coronavirus

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Mountain Mist

Re: coronavirus

Postby Mountain Mist » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:08 pm

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:Tha poker game using toilet rolls instead of cash was funny !
What was the toilet roll holder in the glass all about ?
Mountain Mist wrote:The joke is a take off on growing an avocado tree from a seed, which relates to growing toilet paper from a "seed".

A few seconds of video will give you an idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk4cmvp44ss

Easy :D

Right, thanks !

My knowledge of growing an avocado tree from a seed was very limited, or perhaps non-existent...

...until now !

You are very welcome, one never knows when one needs to know ;)

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:42 am

Colin B wrote:Had to smile reading this from Oz:

Margaret Court - Church.JPG

She claims the 'blood of Jesus' is so powerful that it will protect her congregation from Coronavirus.

So why the sanitiser ?

I did not know that Margaret Court has her own church, as I have not ever bothered to read or listen to any news of her, as anything shared seemed to be full of drama, so I turned off.

Should Margaret Court’s Name Be Removed from an Arena at the Australian Open?

24th January, 2019

The controversy concerns the views that Margaret Court voiced after she put down her tennis racquet. She has spent years loudly espousing anti-gay views and has shown no signs, as times have changed, of altering or even softening them. The question of the naming controversy, in essence, boils down to this: Has the public’s sense of Margaret Court as a tennis legend been overtaken by a different identity, that of an anti-gay zealot? Does the name “Margaret Court,” even affixed to a tennis arena, no longer mostly call to mind a great athlete but rather a relentless, hurtful bigot?

Court cites scripture as the source of her views. She came to her particular faith, she has said, while attending Bible school, in 1982, five years after she retired from tennis. She has said that it got her through post-partum depression, and she believes that it cured some heart trouble she was having. Soon after, she founded a Pentecostal church of her own, in Perth, and began making her Biblically attributed denunciations of gays and lesbians.

https://www.newyorker.com/sports/sporti ... aret-court
Now, I know why....

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:53 am

Colin B wrote:That's a funny video, Mountain Mist !

But sneezing isn't a symptom of Coronavirus !

These are:

Dry cough.

High temperature.

Difficulty breathing.

At the moment, my family & I are free from these...

Also blood groups are being thrown around as another connection in a non published, preliminary study. If people are A + they MAY be more likely, at this stage, to be hospitalised.

Is blood group A hit the hardest?

The researchers looked at blood group distribution among 2,173 individuals admitted to hospitals with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus. The people each received care at one of three hospitals in Wuhan, China, or Shenzhen.

The team then compared the patients’ blood group distribution to that of a group representative of the general population — totaling 3,694 people — in Wuhan.

The researchers found that the proportion of people with blood type A was significantly higher among the group hospitalized with COVID-19 than among the general population.

They also found that the proportion of people with blood type O was significantly lower among the group with COVID-19 than among the general population.

Based on these findings, co-first study author Jiao Zhao and colleagues report that “People with blood group A have a significantly higher risk for acquiring COVID-19, compared with non-A blood groups, whereas blood group O has a significantly lower risk for the infection, compared with non-O blood groups.”

It is important to stress, however, that the researchers refer to the risk of needing hospitalization because of COVID-19, rather than the risk of contracting the virus that can lead to the disease.

This is because the team only looked at data from individuals whose symptoms were severe enough to require hospitalization, not those with mild symptoms that responded to home care.

‘Conclusion might be purely coincidental’
But does this really mean that people with type A blood have added cause for concern, while those with type O can exhale in relief?

Experts not involved with the research have commented on the findings, explaining that the study does not demonstrate a causal relationship between blood type and susceptibility to being hospitalized with COVID-19.

Sakthi Vaiyapuri, Ph.D., an associate professor of cardiovascular and venom pharmacology at the University of Reading, in the United Kingdom, emphasizes that people with type A blood should not worry because of this preliminary study’s results.

“There is little evidence to substantiate any claim that there [is] any more than a coincidental correlation between blood group ABO and susceptibility of contracting COVID-19,” he says.

“There are far too many parameters that cast doubt over the credibility of [the researchers’] claims, which — worse still — are not mentioned in a non-peer reviewed preprint study,” Vaiyapuri cautions.

“Without establishing causal links between [the coronavirus] and ABO blood group antigens, it’s difficult to understand this conclusion, which might be purely coincidental. Importantly, people should not panic about these results, as, clearly, further scientific research is required to substantiate these claims.”

– Sakthi Vaiyapuri, Ph.D.

