The "talk about whatever you want" thread

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Yin Yang

Re: The "talk about whatever you want" thread

Postby Yin Yang » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:15 am

Freedom of speech
Something you have as long as your opinion is the same as the opinion of the rulers.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:44 pm

Yin Yang wrote:Freedom of speech
Something you have as long as your opinion is the same as the opinion of the rulers.

That's true in retarded countries like China, Russia, North Korea, Turkey, Iran or Afganistan, where there are thousands and thousands of innocent people in jail, political prisoners, just because of their opinions, when they are not officially killed or vanished.

Here in the Western front, we can still speak loud and clear everywhere. Dissidence is not always welcome, but you don't generally go to jail, let alone get killed, for that.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:05 am

Mister Moon wrote:

That's true in retarded countries like China, Russia, North Korea, Turkey, Iran or Afganistan, where there are thousands and thousands of innocent people in jail, political prisoners, just because of their opinions, when they are not officially killed or vanished.

Here in the Western front, we can still speak loud and clear everywhere. Dissidence is not always welcome, but you don't generally go to jail, let alone get killed, for that.

In The Netherlands people got arrested because they asked people to go to a demonstration that the government had forbidden, even though in our laws there is the right to demonstrate and the law says you cannot get arrested if you plan to do something illigal in the future.
During the pandemic demonstrations were forbidden and people, including old ladies, got beaten up by police.
But the mayor of Amsterdam attended a demonstration about BLack Lives Matter and did not wear the obligatory mouth mask or keep 1,5 meters distance from other people.
So again I say freedom of speech is something you have when your opinion is the same of that of the rulers.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:13 am

Yin Yang wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

In The Netherlands people got arrested because they asked people to go to a demonstration that the government had forbidden, even though in our laws there is the right to demonstrate and the law says you cannot get arrested if you plan to do something illigal in the future.
During the pandemic demonstrations were forbidden and people, including old ladies, got beaten up by police.
But the mayor of Amsterdam attended a demonstration about BLack Lives Matter and did not wear the obligatory mouth mask or keep 1,5 meters distance from other people.
So again I say freedom of speech is something you have when your opinion is the same of that of the rulers.

As I implied, there's always exceptions.

Restrictions during the pandemic were quite obvious, and were only rejected / not followed by jerks, including low-class politicians like Johnson in the UK and, from what I can see, the mayor of Amsterdam.

I'm sure I wouldn't change what we have here for what they have in the countries I mentioned earlier.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:00 pm

https://people.com/crime/man-freed-afte ... innocence/

You can get jailed in a western country while being innocent. Or killed by police. George Floyd is not the only one killed by police.

I never followed the nonsence restrictions (which now have been confirmed as being nonsence!) ordered by the government unless I really was forced to it. But glad to know I am now called a jerk.
People who fought for women's rights in those days were called jerks.
People who fought for the end of slavery in those days were called jerks.
There were even people called jerks who fought for your right to vote!

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:42 pm

Yin Yang wrote:https://people.com/crime/man-freed-after-serving-38-years-for-a-murder-and-rape-he-didnt-commit-dna-proved-his-innocence/

You can get jailed in a western country while being innocent. Or killed by police. George Floyd is not the only one killed by police.

I never followed the nonsence restrictions (which now have been confirmed as being nonsence!) ordered by the government unless I really was forced to it. But glad to know I am now called a jerk.

What a bunch of crap.

We spent two miserable years fighting for our right to live. Mine, my wife's, my son's, yours, everybody's. I worked during those two entire years wearing a damn mask eight endless hours, every day, cleaning everything in sight, not being able to shake hands or to kiss loved people. We have also gladly accepted to take vaccines that were barely proven to be good, just for the sake of health.

And, you know what ? Everything was worth it, because this damn Covid crap is over in most civilised countries, where people have followed logical rules dictated by science and common sense, not by "the government".

Who says those were "nonsence restrictions" ? Some freaky website ?

C'mon.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:49 am

Mister Moon wrote:
Yin Yang wrote:https://people.com/crime/man-freed-after-serving-38-years-for-a-murder-and-rape-he-didnt-commit-dna-proved-his-innocence/

What a bunch of crap.

