The Sayaka Alessandra Appreciation Topic X

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Mister Moon

Re: The Sayaka Alessandra Appreciation Topic X

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:30 pm

John wrote:I also saw Quo about 15 years ago at the Henley Festival. They were past their best by then, but still rocking. I've got some photos taken from a distance, somewhere. Sitting directly in front of me was John Madejski (local entrepreneur) and Cilla Black.

Every time I hear "Gerdundula", I remember something that happened almost 40 years ago.

In the early / mid 80s, there was this local rockabilly band whose members were maybe four or five years older than us. We kinda looked up on them, and we eventually became really good friends. Some of the coolest people I've ever known. They had a couple of original songs, but they mainly played versions of 50s rocking stuff, combining well-known songs with others that were more obscure. Because they knew we liked it, they always dedicated their version of Johnny Burnette Trio's "Tear It Up" to us, which was quite cool. One of them, the lead guitar player, eventually ended up playing for a major band that enjoyed big success in the late 80s. The guy hated that band, he played just for money. It was much better than working at a factory. Every time we met, we talked about the "old" times and laughed. A big Ricky Nelson fan.

Anyway, they were once playing an open air summer concert at a local football place. There were maybe a hundred people seeing them that day. So they were reaching the end of their concert, and here come maybe half a dozen of damn local junkies, the kind of dangerous people everybody feared. They usually carried knives with them, and it was no good to be close to them. So those bastards, this time carrying wooden sticks, get to the front of the stage and start yelling for a Status Quo song. The guys in the band saw what was going on, and out of nowhere, they start playing "Gerdundula", while the junkies start to dance and jump like mad. After the song ended, the junkies left the place, so the band saved everybody's asses, ha ha.

John

Postby John » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:00 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:I also saw Quo about 15 years ago at the Henley Festival. They were past their best by then, but still rocking. I've got some photos taken from a distance, somewhere. Sitting directly in front of me was John Madejski (local entrepreneur) and Cilla Black.

Every time I hear "Gerdundula", I remember something that happened almost 40 years ago.

In the early / mid 80s, there was this local rockabilly band whose members were maybe four or five years older than us. We kinda looked up on them, and we eventually became really good friends. Some of the coolest people I've ever known. They had a couple of original songs, but they mainly played versions of 50s rocking stuff, combining well-known songs with others that were more obscure. Because they knew we liked it, they always dedicated their version of Johnny Burnette Trio's "Tear It Up" to us, which was quite cool. One of them, the lead guitar player, eventually ended up playing for a major band that enjoyed big success in the late 80s. The guy hated that band, he played just for money. It was much better than working at a factory. Every time we met, we talked about the "old" times and laughed. A big Ricky Nelson fan.

Anyway, they were once playing an open air summer concert at a local football place. There were maybe a hundred people seeing them that day. So they were reaching the end of their concert, and here come maybe half a dozen of damn local junkies, the kind of dangerous people everybody feared. They usually carried knives with them, and it was no good to be close to them. So those bastards, this time carrying wooden sticks, get to the front of the stage and start yelling for a Status Quo song. The guys in the band saw what was going on, and out of nowhere, they start playing "Gerdundula", while the junkies start to dance and jump like mad. After the song ended, the junkies left the place, so the band saved everybody's asses, ha ha.

That's a nice story.

STEVE MORSE

Postby STEVE MORSE » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:31 pm

Mister Moon wrote:

Thanks John. I would bet we already had this one somewhere in this thread, but I will not complain at all.

Steve, have you seen this one ? ;)

Yes, safely downloaded earlier this year !

I guess we'll get a new Elvis song on August 16th.

John

Postby John » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:38 pm

We've surely had this before, but even if we have, it's worth having it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE-WEfalsQM

Steve

Postby Steve » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:13 pm

Thanks John.
She makes it look effortless.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:22 pm

John wrote:We've surely had this before, but even if we have, it's worth having it again.

Very good. Phil would have been proud.

STEVE MORSE

Postby STEVE MORSE » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:38 pm

John wrote:We've surely had this before, but even if we have, it's worth having it again.

I have often wondered who's behind the camera . . .

STEVE MORSE

Postby STEVE MORSE » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:40 pm

No Elvis video from Sayaka for 16th August (so far). Disappointing.

John

Postby John » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:25 pm

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:04 pm

John wrote:It's been a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oglpTUGh_hQ

Well, not bad at all for such a bold choice. Elvis' master take is no doubt one of his masterpieces. A BIG favourite of mine.

Thanks for posting this.

John

Postby John » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:10 pm

Mister Moon wrote:

Well, not bad at all for such a bold choice. Elvis' master take is no doubt one of his masterpieces. A BIG favourite of mine.

Thanks for posting this.

Yes, I also think it's a great rendition by Elvis. You've got the one where the Jords covers up his mistake, right?

I thought Sayaka struggled a little with this. She's normally fantastic. She could maybe have brought it down half a tone.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:55 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Thanks for posting this.

Yes, I also think it's a great rendition by Elvis. You've got the one where the Jords covers up his mistake, right?

I believe you are thinking of "Is It So Strange", right ? It's another favourite of mine, very much in the same vein as "I Was The One".

John

Postby John » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:01 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Thanks for posting this.

I believe you are thinking of "Is It So Strange", right ? It's another favourite of mine, very much in the same vein as "I Was The One".

I was just testing you. You've passed.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:28 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Thanks for posting this.

I was just testing you. You've passed.

Gotta love those live versions he did in Tupelo and Shreveport in 1956. Where's my time machine ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5oFkJLoeYU

STEVE MORSE

Postby STEVE MORSE » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:29 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Thanks for posting this.

I thought Sayaka struggled a little with this. She's normally fantastic. She could maybe have brought it down half a tone.

I'm happy to watch her struggle, any day, John ! I like that the video is "unedited". Her vocal tone is fantastic. It's just good to see that she is still around and doing Elvis - and just as natural as ever.

Return to “Off Topic”