Patsy Cline

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Mister Moon

Re: Patsy Cline

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:27 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:She was a great singer, but her best records are her earliest ones. The arrangements on some of her later records are unlistenable for me.

Here's the first recording of "Crazy", by the author of the song :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnYEQbEHNZE

I think you are missing context of the time in which she was recording.

She was just coming into her own in the 1961-63 period, and creating a new country sound known as the Nashville sound.

Her producer was using strings to create this lush sound such as with songs like, "Crazy", "She's got you", and "Sweet Dreams",
that had not been heard before.

Decades later KD Lang used that formula and sound (same producer as well) on some of her Albums.

KD even called her band the RE-Clines.

Patsy's main influence on country music was not her early stuff, but her later ballads with these lushly
produced full sounding records. That's what she is really known for.

I'm fully aware of this. Still, I believe his earliest records are, by far, the best records she ever did.

Huh?

Her ! ;)

Hey, it's not too bad from somebody who's never studied English !

John

Postby John » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:32 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:She was a great singer, but her best records are her earliest ones. The arrangements on some of her later records are unlistenable for me.

She was just coming into her own in the 1961-63 period, and creating a new country sound known as the Nashville sound.

Her producer was using strings to create this lush sound such as with songs like, "Crazy", "She's got you", and "Sweet Dreams",

Decades later KD Lang used that formula and sound (same producer as well) on some of her Albums.

Patsy's main influence on country music was not her early stuff, but her later ballads with these lushly

I'm fully aware of this. Still, I believe his earliest records are, by far, the best records she ever did.

Huh?

Her ! ;)

Yeah I know. It's not my first language either.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:41 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

Huh?

Her ! ;)

There was once a study done by some university where they tried to find the language that would be the easier one to learn for some martian that would visit our planet, and it was English by far. On the other side, it's also by far the most bastardized language ever by those, like me for example, who don't do it justice. You can't win 'em all !

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:00 pm

This is a great record from 1957. Just beautiful.

The song was co-written by Eddie Miller, who also co-wrote several other songs for her, as well as a couple of classics that would be recorded later by Elvis - "Release Me" and "After Loving You" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJX-nnCjoUM

John

Postby John » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:49 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

Huh?

Her ! ;)

There was once a study done by some university where they tried to find the language that would be the easier one to learn for some martian that would visit our planet, and it was English by far. On the other side, it's also by far the most bastardized language ever by those, like me for example, who don't do it justice. You can't win 'em all !

Did they ask any Martians in their research?

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:22 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

Huh?

Her ! ;)

Did they ask any Martians in their research?

Ha, ha. I don't know how they did it, but it was quite interesting. I believe Japanese was among the most difficult ones.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:45 pm

As far as I know, she never recorded "Shake, Rattle & Roll" officially, but here's Patsy doing a live rendition of the Jesse Stone song in 1961. Not really an outstanding version, but interesting to hear :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tzE3B73Jxo

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:59 pm

Mister Moon wrote:As far as I know, she never recorded "Shake, Rattle & Roll" officially, but here's Patsy doing a live rendition of the Jesse Stone song in 1961. Not really an outstanding version, but interesting to hear :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tzE3B73Jxo

Thanks !

It's quite good !

She should have done more rockin' stuff !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:23 am

Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

All Country artists were at there best before the crappy "Nashville Sound" arrived to murder their music. So glad that Hank Williams didn't have to live through it.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:00 am

Mojo Filter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

All Country artists were at there best before the crappy "Nashville Sound" arrived to murder their music. So glad that Hank Williams didn't have to live through it.

Patsy was different. Hank was a totally different type of artist.
What is perfect for one artist may not be right for another.

So, that crappy Nashville sound as you call it, that Elvis used, and Patsy's long line of hit records like, "I fall to pieces",
"Crazy", "Sweet Dreams", "She's got you", and a bunch of others was just terrible huh?

fyi, Patsy is remembered for her 1960's recordings, not her earlier 1950's ones.

the 1950s recordings are very good, but they were not iconic like her later recordings were, and they were
what lifted her from just a very good artist to a legendary one.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:59 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

Patsy was different. Hank was a totally different type of artist.
What is perfect for one artist may not be right for another.

So, that crappy Nashville sound as you call it, that Elvis used, and Patsy's long line of hit records like, "I fall to pieces",
"Crazy", "Sweet Dreams", "She's got you", and a bunch of others was just terrible huh?

fyi, Patsy is remembered for her 1960's recordings, not her earlier 1950's ones.

the 1950s recordings are very good, but they were not iconic like her later recordings were, and they were
what lifted her from just a very good artist to a legendary one.

Fair points.

This all comes down to personal taste, I suppose.

For me, personally, real country music died once the 50s were over and the "crappy Nashville Sound" moved in. For me "real country music" is before the Nashville Sound". That's my taste in Country music.

I love the country music before rock'n'roll hit the scene in a big way in 1956. As we all know, r'n'r virtually killed the "real country music" in the sense that the country artists at the time had to change their sound if they wanted to sell more records because the older style sounded "dated".

No doubt had Hank lived he would have probably gone through the same procedure...the old Hank Williams would have been gone as more cheesy instruments would have been added. But would the new sound have worked for Hank had he lived? We will never know. But what I do know is after Hank died his music was fucked about with in the 60s when they murdered his recordings by adding extra instrumentation to make it sound updated. Hanks music didn't need that the originals are ok as they are.

As for Pasty Cline I've never really rated her: before the Nashville Sound or after it. She did very well for herself as a "Nashville Sound" country artist, that's without doubt. To me, songs like "Crazy" is just cheeseball country pop fluff - that sort of stuff just isn't for me. But obviously she did well out of it.

As for your comment about Elvis using the "Nashville Sound" that's when his music started to get worse. But his best recordings, the 50s stuff, Elvis Is Back, Something For Everybody, From Elvis In Memphis have no Nashville Sound to them just well crafted songs.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:00 am

Mojo Filter wrote:...All Country artists were at there best before the crappy "Nashville Sound" arrived to murder their music...

"Murder their music" ?

Didn't you mean "Improved the commerciality of their music & made big names of many of them" ?
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:23 am

Colin B wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:...All Country artists were at there best before the crappy "Nashville Sound" arrived to murder their music...

"Murder their music" ?

Didn't you mean "Improved the commerciality of their music & made big names of many of them" ?

The older country artists (before the Nashville Sound) were big names long before...these are the ones I'm mainly referring to.

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:17 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:The older country artists (before the Nashville Sound) were big names long before...these are the ones I'm mainly referring to.

Well there's 'Big' & 'Big' & 'Big' !
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:39 pm

Oh, the promise of crossover ! :)

Return to “Off Topic”