Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

It's In The Groove
User avatar

Topic author
TonyS
Posts: 6943
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 3491 times
Been thanked: 3344 times

Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby TonyS » Wed May 20, 2020 6:04 am

If you were around in the mid to late 1970's it was hard to miss this release.
Here are a few examples.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.memphismansion.com
What a great place to visit, it really is.

User avatar

Mister Moon
Posts: 8038
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 2228 times
Been thanked: 3993 times

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby Mister Moon » Wed May 20, 2020 7:16 am

I used to have the one with the big Steve Allen show photo. I may have sold it at some point, I don't remember.

I liked looking at that sleeve and trying to identify all the small photos. If I'm not mistaken, all of them were taken from "Legendary Performer" booklets.

User avatar

Topic author
TonyS
Posts: 6943
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 3491 times
Been thanked: 3344 times

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby TonyS » Thu May 21, 2020 6:31 am

Mister Moon wrote:I used to have the one with the big Steve Allen show photo. I may have sold it at some point, I don't remember.

I liked looking at that sleeve and trying to identify all the small photos. If I'm not mistaken, all of them were taken from "Legendary Performer" booklets.

I didn't know that, but I can't confirm.... too much like hard work that. lol
www.memphismansion.com
What a great place to visit, it really is.

User avatar

John
Posts: 18944
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 3620 times
Been thanked: 4877 times

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby John » Thu May 21, 2020 8:30 am

TonyS wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:I used to have the one with the big Steve Allen show photo. I may have sold it at some point, I don't remember.

I liked looking at that sleeve and trying to identify all the small photos. If I'm not mistaken, all of them were taken from "Legendary Performer" booklets.

I didn't know that, but I can't confirm.... too much like hard work that. lol

Hey, you've got nothing else to do right now, get to it (I'm kidding).

User avatar

Mister Moon
Posts: 8038
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 2228 times
Been thanked: 3993 times

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby Mister Moon » Thu May 21, 2020 8:35 am

John wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:I used to have the one with the big Steve Allen show photo. I may have sold it at some point, I don't remember.

I liked looking at that sleeve and trying to identify all the small photos. If I'm not mistaken, all of them were taken from "Legendary Performer" booklets.

I didn't know that, but I can't confirm.... too much like hard work that. lol

Hey, you've got nothing else to do right now, get to it (I'm kidding).


It's been a long time ago, but I can clearly remember all those photos being there. Somebody got a copy of those booklets and scissors, and was told, "please make a collage with all the photos here", and they came up with that sleeve. Much easier than any other option.

User avatar

John
Posts: 18944
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 3620 times
Been thanked: 4877 times

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby John » Thu May 21, 2020 8:41 am

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:I used to have the one with the big Steve Allen show photo. I may have sold it at some point, I don't remember.

I liked looking at that sleeve and trying to identify all the small photos. If I'm not mistaken, all of them were taken from "Legendary Performer" booklets.

I didn't know that, but I can't confirm.... too much like hard work that. lol

Hey, you've got nothing else to do right now, get to it (I'm kidding).


It's been a long time ago, but I can clearly remember all those photos being there. Somebody got a copy of those booklets and scissors, and was told, "please make a collage with all the photos here", and they came up with that sleeve. Much easier than any other option.

I'm going to get my booklets out and cut them up just to see if that's right.

User avatar

Colin B
Posts: 21128
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 4764 times
Been thanked: 5073 times

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby Colin B » Thu May 21, 2020 10:50 am

The original Arcade release was in October, 1974.

An immediate massive hit, but denied a place in the UK album charts because of some silly rule !

The chart compilers eventually relented, after 9 months, & allowed it to be listed & it was still at No.1 !

Think how different the chart stats would look if the album had been given its proper due !

RCA finally got round to issuing it themselves in 1978, but despite the pink vinyl, the cream of the sales had already been used up, & it stalled at No.40.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

User avatar

colonel snow
Posts: 5353
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:04 am
Location: antarctica
Has thanked: 766 times
Been thanked: 2004 times

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby colonel snow » Thu May 21, 2020 2:39 pm

I never bought these B-choices of releases. The same for LP's like The definitive Rock and roll album & Gospel - Love - Country - Film albums released in 1987.

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar

John
Posts: 18944
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 3620 times
Been thanked: 4877 times

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby John » Thu May 21, 2020 3:15 pm

colonel snow wrote:I never bought these B-choices of releases. The same for LP's like The definitive Rock and roll album & Gospel - Love - Country - Film albums released in 1987.

colonel snow

I bought one of them, maybe the movies one. I seem to remember there was a problem with it, but can't remember what. I think I may still have it so I'll try and find what the problem was.

Edit.

I have just zipped through it. The sound is good, but it has some tracks in mono which were available in stereo.

The problem was that the end of a few tracks overlapped onto the beginning of the next track. It does however have the short intro to "Almost In Love" which I think is fairly rare.

User avatar

colonel snow
Posts: 5353
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:04 am
Location: antarctica
Has thanked: 766 times
Been thanked: 2004 times

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby colonel snow » Thu May 21, 2020 3:59 pm

If I remember well the tracks on the CD versions of these sets were heavenly edited to get all tracks on the CD (limited to space).
I nearly bought compilations (LP's & CD's) because nothing new was included.

colonel snow


Ben
Posts: 1741
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:32 pm
Location: Leeds
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 230 times

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby Ben » Thu May 21, 2020 8:54 pm

Colin B wrote:The original Arcade release was in October, 1974.

An immediate massive hit, but denied a place in the UK album charts because of some silly rule !

The chart compilers eventually relented, after 9 months, & allowed it to be listed & it was still at No.1 !

Think how different the chart stats would look if the album had been given its proper due !

RCA finally got round to issuing it themselves in 1978, but despite the pink vinyl, the cream of the sales had already been used up, & it stalled at No.40.

I have both versions of the album. I used to love watching the pink one spin when playing.

User avatar

Colin B
Posts: 21128
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gravesend - UK
Has thanked: 4764 times
Been thanked: 5073 times

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby Colin B » Thu May 21, 2020 9:08 pm

Colin B wrote:The original Arcade release was in October, 1974.
An immediate massive hit, but denied a place in the UK album charts because of some silly rule !
The chart compilers eventually relented, after 9 months, & allowed it to be listed & it was still at No.1 !
Think how different the chart stats would look if the album had been given its proper due !
RCA finally got round to issuing it themselves in 1978, but despite the pink vinyl, the cream of the sales had already been used up, & it stalled at No.40.
Ben wrote:I have both versions of the album.
I used to love watching the pink one spin when playing.


I had the pink RCA one !

During the divorce [in 1979], my ex-wife got custody of it.

A recent delicate negotiation has seen her return it to me after 40 years !

Seemed odd having to 'negotiate' the return of my own records !

Such is life !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B


Hard Rocker
Posts: 795
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:42 am
Has thanked: 297 times
Been thanked: 385 times

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby Hard Rocker » Fri May 22, 2020 12:15 am

Colin B wrote:The original Arcade release was in October, 1974.
An immediate massive hit, but denied a place in the UK album charts because of some silly rule !
The chart compilers eventually relented, after 9 months, & allowed it to be listed & it was still at No.1 !


That's incredible. It was likely #1 for most of that year.

User avatar

John
Posts: 18944
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm
Has thanked: 3620 times
Been thanked: 4877 times

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby John » Fri May 22, 2020 12:42 am

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:The original Arcade release was in October, 1974.
An immediate massive hit, but denied a place in the UK album charts because of some silly rule !
The chart compilers eventually relented, after 9 months, & allowed it to be listed & it was still at No.1 !
Think how different the chart stats would look if the album had been given its proper due !
RCA finally got round to issuing it themselves in 1978, but despite the pink vinyl, the cream of the sales had already been used up, & it stalled at No.40.
Ben wrote:I have both versions of the album.
I used to love watching the pink one spin when playing.


I had the pink RCA one !

During the divorce [in 1979], my ex-wife got custody of it.

A recent delicate negotiation has seen her return it to me after 40 years !

Seemed odd having to 'negotiate' the return of my own records !

Such is life !

Did you check that it still plays?

User avatar

Topic author
TonyS
Posts: 6943
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 3491 times
Been thanked: 3344 times

Re: Arcade Elvis 40 Greatest

Postby TonyS » Fri May 22, 2020 5:12 am

John wrote:
Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:The original Arcade release was in October, 1974.
An immediate massive hit, but denied a place in the UK album charts because of some silly rule !
The chart compilers eventually relented, after 9 months, & allowed it to be listed & it was still at No.1 !
Think how different the chart stats would look if the album had been given its proper due !
RCA finally got round to issuing it themselves in 1978, but despite the pink vinyl, the cream of the sales had already been used up, & it stalled at No.40.
Ben wrote:I have both versions of the album.
I used to love watching the pink one spin when playing.


I had the pink RCA one !

During the divorce [in 1979], my ex-wife got custody of it.

A recent delicate negotiation has seen her return it to me after 40 years !

Seemed odd having to 'negotiate' the return of my own records !

Such is life !

Did you check that it still plays?


He can't, she has custody of the record player ! :lol:
www.memphismansion.com
What a great place to visit, it really is.


Return to “The Vinyl Countdown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests