Jerry Reed

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
Colin B

Jerry Reed

Postby Colin B » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:30 pm

Jerry Reed Died 11 years ago today [1st September].

The US songwriter & guitarist died in Nashville, Tennessee, on September 1, 2008, aged 71, of complications from emphysema.

Jerry Reed with Guitar.jpg

Felton Jarvis hired Jerry to play on the 'Guitar Man' session when he played on that song & Big Boss Man [both Reed compositions] on 10th September, 1967.

On January 15th & 16th, 1968, he played on a second Elvis session, the songs being Stay Away, Goin' Home & US Male & Chuck Berry's Too Much Monkey Business

Elvis also recorded two other Reed compositions: A Thing Called Love in May 1971 for his He Touched Me album, and Talk About The Good Times in December 1973, making a total of four.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Re: Jerry Reed

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:38 pm

Colin B wrote:Felton Jarvis hired Jerry to play on the 'Guitar Man' session when he played on that song & Big Boss Man [both Reed compositions] on 10th September, 1967.

On January 15th & 16th, 1968, he played on a second Elvis session, the songs being Stay Away, Goin' Home & US Male & Chuck Berry's Too Much Monkey Business

Elvis also recorded two other Reed compositions: A Thing Called Love in May 1971 for his He Touched Me album, and Talk About The Good Times in December 1973, making a total of four.

I'm sure you are aware of that, Colin, but "Big Boss Man" has no relation to Jerry Reed, although the original version was by Jimmy Reed.

The other Jerry Reed composition to have been recorded by Elvis would be "U. S. Male".

John

Postby John » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:57 am

Mister Moon wrote:
Colin B wrote:Felton Jarvis hired Jerry to play on the 'Guitar Man' session when he played on that song & Big Boss Man [both Reed compositions] on 10th September, 1967.

I'm sure you are aware of that, Colin, but "Big Boss Man" has no relation to Jerry Reed, although the original version was by Jimmy Reed.

The other Jerry Reed composition to have been recorded by Elvis would be "U. S. Male".

Poor Colin. However, he's right to say both are Reed compositions, it's just that they are different Reeds.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:11 am

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Poor Colin. However, he's right to say both are Reed compositions, it's just that they are different Reeds.

Well, although "Big Boss Man" may have been in fact a (Jimmy) Reed composition, technically it was not :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Boss_Man_(song)

Anyway, it's a big coincidence that it was cut by Elvis at the session where Jerry Reed played guitar for him.

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:20 am

Mister Moon wrote:I'm sure you are aware of that, Colin, but "Big Boss Man" has no relation to Jerry Reed, although the original version was by Jimmy Reed.

Obviously I wasn't aware, but neither was my source !

As John has pointed out, my statement that it was a 'Reed' composition still stands, so it's kinda like a case of 'saved by the bell' ! !

I did mention US Male ...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:28 pm

Colin B wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:I'm sure you are aware of that, Colin, but "Big Boss Man" has no relation to Jerry Reed, although the original version was by Jimmy Reed.

Obviously I wasn't aware, but neither was my source !

As John has pointed out, my statement that it was a 'Reed' composition still stands, so it's kinda like a case of 'saved by the bell' ! !

Yeah, but the implication was that "Guitar Man" and "Big Boss Man" were written by Jerry Reed, and "U. S. Male" was mentioned because it was cut at one of the sessions, but not as a Reed composition.

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:56 pm

Colin B wrote:Obviously I wasn't aware, but neither was my source !
Mister Moon wrote:Yeah, but the implication was that "Guitar Man" and "Big Boss Man" were written by Jerry Reed, and "U. S. Male" was mentioned because it was cut at one of the sessions, but not as a Reed composition.

OK - I fucked up - I already admitted that !

I'm sitting on the naughty step as I type...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:18 pm

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:Obviously I wasn't aware, but neither was my source !
Mister Moon wrote:Yeah, but the implication was that "Guitar Man" and "Big Boss Man" were written by Jerry Reed, and "U. S. Male" was mentioned because it was cut at one of the sessions, but not as a Reed composition.

OK - I fucked up - I already admitted that !

I'm sitting on the naughty step as I type...

Ha, ha, ha.

I forgive you, Colin. Thanks for your patience with us nitpickers.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:39 pm

An added bit of information - while Jimmy Reed's original 1960 release of "Big Boss Man" credited Luther Dixon and Al Smith, Elvis' single from 1967 credited (Jimmy) Reed.

Probably that's where the confusion started, with the added fact that Jerry Reed was a participant on the recording of the Elvis version.

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:37 am

'I Feel For You' - Released as the flip of 'Woman Shy' 45 in 1966 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mviq_cfEu0

John

Postby John » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:52 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:'I Feel For You' - Released as the flip of 'Woman Shy' 45 in 1966 :

I like that one. Not heard it before.

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:15 pm

John wrote:
WalterHaleJnr wrote:'I Feel For You' - Released as the flip of 'Woman Shy' 45 in 1966 :

Nor have I.

This is the 'A' side - 'Woman Shy':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqUXQu4yPM

John

Postby John » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:26 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:
John wrote:

Nor have I.

Haha, haven't heard that either. I like it.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:31 pm

Reed's earliest recordings, done for Capitol between 1955 and 1958 are superb. There's a whole Bear Family CD of those, including several originally unissued sides.

This is his first ever release, an original song whose title references a Hank Williams catchphrase. This song was also recorded by Johnny Cash & The Tennesse Two at Sun :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmHGXnZLAf4

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:01 pm

John wrote:
WalterHaleJnr wrote:
John wrote:

Nor have I.

Haha, haven't heard that either. I like it.

The "B" side is the superior song, I reckon.

Return to “Off Topic”