We spent two miserable years fighting for our right to live. Mine, my wife's, my son's, yours, everybody's. I worked during those two entire years wearing a damn mask eight endless hours, every day, cleaning everything in sight, not being able to shake hands or to kiss loved people. We have also gladly accepted to take vaccines that were barely proven to be good, just for the sake of health.

And, you know what ? Everything was worth it, because this damn Covid crap is over in most civilised countries, where people have followed logical rules dictated by science and common sense, not by "the government".

Who says those were "nonsence restrictions" ? Some freaky website ?

C'mon.

Indeed a freaky website: our Government's official site.
A state appointed commission investigated the effects of all measures taken.
The responsible government people said that they took the measures based on information they got and that there was no earlier experience with a pandemic like this.
Also the Government declared the pandemic was now officially ended and all measures dropped.
People meantime have their natural resistance against this type of virus according to the Government.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:18 pm

This is an article in The Telegraph, a well-respected newspaper. It can be read in various languages.

https://www.frontnieuws.com/eerste-domi ... lqulidsyJw

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:26 pm

Yin Yang wrote:This is an article in The Telegraph, a well-respected newspaper. It can be read in various languages.

This Tory government took us all for fools.

Roll on the next general election...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:26 pm

Colin B wrote:
Yin Yang wrote:This is an article in The Telegraph, a well-respected newspaper. It can be read in various languages.

Roll on the next general election...

There is an election in The Netherlands for the Provinces.
The elected members for the Provinces (counties) elect the members for the First Chamber.
Members of the First Chamber control laws offered by the Second Chamber. So political parties need a majority in both chambers to pass a new law.
Now everybody and his mother say they want to get rid of the Prime Minister and his croonies, i.e. The Government, so if the opposition conquers a majority in the First Chamber, they can stop any new legislation.
We have a shortage of houses, medical staff and teachers plus people in financial trouble due to incorrect tax actions. Children got yanked away from their parents because these parents were considered bad parents because they had problems paying back taxes that were incorrectly claimed bck!
They should be compesated because of the faulty actions of the tax people and their children returned home, but that is not happening yet as Te Government claims each case has to be investigated on it's own, no general pardon.
The lack of medical staff is because some years ago hospitals were closed and staff fired.
Old people's homes were closed and medical staff fired.
Nursing homes were closed and medical staff fired.
There is no money to pay for all this. But hey, billions of Euro to support the war in Ukraine, billions of Euro to the EU, billions of Euro to corrupt third world dictators and so on.
I hope there will be a shift in power but I am afraid all will be same old same old.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:07 pm

Colin B wrote:

And yet, I still think they were the better option. Starmer is a complete no-no. Does he even know which way round to sit on a toilet, which incidentally is more charismatic and knowledgeable than he is.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:04 pm

This jerk found this article on the site of Reuters, one of the most respected news websites.

"Today justice has been granted to three people who took on the NSW government regarding the validity of their COVID fines and won!” said Samantha Lee, acting solicitor for the plaintiffs in a statement.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 022-11-29/

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:02 pm

There's no point in keep on posting stuff like that. I haven't denied that there can be injustices around us. Just re-read my above posts.

But we live SO MUCH better than people in Russia, China, Turkey, Afghanistan, North Korea, or Iran, to name just a few.

I think we all can agree on that, right ?

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:27 pm

Mister Moon wrote:There's no point in keep on posting stuff like that. I haven't denied that there can be injustices around us. Just re-read my above posts.

But we live SO MUCH better than people in Russia, China, Turkey, Afghanistan, North Korea, or Iran, to name just a few.

You claimed I got the information from freaky websites and I was a jerk.
I just posted links to articles in well respected newspapers to prove I am no jerk and the information comes from respected sites. That's all.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:16 am

Yin Yang wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:There's no point in keep on posting stuff like that. I haven't denied that there can be injustices around us. Just re-read my above posts.

You claimed I got the information from freaky websites and I was a jerk.
I just posted links to articles in well respected newspapers to prove I am no jerk and the information comes from respected sites. That's all.

No, I didn't call YOU a jerk. I said, before knowing what your opinion was,

Restrictions during the pandemic were quite obvious, and were only rejected / not followed by jerks.

I'm sorry if you are among those people, but I still think the same.

You don't have to post any more links I'm not clicking on them anyway. My opinions regarding this matter are not gonna change, and I feel we have suffered enough with the Covid crap to keep stirring the pot. Let's move on, please.

Return to “Off Topic”