Modern Life is Good-ish

Share your non-Elvis stuff here
User avatar

John
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 2635 times
Been thanked: 3797 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby John » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:03 am

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:I've been trying out an 'automatic colouriser' app for b & w photos.

The results vary, but sometimes are [almost] acceptable:
John wrote:It begs the question, why would you want to colourise black and white photos?



Because the original subjects were in full colour.

It's the black & white versions which are a distortion of the true state of things.

The colouring is an attempt, however weak, to capture how things might have really looked...

No, that doesn't work for me. There are many iconic B&W photos. There's a different perspective to B&W photos which could be lost had they been in colour.

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 17991
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 3760 times
Been thanked: 4031 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby Colin B » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:34 am

Mountain Mist wrote:How does the app know which colours to choose, Colin?


The site states:

"Note: The purpose of colourisation is to generate an image with colours that are plausible.
It by no means guarantees that the colourised image is an accurate representation of the actual snapshot in time."


In other words, it makes a wild guess !

It's quite a fun thing to play with !

Don't let miserable nay-sayers tell you different !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

John
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 2635 times
Been thanked: 3797 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby John » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:59 am

Colin B wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:How does the app know which colours to choose, Colin?


The site states:

"Note: The purpose of colourisation is to generate an image with colours that are plausible.
It by no means guarantees that the colourised image is an accurate representation of the actual snapshot in time."


In other words, it makes a wild guess !

It's quite a fun thing to play with !

Don't let miserable nay-sayers tell you different !

I'll tell you different without being miserable, or a nay-sayer. It may be fun, but it's not real. Lots of things are fun, but they are not fun for everyone. If the black & white versions are a distortion of the true state of things, then false colourisation is as much, if not more, a distortion of the true state of things. Can you imagine how poor the Wertheimer shots would be if you colourised them?

If it's a wild guess, what's the point?

You said yourself
Because the original subjects were in full colour.

It's the black & white versions which are a distortion of the true state of things.

The colouring is an attempt, however weak, to capture how things might have really looked...


Weak is right, as it by no mean represents or resembles the real thing. As you know, there are lots of false images on the internet where people have colourised photos, and then people believe they are real when they are not.

I'm not putting you down for playing with it so you should not be so defensive, I'm sure it's fun, but it should not be used to present something as real when it wasn't, which I'm sure you'd never do. The RPO recordings are fun (some of them), but again, some people may see these as the original recordings when they are not. At least though it's made clear they are not original whereas with photos it's not always clear.

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 17991
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 3760 times
Been thanked: 4031 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby Colin B » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:11 pm

I have a morning routine which involves getting a newspaper & making my way to the café for a coffee & a muffin.

My muffin of choice is "walnut & banana" as described on the wrapper.

The list of ingredients has included banana flavouring & walnuts, & there's "may contain nuts" warning.

I just noticed today that the description has now been shortened to simply read 'banana' & the reference to walnuts has been left out of the list of ingredients & the warning about nuts is also missing.

What is strange is that the actual muffin remains unchanged, with the walnuts clearly still present !

Did they intend to drop the nuts, due to allergy problems, & had new wrappers printed, only to realise that they had a warehouse full of walnuts & decided to use them up first before changing the ingredients ?

I think I should be told !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

John
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 2635 times
Been thanked: 3797 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby John » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:24 pm

Colin B wrote:I have a morning routine which involves getting a newspaper & making my way to the café for a coffee & a muffin.

My muffin of choice is "walnut & banana" as described on the wrapper.

The list of ingredients has included banana flavouring & walnuts, & there's "may contain nuts" warning.

I just noticed today that the description has now been shortened to simply read 'banana' & the reference to walnuts has been left out of the list of ingredients & the warning about nuts is also missing.

What is strange is that the actual muffin remains unchanged, with the walnuts clearly still present !

Did they intend to drop the nuts, due to allergy problems, & had new wrappers printed, only to realise that they had a warehouse full of walnuts & decided to use them up first before changing the ingredients ?

I think I should be told !

In light of what happened to Natasha Ednan-Laperouse after eating a Pret A Manger sandwich, they should be aware of Natasha's Law which is due to come into force in a couple of years (why does it take 2 years?).

https://news.sky.com/story/natashas-law ... h-11748385

Who is the muffin supplier?

