Jeffrey Epstein ex-girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell charged in US

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

John

Re: Jeffrey Epstein ex-girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell charged in US

Postby John » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:13 pm

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:Seriously, we don't need Labour.
Just keep them away from everything.
Corbyn was an idiot, and Starmer is a nincompoop.

You're just looking at personalities.

Have you forgotten how the last Labour government had 11-plus years of low inflation, low unemployment, high growth, low interest rates, low child poverty, record investment in the NHS...... [the list goes on].

And it didn't need austerity & food banks to achieve that !

OK, Tony Blair dropped the ball when it came to Iraq, but the domestic situation, monitored by Gordon Brown as chancellor of the exchequer, did a marvellous job !
Yeah, then he sold the gold reserves!
These achievements have been airbrushed out of the picture by the right-wing media, who have demonised both men.

For years the Tories kept on about the mess they 'inherited from Labour' - craftily neglecting to mention the world-wide recession [thanks to the US] in 2008, which preceded Labour's failure in the 2010 general election.

Like you, I've lived through it all. I voted for Labour once, big mistake.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:52 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:Yeah OK but what about the present, Colin ?
In this Co-vid 19 era we're living in, what are Labour party policies such as to the unemployed, homeless and the industries and will they put aside party politics and offer bipartisan support to the government?

They support the current government when it gets things right - just doesn't happen too often.

The main task of the opposition is to challenge the government & hold it to task when necessary.

The last Labour manifesto dealt with all the points you raise, albeit having been written pre-virus...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:57 pm

John wrote:Like you, I've lived through it all.
I voted for Labour once, big mistake.

Why ?

I've listed all their many achievements during their last 11-year+ spell in government.

Not forgetting that they introduced the NHS when in power after WW2.

You'll have to give some examples to support your 'big mistake' claim...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:18 pm

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:Like you, I've lived through it all.
I voted for Labour once, big mistake.

Why ?

I've listed all their many achievements during their last 11-year+ spell in government.

Not forgetting that they introduced the NHS when in power after WW2.
That's a good thing, the only one.
You'll have to give some examples to support your 'big mistake' claim...

Really? I voted the year Blair got in. I was fooled by him. I'm still alive. Dozens of soldiers lost their lives. I'd say that was a pretty big mistake.
Then how about this?
https://londonlovesbusiness.com/5-debac ... ogise-for/

Type in Labour's mistakes on Google, you'll be there for hours.

You also said it's not about the personalities. How about competence then? Seriously, Corbyn and Abbott were a disaster. If one is going to vote for a political party, one has to take the personalities into account.

How about their anti Semitism?

How about their lack of clear policies regarding Brexit?

The Labour party just automatically oppose everything the Tories put forward.

I watched Starmer on TV the other day smugly saying children have to go back to school in September. The way he expressed it was as if this was his idea and that the Tory party weren't doing anything to make it happen. Hello! It has already been mooted by the Tories who were still crossing T's and dotting Is and in fact was announced later the same day by the Tories. Something this major isn't something that happens overnight, it took a lot of planning and co-coordinating. Does he really think that the Tories hadn't been trying to make it happen. Personally I still think there may be a problem in September, but they have to start somewhere.

There was a photo in the press of Starmer taking the knee, in his office, in support of BLM. Talk about taking the piss. Who arranged for that to happen? Staged? Oh yes!

Starmer.jpg

The Tories do come in for some criticism from me. For example, they were late going into lockdown. I think the majority of the public wanted it to happen at least a couple of weeks earlier. You only had to look at what was happening in other parts of the world to realise this was serious. I also think they have come out of if too early, certainly as far as the pubs are concerned.

I think Theresa May should have been stronger but I also think she had a hard time getting the party behind her.

I think Boris is a buffoon, but I'd sooner him lead the Tories in preference to anyone else. He does get things done.

Do me a favour Colin, we'll never agree so there's no point arguing your case for Labour. I think they are a complete shower of shit and no doubt you think the same of the Tories. So be it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:13 pm

back to the core of the topic, some more details have surfaced re. Ms MAXWELL'S arrest. 20 armed guards, would you believe!!!

Ghislaine Maxwell to appear in court as fresh details of arrest emerge

More than 20 armed officers said to have taken part in raid leading to her detention at rural New Hampshire retreat

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... est-emerge

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:21 pm

This from The Australian:

Tears of joy from Epstein’s Aussie victim Virginia Roberts Giuffre as FBI finally catches Maxwell

Virginia Roberts Giuffre “cried tears of joy” in the cool night air above the Atherton Tablelands in far north Queensland when her American lawyer rang with the news that Ghislaine Maxwell had been arrested.

She had waited years for justice to reach the British socialite, who is alleged to have procured her and many other young girls for the late US billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein and his powerful friends, including Prince Andrew.

Nothing, not even last year’s arrest and purported New York City watch-house suicide of ­Epstein — who had abused a teenage Ms Giuffre — could make her happier than Ms Maxwell’s arrest by US authorities.

Ms Giuffre has accused Ms Maxwell, 59, and Epstein of forcing her, as a 17 year-old, to have sex with Prince Andrew — a claim he denied in a now infamous BBC ­interview last year that led to him abandoning his public duties.

“When I got the call I was elated, crying tears of joy, laughing … finally we got her,’’ she told The Weekend Australian after returning to her Cairns home from a brief holiday with her husband, Robert, and their three kids.

“It felt even better than when Jeffrey got arrested … he was a pedophile, they cannot be cured. They either belong in jail or six feet under. Ghislaine, on the other hand, is an evil monster.

“This woman found me, groomed me, abused me and handed me over to Jeffrey and his friends.’’

Ms Maxwell, the daughter of disgraced British media mogul and fraudster Robert Maxwell, faces 35 years in jail after police raided her remote retreat in New Hampshire, taking her into custody and laying multiple charges of procuring girls as young as 14.

The arrest has turned up the pressure on Prince Andrew, who Ms Giuffre says she was ordered to have sex with three times in 2001, including at an orgy involving ­underage girls on Epstein’s private island in the US Virgin Islands.

After Ms Maxwell’s arrest, the Acting US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, Audrey Strauss, said prosecutors wanted to talk to the Duke of York.

“I will say we would welcome Prince Andrew coming in to talk to us. We would like to have the benefit of his statement,” Ms Strauss said.

The Duke has so far refused to give evidence about his relationship with Epstein, despite the US Department of Justice formally requesting that the British Home Office question him.

His lawyers said he was “bewildered” by the claim he had not ­­co-operated with the investigation.

“We have twice communicated with the DOJ in the last month and to date we have had no response,” the Duke’s lawyers said.

Prince Andrew has said that he and Epstein met in 1999 after Ms Maxwell introduced them.

Now 36, and recovering from a bout of viral meningitis and a ­spinal injury after she fell while sick, Ms Giuffre pleaded for Prince Andrew to “tell the truth” and co-operate with the US authorities.

She said Prince Andrew had shown the world “he is a liar” during the BBC interview, disputing her claim he was “dripping from sweat” as they danced in London’s Tramp nightclub in 2001.

The second son of the Queen claimed it couldn’t possibly be true because at that time in his life he was unable to sweat.

“Obviously Prince Andrew is a liar,’’ Ms Giuffre said. “I think 99.9 per cent of the population took that out from the interview.

“He knows what he has done. The lies, after lies, after lies were just incredulous — he sounded like a buffoon.

“He is going to go to jail. He has already lost so much but that is not enough. Justice has to prevail. He has to be held accountable.’’

Ms Giuffre said it was “now only the beginning” and that Ms Maxwell might finally lift the lid on the extent of the sex trafficking and sex abuse racket that was overseen by Epstein.

“Maybe she will squeal and turn other people over, which is obviously what we hope because we want the truth out. Or maybe she will stay quiet and do her time in jail,’’ she said.

“These people did a lot of damage to a lot of other people’s lives. We are not just talking about Tom, Dick and Jane down the street — we are talking about billionaires, the people that run the world.’’

Ms Giuffre said it was Ms Maxwell, who first spotted her as a 16-year-old working her first job as a spa attendant at Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.

She said Ms Maxwell, who was Epstein’s girlfriend, began talking to her, asking about her ambitions to become a massage therapist.

“This woman came off like Mary Poppins, like this really genuine nice lady, nicely dressed who wanted to help people get ­further in life,’’ she said.

“She said ‘Oh, I know this guy looking for a massage therapist, you’ll travel the world and make lots of money’.’’

Her childhood had been tough. She had lived on the streets and been sexually abused, and she put her trust in Ms Maxwell, hoping for an education and a better life.

“The abuse started immediately,’’ Ms Giuffre said, including mental, physical and sexual abuse by Ms Maxwell – but she felt trapped and terrified.

“I knew in my heart this was wrong but when you are stuck with these kind of really rich people, you don’t know how to say no to them,’’ she said.

“It is a scary process, especially when they tell you they own the Palm Beach Police Department (in Florida).’’

Ms Giuffre said Epstein’s friends included Donald Trump.

“I met Trump, but I have never seen him doing anything towards me or towards any other victim of Jeffrey Epstein,” she said. “I can’t comment on what I don’t know.”

But Ms Giuffre said Mr Trump may have had some suspicions after a decades-old New York magazine profile emerged, quoting him as saying: “I’ve known Jeff for 15 years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side.”

Ms Giuffre said she now hoped Mr Trump would introduce “stringent laws in America towards people who do this.’’

She said she was now focused on her not-for-profit organisation Victims Refuse Silence to help the victims of abuse.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/ ... 67c20afecf

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:27 pm

Aaahhh scumbag control freak lady. They should lock her up and throw away the keys.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:04 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:Aaahhh scumbag control freak lady.
They should lock her up and throw away the keys.

Do you mean Virginia Roberts Giuffre or Ghislaine Maxwell ?
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:19 pm

Colin B wrote:

Maxwell. It would be difficult not to believe Ms Roberts Giuffre.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:30 pm

Colin B wrote:Do you mean Virginia Roberts Giuffre or Ghislaine Maxwell ?
WalterHaleJnr wrote:Maxwell.
It would be difficult not to believe Ms Roberts Giuffre.

Agreed !

"Come in Prince Andrew, Duke of York, KG, GCVO, CD, ADC (Andrew Albert Christian Edward)

Your time is up !"
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:31 pm

Colin B wrote:

Colin , I have started re-working my prior 'Then and Now' topics so as to streamline as many as i can do in one super topic (hence the Then and Now Classic Films Appreciation Topic new title.

I am taking other members into consideration too so everyone can put up any topic they would like to do and not have 10-20 Walter topics dominate the 'off topics' section.

Can i get you to move other topics such as 'Double Indemnity', 'Duel' and 'Rebel Without a Cause' in what should have been one topic, please sir? :lol: Certainly easy to be wise after an event ain't it :D

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:32 pm

Ill start the ball rolling and click the report button AYE.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:41 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:Colin , I have started re-working my prior 'Then and Now' topics so as to streamline as many as i can do in one super topic (hence the Then and Now Classic Films Appreciation Topic new title.

I am taking other members into consideration too so everyone can put up any topic they would like to do and not have 10-20 Walter topics dominate the 'off topics' section.

Can i get you to move other topics such as 'Double Indemnity', 'Duel' and 'Rebel Without a Cause' in what should have been one topic, please sir? :lol:
Certainly easy to be wise after an event ain't it :D

Done !
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:12 pm

"Maxwell, Epstein, power and money: it's time to do away with the super elite"

written by Nathan Robinson, The Guardian online

This sad, sorry criminal case is in part what happens when a small class of people is allowed to behave however it likes:

Ghislaine Maxwell now sits in a jail cell, after having been denied bail on charges of sexually trafficking minors. Maxwell is alleged to have recruited underage girls for the billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, and also to have engaged in acts of abuse herself. In one respect, the Maxwell/Epstein story is bizarre and unusual. It’s hard to think of any contemporary story of criminal misconduct comparable to that of Epstein, who reportedly wanted to inseminate dozens of women to “seed the human race with his DNA”. It’s also, however, a story about what happens when a small class of people is allowed to behave however they like without any constraints.

Jill Filipovic wonders at Maxwell’s behavior. What could possibly have been her motivation? She was a wealthy, Oxford-educated socialite. Why would she want to spend her time allegedly recruiting a stream of underage girls for an older man to abuse? Well, anybody can be evil and commit horrific crimes. But people’s crimes often make more sense when we understand their context. Maxwell had lived, from birth, in a world where the powerful freely exploited and abused others. She grew up in a 53-room mansion, the daughter of Robert Maxwell, an infamous publishing tycoon. Maxwell was described by those who knew him as “terrifying” and a “dictator”, a man with “a fundamental dishonesty about everything he said and did”. He died mysteriously at sea in 1991, having fallen from his yacht, Lady Ghislaine. After his death, Robert Maxwell was discovered to have committed massive fraud and theft, having raided and ransacked his employees’ pension fund (a crime that affects retirees to this day).

