Larry Geller talks August 2019

All the Elvis you can take

picturefan

Re: A Talk about Elvis Presley - Larry Geller

Postby picturefan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:52 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:He seems like one of the good guys.
A little over animated, and easily side tracked, but seems likable.
But a terrible stylist.
If you look at Elvis' hair when he was with Larry, then after Larry left,
and then back when Larry came back you will see what I mean.
for example if Larry was with him during the 68 special, his hair would have looked like what it looked like in Spinout.
He took away the Elvis look, and replaced it with this poofy foofy style.

Larry is a good guy, he is generous to strangers, too. Do you think that the haircuts could have been following or creating, fashion, and that is why?

In my view, Patti Parry, styled Elvis' hair the best.

Elvis had the classic Elvis look in the 50's.
Army cut last part of 50s' .
then if you look at his cut in the early movies, it was still good
up to around 1964, then it changed.
Look at his cut from Paradise haw. style, Spinout, easy come easy go, Frankie and Johnny, and others in the 1965-1967 time period.
It was no longer the classic Elvis style, poofy. laquered. It didn't look right.
but then the 68 special comes along, and movies like Live a little love a little, he
had the cut that was the best for him.

Not sure the year larry got fired then rehired, but you can sort of tell by the haircuts Elvis was getting.
Look at those mid 1975 concerts, and it was back to that poofy look again, which he used for the 77 special too.
I know Larry was there for that.
MY opinion, whoever who was doing Elvis' hair before and after Larry, did a better job.
And Elvis didn't need to follow trends or anything like that, he created the trends.
but in the end, Elvis could have good records with a bad haircut. Or the other way around.
Just stating an observation. Not a fan of the poofy look.

Larry wasn't in the picture back until 1976.
So the hairstyle in 1975 was done by somebody else.

Mountain Mist

Re: Larry Geller talks August 2019

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:20 am

John wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:
Elvis, in 1968, still had the Brylcream (or whatever) on the sides of his hair, and then a lighter mousse (I don't know what men placed in their hair, John?) of some kind, for his fringe, so his fringe would fall down.

No idea. My gran used to plaster my hair with Brylcreem when I was little,, but I never had any stuff in my hair after the age of about 7 or 8.

Thanks, John.

There are photos of all my uncles together, in the 1960's, with their white shirts, slim black ties, and their slicked back hair. They all looked great, it was a good time for men's fashion. Not so much for whomever had to wash what the Brylcreem touched.

picturefan

Postby picturefan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:31 am

Talk about "poofie" hairstyle.
This was days after Larry resigned.
That look could easily be a shot from "Spinout".
By the way.....where is the colour or at least black and white (complete ) footage from the press conference right after the marriage?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Re: A Talk about Elvis Presley - Larry Geller

Postby TonyS » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:45 am

Mountain Mist wrote:Larry is a good guy, he is generous to strangers.

Yes, he is, and his wife is lovely too.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Nobody, but himself, was doing Elvis' hair in 1955 and 1956, and he was wearing the coolest hairstyle ever to land on planet Earth.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:02 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Nobody, but himself, was doing Elvis' hair in 1955 and 1956, and he was wearing the coolest hairstyle ever to land on planet Earth.

Even his self styled perm in 55 was cooler than anything Larry was ever capable of...

a3f016ab52293e40ee48848e742353ab.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:21 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Nobody, but himself, was doing Elvis' hair in 1955 and 1956, and he was wearing the coolest hairstyle ever to land on planet Earth.

Even his self styled perm in 55 was cooler than anything Larry was ever capable of...

I'm not too fond of that perm look, but my point was that he knew exactly how to comb his hair. He shouln't have allowed anybody touch it. Look at the fabulous (blond) haircut he was wearing when he returmed from Germany. It only lasted a couple of weeks, though. Oh well.

picturefan

Postby picturefan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:03 pm

The " perm" doesn't look cool at all.
A little wavy like in Jailhouse Rock, ok.....but that extreme perm look on that 1955 pic with grease was a very bad Tony curtis imitation.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:06 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

I'm not too fond of that perm look, but my point was that he knew exactly how to comb his hair. He shouln't have allowed anybody touch it. Look at the fabulous (blond) haircut he was wearing when he returmed from Germany. It only lasted a couple of weeks, though. Oh well.

Yes, I knew what your point was and I agree with you. I don't mind the perm (it's 1955 even if his toes were coming through his shoes it would still be awesome, know what i mean) it was better than the "Hollywood haircut" which was plenty of hairspray and the all round family man that Hollywood wanted him to be.

"the image they had of me was wrong, I knew it"- Elvis Presley June 1972.
Last edited by Mojo Filter on Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:13 pm

picturefan wrote:The " perm" doesn't look cool at all.
A little wavy like in Jailhouse Rock, ok.....but that extreme perm look on that 1955 pic with grease was a very bad Tony curtis imitation.

Maybe you won't like the "Pied Piper Of Cleveland" film if ever found as he sports the perm in it. ;)

picturefan

Postby picturefan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:17 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:

Maybe you won't like the "Pied Piper Of Cleveland" film if ever found as he sports the perm in it. ;)

That is BS, and you should know that.
I rather would have One Minute of that 1955 film clip than 2 hours of unreleased on tour footage, even if I might be in a minority on that.

picturefan

Postby picturefan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:20 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

Yes, I knew what your point was and I agree with you. I don't mind the perm (it's 1955 even if his toes were coming through his shoes it would still be awesome, know what i mean) it was better than the "Hollywood haircut" which was plenty of hairspray and the all round family man that Hollywood wanted him to be.

Well, I, for instance, liked the Hollywood haircut in loving you or king creole.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:22 pm

picturefan wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

That is BS, and you should know that.
I rather would have One Minute of that 1955 film clip than 2 hours of unreleased on tour footage, even if I might be in a minority on that.

Hey, just kidding, hence the winky face....

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:25 pm

picturefan wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

Well, I, for instance, liked the Hollywood haircut in loving you or king creole.

I think Elvis was still combing his own hair in those two movies. It wasn't til the 60s it became the "Hollywood haircut".

John

Postby John » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:39 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:
picturefan wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

I think Elvis was still combing his own hair in those two movies. It wasn't til the 60s it became the "Hollywood haircut".

I would doubt that he was combing his own hair. The hairstyle supervisor on Loving You and King Creole was Nellie Hanley and the hairstylist was Hedy Mjorud on King Creole.

For the sake of continuity I don't think film stars comb their own hair.

Return to “Everything Elvis”