Get Well Ken...

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Re: Get Well Ken...

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:29 pm

Good to see this is now a sticky. I did post and got a immediate response from Ken over at the other place and he sends his thanks to his Phoenix friends.

Walter Hale 4 wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:19 pm
Ken,

Greetings from AU.

The fellas over at PHOENIX and myself we're all thinking of and wishing you the best on your forthcoming Op and also fast recovery thereafter.

Cheers,

WALTER the 4th

Cheers Rob,its just a waiting game now,until the UK lockdown is over in early Dec.Send my best to the guys and girls over there!

-instagram kenh1964

Juan Luis

Postby Juan Luis » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:52 am

Best wishes, Ken.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:21 pm

Goodness Ken, you are a wonderful fighter, we are looking forward to your full recovery.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:31 am

Update by keninlincs » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:01 pm

I had a preop appointment yesterday 1st of December with my Oncologist and the Surgeon and i am having the operation to remove my oesophagus and part of my stomach on Thursday December 10th ,it will be a 9 hour plus operation and i will be in intensive care for a week and then a further week in hospital resting,they are hoping to discharge me on Christmas eve or sooner if recovery goes well.The operation involves puncturing the lungs to get them out of the way of the oesophagus so they can remove the botton 90% and then move the stomach up into the chest to make a new oesophagus that joins the piece of the old one that is remaining ,so i will need to have some physiotherapy before they allow me home.Be glad to get it done so i can get back home and get back to some level of fitness and normality.
The doctors say it can take around 18 months to fully recover from the oesophagectomy.
I am aiming to be back in the gym by Feb 2021!

John

Postby John » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:33 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:Update by keninlincs » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:01 pm

I had a preop appointment yesterday 1st of December with my Oncologist and the Surgeon and i am having the operation to remove my oesophagus and part of my stomach on Thursday December 10th ,it will be a 9 hour plus operation and i will be in intensive care for a week and then a further week in hospital resting,they are hoping to discharge me on Christmas eve or sooner if recovery goes well.The operation involves puncturing the lungs to get them out of the way of the oesophagus so they can remove the botton 90% and then move the stomach up into the chest to make a new oesophagus that joins the piece of the old one that is remaining ,so i will need to have some physiotherapy before they allow me home.Be glad to get it done so i can get back home and get back to some level of fitness and normality.
The doctors say it can take around 18 months to fully recover from the oesophagectomy.

Good luck Ken, we're rooting for you.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:35 am

Great to see your positive attitude, Ken !

That will be an asset in your post-op period !

Best wishes !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:36 am

John wrote:

Good luck Ken, we're rooting for you.

I'll let him know.

file.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:59 pm

Best wishes, Ken.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:38 am

Wow, Ken.

I, too, can hear the gym calling for you ;)

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:30 pm

Today is the day of Ken's long operation.

Going by U.K. time , His surgery has been completed and should be in the recovery room right about now!

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:41 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:Today is the day of Ken's long operation.

Going by U.K. time , His surgery has been completed and should be in the recovery room right about now!

Hope he's doing fine !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:42 pm

Ken's made it. Great new this is.

I'll add his post from instagram here (which i not done before).

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:20 am

from ken's instagram account:

kenh1964

Castle Hill Hospital

kenh1964
I'm Back,six days after a 9+hour surgery that removed most of my oesophagus some my stomach and some of my pancreas.sat in a chair o intensive care unit enjoying a well deserved coffee.Hopefully go recovery ward tomorrow for 10 days or so.
#on the road to recovery
#HesBack

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:55 am

Ken has since posted a more detailed post over the other place:

keninlincs » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:37 am

Well here the update i am very happy to make!
My operation went ahead as scheduled and they were able to perform with smaller incisions than expected they cut through the middle of my abdomen and did a bit of renconfiguration to the bag like part of the stomach. Then most of the oesphagus approx 8 inches and some of my pancreas were removed to make room for new Oesophagus.
The right hand lung was punctured and a temporary conection was made to maintain a blood supply ..The adomen was stitched up.
I was then moved onto my side and put onto a respirator and other lung was collapsed.and 3 ribs were broken to ruduce bigger operation scarr
Then the surgeon sewed the new oesophagus in place and made the full blood supply into
a full connecion.2 chest drains and four lung drains.The operation was finised io hours and 40 minutes
I started to wake up in the recovery room and recall being taken to the intensive care unit i then slept on and off through the night .On the friday i was awake and aware of my surroundings and quite ok regarding the pain sometime in the late afternoon i was awoken by my surgeon who told me the procedure was successfull and he wanted to get ouf bed for a hour which would help speed up my recovery,i spept for most of Saturday and Sunday with three hours out of bed both days .
On monday and tuesday i started to feel less zones and and a bit more lively.
On Wednesday i had a swallow test where i had to swallow a metallic drink and have if video on its journey through my new gullet and the results were perfect i went back to ICU to await results of a further CT scan The results of the scan were perfect again and i was told my feeding tube be removed and i was told i could try a hot drink and some biscuits/cookies
I am still in the ICU and think i will be sent to the special recovery ward on 17TH December a week after the op. It will be hàrd work getting mysefy back to my old self
Thanks again for all of your support

-instagram kenh1964

ken.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jbgude

Postby jbgude » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:12 am

Yep, just read that Ken is on the road to recovery ! Some good news, that brought a smile to my face, after a while. All the best Ken !

Return to “Off Topic”