Songs planned for regular studio session

All the Elvis you can take

colonel snow

Re: Songs planned for regular studio session

Postby colonel snow » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:26 pm

deleted by request

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Harty

Postby Harty » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Rock'n Roll Ruby by Johnny Cash , here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIkquyHqqWI

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:36 pm

colonel snow wrote:During the september 1956 sessions Elvis recorded the song Love me; this song was recorded by The Harptones too.

Thanks for your informative posts, colonel.

Regarding the above quote, I had never heard of a version of "Love Me" by The Harptones, so I had to check it out.

It turns out that The Harptones did not record the song under their name, but as an uncredited backing group for The Woodside Sisters, a vocal trio that recorded "Love Me" for X Records, a subisidiary of... RCA Victor. The single was released August 1954.

The version is awful, and it's on YouTube, for those who want to listen to it.

A couple of attachments for you folks :

Woodside Love Me.jpg

541113 BB.JPG

540904 CB.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mister Moon on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevanbudd

Postby kevanbudd » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:47 pm

colonel snow wrote:9 january 1959 letter with (requested) songs for a possible recording session

Like a baby (Stone) – There’s a home recording from december 1958. The song was recorded 3 april 1960.

There’s no tomorrow (Hoffman-Corday-Carr)
There’s a home recording from december 1958.
With new lyrics by Aaron Schroeder & Wally Gold the song was recorded on 3 april 1960 titled “It’s now or never”.

What a lovely thing
I’ve not found information about songwriters or recordings by other singers.

It was never meant to be
The song is written by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman.
In 1960 (unknown date) it was recorded by Dion & The Belmonts. It was released in 1963 on LP Together (Laurie rec. LLP 2016).

Such a night (Chase)
There’s a home recording from december 1958 (1 line). The song was recorded 4 april 1960.

Just a closer walk with thee (traditional)
There’s a home recording from december 1958. The song was never recorded by Elvis.

colonel snow

What a lovely thing - Demo writer unknown but it appears to be performed and wrote (at least in part) by Otis Blackwell, a decent quality rock n roll song.

Kevan Budd.
Last edited by kevanbudd on Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:18 pm

Thanks Kevan for this additional information.

colonel snow

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:29 pm

see first post(s)

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:48 pm

colonel snow wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
colonel snow wrote:During the september 1956 sessions Elvis recorded the song Love me; this song was recorded by The Harptones too.

Thanks for your informative posts, colonel.

Regarding the above quote, I had never heard of a version of "Love Me" by The Harptones, so I had to check it out.

It turns out that The Harptones did not record the song under their name, but as an uncredited backing group for The Woodside Sisters, a vocal trio that recorded "Love Me" for X Records, a subisidiary of... RCA Victor. The single was released August 1954.

The version is awful, and it's on YouTube, for those who want to listen to it.

A couple of attachments for you folks :

Woodside Love Me.jpg

541113 BB.JPG

540904 CB.JPG

Thanks Mr Moon for the addition; I had the right name in my files. I have in my files even another recording in 1954 for "Love me":
1 october 1954 - Jimmy Rodgers Snow (RCA 20-5986)

The version by Jimmie Rodgers Snow was indeed recorded October 1954, but was not released until January 1955. That's why it is absent from the above November 1954 listing :

550122 CB.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:04 pm

see first post(s)

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

DarylR

Postby DarylR » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:40 pm

colonel snow wrote:Songs suggested in letter from 24 august 1956

2 july 1956 – demo acetates
Anyplace is paradise – recorded

I ain't a studying you baby
It was not recorded by Elvis.
It was recorded on 12-03-56 by Don Gibson (MGM K 12494).

Naughty mama
I found song written by Chuck Reed & Fred Shelkofsky (True Pub. & Co) – copyrighted 31 july 1956.

Too much – recorded

24 august 1956 – demo acetates
Your secret’s safe with me
I have not found any information about a recording by other artists.

Shake a hand
It was not recorded by Elvis during the september 1956 sessions. Finally it was recorded during the march 1975 sessions.

I'll be true
The original version was recorded late 1953 by Faye Adams (Herald H 419).

Playing for keeps – recorded

I almost lost my mind
It was not recorded by Elvis. A try-out was done on 1 september 1956 after the abandoned recording of Paralyzed.

The original version was recorded on 21-10-49 by Ivory Joe Hunter (MGM 10578).
Other recordings:
1955 - The Harptones (Bruce rec. 128);
1956 - Pat Boone;
1956 - Eddie Cochran.
During the september 1956 sessions Elvis recorded the song Love me; this song was recorded by The Harptones too.

