"Discovering Carl Perkins - Eastview, Tennessee 1952 - 53"

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

John

Re: "Discovering Carl Perkins - Eastview, Tennessee 1952 - 53"

Postby John » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:22 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
skabillyrebels wrote:Hi Mister Moon
buddy holly on FECC Got The Carl Perkins - 1952 - 53 vinyl last Thursday any news on yours yet

Not yet. Maybe tomorrow. :)

Well?

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:31 am

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
buddy holly on FECC Got The Carl Perkins - 1952 - 53 vinyl last Thursday any news on yours yet

Well?

According to the tracking link, the parcel is not lost, but it's evidently a very slow service. I still hope it will arrive this week.

John

Postby John » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:24 am

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Well?

According to the tracking link, the parcel is not lost, but it's evidently a very slow service. I still hope it will arrive this week.

I hope it will arrive today. I can't stand the tension.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:08 am

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Well?

Have you ever bought off Bob Thomas of Bim Bam Records? His service is quite good.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:20 am

It's here folks !

More tonight, I must leave now.

Early Perkins a.jpg

Mojo Filter wrote:Have you ever bought off Bob Thomas of Bim Bam Records? His service is quite good.

Not BFs fault. The local postal service is terrible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:42 pm

i am happy that it finally arrived look forward to your review
"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

John

Postby John » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:51 pm

I can breathe easy now.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:39 pm

More images.

Just give me some to listen properly to the music :

Early Perkins b.jpg

Early Perkins c.jpg

Early Perkins d.jpg

Early Perkins e.jpg

Early Perkins f.jpg

Early Perkins g.jpg

Early Perkins h.jpg

Early Perkins i.jpg

Early Perkins j.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John

Postby John » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:52 pm

Are you happy? Was it as good as you hoped?

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:05 pm

John wrote:Are you happy? Was it as good as you hoped?

Yes, it's a release that oozes quality. Well, Bear Family releases are always quality releases, but it's clear they have put all their efforts behind this one.

I've listened to the CD just once, and the sound quality of the four new tracks, although there's a permanent hiss, is extremely good.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:08 pm

A few thoughts and some obsessive data about this release :

All timings taken from CD display

9 tracks - 21:52

1 - "Good Rockin' Tonight" - 1:53 - Originally recorded by Roy Brown (De Luxe 1093) in 1947, as "Good Rocking Tonight"

2 - "There's Been A Change In Me" - 2:13 - Originally recorded by Eddy Arnold (RCA Victor 0412) in 1950

3 - "Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee" - 2:02 - Originally recorded by Stick McGhee (Harlem 1018) in 1946

4 - "Devil's Dream" - 2:49 (7 seconds false start + 2:42) - Instrumental - Traditional - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil%27s_Dream)

(10 seconds gap to separate the acetate recordings from the bonus Sun recordings)

5 - "Gone, Gone, Gone" - 3:01 - Early take of song originally issued as Sun 224 (tape defect at 1:40)

6 - "What Ya Doin' When You're Cryin'" - 2:55 - Song not originally issued by Sun

7 - "You Can't Make Love To Somebody" - 2:28 - Song not originally issued by Sun

8 - "Sure To Fall" - 2:35 - Duet with Jay Perkins - Early take of song not originally issued by Sun, but master take scheduled to be Sun 235

9 - "Perkins Wiggle" ("Dixie Bop") - 1:56 - Song not originally issued by Sun

From Bear Family's blurb on this release (see first post in this thread) :

Those records make it clear that he was far from the clueless hillbilly who had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the rockabilly revolution.

C'mon, folks at BF. Every Carl Perkins fan has always known that. His recordings at 706 Union Avenue, before and after "Blue Suede Shoes", make it quite clear.

That said, it's amazing to listen to these pre-Sun recordings - amazing that they were unknown until just recently, and amazing that they have survived to reach us well into the 21st century.

It's interesting to listen to Carl and the boys doing a version of an Eddy Arnold novelty song, or to listen to that fiddle workout, but of course the meat of this release are the two R&B covers, although not as earth-shattering as it could have been, coming from Perkins.

White artists, country and not country, had always covered R&B stuff. This is just another example. The resulting music, although close in time to the official birth of rockabilly, is light years away from The Big Beat, as personified in 1954 and 1955 by Elvis, Scotty & Bill, and by Carl Perkins himself. What we hear is closest to, for example, Hank Williams. Honky tonk music of the best kind, deeply rooted on both white and black stylings, but yet to explode. A simple comparison of Elvis' 1954 recording of "Good Rockin' Tonight" with the one we hear here tells the whole story. History is not changed.

As for the five bonus Sun recordings, three of them (tracks 5, 6 and 7) are not really making their vinyl debut as we are led to believe by the blurb. Also, track 5 retains the tape defect that was once repaired by Bob Jones. The unrepaired tape has been used yet again.

All in all, a landmark, beautifully presented, release.

I'm glad I got it. Thank you, Bear Family.

