vinyl from UK - demonstration records

It's In The Groove

Ben

Re: vinyl from UK - demonstration records

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:25 am

I will check with my dad once he gets up - it's a hard life in isolation - but I think it was white. Maybe it was I Can Help and I'm assuming it was mid 70s as that's when the song dated from.

It would be a bit strange for my granddad to have it as he wasn't a collector or records, he just enjoyed the music, but he did have a very early Marty Wilde promo and a couple of Sun Jerry Lee singles and the gate fold Elvis Christmas EP.

Oh I miss that man.

John

Postby John » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:23 am

Ben wrote:I will check with my dad once he gets up - it's a hard life in isolation - but I think it was white. Maybe it was I Can Help and I'm assuming it was mid 70s as that's when the song dated from.

It would be a bit strange for my granddad to have it as he wasn't a collector or records, he just enjoyed the music, but he did have a very early Marty Wilde promo and a couple of Sun Jerry Lee singles and the gate fold Elvis Christmas EP.

Oh I miss that man.

I've got I Can Help on a white label, but I think it was a regular release, although the label on one side is completely blank.

I have never seen a demonstration record in my life. Where do you guys get them all?

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:06 am

John wrote:
Ben wrote:I will check with my dad once he gets up - it's a hard life in isolation - but I think it was white. Maybe it was I Can Help and I'm assuming it was mid 70s as that's when the song dated from.

Oh I miss that man.

I've got I Can Help on a white label, but I think it was a regular release, although the label on one side is completely blank.

I have never seen a demonstration record in my life. Where do you guys get them all?

Could you take a picture of that record please? I'd be interested in seeing it.

John

Postby John » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:11 am

Ben wrote:
John wrote:

Oh I miss that man.

Will do. I think I have posted it before on Monkey, so I should have the picture somewhere, but if not, I'll do it again.

John

Postby John » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:30 am

Ben wrote:
John wrote:

Oh I miss that man.

Hmm, that's weird. I thought it was I Can Help, but it wasn't. Here's both sides of the single. It's printed on both sides.

It was actually Are You Lonesome Tonight, which is blank on both sides.

I Can Help0002.jpg
I Can Help0001.jpg
Are You Lonesome Tonight.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:17 pm

That lonesome tonight is interesting, never seen one like that before.
Possibly a miss press.

John

Postby John » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:21 pm

TonyS wrote:That lonesome tonight is interesting, never seen one like that before.
Possibly a miss press.

I guess so. It doesn't make sense to have it blank.

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:35 pm

I have one of the Memphis recording singles picture sleeves with no writing on the cover. I don't know how common that is.

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:56 am

Ben wrote:I have one of the Memphis recording singles picture sleeves with no writing on the cover. I don't know how common that is.

That should be 'Don't Cry Daddy' and there's a few of them about.
Sadly some people put the blank sleeves with other singles from the time , but 'Daddy' was the only one that came blank at the time. If it's with any other single, it's wrong.

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:35 am

TonyS wrote:
Ben wrote:I have one of the Memphis recording singles picture sleeves with no writing on the cover. I don't know how common that is.

That should be 'Don't Cry Daddy' and there's a few of them about.
Sadly some people put the blank sleeves with other singles from the time , but 'Daddy' was the only one that came blank at the time. If it's with any other single, it's wrong.

Cheers. The singles are st my dad's but I'll check when I get the chance.

Leigh

Postby Leigh » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:26 pm

Hope this comes out, been a long time since I've posted on any forum.
I also have a plain label 80s single both in the picture sleeve and in a generic plain sleeve luckily the numbers in the run out groove give the clue to what they are, although don't think I've ever played them ! Maybe I should
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leigh

Postby Leigh » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:32 pm

Well that worked, thought I'd add another Demo

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:50 am

01RCA1869.jpg

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:14 pm

02RCA2084.jpg