Can you recommend a good guitar course (rockabilly or the like)?

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
ElizaDoolittle

Can you recommend a good guitar course (rockabilly or the like)?

Postby ElizaDoolittle » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:15 pm

For many years, I've been a frustrated guitar player. Long ago, I had a private tutor for three of four years, but I felt I wasn't learning much, and tried another one for just a few months. I attribute part of the failure to my own inadequacy for the task, and part to my teachers. There's not much to choose from where I live, and my two teachers were both expert on styles I don't like too much: I don't mind listening to them, but that's not what I'd like to do myself. The first one was into blues rock, and the second was a heavy metal guy. But if I had to name my three favourite guitar players, they'd have to be George Harrison, Scotty Moore and Carl Perkins.

Can anyone recommend a guitar course that might suit my tastes? I think what I'd enjoy the most is rockabilly. I don't mind paying for it if there isn't a good free one, but what I cannot do is attend weekly lessons. My working schedule doesn't allow that, and I know I wouldn't be playing much except in summer and at the odd weekend. I know this is not the right way to learn an instrument, since daily practice is essential, but I'd make a point to play for five-fifteen minutes every day, if not to improve, at least not to forget what I've learnt. What I'm looking for is a book / DVD / downloadable material / YouTube channel which I can get and use whenever I can, at my own pace. If I had to pay for weekly lessons, most of them would be a waste of money, as I wouldn't have been able to practise after the previous one. I suspect I'll feel frustrated at not being able to practise regularly, but I've reached a point in which I do feel frustrated at sitting back and letting the years pass without trying again.

On top of that, there's something I do not need. I learnt to play classical piano to a professional level (though I've never done so), so I am fluent at reading music, I know all the theory behind chords and scales (which doesn't mean I know how to play them with a guitar), and I don't need people telling me what common time, a sharp or a semiquaver are. I'd like to find a guitar course starting on a basic level, but not a music course starting on a basic level. And, oh, one more thing... My written English is not bad, but I'm in big trouble where spoken English is involved. So I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to profit from that excellent guitar tutor with the broad Appalachian accent, unless his videos have subtitles!

I would really appreciate if someone could help me. I thought that a forum about Elvis must be full of people who like his early records, can play like that and may help me.

Thanks a lot in advance!
The rine in Spine sties minely in the pline.

Mister Moon

Re: Can you recommend a good guitar course (rockabilly or the like)?

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:22 am

Randy Richter, from Germany, is an excellent rockabilly guitar player, and he has an excellent video channel where he teaches tons of tricks. You can see also watch it with English subtitles :

https://www.youtube.com/c/ducktailcat1956/videos

Topic author
ElizaDoolittle

Postby ElizaDoolittle » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:13 pm

@Mister Moon, thanks a lot for the recommendations. I've watched a couple of Randy Richter's videos, and I think that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll have to figure out what the easiest songs to start are, but I think I'm going to profit a lot from his channels.

As to the bonus videos, they were really enjoyable to watch. I think I need to know a bit more before being able to get from them something I can apply to my playing, but they're among the best I've seen.

Thanks!
The rine in Spine sties minely in the pline.

John

Postby John » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:21 pm

and not necessarily rockabilly, but this lady has a great way with a guitar.
https://www.theelvisforum-phoenix.com/v ... lit=sayaka

Return to “Off Topic”