Two Rebels That Sparkled.

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
Mojo Filter

Two Rebels That Sparkled.

Postby Mojo Filter » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:10 pm

I don't know if this as been spoke about before on here or if anyone has noticed it - i've not seen it anywhere on forums. So apologies if it has.

KRcfiim8WW59LMMuypFC5iuR8B-2.jpg

We know Elvis loved James Dean and the movie Rebel Without A Cause he apparently viewed it several times at the Memphis cinema at the time of its release.

I recently watched it myself, about 3 months ago, I'd not seen it in about 5 years, so i pulled my DVD out and watched this classic movie.

Something had struck me. James Dean's sparkly jacket seen here is very reminiscent of Elvis' sparkly Dorsey jacket:

rwc2-crop.jpg

539e4f593254471b95dfcd4f25ca6093.jpg

I reckon James Dean's jacket is what inspired Elvis to buy a sparkly one himself.

What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Colin B

Re: Two Rebels That Sparkled.

Postby Colin B » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:...I reckon James Dean's jacket is what inspired Elvis to buy a sparkly one himself.

What do you think?

You could be right !

I reckon Elvis kinda saw himself as having a James Dean-type persona !

Unfortunately, his management didn't...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:54 am

Colin B wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:...I reckon James Dean's jacket is what inspired Elvis to buy a sparkly one himself.

What do you think?

You could be right !

I reckon Elvis kinda saw himself as having a James Dean-type persona !

Unfortunately, his management didn't...

In all the years of watching the Dean film it only just occurred to me about the jacket in recent months.

Elvis certainly loved Dean and called him a "genius" on the Hy Gardener Show and admitted he would like to follow the kind of roles that Dean was doing if he was a good actor.

But management never understood the rebellious nature (or even cared) of teenagers of the time in films like "Rebel", and of course rock'n'roll music being in the same category.

And of course RCA was primarily a "Country Music" label where the music was clean and nice and didn't cause "bad publicity" like rock'n'roll. Unfortunately, they tried to carry on with this "clean" scenario right through the 60s when clearly things started to change in the perception of film making and music.

Also, it's all been said before, Elvis never took any interest in his own career, instead letting others run it for him.

"i don't think anyone set out to harm me, the image they had of me was wrong, I knew it. It's nobody's fault except for maybe my own" - Elvis Presley June 1972 in an interview for EOT about his movies.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Nice thread Mojo. I think you maybe right about the jackets, They are very similar. I was watching King Creole... The Baracuta jacket elvis wore, was the Harrington jacket we wore here In England. I had a black one I Loved it. The one James Dean wore In, RWAC. I think a few other actors wore them, Ryan Oneal being another.
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

Topic author
Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:43 pm

elvislady wrote:Nice thread Mojo. I think you maybe right about the jackets, They are very similar. I was watching King Creole... The Baracuta jacket elvis wore, was the Harrington jacket we wore here In England. I had a black one I Loved it. The one James Dean wore In, RWAC. I think a few other actors wore them, Ryan Oneal being another.

Thanks. The sparkly jacket is something that recently occurred to me.....surprised i didn't notice it years earlier.

The Harrington jackets were quite popular again in the late 70s and early 80s with the skinheads - with Jeans, braces and doc martin boots.

I had both red and black. You can still get them today.

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:35 am

Mojo Filter wrote:
elvislady wrote:Nice thread Mojo. I think you maybe right about the jackets, They are very similar. I was watching King Creole... The Baracuta jacket elvis wore, was the Harrington jacket we wore here In England. I had a black one I Loved it. The one James Dean wore In, RWAC. I think a few other actors wore them, Ryan Oneal being another.

The Harrington jackets were quite popular again in the late 70s and early 80s with the skinheads - with Jeans, braces and doc martin boots.

I loved the the red. I had the black one. I think they will make another appearance at some point down the line.

http://www.elvisechoesofthepast.com/elv ... ta-jacket/
Welcome to my world

Thank you ( Jeanette )

Topic author
Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:50 am

elvislady wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

I loved the the red. I had the black one. I think they will make another appearance at some point down the line.

Thanks for the link. That is a cool article.

So Harrington is a nickname for the jacket after Ryan O'Neil's character Rodney Harrington in Peyton Place, that's something I didn't know. So the correct name for the jacket is baracuta.

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:57 am

Mojo Filter wrote:
elvislady wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

Thanks for the link. That is a cool article.

So Harrington is a nickname for the jacket after Ryan O'Neil's character Rodney Harrington in Peyton Place, that's something I didn't know. So the correct name for the jacket is baracuta.

Yes mojo. I found this article a few years ago. When I was looking for diffrent colours of the Harrington. Thought I would share.
Welcome to my world

Thank you ( Jeanette )

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:00 am

James Dean - Jacket.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:14 pm

"i've got the bullets"

Return to “Everything Elvis”