Oh how I love Jesus

Topic author
colonel snow

Oh how I love Jesus

Postby colonel snow » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:44 pm

double posted

see viewtopic.php?f=360&t=5807

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suspicious Minds

Re: Oh how I love Jesus

Postby Suspicious Minds » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:14 am

A bit more about the origin of the song:

The text to the verse of ‘O How I Love Jesus’, is believed to come from Philippians 2:5-11. “that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.” {v.10-11}

[...]

The text originally included eight stanzas. Several interesting verses not found in present hymnals include these words:

It tells me of a Father’s smile that beams upon His child.
It cheers me through this little while, through deserts waste and wild.
It bids my trembling soul rejoice, and dries each rising tear.
It tells me in a still small voice, to trust and not to fear

The chorus is an American melody of unknown origin, but most likely is believe to come from the camp meeting era. Originally, it was known as a traveling refrain. This refrain was attached and sung with a mother hymn, such as ‘Amazing Grace’ and ‘Alas! And Did My Savior Die’.

At some point the refrain of ‘O How I Love Jesus’ was wedded with the verse that begins, “There is a voice I love to hear.”

The first printing of the hymn is recorded to be in tract form dating back to 1855. [See also note below] Hymnologist William J. Reynolds traces an early appearance of the text to the 1864 edition of Goodman’s Village Hymn Book.

http://dianaleaghmatthews.com/o-how-i-l ... PzKQtOAzYU

John Julian’s famous Dictionary of Hymnology (1907) notes that this hymn was originally titled ‘The name of Jesus’ in its first printing (1855) in the form of hymn-sheets and leaflets.

It was later included in Sacred Poems and Prose (1861), a collection by its author, Frederick Whitfield (1829-1904). Baptist hymnologist William J. Reynolds traces the earliest appearance of this text in Goodman’s Village Hymn Book (1864).

https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/resourc ... love-jesus
Don't take yourself too seriously ;-)

Suspicious Minds

Re: Oh how I love Jesus

Postby Suspicious Minds » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:18 am

colonel snow wrote:According to several sources the original version was recorded in 1900 by Frederick Whitfield.
I have never located a recording; I doubt he recorded the song because I have not found any other recording by him.

I agree; Frederick Whitfield was the author of the song (hymn), but as far as I know he didn’t record the song (or any song at all).
Don't take yourself too seriously ;-)

Return to “First In Line M-S”