The song was published in 1955 on “Elvis Presley Album of Jukebox favorites” (Hill and Range).

Ooby dooby
The song was written by Wade Moore & Dick Penner (Hi Lo Music) – copyrighted 28-03-56.
The original version was recorded on 04-03-56 by Teen Kings with vocal Roy Orbison on Jewel 101. Soon re-recorded by Roy Orbison & The Teen Kings on Sun 242.

Other versions:
1956 - Sid King & The Five Strings (Columbia 40680);
1956 - Janis Martin (RCA 20/47-6560.

Rock ‘n’ roll Ruby
The song was written by Johnny Cash and recorded by him around november 1955 but the song was never released. (Hi Lo Music – copyrighted 7 feb. 1956)
Other recordings:
05-02-56 - Warren Smith (Sun 239);
25-04-56 – Johnny Carroll & his Hot Rocks (Decca 29940);
00-05-56 – Dave Burton (RCA 47-6535).

Rock around the clock
The original version was recorded on 20-03-54 by Sonny Dae & The Knights (Arcade 123).
Another version was recorded on 12-04-54 by Bill Haley & his Comets (Decca 29124).

It is known that Elvis performed the song on several occasions in 1955 including the Hayride on
19-11-55.

Stop beatin' 'round the mulberry bush
Written by Bickley Reichner & Clay Boland

I found a few recordings:

11-07-38 - Tommy Dorsey & his Orchestra (Victor 26012);
30-07-38 - Kay Kyser & his Orchestra (Brunswick 8197);
11-08-38 - Al Donahue & his Orchestra (Vocalion 4318);
22-08-38 - Count Basie (Decca 2004);
00-08-52 - Bill Haley (Essex 45-310).

colonel snow

The Chuck Reed that co-wrote "Naughty Mama" also wrote the Carl Perkins song "Levi Jacket (And A Long Tail Shirt)."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZg-ovxR3rg

Part of the reason why Steve Sholes may have suggested Elvis record "Ooby Dooby" is because he had just produced the Janis Martin version a few months earlier (recorded on May 11, 1956 at RCA New York). In fact, Elvis name-checked the title "Ooby Dooby" during the May 1956 Little Rock concert, which we have a recording of. So obviously, Elvis was aware of the song and specifically the Roy Orbison version. And of course there is the Wertheimer photograph of Elvis on the train back to Memphis after the July 2, 1956 sessions in which you see a package laying next to where Elvis is seated where you see the Sun logo on the package. Could this package have contained a copy of Roy Orbison's version of "Ooby Dooby" and possibly Memphis songwriter Stan Kesler's demo of "Playing For Keeps." Steve Sholes suggested both songs in his August 24, 1956 letter.

kevanbudd

Postby kevanbudd » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:55 pm

Hi Colonel Snow, see my additions below in pink -

colonel snow wrote:It’s not a selection for a studio recording session
It gives an idea about songwriters / selection for the movie IHATWF
For this movie Don Robertson wrote 10 songs
In the pre-selection 8 songs from those 10 songs were rejected.

A – Take me to the fair
For the movie "Take me to the fair" aka "It happened at the world's fair" - opening (scene 4) were selected the next songs:

Take me to fair - written by Robertson - Blair = rejected
Take me to fair - written by Wise - Weisman = Elvis' favorite but not recorded
Take me to fair - written by Tepper - Bennett = producer's favorite and recorded later on 22 september 1962 titled Take me to the fair # 2

Additional versons submitted -

4. Take me to the fair - Singleton and Ott.
5. Take me to the fair - Doc Pomus and Alan Jefferies
6. Take me to the fair (different song) - Wise and Weisman (They submitted at least two different songs for this title)

B – Ballad of the bush pilot
Song written by Don Robertson and Hal Blair ; the song was rejected in the pre-selection.

2. Bush pilot - Pomus and Shuman (this is a fast paced number)

C – The ballad of Sue Lin
Song written by Don Robertson; the song was rejected in the pre-selection.

Also known as -

1. Lullaby for Sue Lin (song spot 7)

D – E – I’m falling in love tonight & They remind me too much of you were recorded.

I’ve no information about the 5 other demo versions from Don Robertson.

Additional Don Robertson songs submitted -

1. Mine all mine - Don Robertson (For Take me to the fair, song spot number 2)

2. The bright new world of tomorrow - Don Robertson
3. Someone to come home to - Don Robertson

F – It happened at the world’s fair
According to ASCAP the song was written by Don Robertson.
It’s probably one of these 8 rejected songs????.
It could be the instrumental film music is registered here but I doubt. Instrumental film music (bridges between scenes etc) for Elvis’ movies are registered in another way.