Moreover, the current study, which included data only from very specific populations in China, did not account for some confounding factors, such as that blood group distribution varies by country.

However, if further research confirms the study’s findings, they could help medical professionals identify people most at risk of requiring hospitalization due to infection with the new virus.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... id-19-risk

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:06 am

Matt Helm wrote:Beside of all this SILLY Jokes and DAILY Nerve-breaking News:
PLEASE STAY HEALTHY and stay at your home, for yourself and your love ones...everyone has responsibility; PLEASE :!: Love&Peace, Matt

Ohh Matt, for me, I have found that Humour is necessary, it keeps the body functioning properly, it is also a fabulous coping mechanism, so one can "just get on with it" and keep going; along, with keeping busy. Some of those who went through Wars and The Great Depression, tried it, and liked it ;)

I wish for you to stay healthy.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:59 am

How the Coronavirus is affecting my family:

Both my son & my son-in-law are working fairly normally.

Daughter-in-law is working from home.

Grandson Sam, who works on the Thames Barrier, has been sent home for an unspecified period as he is in an 'at risk' category [diabetic].

He's on full pay.

Granddaughter Jodie is away at uni, but it's closed at the moment.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

picturefan

Postby picturefan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:46 am

So it looks pretty good for your family.

gerry

Postby gerry » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:36 am

picturefan wrote:So it looks pretty good for your family.

Looking at your avatar pic just re-saying that i find it just increible how Elvis' face changed as well as his voice.

Im talking about the not just the maxilla length facial structure everything else including skin etc from say 1954 to that pic from Frankie and Johnny.

And then theres the voice and how much that changed.

Elvis was a one off that's for sure.

Anyway back on topic....

Scarmongering COVID-19 videos on net now.

John

Postby John » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:07 am

gerry wrote:
picturefan wrote:So it looks pretty good for your family.

Looking at your avatar pic just re-saying that i find it just increible how Elvis' face changed as well as his voice.

Im talking about the not just the maxilla length facial structure everything else including skin etc from say 1954 to that pic from Frankie and Johnny.

And then theres the voice and how much that changed.

Elvis was a one off that's for sure.

Anyway back on topic....

Scarmongering COVID-19 videos on net now.

The message is very clear.

Stay indoors or stay away. Keep your distance.

Go out and you could catch it, get ill and possibly die.

Or you could pass it on on to someone else who could get ill and possibly die.

Or they will catch it, pass it on to someone who could get ill and possibly die.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:42 pm

John wrote:The message is very clear.

Stay indoors or stay away. Keep your distance.

Go out and you could catch it, get ill and possibly die.

Or you could pass it on on to someone else who could get ill and possibly die.

Or they will catch it, pass it on to someone who could get ill and possibly die.

'Self-isolation' is tough.

I'm doing something more like 'social distancing'.

Only venturing out for essential food buying.

At the checkouts in Tescos there is chevronned tape on the floor, marking the area where only a single shopper can stand when
having their shopping rung through !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Matt Helm

Postby Matt Helm » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:33 pm

John wrote:
Matt Helm wrote:Beside of all this SILLY Jokes and DAILY Nerve-breaking News:
PLEASE STAY HEALTHY and stay at your home, for yourself and your love ones...everyone has responsibility; PLEASE :!: Love&Peace, Matt

You too Matt, take great care with your health.

Thx pal, i sure really do, please keep yourself, family and loveones safe buddy; Peace&Love Matt

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:05 pm

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

athletic_forever

Postby athletic_forever » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:48 pm

Coronavirus is hitting hard in my country, Spain, with close to 2,000 deaths now! All confined at home until April 12th at least... and only basic services open, like supermarkets and pharmacies.

Time is tough at work, trying to put in place tele-work, but only around 30% of the usual activity, and working from home.

So the best thing to do is stay home and try to be safe and healthy... to me Elvis is of great help and this is one of the songs to go back time and time again, from Roustabout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbVf7Vo-2X4&feature=youtu.be

John

Postby John » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:33 pm

Hi athletic_forever, I put the link in for you.

John

Postby John » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 pm

Graceland.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

athletic_forever

Postby athletic_forever » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:10 pm

Thanks John! How on earth can you do this? Sharing the link, I mean!

Graceland closed to the public for the first time since 1982, the world is really stopping on its tracks now...

Well, to cheer things up a little bit, this is another one that I listen to when I feel down!
https://youtu.be/WoqVFEE1UBY

Return to “Off Topic”