John

Postby John » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:26 pm

Mister Moon wrote:A few thoughts and some obsessive data about this release :

All timings taken from CD display

9 tracks - 21:52

1 - "Good Rockin' Tonight" - 1:53 - Originally recorded by Roy Brown (De Luxe 1093) in 1947, as "Good Rocking Tonight"

2 - "There's Been A Change In Me" - 2:13 - Originally recorded by Eddy Arnold (RCA Victor 0412) in 1950

3 - "Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee" - 2:02 - Originally recorded by Stick McGhee (Harlem 1018) in 1946

4 - "Devil's Dream" - 2:49 (7 seconds false start + 2:42) - Instrumental - Traditional - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil%27s_Dream)

(10 seconds gap to separate the acetate recordings from the bonus Sun recordings)

5 - "Gone, Gone, Gone" - 3:01 - Early take of song originally issued as Sun 224 (tape defect at 1:40)

6 - "What Ya Doin' When You're Cryin'" - 2:55 - Song not originally issued by Sun

7 - "You Can't Make Love To Somebody" - 2:28 - Song not originally issued by Sun

8 - "Sure To Fall" - 2:35 - Duet with Jay Perkins - Early take of song not originally issued by Sun, but master take scheduled to be Sun 235

9 - "Perkins Wiggle" ("Dixie Bop") - 1:56 - Song not originally issued by Sun

From Bear Family's blurb on this release (see first post in this thread) :

Those records make it clear that he was far from the clueless hillbilly who had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the rockabilly revolution.

C'mon, folks at BF. Every Carl Perkins fan has always known that. His recordings at 706 Union Avenue, before and after "Blue Suede Shoes", make it quite clear.

That said, it's amazing to listen to these pre-Sun recordings - amazing that they were unknown until just recently, and amazing that they have survived to reach us well into the 21st century.

It's interesting to listen to Carl and the boys doing a version of an Eddy Arnold novelty song, or to listen to that fiddle workout, but of course the meat of this release are the two R&B covers, although not as earth-shattering as it could have been, coming from Perkins.

White artists, country and not country, had always covered R&B stuff. This is just another example. The resulting music, although close in time to the official birth of rockabilly, is light years away from The Big Beat, as personified in 1954 and 1955 by Elvis, Scotty & Bill, and by Carl Perkins himself. What we hear is closest to, for example, Hank Williams. Honky tonk music of the best kind, deeply rooted on both white and black stylings, but yet to explode. A simple comparison of Elvis' 1954 recording of "Good Rockin' Tonight" with the one we hear here tells the whole story. History is not changed.

As for the five bonus Sun recordings, three of them (tracks 5, 6 and 7) are not really making their vinyl debut as we are led to believe by the blurb. Also, track 5 retains the tape defect that was once repaired by Bob Jones. The unrepaired tape has been used yet again.

All in all, a landmark, beautifully presented, release.

I'm glad I got it. Thank you, Bear Family.

Glad it all worked out.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:52 pm

Heres the original of "There's Been A Change In Me", and its review :

501223 CB Arnold.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK2XFzfWZJg

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:29 pm

Arnold 0412.jpg

Eddy Arnold must have been such a favourite of Perkins. His name was mentioned in "Tennessee", the song that, coupled with "Sure To Fall", was scheduled to be released as a single in 1956, but both songs were finally featured in Perkins' debut album in 1957 :

Now there are folks who like to brag about where they came from
But when they start that stuff I let 'em be
But it makes me feel like I wanna brag some
To know that I come from the state of Tennessee

Let's give old Tennessee credit for music
As they play it up in Nashville everyday
As they play it in that old Hillbilly way

Mister Red Foley came from Kentucky
Now, Ernest Tubb down in Texas, don't you see
But if all you folks out there can remember
Mister Eddy Arnold came from Tennessee

They make bombs they say, that can blow up our world, dear
Well a country boy like me, I will agree
They made the first atomic bomb in Tennessee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8bCPGy8DTM

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:57 am

Mister Moon wrote:Arnold 0412.jpg

Eddy Arnold must have been such a favourite of Perkins. His name was mentioned in "Tennessee", the song that, coupled with "Sure To Fall", was scheduled to be released as a single in 1956, but both songs were finally featured in Perkins' debut album in 1957 :

Now there are folks who like to brag about where they came from
But when they start that stuff I let 'em be
But it makes me feel like I wanna brag some
To know that I come from the state of Tennessee

As they play it up in Nashville everyday
As they play it in that old Hillbilly way

Mister Red Foley came from Kentucky
Now, Ernest Tubb down in Texas, don't you see
Mister Eddy Arnold came from Tennessee

They make bombs they say, that can blow up our world, dear
Well a country boy like me, I will agree
They made the first atomic bomb in Tennessee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8bCPGy8DTM

That old RCA label is such a cool looking mama!

I just love "Tennessee" by Carl. Shame it wasn't released as a single - would've been another beauty for the collectors of original Sun 45s.

Had "Tennessee"/"Sure To Fall" been released as a single it would have been Sun 235 which was the next one right after "Blue Suede Shoes"/"Honey Don't" Sun 234. Sun 236 was "No More, No More"/"They Call Our Love A Sin" by Jimmy Haggett. That's why when you look at a Sun discography Sun 235 is always blank and stated as "not issued".

I love playing "Tennessee" on my guitar - the two solos are cool.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Return to “Off Topic”