finds so far. Yesterday I looked up the 1978 NBC special on google to see if there is any information, seeing two separate threads discussing this NBC special. The only thing i saw was a screenshot of one of the Ann Margret segments.
This tape is from eBay. It is a presumably 2nd generation (a copy of a copy) tape of the NBC special (I believe the original recording was from a Betamax tape) I assumed it would be the common One Night With You HBO special from January of 1985, but I was very shocked when I saw something different.
Someone on one of the threads talking about this special said he recorded it on Betamax and cut out all the commercials from it, my copy has some distortion that i know is from Betamax and is rare in VHS, and has commercials cut out. If the person who has the Betamax tape could verify if it cuts like in the archive.org link above, I may have a copy somehow. It seems like there is 5 or 6 minutes missing of the special at the end but I am unable to verify that.

Wow, good stuff 404UNFX, thanks.

Topic author
404UNFX

Postby 404UNFX » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:44 pm

You're welcome!

Mike C

Postby Mike C » Sun May 17, 2020 1:43 am

I was watching this the other night. Looked very good.

Matt Helm

Postby Matt Helm » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:37 pm

Thank You 404UNFX...A wonderful find. It was and it is a very important TV-Special for the Elvis-Fanbase. Why doesn't "A Collectors only DVD" appear?!...Matt

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:46 am

404UNFX wrote:TL;DR heres the link, keep reading for a backstory. https://archive.org/details/1978elvisnb ... svhsvcrrip

Awesome to see it again. Thanks for uploading it.

seasider, keninlincs

Postby seasider, keninlincs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:02 pm

great to see it again

Simon1

Postby Simon1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:42 am

Thanks, I still got it somewhere on Betamax, lol I'm old. But never transferred it so good to see again.

Return to “The King On Screen”