Aren't we a weird bunch?

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
Yin Yang

Aren't we a weird bunch?

Postby Yin Yang » Sat May 04, 2024 12:54 pm

Normally fans collect the music and memorabilia of an artist.
With Elvis it is the same, but ...... we also investigate and visit places he has been, like his school, birthplace (even though that is not the original one but a re-built replica), recording studio's, stores where he bought his clothes and records, places he performed, et cetera.
Next to that "we" investigate about people around him, being former dates and girlfriends, co-stars from the movies, musicians, "friends", cars et cetera.
We pay top money to attend an event where people around Elvis talk about what we already know from their books.
Worst of all "we" even pay top money to see third rate impersonators trying to perform as close as possible Elvis' hits.
If a photographer took a series of photo's of which one or two were used for an article, we try to find the complete series and pay a top price for a book with these photo's.
While in the 70's and 80's poor sounding audience recordings were the holy grail, since then "better quality sound" versions are released and selling like hot cakes.
Aren't we a weird bunch? :lol:

HillbillyCat

Re: Aren't we a weird bunch?

Postby HillbillyCat » Sat May 04, 2024 3:01 pm

There are quite a few forms of being a fan and not everyone would subscribe to your entire list. For example, I never did care about Elvis events of any kind and I've never liked ETAs, to put it mildly. I also no longer spend top prices on anything - I left this "rat race" a long time ago as it feels like it's all about squeezing the last penny out of us and making the collector value shoot through the roof (for example: there's currently a jaw-dropping offer on eBay for a sealed version of the FTD box set "The Making of Viva Las Vegas" for no less than 1,700 euros... :shock: ). But apart from that, especially when I consider how much time I spend on my hobby (and that's all it is, as I have sworn never to earn money with it in any way), the word "weird" does surely apply to me as well. ;)

alberta sheffield

Postby alberta sheffield » Sat May 04, 2024 3:59 pm

"for example: there's currently a jaw-dropping offer on eBay for a sealed version of the FTD box set "The Making of Viva Las Vegas" for no less than 1,700 euros.."
While it was offered here in germany for 85 euros on release I thought about: is it really worth for me?
I said: no. Although I could easily afford double the price.

So I passed.
People paying those prices with normal income ( not the rich ones who couldn't care less) will someday think: what and why have I done?
Especially the ones who don't even open the items and leave them sealed and therefore don't even enjoy the content.
I pity them, to be honest.
If it brings you enjoyment, ok...go for it.
But for a lot of people it is a compulsive disorder thing, hoarding for the sake of hoarding.
I did stupid things on my life.
But I am glad that I am not addicted to hoarding just for hoardings sake.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun May 05, 2024 8:08 am

My spending is mostly limited to his music !

All of his studio, live & rehearsal recordings & outtakes that have had an 'official' release plus some 'unofficial' stuff.

And a lot of books as well.

Never worked out the total spend, but must be in the £ thousands.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Colin.Bee

Postby Colin.Bee » Sun May 05, 2024 10:41 am

I thought how weird we are when visiting the Elvis exhibition in London recently. Paying the admission fee, two nights in a hotel and a train fare to go and see items Elvis wore or owned and I’d seen a lot of the items before, but I throughly enjoyed it a hope to go again before it closes.

I buy hardly anything these days, realising years ago how we were being fleeced by record companies and publishers. It was a very hard habit to kick but I managed it. There’s still a few gaps in the pre 77 UK discography that I’d like to fill, but I probably never will.

I would like it to go on record that I have never paid any money to watch an ETA and never will and I do not understand those that do.

What I love about this place is everyone’s passion and knowledge about Elvis. We have people who can date a photo by the combination of jacket and shirt that Elvis is wearing. People who can spot who’s in a photo with Elvis and where it was taken from a tea cup on a table or some other clue that Colin gives us. And then there’s the people who can tell us everything about a recording session and the singles and albums that were released from that session. Phoenix is truly a great place to hang out, even if we are all weird.

