The "talk about whatever you want" thread

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
John

Re: The "talk about whatever you want" thread

Postby John » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:16 am

Colin B wrote:In the song "I'll Be Home For Christmas", is the line "You can count on me" or "You can plan on me" ?

A lot of people think it's "count" !

And others think it's "plan" !

The answer is here:

https://www.snopes.com/news/2023/11/05/ ... as-lyrics/

I'm not going through that as there are loads of cookies attached.

I've always heard "plan", and I've got it by several artists. The only one who sings "count" is Nora Jones.

Trawling through youtube, Dino, Frank and Buble all sing "plan". I see that Karen Carpenter and Kelly Clarkson sing "count". There are many other versions on there by others, but I can't be bothered to go through them.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:57 pm

King Charles - Speech.JPG

"Mummy used to wear all this royal regalia with such dignity !

So why do I look such a complete twit dressed up in it ?!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
John

Postby John » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:14 pm

Colin B wrote:King Charles - Speech.JPG

"Mummy used to wear all this royal regalia with such dignity !

So why do I look such a complete twit dressed up in it ?!"

Does he look any less of a twit in any other clothing?

I was in Kenya in May, on the beach in Mombasa, and at the elephant orphanage in Nairobi. Seriously Charlie, put on some shorts and a T-shirt.

Charlie.jpg
Charlie elephant.jpg

When someone suggested that he should change out of his suit, he tried to run.

Charlie runner.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:43 pm

Is AI & CGI becoming used too often in the press ?

The 'i' Today - 13th November 2023 - 001.jpg

This photo from today's 'i' newspaper clearly shows a a rocket being launched from Lamba Ness in Ulst.

Only at the end of the text, is it revealed that it's only a CGI version of what could happen if a 'spaceport' was established there.

Those only looking at the pic & not reading to the end of the text, could imagine that a 'spaceport' was already there & working...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:59 am

sun.jpg

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:47 pm

Got handed a leaflet in town yesterday from the Jehovah's Witnesses:

Awake001.jpg

Awake002.jpg

All the sections make factual reports on the current problems.

Here's a typical bit from the 'Oceans' section:

Awake - Oceans Bit.JPG

Top marks all the way, so far ! [With the exception of the leaflet coming in a plastic envelope].

But the last page makes the remedy clear:

Awake004.jpg

No need for man to do anything regarding the dangers of climate change !

God is going to act at the 'appointed time' to put an end to the 'abuse & exploitation'...

...& he will turn our planet into a 'healthy, beautiful paradise' .

We ain't gotta do anything !

He's got it all under control !

We just gotta sit back & wait for this 'appointed time' when the Earth will 'survive & thrive !'

I'm so glad I'm an Atheist...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
John

Postby John » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:44 pm

Colin B wrote:Got handed a leaflet in town yesterday from the Jehovah's Witnesses:

Did you discuss it with them at all, although I suppose there is no room for discussion as all the answers are in the leaflet?

Carry on as we are then. In fact, less have more plastic, let's stop all this recycling nonsense and worrying about fumes. Cease with ULEZ already.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:28 pm

That damn book has answers for everything.

What a swindle, ha ha. Keep the money rolling in, y'all !

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:05 pm

Colin B wrote:Got handed a leaflet in town yesterday from the Jehovah's Witnesses:
John wrote:Did you discuss it with them at all, although I suppose there is no room for discussion as all the answers are in the leaflet?

Carry on as we are then.
In fact, less have more plastic, let's stop all this recycling nonsense and worrying about fumes.
Cease with ULEZ already.

The odd thing is that they correctly identify all the things that are wrong with the planet, but then tell us to leave it to god to sort things out
because he promised he would do so [at least he did in some ancient book of fiction].

It's a kind of 'head in the sand' way of doing nothing & leaving it to someone [or something] else to take the appropriate action.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
John

Postby John » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:19 pm

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:Did you discuss it with them at all, although I suppose there is no room for discussion as all the answers are in the leaflet?

Carry on as we are then.
In fact, less have more plastic, let's stop all this recycling nonsense and worrying about fumes.
Cease with ULEZ already.

