Topic author
John

Re: Religious stuff that creeps into other threads and moved from there

Postby John » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:27 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Colin B wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:I don't get the point of this thread.

So, every post that's about religion will be moved here ?

Well, yes, if they are seriously derailing the original thread they're on...

I still don't see the point. We always said off-topic comments were welcome on a given thread, so why this is changing now ?
It's not changing. It's a one off. It was getting too much on the original thread but it was obvious people wanted to continue with the topic. So rather than lock it, or stop it, I created this over here. Every time I thought it was new post about the '69 sessions, it turned out to be about religion. You know me, I derail a lot of threads, but this is over the top. Anyone who wants to continue with the religious topic, can do so here.
Also, derailements can happen for a number of reasons, not just religious posts. Are we going to start a section for each of those different subjects ?
No. Well, maybe if it's about ice cream, or women, or women eating ice cream.
Anyway, you know I trust how you guys run this site, but I believe this is not necessary. Just my opnion. :)
Thank you. It's not guys. I did it, I take full responsibility. It was my decision without any consultation with anyone. I believe it was necessary.

I understand now, and I agree, John.

Thanks for the explanation and sorry about the insistence.

You're welcome. Always happy to oblige.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:46 pm

Well, religion is one of Colin's favourite subjects, let's face it.

:D

Topic author
John

Postby John » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:58 pm

Mountain Mist wrote:Well, religion is one of Colin's favourite subjects, let's face it.

That's why he's a big Cliff fan.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:45 pm

Mountain Mist wrote:Well, religion is one of Colin's favourite subjects, let's face it.

John wrote:That's why he's a big Cliff fan.

People can believe what they want.

But it's the pervasive way religion creeps into all things in life that I find objectionable.

I'll argue against it at every opportunity.

God manifests himself & is present & active right up to the present day - but only in the minds of his believers.

To the rest of us, he simply doesn't exist...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:15 pm

Colin B wrote:

John wrote:That's why he's a big Cliff fan.

People can believe what they want.

But it's the pervasive way religion creeps into all things in life that I find objectionable.

I'll argue against it at every opportunity.

God manifests himself & is present & active right up to the present day - but only in the minds of his believers.

To the rest of us, he simply doesn't exist...

And here-in lies the sad fact that so people live thier whole lives centered around their religion, the bible, and the church.

(If) God doesn't exist,and bible is a fiction written by humans, those people that wrote it are the most evil to ever exist.
Because they unknowingly perpertrated the biggest hoax ever put on humans in the history of the earth.
To think of all the wars, murders, suicides, money spent, time wasted, lives lost, in the name of religion and the bible, it is very hard
to even think about it.

And so some people choose not to think about that big dissapointment and have the faith that there has to be something
after this existence.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:21 pm

Kindness, hope (something good), and happiness (the non materialistic way) at the sensory or mental level, and to be aware of karma. Happiness has to be within, as an academic subject, not a religious subject.

As per His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlUI1_J8D68
I do disagree with his Holiness' comment on sex being materialistic. ;)

Happiness has to be within.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:44 pm

Mountain Mist wrote:Kindness, hope (something good), and happiness (the non materialistic way) at the sensory or mental level, and to be aware of karma. Happiness has to be within, as an academic subject, not a religious subject.

The basic point being that we don't need religion to live good, happy & contented lives.

I'll drink to that...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:13 am

Mountain Mist wrote:Kindness, hope (something good), and happiness (the non materialistic way) at the sensory or mental level, and to be aware of karma. Happiness has to be within, as an academic subject, not a religious subject.

I think what he is saying is this......you know how some men will go from woman to woman and only have sex, and
not attain that love connnection, those men will not be happy just using women for sex.

I think he is talking about the act of sex, not sex in a loving relationship.

If you have the former, you cannot be fully happy, but if you are in a loving relationship you can be happy.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:38 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:

I think what he is saying is this......you know how some men will go from woman to woman and only have sex, and
not attain that love connnection, those men will not be happy just using women for sex.

I think he is talking about the act of sex, not sex in a loving relationship.

If you have the former, you cannot be fully happy, but if you are in a loving relationship you can be happy.

You are so right, Cadillac-Elvis, thank you.

I found this, just now:

The Buddha is a teacher of love, true love. Love for mother earth should be true love. And if it is true love, it can bring a lot of happiness to you and to mother earth. And romantic love, if it is true love, it can also bring a lot of happiness. But if it is not true love, it will make you suffer, and make the other suffer as well.

And in the teaching of the Buddha, true love needs four elements. First of all, maitri, loving kindness, that is the capacity to offer happiness. If you cannot offer happiness, that’s not true love. In romantic love, if you are not able to help the other person [be] happy, that’s not true love. So you should train yourself in order to be able to offer happiness to you and to him or to her. Without that, both will suffer.

The second element of true love is compassion. Compassion is the kind of energy that can help remove suffering. It can help transform the suffering in you and in the other person. If you cannot transform and take care of the suffering in you and in [the] other person, that is not true love. That is why karuna, the second element of true love, should be cultivated by you and by the other person.

Romantic and not romantic, that’s not important. The important [thing] is it is true love or not true love. Right?

And the third element of true love is joy. If by loving you make the other person cry all the time, and you cry all the time, that’s not true love, romantic or not romantic.

True love is inclusiveness; that you do not exclude. His suffering is your suffering, his happiness is your happiness. There’s no individual suffering and happiness any more. In true love, there is the element of inclusiveness, non-discrimination, there’s no separation, there’s no frontier, between you and the other person. In that spirit, you cannot say “That’s your problem.” No. Your problem is my problem. My suffering is your suffering. So this is true love, the forth element of true love.