Ghislaine Maxwell became associated with Epstein soon after her father’s death. Epstein moved in the country’s most elite circles, with associates including Bill Clinton, Donald Trump, Alan Dershowitz, Prince Andrew and Steven Pinker. Maxwell attended Chelsea Clinton’s wedding, and “had a massive Rolodex of influential people”. Epstein built “a 21,000 sq ft mansion on a 10,000-acre ranch in New Mexico which he boasted made his New York townhouse ‘look like a shack’”, in addition to his Palm Beach mansion, plus his 72-acre “island of sin” in the Virgin Islands and “an 8,600 sq ft home in Paris, which is said to have featured a specially built massage room”.

According to a thorough recent profile in Vanity Fair, Maxwell was reportedly put in charge of managing Epstein’s affairs, “organizing armies of staff in the various locations, coordinating everything”, including obtaining minors for him to sexually violate. She was reportedly “almost as demanding and bombastic as her father” had been, “call[ing] people her minion, piglet, polyp … [s]o you felt like you were nothing”.

Epstein in turn was a screamer who would make Maxwell cry when she displeased him. Maxwell reportedly ran a whole network of sub-recruiters, who “were allegedly told to target young, financially desperate women”. The whole process recalls the Marquis de Sade’s disturbing 120 Days of Sodom, in which a group of decadent aristocrats in a castle kidnap and abuse dozens of teenagers.

It should be obvious to anyone that abuse is enabled by the possession of power and wealth. Harvey Weinstein was able to commit rape and assault because he was in charge of a production studio, and he could make or break people (and could afford to hire ex-Israeli intelligence officials to dig up dirt on any who crossed him). Bill Cosby was one of the richest and most famous comedians in the world. Bill O’Reilly was the top anchor on Fox News. Donald Trump admitted that when he was in charge of the Miss Universe pageant, he used to deliberately walk in on teenage girls changing so he could ogle them. “I’m allowed to because I’m the owner,” he said. Far from trying to stop him, Miss Universe employees encouraged the girls to lavish physical affection on Trump when he showed up.

The world of the global super-wealthy is a world in which there is almost no accountability, because the people in it have such tremendous capacity to hurt or reward others. Even after Epstein’s original criminal conviction, he was not shunned by prestigious institutions like MIT, because he had a mountain of money. It would be a mistake, then, to see Maxwell as nothing more than some uniquely disturbed person. She was nourished by a culture where there is no incentive not to do whatever the hell you want, regardless of its effects on the vulnerable. We should be careful to remember that putting Ghislaine Maxwell in prison will not change that culture.

With the conviction of Weinstein, it does seem as if there is a trend in the direction of “not tolerating sex crimes as normal and defensible”. But ultimately, the way to prevent the powerful elite from abusing people is to not have a powerful elite at all. Epstein – and allegedly Maxwell – could do what they did, and get away with it for so long, because they had wealth and knew people. They chose teens who were financially desperate. Eliminating the existence of financial despair and extreme wealth concentration is thus an important part of making sure there are no more Epsteins and Maxwells.

It should be stressed that Ghislaine Maxwell is innocent until proven guilty under the law, and that the United States criminal punishment system can be deeply unfair. Maxwell has been transported to the Metropolitan detention center in Brooklyn, an infamous facility that left inmates without power or heat for days in the winter earlier this year, and has had a Covid-19 outbreak. One does not wish to lapse into schadenfreude about this: nobody deserves America’s prison system.

But of course, there’s still a good chance Maxwell will evade punishment. Epstein himself originally got what was essentially a slap on the wrist after abusing scores of girls, because he was rich and influential and the quality of a person’s defense representation depends on how much money they have. (One way to make the punishment system more egalitarian would be to ban private counsel, so that everyone had to to use the public defender’s office.)

Maxwell has already been able to evade the law for much longer than anyone with less wealth and fewer social connections. But whether she ultimately walks or not, let us be careful not to focus excessively on Maxwell’s individual pathologies. We must also understand the social and economic milieu that made her alleged actions possible.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:16 pm

It's simple. Just lock her up and throw away the keys I tell ya (same with the Minessotta officers). Plus Ms Maxwell according to a friend, will not be spilling the beans on Andrew. By doing so, that'll serve as a warning for the future to any wealthy folks who believes they can do anything they want with the young females as they please.

Return to “Off Topic”