I think THEY should be told, and you're the man to do it, Colin. You could be saving a life.

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 17991
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 3760 times
Been thanked: 4031 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby Colin B » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:26 pm

John wrote:In light of what happened to Natasha Ednan-Laperouse after eating a Pret A Manger sandwich, they should be aware of Natasha's Law which is due to come into force in a couple of years (why does it take 2 years?).

https://news.sky.com/story/natashas-law ... h-11748385

Who is the muffin supplier?

I think THEY should be told, and you're the man to do it, Colin. You could be saving a life.



It's an odd coincidence that I should report my 'muffin' anecdote on the very day the news breaks about the new law [which I hadn't read when I posted].

I've pointed out the anomaly to the cafe staff.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

John
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 2635 times
Been thanked: 3797 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby John » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:40 pm

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:In light of what happened to Natasha Ednan-Laperouse after eating a Pret A Manger sandwich, they should be aware of Natasha's Law which is due to come into force in a couple of years (why does it take 2 years?).

https://news.sky.com/story/natashas-law ... h-11748385

Who is the muffin supplier?

I think THEY should be told, and you're the man to do it, Colin. You could be saving a life.



It's an odd coincidence that I should report my 'muffin' anecdote on the very day the news breaks about the new law [which I hadn't read when I posted].

I've pointed out the anomaly to the cafe staff.

What did they say?

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 17991
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 3760 times
Been thanked: 4031 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby Colin B » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:52 pm

Colin B wrote:I've pointed out the anomaly to the cafe staff.
John wrote:What did they say?


"That's odd !"
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

John
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 2635 times
Been thanked: 3797 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby John » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:51 pm

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:I've pointed out the anomaly to the cafe staff.
John wrote:What did they say?


"That's odd !"

I'm sure that's not a defence if someone dies.

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 17991
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 3760 times
Been thanked: 4031 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby Colin B » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:23 pm

Colin B wrote:I've pointed out the anomaly to the cafe staff.
John wrote:What did they say?
Colin B wrote:"That's odd !"
John wrote:I'm sure that's not a defence if someone dies.



They'll claim the labelling responsibility is with the supplier.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

Suspicious Minds
Posts: 3844
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:08 am
Location: Heartburn Motel, Promised Land
Has thanked: 3049 times
Been thanked: 1133 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby Suspicious Minds » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:37 am

The explicit mention of ‘nuts’ has been interpreted as sexually inappropriate?!
Don't take yourself too seriously ;-)

User avatar

John
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 2635 times
Been thanked: 3797 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby John » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:06 am

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:I've pointed out the anomaly to the cafe staff.
John wrote:What did they say?
Colin B wrote:"That's odd !"
John wrote:I'm sure that's not a defence if someone dies.



They'll claim the labelling responsibility is with the supplier.

I'm sure that's not a defence if someone dies.

As an aside, Indian restaurants now have to advise customers if there are ingredients in their food that customers might be allergic to. I guess this is the same for all restaurants. One of my daughters has a nut allergy and we always ask restaurants about the ingredients if there's any doubt, and they bring out an information sheet. They still have a disclaimer that says they won't take responsibility though if the customer re-acts to any ingredients.

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 17991
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 3760 times
Been thanked: 4031 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby Colin B » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:48 pm

Update:

Evidence:


Muffin - Red .JPG
Muffin Wrapper - 003.jpg


I've e-mailed them pointing out the danger of their labelling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

John
Posts: 15016
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 2635 times
Been thanked: 3797 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby John » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Colin B wrote:Update:

Evidence:


Muffin - Red .JPGMuffin Wrapper - 003.jpg

I've e-mailed them pointing out the danger of their labelling.

Excellent, thank you. Keep us posted please.


Mountain Mist
Posts: 13667
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:06 pm
Has thanked: 9471 times
Been thanked: 7517 times

Re: Modern Life is Good-ish

Postby Mountain Mist » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:35 pm

Good on you Colin.

Perhaps the sellers of the muffins, stupidly, tried to save money, by using less words, (to their own detriment).

I noticed in the last few months that For Sale signs and For Rent signs now are just "Sale" or "Rent".

Seems a bit rude to me.


Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest