A Beatles Anniversary

Share your non-Elvis stuff here
User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 24709
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 6334 times
Been thanked: 6078 times

A Beatles Anniversary

Postby Colin B » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:22 pm

From the 'i' UK Newspaper - 11th January, 2022:

'i' Anniversary - 11th Jan 2022 - 001.jpg


Miming on TV ?

Don't think our boy ever did that !

The only 'miming' came with the Hollywood films...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

Mister Moon
Posts: 10318
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 2868 times
Been thanked: 5031 times

Re: A Beatles Anniversary

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:28 pm

Colin B wrote:From the 'i' UK Newspaper - 11th January, 2022:

'i' Anniversary - 11th Jan 2022 - 001.jpg

Miming on TV ?

Don't think our boy ever did that !

The only 'miming' came with the Hollywood films...


He did in the 1968 TV Special too, but not in the 50s, or the Timex appearance, of course.

User avatar

John
Posts: 22342
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 4692 times
Been thanked: 6187 times

Re: A Beatles Anniversary

Postby John » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:57 pm

Colin B wrote:From the 'i' UK Newspaper - 11th January, 2022:

'i' Anniversary - 11th Jan 2022 - 001.jpg

Miming on TV ?

Don't think our boy ever did that !

The only 'miming' came with the Hollywood films...

I think that was the policy for everyone. Back then, I don't think they were allowed to sing live.

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 24709
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 6334 times
Been thanked: 6078 times

Re: A Beatles Anniversary

Postby Colin B » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:00 pm

Colin B wrote:From the 'i' UK Newspaper - 11th January, 2022:

'i' Anniversary - 11th Jan 2022 - 001.jpg

Miming on TV ?

Don't think our boy ever did that !

The only 'miming' came with the Hollywood films...
Mister Moon wrote:He did in the 1968 TV Special too, but not in the 50s, or the Timex appearance, of course.


Yes, you're right !

I forgot the '68 TV programme...

... which was a mix of 'live' & 'mimed' audio...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

javilu
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:37 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentinian Kingdom
Has thanked: 514 times
Been thanked: 345 times

Re: A Beatles Anniversary

Postby javilu » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:44 pm

John wrote:
Colin B wrote:From the 'i' UK Newspaper - 11th January, 2022:

'i' Anniversary - 11th Jan 2022 - 001.jpg

Miming on TV ?

Don't think our boy ever did that !

The only 'miming' came with the Hollywood films...

I think that was the policy for everyone. Back then, I don't think they were allowed to sing live.


Also, I've read about 60s artists saying if they played live they had no control over how the mix would sound on TV and it could be awful.
Image

User avatar

John
Posts: 22342
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 4692 times
Been thanked: 6187 times

Re: A Beatles Anniversary

Postby John » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:08 pm

javilu wrote:
John wrote:
Colin B wrote:From the 'i' UK Newspaper - 11th January, 2022:

'i' Anniversary - 11th Jan 2022 - 001.jpg

Miming on TV ?

Don't think our boy ever did that !

The only 'miming' came with the Hollywood films...

I think that was the policy for everyone. Back then, I don't think they were allowed to sing live.


Also, I've read about 60s artists saying if they played live they had no control over how the mix would sound on TV and it could be awful.

That's a very good point. You should mime more often...(I'm kidding).

User avatar

javilu
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:37 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentinian Kingdom
Has thanked: 514 times
Been thanked: 345 times

Re: A Beatles Anniversary

Postby javilu » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:29 pm

John wrote:
javilu wrote:
John wrote:
Colin B wrote:From the 'i' UK Newspaper - 11th January, 2022:

'i' Anniversary - 11th Jan 2022 - 001.jpg

Miming on TV ?

Don't think our boy ever did that !

The only 'miming' came with the Hollywood films...

I think that was the policy for everyone. Back then, I don't think they were allowed to sing live.


Also, I've read about 60s artists saying if they played live they had no control over how the mix would sound on TV and it could be awful.

That's a very good point. You should mime more often...(I'm kidding).


Very funny ... not!
Image

User avatar

Mister Moon
Posts: 10318
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 2868 times
Been thanked: 5031 times

Re: A Beatles Anniversary

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:53 pm

javilu wrote:
John wrote:
Colin B wrote:From the 'i' UK Newspaper - 11th January, 2022:

'i' Anniversary - 11th Jan 2022 - 001.jpg

Miming on TV ?

Don't think our boy ever did that !

The only 'miming' came with the Hollywood films...

I think that was the policy for everyone. Back then, I don't think they were allowed to sing live.


Also, I've read about 60s artists saying if they played live they had no control over how the mix would sound on TV and it could be awful.


I guess it depended more on each TV program's policy, rather than being a choice for each act.

There are clips of The Beatles performing live on TV.

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 24709
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 6334 times
Been thanked: 6078 times

Re: A Beatles Anniversary

Postby Colin B » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:50 pm

javilu wrote:...Also, I've read about 60s artists saying if they played live they had no control over how the mix would sound on TV and it could be awful.


Yes, Peter Waterman [of Stock Aitken Waterman fame] hated his acts singing 'live' !

After all the work they'd put in getting the audio 'just right' on their recorded songs, to hear attempts at recreating the sound
'live' on Top of the Pops, or wherever, was a painful experience !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 24709
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 6334 times
Been thanked: 6078 times

Re: A Beatles Anniversary

Postby Colin B » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:45 pm

From the UK Newspaper 'i' - 21st November, 2022:

'i' UK Newspaper - 21st Nov 2022 - 001.jpg


From YouTube:
George Harrison - Guitar.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

John
Posts: 22342
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 4692 times
Been thanked: 6187 times

Re: A Beatles Anniversary

Postby John » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:42 pm

Colin B wrote:From the UK Newspaper 'i' - 21st November, 2022:

'i' UK Newspaper - 21st Nov 2022 - 001.jpg

From YouTube:
George Harrison - Guitar.JPG

That, to me, is stupid. If I had that kind of money, I'd help someone in need, not spend it on a guitar that a pop star once owned. I really do not understand the mentality of people who do this kind of thing.

User avatar

Topic author
Colin B
Posts: 24709
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 6334 times
Been thanked: 6078 times

Re: A Beatles Anniversary

Postby Colin B » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:19 pm

John wrote:That, to me, is stupid.
If I had that kind of money, I'd help someone in need, not spend it on a guitar that a pop star once owned.
I really do not understand the mentality of people who do this kind of thing.


They are hoping the value will appreciate & can be sold on for a profit at a later time.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

John
Posts: 22342
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 4692 times
Been thanked: 6187 times

Re: A Beatles Anniversary

Postby John » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:41 pm

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:That, to me, is stupid.
If I had that kind of money, I'd help someone in need, not spend it on a guitar that a pop star once owned.
I really do not understand the mentality of people who do this kind of thing.


They are hoping the value will appreciate & can be sold on for a profit at a later time.

Yes, I'm sure they are. It's still crazy. Just think of the good that money could do.


Richard
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 7:41 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Re: A Beatles Anniversary

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:21 pm

John wrote:
Colin B wrote:
John wrote:That, to me, is stupid.
If I had that kind of money, I'd help someone in need, not spend it on a guitar that a pop star once owned.
I really do not understand the mentality of people who do this kind of thing.


They are hoping the value will appreciate & can be sold on for a profit at a later time.

Yes, I'm sure they are. It's still crazy. Just think of the good that money could do.

But what's the cutoff point at which an amount becomes obscene? If someone buys a car costing £150,000 should they have bought a cheaper one and given the difference to charity? What about paying £2,500 for an autograph? £600 for a box of vinyl records? £200 for a book?

User avatar

John
Posts: 22342
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 4692 times
Been thanked: 6187 times

Re: A Beatles Anniversary

Postby John » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:47 pm

Richard wrote:
John wrote:
Colin B wrote:
John wrote:That, to me, is stupid.
If I had that kind of money, I'd help someone in need, not spend it on a guitar that a pop star once owned.
I really do not understand the mentality of people who do this kind of thing.


They are hoping the value will appreciate & can be sold on for a profit at a later time.

Yes, I'm sure they are. It's still crazy. Just think of the good that money could do.

But what's the cutoff point at which an amount becomes obscene? If someone buys a car costing £150,000 should they have bought a cheaper one and given the difference to charity? What about paying £2,500 for an autograph? £600 for a box of vinyl records? £200 for a book?

All too much.

Yeah, each to his own and all that stuff, but it just seems crazy to me.


Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest