British Orange Label 45's

It's In The Groove

Topic author
TonyS

British Orange Label 45's

Postby TonyS » Mon May 18, 2020 8:31 pm

As far as I know, but I could be wrong, other than the 'Clean Up Your Own Back Yard' 45 each UK first pressing orange label, during Elvis' lifetime, had a knockout four prong push out centre and a solid label variation too.

Here is the first UK orange label in both its guises.

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TonyS on Tue May 19, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.memphismansion.com
What a great place to visit, it really is.

Ben

Re: British Orange Label 45's

Postby Ben » Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am

I have a list of what type or releases featured solid/punch out/tan etc. from when I used to buy the UK first variants. I'll try and find it after work. I think there's only one releases from the 70s I don't have and only a couple of variants I still don't have.

Alan_K

Postby Alan_K » Tue May 19, 2020 11:53 am

Including re-pressings of older singles as well?
These are all the ones I could find for RCA 1088 for example RCA 1088
15562days.com - here's to ya Graeme, I hope it was worth it! RIP mate (Rock In Peace)

Topic author
TonyS

Postby TonyS » Tue May 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Alan_K wrote:These are all the ones I could find for RCA 1088 for example RCA 1088

I have a variation in my collection that you don't have listed there.
www.memphismansion.com

Alan_K

Postby Alan_K » Tue May 19, 2020 7:01 pm

TonyS wrote:
Alan_K wrote:These are all the ones I could find for RCA 1088 for example RCA 1088

Ha-ha! I'm not srprised, I'm sure there's a few left to find. It's not the re-issue where they used the same number, is it?
If not please describe, black label, orange? Does it have a tax code?
15562days.com - here's to ya Graeme, I hope it was worth it! RIP mate (Rock In Peace)

Topic author
TonyS

Postby TonyS » Tue May 19, 2020 8:07 pm

Alan_K wrote:
TonyS wrote:

Ha-ha! I'm not srprised, I'm sure there's a few left to find. It's not the re-issue where they used the same number, is it?
If not please describe, black label, orange? Does it have a tax code?

I'll do better than that, here it is.
The 'B' side has the N.C.B. boxed too.

ASU.jpg

It's a hard one to find I've been told.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.memphismansion.com

Alan_K

Postby Alan_K » Tue May 19, 2020 9:27 pm

I would say it is rare, but it has to be one of, if not the first pressings on the orange label.
The rarity being that the publisher moved to Carlin on All Shook Up.
So there wasnt many that would have had those publishers on it, well certainly not with the box around NCB.

I'd love to find a website that deals with song publishing and when songs changed from one publisher to another, it would be a very handy source for dating pressings.

I'm staggered at how many times this single was pressed an repressed - it only stopped after Heartbreak Hotel came out on a maxi single.

Topic author
TonyS

Postby TonyS » Tue May 19, 2020 10:02 pm

Alan_K wrote:I would say it is rare, but it has to be one of, if not the first pressings on the orange label.
So there wasnt many that would have had those publishers on it, well certainly not with the box around NCB.

I'd love to find a website that deals with song publishing and when songs changed from one publisher to another, it would be a very handy source for dating pressings.

I'm staggered at how many times this single was pressed an repressed - it only stopped after Heartbreak Hotel came out on a maxi single.

But then the same coupling was re-issued in 1977 for the number 1's singles box set.
They changed the catalogue number to RCA 2694 for that set, but RCA 1088 was still included in brackets underneath.
www.memphismansion.com

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue May 19, 2020 11:34 pm

Tony, could you post a photo of your Elvis vinyl collection please? Are they all on shelves or tucked away in boxes?

Topic author
TonyS

Postby TonyS » Wed May 20, 2020 5:53 am

Ben wrote:Tony, could you post a photo of your Elvis vinyl collection please? Are they all on shelves or tucked away in boxes?

image.jpeg
www.memphismansion.com

Alan_K

Postby Alan_K » Wed May 20, 2020 9:26 am

TonyS wrote:
Alan_K wrote:I would say it is rare, but it has to be one of, if not the first pressings on the orange label.

But then the same coupling was re-issued in 1977 for the number 1's singles box set.
They changed the catalogue number to RCA 2694 for that set, but RCA 1088 was still included in brackets underneath.

Yeah, very naughty, not just that 1088 never made number one - it never even charted full stop lol.
Guess EPE weren't complaining as Evis got more of the publishing on Heartbreak Hotel than he did on That's When Your Heartaches Begin.
Am I right in recalling that when the number ones were reissued in the 2000s that they used the same reference number of 1088 but actually went and replaced (finally) Heartbreak Hotel with That's When Your Heartaches Begin. (maybe I dreamt that)

Topic author
TonyS

Postby TonyS » Wed May 20, 2020 9:40 am

Alan_K wrote:
TonyS wrote:

Yeah, very naughty, not just that 1088 never made number one - it never even charted full stop lol.
Guess EPE weren't complaining as Evis got more of the publishing on Heartbreak Hotel than he did on That's When Your Heartaches Begin.
Am I right in recalling that when the number ones were reissued in the 2000s that they used the same reference number of 1088 but actually went and replaced (finally) Heartbreak Hotel with That's When Your Heartaches Begin. (maybe I dreamt that)

You didn't dream it, that's exactly what happened.
The 2000's UK reissue was historically inaccurate because up to that point any 1088 or variation of it ( RCA 2694 in 1977 for example ) was always 'All Shook Up' and 'Heartbreak Hotel'. But now there's more.... the blue 'Elvis' label reissue of these two tracks from the 1980's had RCA 2694 but dropped the 1088 in brackets !
If you thought it complicated before, it is now. :lol:

Here it is, but to me it'll always be RCA 1088

image.jpeg
www.memphismansion.com

Hard Rocker

Postby Hard Rocker » Thu May 21, 2020 10:13 pm

Tony, was this not the first UK orange label 45? Or is it a later re-issue?

male.jpg

Topic author
TonyS

Postby TonyS » Fri May 22, 2020 6:30 am

Hard Rocker wrote:Tony, was this not the first UK orange label 45? Or is it a later re-issue?

male.jpg

That's the later re-issue from 1970.
The first orange was If I can Dream in 1969.
www.memphismansion.com

Topic author
TonyS

Postby TonyS » Fri May 22, 2020 3:55 pm

Here's a rare and hard to find solid centre orange label 45 from 1975.

image.jpeg
www.memphismansion.com

Return to “The Vinyl Countdown”