Long awaited Elvis On Tour box set is coming!!!

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
Scooby

Long awaited Elvis On Tour box set is coming!!!

Postby Scooby » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:05 am

Seeing that Sony is emptying out the Elvis vaults due to the 50 year public domain issue, we can now expect everything recorded in 1972 for the On Tour film to be commercially released by 2022! The Live 1969 and American Sound box sets are pretty evident of this happening.

And I don't see Time-Warner sitting on the unreleased footage too much longer. Especially since much is on YouTube already in rough quality. Don't be surprised if we get something new next year for the 50th anniversary of TTWII.

cadillac-elvis

Re: Long awaited Elvis On Tour box set is coming!!!

Postby cadillac-elvis » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:29 am

Scooby wrote:Seeing that Sony is emptying out the Elvis vaults due to the 50 year public domain issue, we can now expect everything recorded in 1972 for the On Tour film to be commercially released by 2022! The Live 1969 and American Sound box sets are pretty evident of this happening.

And I don't see Time-Warner sitting on the unreleased footage too much longer. Especially since much is on YouTube already in rough quality. Don't be surprised if we get something new next year for the 50th anniversary of TTWII.

I hope you are right. But at this time, by waiting so long, I am less interested in the audio,
and more the video.
It's amazing that the original On tour movie only clocked in at 93 minutes.
With the amount of quality video they shot, it could have easily been a 3 hour movie.
ETTWII had a longer running time but still so many great things were left on the cutting room floor.
Just to keep Elvis' name out there, I wished they had done
a stand alone concert show of the August 12, 1970 midnight show where
Elvis does his mini sit down performance on Electric guitar. So great.
But still think we are approx. 70 years gone and still no DVD set of the Dorsey's, The berle shows, etc.
Another great box set could be the entire Early TV appearances on in one set, including the Sinatra show.

Topic author
Scooby

Postby Scooby » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:37 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Scooby wrote:Seeing that Sony is emptying out the Elvis vaults due to the 50 year public domain issue, we can now expect everything recorded in 1972 for the On Tour film to be commercially released by 2022! The Live 1969 and American Sound box sets are pretty evident of this happening.

I hope you are right. But at this time, by waiting so long, I am less interested in the audio,
and more the video.
With the amount of quality video they shot, it could have easily been a 3 hour movie.
ETTWII had a longer running time but still so many great things were left on the cutting room floor.
But still think we are approx. 70 years gone and still no DVD set of the Dorsey's, The berle shows, etc.
Another great box set could be the entire Early TV appearances on in one set, including the Sinatra show.

I think the reason for no DVD of the early tv appearances is more to do with there being no market for b&w footage as much as there is for color. Jerry Schilling once alluded to this topic.

I can see TW releasing that August show, but unfortunately parts of it wasn't filmed, from my understanding.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:58 am

Scooby wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

and more the video.

I think the reason for no DVD of the early tv appearances is more to do with there being no market for b&w footage as much as there is for color. Jerry Schilling once alluded to this topic.

I can see TW releasing that August show, but unfortunately parts of it wasn't filmed, from my understanding.

That's too bad about the black and white thing, but the Sullivan shows got put out.
They could pepper it with color home movies of Texas, Memphis july 4th, 1956, and other stuff like that.

I have the august 70 show on boot video, and I think most of it was filmed, at least enough for a full release.
They could include some rehearsals from July and the near full show. It would be great, and no one would hardly
notice any missing footage other than the super fans. He was on fire that night.

foreverelvis

Postby foreverelvis » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Scooby wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

and more the video.

The b&w/color thing is a myth.
The 50’s footage is owned by at least three or four companies. It can’t be all released on the same release unless all the companies agree to split costs and revenue- not likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foreverelvis

Postby foreverelvis » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:15 pm

50 year thing is only in Europe not North America.

Topic author
Scooby

Postby Scooby » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:03 pm

foreverelvis wrote:

There would have been no reason to release all of thee 69 concerts then in AMerica where there's already a small market.

HD_RES

Postby HD_RES » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:32 am

foreverelvis wrote:

Yes,but I have heard that the 50 year copyright thing isnt valid anymore.
That "loophole" was closed many years ago so thats why things like 68 comeback,american sound and how great thou art recordings isnt been released as part of the public domain releases.

I find it very unlikely that topic starter is correct,in fact as time goes by its more and more unlikely that we will get a special OT edition or a release with full or near full april1972 concert....or 1970 for that matter.
The outtakes have been online on YT and among fans for almost 15 years and nothing has happened.
Only hope is small clips like we saw in The Searcher documentary last year.
I wish I would be proven wrong though :?

And I was told that the LIVE 69 box wasnt even released in the US.... correction....they imported the german version and released that one.
Sony US didnt even bother to print US copies.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:07 pm

The title of this thread makes it sound like there is a release coming of EOT set...but it's just your assumption.

None of what you've said here would indicate that such a release is expected.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

When in Rome

Postby When in Rome » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:03 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:

The title of this thread makes it sound like there is a release coming of EOT set...but it's just your assumption.

Agreed!
Thread title should be 'Could long awaited Elvis On Tour box set finally be a reality?'
Thought it was for real myself and instead all I get is conjecture and opinions. We want facts, by Jiminy! Not click-bait faff-abouts! :mrgreen:
It's far from being all over...

DarylR

Postby DarylR » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:48 am

HD_RES wrote:
foreverelvis wrote:

That "loophole" was closed many years ago so thats why things like 68 comeback,american sound and how great thou art recordings isnt been released as part of the public domain releases.

I find it very unlikely that topic starter is correct,in fact as time goes by its more and more unlikely that we will get a special OT edition or a release with full or near full april1972 concert....or 1970 for that matter.
The outtakes have been online on YT and among fans for almost 15 years and nothing has happened.

And I was told that the LIVE 69 box wasnt even released in the US.... correction....they imported the german version and released that one.

Same thing happened with the 5 CD deluxe soundtrack from Sony Legacy of Ken Burns' upcoming documentary on "Country Music." I got a copy of it and it is pressed in Germany. Could simply be an issue where Sony can get them manufactured cheaper in Germany than in U.S. or elsewhere.

Ciscoking

Postby Ciscoking » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:14 pm

German products are quality and not cheap..
Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

MaestroDavros

Postby MaestroDavros » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:10 pm

HD_RES wrote:
foreverelvis wrote:

They don’t have a choice though. That’s because as of last year there aren’t any plants left in the US that still press CDs. The only real choices now are Mexico, Germany or Japan.

picturefan

Postby picturefan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:24 pm

When in Rome wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

Agreed!
Thread title should be 'Could long awaited Elvis On Tour box set finally be a reality?'
Thought it was for real myself and instead all I get is conjecture and opinions. We want facts, by Jiminy! Not click-bait faff-abouts! :mrgreen:

Honestly?
Just from watching on several boards over the years from the outside the "when will EOT be released ?" threads amount to several hundreds surely.
To open another one with an (on purpose?) misleading title and insubstantial guessing is really a waste of time.
How about some "when will they release EIC?" thread?
That would be a welcome change.
Sorry, my two cents.

Return to “Everything Elvis”