D. O. A. 1949 HD (Drama, Film Noir) Starring Edmond O'Brien , Pamela Britton.

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

D. O. A. 1949 HD (Drama, Film Noir) Starring Edmond O'Brien , Pamela Britton.

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:59 am

hey look at here :lol:

The film noir D.O.A is available in HD for viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6fxPaFxNYo

Mister Moon

Re: D. O. A. 1949 HD (Drama, Film Noir) Starring Edmond O'Brien , Pamela Britton.

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:30 am

That's a great movie. And, what's more, it has a slight Elvis connection.

There's a scene where the action goes inside a night club, and we can see several musicians playing. One of those musicians is bass player John "Shifty" Henry, whose name is mentioned in the lyrics of "Jailhouse Rock" :

Shifty Henry DOA.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shifty_Henry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John

Re: D. O. A. 1949 HD (Drama, Film Noir) Starring Edmond O'Brien , Pamela Britton.

Postby John » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:21 pm

Mister Moon wrote:That's a great movie. And, what's more, it has a slight Elvis connection.

There's a scene where the action goes inside a night club, and we can see several musicians playing. One of those musicians is bass player John "Shifty" Henry, whose name is mentioned in the lyrics of "Jailhouse Rock" :

That's interesting. So did Leiber and Stoller knowingly use his name?

What happened to Spider Murphy and Little Joe and the drummer boy from Illinois?

Did Bugsy and Sad Sack ever get out?

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:26 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:That's a great movie. And, what's more, it has a slight Elvis connection.

That's interesting. So did Leiber and Stoller knowingly use his name?

What happened to Spider Murphy and Little Joe and the drummer boy from Illinois?

Did Bugsy and Sad Sack ever get out?

Yes, most of those were real-life characters. "Shifty" Henry worked around the West Coast area, as explained in the above link, so it's not surprising they were familiar with him.

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:09 pm

John and Mister Moon.

What do you say if we have a separate 'Old Times They Are No Forgotten' section filled with these relics, interviews, 'then and now' vid's, Any sporting and Olympic highlight reels, celeb pictures ?

John

Postby John » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:34 pm

Damn. That's 1:23:24 gone. I was going to do lots of chores....

It's all a bit convoluted, and the whistle effect every time he saw a pretty woman was a bit silly. There's lots of overacting.

One Elvis connection that I spotted, although some years before he became a connection, was Neville Brand as a baddie.

Shifty Henry and the band were good.

John

Postby John » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:49 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:John and Mister Moon.

What do you say if we have a separate 'Old Times They Are No Forgotten' section filled with these relics, interviews, 'then and now' vid's, Any sporting and Olympic highlight reels, celeb pictures ?

Are you going to stick around Walter? I could give you your own section. I'm sure others would participate.

Old Times They Are Not Forgotten
"Walts Schmaltz" = excessive sentimentality, especially in music or films. That sounds right, don't you think?

Mister Moon is not part of the admin team. You'd have to ask Colin and Ben.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:56 pm

John wrote:Shifty Henry and the band were good.

The tenor sax player is James Von Streeter, another West Coast musician who did some records under his own name, and also many as a sideman, with Johnny Otis, for example :

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1249203/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:05 pm

John wrote:

Are you going to stick around Walter? no i doubt it if i will be as my health and eyesight tends to go up and down post- hearts surgery. But it really comes down to if there is enough interest by other members while i can drop in every now and then. I could give you your own section. I'm sure others would participate.

"Walts Schmaltz" = excessive sentimentality, especially in music or films. That sounds right, don't you think? :)

Topic author
WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:07 pm

John wrote:

Are you going to stick around Walter? I could give you your own section. I'm sure others would participate.

"Walts Schmaltz" = excessive sentimentality, especially in music or films. That sounds right, don't you think?

did you see my new quiz on the westerns?

John

Postby John » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:24 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:
John wrote:

did you see my new quiz on the westerns?

Yup, not participated yet.

Return to “Off Topic”