The odd thing is that they correctly identify all the things that are wrong with the planet, but then tell us to leave it to god to sort things out
because he promised he would do so [at least he did in some ancient book of fiction].

It's a kind of 'head in the sand' way of doing nothing & leaving it to someone [or something] else to take the appropriate action.

Let's hang around for a few thousand/million years and see what happens.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:34 pm

Colin B wrote:It's a kind of 'head in the sand' way of doing nothing & leaving it to someone [or something] else to take the appropriate action.
John wrote:Let's hang around for a few thousand/million years and see what happens.

In my case, that time span seems a tad ambitious...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:19 pm

Those Jehovah's Witnesses... whenever they ring at home, I don't even open the door. Last time they rang, they told me through the garden door they were there to give me a leaflet to remind me of the religious nature of the easter season. I told them I didn't want it, and they insisted saying they were leaving it in the mail box. I told them again I didn't want it. So they left, and they haven't returned since then. Next time I won't be that polite. I don't hang around them houses telling them about Sun Records, right ?

Them JW folks don't even have a cool factor, like the Hare Krishna folks do. I remember stumbling upon them, when I was a youngster, in downtown Barcelona, where I was with one of my buddies, skipping class. They approached us, and invited us to a vegetarian meal later in the week, and gave us each a small book about the relationship of George Harrison with the HK stuff. We didn't attend the meal, but I kept the book many years, just for the pics (I didn't read it). I think I finally threw it away.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:51 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Those Jehovah's Witnesses... whenever they ring at home, I don't even open the door. Last time they rang, they told me through the garden door they were there to give me a leaflet to remind me of the religious nature of the easter season. I told them I didn't want it, and they insisted saying they were leaving it in the mail box. I told them again I didn't want it. So they left, and they haven't returned since then. Next time I won't be that polite. I don't hang around them houses telling them about Sun Records, right ?

Haha, that made me laugh.

We had a couple of very good JW friends many years ago. They never tried to convert us, but we had some very interesting conversations. We did go to a Kingdom Hall one time to see what it was about, and we were made to feel very welcome, unlike if you attend a Church of England service.

The lady of the couple came to see me on the morning of my wedding to my now ex. She said I should not go, that it was wrong for me. I knew that, but felt I couldn't let everyone down by not turning up. I should have listened and avoided 20+ years of hell.

The only good thing to come out of the marriage was our daughter who is now 4 days overdue to give birth to her first child.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:03 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Those Jehovah's Witnesses... whenever they ring at home, I don't even open the door. Last time they rang, they told me through the garden door they were there to give me a leaflet to remind me of the religious nature of the easter season. I told them I didn't want it, and they insisted saying they were leaving it in the mail box. I told them again I didn't want it. So they left, and they haven't returned since then. Next time I won't be that polite. I don't hang around them houses telling them about Sun Records, right ?

Haha, that made me laugh.

We had a couple of very good JW friends many years ago. They never tried to convert us, but we had some very interesting conversations. We did go to a Kingdom Hall one time to see what it was about, and we were made to feel very welcome, unlike if you attend a Church of England service.

The lady of the couple came to see me on the morning of my wedding to my now ex. She said I should not go, that it was wrong for me. I knew that, but felt I couldn't let everyone down by not turning up. I should have listened and avoided 20+ years of hell.

The only good thing to come out of the marriage was our daughter who is now 4 days overdue to give birth to her first child.

The JW thing appeared here around the mid-seventies, as I recall. A couple of my school mates turned into it. We were all like 10 years old. But I have a clear recall that they suddenly became obsessed with religion, which is quite a tragedy, not to mention at that very young age. They liked to play and everything, like the rest of us, but whenever the opportunity arose, they always had religion in their conversations. One of them even tried to convince us about stuff we didn't gave a damn about, like the meaning of the cross as a sign, and so on. It was weird, and it made me sad. It still makes me sad to think about it. Another one of my school mates turned, years later, into one of those cults where they go around with a megaphone announcing the end of the world. I saw him once do that at the main square here where I live, and it was a mix of a funny and scary feeling.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:05 pm

John wrote:The only good thing to come out of the marriage was our daughter who is now 4 days overdue to give birth to her first child.

That's very good news, John. My very best wishes to all of you. Congratulations.

Return to “Off Topic”