And if romantic love has these four elements, it can bring a lot of happiness also. And the Buddha never said negative things about true love.

And romantic love, if you are successful, you will cultivate a lot of loving kindness and compassion, and very soon, your love will be all-embracing. The other person is no longer the only object of your love, because your love continue[s] to grow and your love will embrace all of us. And happiness become[s] limitless. And that is the love of the Buddha. That is the meaning of the forth element of true love, inclusiveness. If it is true love, then it will continue to grow, and include more and more and more, not only humans, but also animals, vegetables, and minerals, and that is great love, maha-karuna, maha-maitri. And that is the love of the Buddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FCIIDmN_Po

To me, the more I learn, what is not to like or love, about this way of life.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:09 am

Mountain Mist wrote:...I found this, just now:

The Buddha is a teacher of love, true love. Love for mother earth should be true love.
And if it is true love, it can bring a lot of happiness to you and to mother earth. And romantic love, if it is true love, it can also bring a lot of happiness. But if it is not true love, it will make you suffer, and make the other suffer as well.

Compared to other religions, Buddhism does have some good points.

Like not having a supreme being who needs worshipping.

But they kinda spoil things with the 'constant reincarnation' stuff...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:34 am

Colin B wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:...I found this, just now:

The Buddha is a teacher of love, true love. Love for mother earth should be true love.
And if it is true love, it can bring a lot of happiness to you and to mother earth. And romantic love, if it is true love, it can also bring a lot of happiness. But if it is not true love, it will make you suffer, and make the other suffer as well.

Compared to other religions, Buddhism does have some good points.

Like not having a supreme being who needs worshipping.

But they kinda spoil things with the 'constant reincarnation' stuff...

We can't have everything, no-one, or anything, is perfect.

Tibetan Buddhism is referred to as a way of life (which suits me), there are different forms of Buddhism. The Dalai Lama fled the Chinese suppression of a national uprising in Tibet, and crossed the border into India, where he is granted political asylum.

Also, the current Dalai Lama has said that he believes he will be the last Dalai Lama.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:41 am

I have another theory, and just as Colin says, that doesn't make it true.
Of course it doesn't, a theory is sort of speculation.
I believe that what we now know about the universe and the creation, is about 1%.
I agree that there is a lot we don't know, but I can't see how you can possibly put a figure on that.

I think what we humans know about life is only the tip of the iceberg.
I do think there is a master plan of sorts, it will be revealed to us in good time.
I don't.
We just don't have the ability to to grasp all there is to our lives.
It's a lack of knowledge that holds us back - not ability.
I also believe there is a spirit, or non-physical world that we enter into after our bodies wear out and die.
Will we remember our past life?
Does a butterfly know that it once lived a life as a catapillar?
There is no evidence that a non-physical world exists.
When we die, we return to a state of non-existence that we had before we were conceived.

There is so much about the universe and weird oddities about this planet that have scientists baffled.
They just can't explain certain things.
And there are things that defy logic.
We spend 9 months of our lives living in water, not using lungs, then suddenly
we use our lungs and our ability to live under water is gone.
The human heart beats, but how and what is the source?
What is that force that keeps it beating?
Scientists are discovering more & more about us & the universe as time goes by -
& nothing they've found points to anything supernatural.

And those that don't believe in the bible sometimes forget
that it is a documentation of history from some 2000 years ago.
Several Roman leaders and others are name checked, and various wars are documented, along
with some family history. Did Jesus exist? or was he made up to be woven into that history for what purpose?
Just because there are some bits of the bible that are true, doesn't mean all of it is.
It was written by humans, many years after the events described took place,
& the only reason to suppose it's the word of god is that the many different authors said it was !
Hardly good provenance.

And after we solve all of that, let's get into bigfoot, (which I think I have solved), the loch ness monster,
and the UFO aliens from around Rosewell, (which I think I have solved that one too).
Do tell...

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:51 am

Yes, so "God" could be "us" within, so to speak (not organised religion).

"We" are whom we want to be in this world, we choose it, through evolving our dispositions, either through unconscious, or the preferred, conscious living: how we react, how we interact, how we play out our lives, it is all within us, and our own decision, to evolve and learn from our mistakes and reactions, is key. We have to remove the stress and other people's drama/negativity, whom we don't care about anyway, or should not let their vibes influence us, out of the equation, to be close to those who matter.

I think that we draw whom we are, what we feel, at any given time, to ourselves, and that manifests, unconsciously, until we realise. This is also what I understand as Tibetan Buddhism.

I think we, who are supposed to be connected in life, are connected, through our own sensory perceptions and to my outlook, this is "us". However, for the connection to manifest, stress needs to be less, yet, the connection is strong, and can override anything.

We all know, sometimes we meet someone, and it is "wow" and there is an understanding, a meeting of the minds.

I would like to think that we are reincarnated, as life is too short. However, I think what it is more likely, is that we have family memories in our DNA, as animals have instinct in their DNA, that helps with "knowings" (if that makes sense) with some things that we just "know".

How does the above sound?

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Mountain Mist wrote:Yes, so "God" could be "us" within, so to speak (not organised religion)...

...I would like to think that we are reincarnated, as life is too short.
However, I think what it is more likely, is that we have family memories in our DNA, as animals have instinct in their DNA, that helps with "knowings" (if that makes sense) with some things that we just "know".

How does the above sound?

I think you are saying that we don't 'need' any god figures.

I'll drink to that.

The problem with reincarnation is that 'something', containing our very essence, must somehow be transferred over at the moment of anothers' conception.

I don't think any such 'something' exists after our death.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:37 pm

So i leave this World as a member and get reincarnated in next life as an admin here?

Return to “Off Topic”