Another rejected song (?)
The bright new world of tomorrow
An acetate with this song from It happened at the world's fair was sold during an auction by EPE in 1999 (nr B 116)
I have no information about this song and probably it is a demo.

From the catalogue:
B116: Four "It Happened At The World's Fair" acetates contain "Broken Heart For Sale," "Remind Me Of You," "Take Me To The Fair," "The Bright New World Of Tomorrow," "Beyond The Bend," "I'm Falling In Love Tonight," "A World Of Our Own," "Cotton Candy Land," etc.

1. The bright new world of tomorrow - It was a rejected demo - See above for Don Robertson

Another rejected song is known
The life I love
The song was selected on 24 august 1962 (track 2481-1) for the movie Take me to the fair but finally not recorded at all. I’ve no infomormation about a songwriter.

colonel snow

1. The life I love - Hugo and Luigi and George Weiss

Additional song submitted -

1. Single-O - Rick Plane

Kevan Budd

Kevan Budd.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks again Kevan for this extra added information; my “puzzle” for this movie is solved now.
I knew Don Robertson sent in a lot of songs; even he was in the studio during the recording sessions and played piano.

colonel snow

John

Postby John » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:00 am

Kevan and colonel snow, everyone else has written books, I think there's a book in all the knowledge you two have between you. We're getting all of this piecemeal from the two of you, but it would be great to have it all in one document or book(let). It doesn't have to be huge with zillions of photographs, but just something documenting all of these alternate/rejected songs offered up by the songwriters for the various sessions.

As we know, some of them were recorded by the songwriters themselves as demos, or other by other artists, to which we could have links, or even a CD or two, if you can get the rights. I find this whole topic really interesting, but I'd like it all as one tidy package.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:02 pm

John wrote:Kevan and colonel snow, everyone else has written books, I think there's a book in all the knowledge you two have between you. We're getting all of this piecemeal from the two of you, but it would be great to have it all in one document or book(let). It doesn't have to be huge with zillions of photographs, but just something documenting all of these alternate/rejected songs offered up by the songwriters for the various sessions.

As we know, some of them were recorded by the songwriters themselves as demos, or other by other artists, to which we could have links, or even a CD or two, if you can get the rights. I find this whole topic really interesting, but I'd like it all as one tidy package.

It’s a pity to say but a handful fans only is interested in the history of Elvis’ music – production and selection of music for a movie and/or recording session. In my opinion there’s no market for such a book. Fans prefer photo books etc.

colonel snow

John

Postby John » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:40 pm

colonel snow wrote:
John wrote:Kevan and colonel snow, everyone else has written books, I think there's a book in all the knowledge you two have between you. We're getting all of this piecemeal from the two of you, but it would be great to have it all in one document or book(let). It doesn't have to be huge with zillions of photographs, but just something documenting all of these alternate/rejected songs offered up by the songwriters for the various sessions.

It’s a pity to say but a handful fans only is interested in the history of Elvis’ music – production and selection of music for a movie and/or recording session. In my opinion there’s no market for such a book. Fans prefer photo books etc.

colonel snow

It doesn't even have to be a book, just a page for each session that could be updated and sent to those that are interested.

Bob

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:18 pm

John wrote:It doesn't even have to be a book, just a page for each session that could be updated and sent to those that are interested.

With 'page' you mean a page on the web, so a website or blog?

Yes. That would be ideal, I think. Especially if a physical book is not something colonel snow believes in.

Over the years, I have seen thousands of posts by colonel snow on the specialized subjects he loves so much, spread over what, 7 or 8 (?) Internet forums? I hate to say it, but (eventually) all the knowledge and images shared will sink into the dark emptiness of the web. That is a terrible waste of time and talent, even more so since Kevan has been adding his knowledge to colonel snow's posts here on Phoenix. A book, and also a website, will remain forever.

Why not do something similar to what Keith has been doing for years? I believe that a website that is structured similar to Keith's will be a good choice. And have a good working search function, so that people can search by date or title or writer, etc.

With regard to a book like this only being of interest to a happy few (colonel snow's words), I can tell you that it's much more rewarding to invest your time in the happy few than to produce the millionth photo book that will only be bought by people who buy everything anyway, only for these photo books to end up on a shelf collecting dust. Seriously, the happy few is a way more thankful bunch! And even more important, colonel snow's work will live on forever.

Return to “Everything Elvis”