John

Postby John » Sun May 05, 2024 11:07 am

Yin Yang wrote:Normally fans collect the music and memorabilia of an artist.
With Elvis it is the same, but ...... we also investigate and visit places he has been, like his school, birthplace (even though that is not the original one but a re-built replica), recording studio's, stores where he bought his clothes and records, places he performed, et cetera.
I never have.
Next to that "we" investigate about people around him, being former dates and girlfriends, co-stars from the movies, musicians, "friends", cars et cetera.
Rarely. Maybe in connection with something else, and then only co-stars or musicians. Not interested in dates and girlfriends as such.
We pay top money to attend an event where people around Elvis talk about what we already know from their books.
Never done that, never will. Ginger Alden was appearing at a venue near me recently, but I had no interest in going. If it had been a musician from his band or studio crew, I'd probably have gone.
Worst of all "we" even pay top money to see third rate impersonators trying to perform as close as possible Elvis' hits.
Never ever.
If a photographer took a series of photo's of which one or two were used for an article, we try to find the complete series and pay a top price for a book with these photo's.
Never ever.
While in the 70's and 80's poor sounding audience recordings were the holy grail, since then "better quality sound" versions are released and selling like hot cakes.

Rickeap

Postby Rickeap » Sun May 05, 2024 11:16 am

How many travel across oceans to visit the home of their favourite singer? Yes, I think we do qualify as being a bit weird at times.

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Sun May 05, 2024 7:02 pm

I must admit to seeing a few ETAs in my time, Although I did go with other fans. I have collected memorabilia. And I did visit Tupelo and Graceland. Which was my most memorable of my Elvis journey.
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

alberta sheffield

Postby alberta sheffield » Mon May 06, 2024 5:09 pm

I had the chance to see a few ETA ' s for free.
Everytime I went out of the room or hall etc.
I just can't stand them.
If somebody would try the 50s Elvis I would at least watch one time and listen one song if it's worth to listen to another by him.
But all I saw and immediately went away were the 70s pajama suit types.
I just can't stand them.
I just can't bring it myself to it.
The few youtube videos I saw with them for a few seconds worked pretty good for a week to loose my appetite for eating.

alberta sheffield

Postby alberta sheffield » Mon May 06, 2024 5:12 pm

Rickeap wrote:How many travel across oceans to visit the home of their favourite singer? Yes, I think we do qualify as being a bit weird at times.

I thought one time in the 90s that one time in my life I will make the big ride and visit Graceland at least one time.
But after that period I lost interest even visiting Graceland.
Now it's just the music.
And some movies, TV appearances etc.

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Mon May 06, 2024 7:44 pm

alberta sheffield wrote:I had the chance to see a few ETA ' s for free.
I just can't stand them.
If somebody would try the 50s Elvis I would at least watch one time and listen one song if it's worth to listen to another by him.
I just can't stand them.
The few youtube videos I saw with them for a few seconds worked pretty good for a week to loose my appetite for eating.

I did see a 50s Elvis he was good. Well dressed. Had a good voice. And respected Elvis memory. Some ETAs think they are Elvis.
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

John

Postby John » Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

elvislady wrote:
alberta sheffield wrote:I had the chance to see a few ETA ' s for free.
I just can't stand them.
I just can't stand them.

I did see a 50s Elvis he was good. Well dressed. Had a good voice. And respected Elvis memory. Some ETAs think they are Elvis.

I would never willingly go and watch an ETA.

N880EAP

Postby N880EAP » Tue May 07, 2024 11:36 pm

Yin Yang wrote:Normally fans collect the music and memorabilia of an artist.

As for myself:

1. "Investigate and visit places he has been, like his school, birthplace (even though that is not the original one but a re-built replica), recording studio's, stores where he bought his clothes and records, places he performed, et cetera."

Have only been to Graceland (twice) and Tupelo (once). To be honest, that's enough. No desire to return to either place again.

2. "Next to that "we" investigate about people around him, being former dates and girlfriends, co-stars from the movies, musicians, "friends", cars et cetera."

Just read books about some of the people in his orbit, because they all have various pieces to the overall story. That being said, some books are better than others.

3. "We pay top money to attend an event where people around Elvis talk about what we already know from their books."

Never have.

4. "Pay top money to see third rate impersonators"

Again, never have. All or most impersonators make me uncomfortable, because they are embarrassingly cringeworthy.

5. "If a photographer took a series of photo's of which one or two were used for an article, we try to find the complete series and pay a top price for a book with these photo's."

Can't say that I have ever done this, either.

6. "While in the 70's and 80's poor sounding audience recordings were the holy grail, since then "better quality sound" versions are released and selling like hot cakes."

Never liked ARs, then or now.

But, as our Man himself would say....."a buncha....."

weirdos.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Off Topic”