Vinyl - Is there a big interest in vinyl on this board?

It's In The Groove

Mojo Filter

Re: Vinyl - Is there a big interest in vinyl on this board?

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri May 22, 2020 5:47 am

TonyS wrote:7MC42.jpg
This is nice, AND it's mine. :)

This is a cool item.

I too have a copy. Mines almost mint with the name "Ray" written in the centre in pencil but it's very lightly written, you can hardly see it.. A true mint one fetches the £400 mark.

Though it's pressed in Great Britain but it is an export. Printed in Britain for export. It is quite rare, in fact it's rarer than the original Sun 45 as it as the same A and B sides.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Fri May 22, 2020 6:36 am

Mojo Filter wrote:

This is a cool item.

I too have a copy. Mines almost mint with the name "Ray" written in the centre in pencil but it's very lightly written, you can hardly see it.. A true mint one fetches the £400 mark.

Though it's pressed in Great Britain but it is an export. Printed in Britain for export. It is quite rare, in fact it's rarer than the original Sun 45 as it as the same A and B sides.

I've played it only once while making a video of it playing with a direct in line mono recording at the same time.
Not a pop or crackle to be heard, beautiful.... and it has the longer ending, it doesn't cut off.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri May 22, 2020 4:34 pm

TonyS wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

This is a cool item.

I've played it only once while making a video of it playing with a direct in line mono recording at the same time.
Not a pop or crackle to be heard, beautiful.... and it has the longer ending, it doesn't cut off.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You have it in its original sleeve, too. It's cool also that Scotty and Bill are mentioned on the label. If memory serves me correctly, I think it was the other HMV "Mystery Train" with "Love Me" on the other side that had the abrupt ending on "Mystery Train" cutting off the fade out.

What's interesting, and it's not mentioned in any books i have or any other books, unless my memory is failing me is, this is the only one of his 5 Sun singles to be released around the world with the same A and B as the original Sun 45 in the 50s excluding the United States, and I think Canada did all five with same A and B sides but that's about it.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

marvan

Postby marvan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:44 pm

My interest in Elvis vinyl is still great.
A "vinyl" section is very welcome!

zebz

Postby zebz » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:11 am

TonyS wrote:Like I thought John, us vinyl nerds are a minority in this digital download era.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Where did you buy this??? I'd really like to pick it up!

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:37 am

zebz wrote:
TonyS wrote:Like I thought John, us vinyl nerds are a minority in this digital download era.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Where did you buy this??? I'd really like to pick it up!

Memphis Mansion, Randers, Denmark.

See the link at the bottom of any of my posts.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:04 pm

Vinyl has certainly seen a surge in sales recently !

From today's 'i' [UK Newspaper]:

Vinyl Sales - i Newspaper - 29th Dec 2020 - 001.jpg

Sales figures for wax cylinders are being kept under wraps.

There are more lovers of the clicks, pops, surface noise, distortion & fluff-on-the-stylus from vinyl than I realised !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

‘96jagstang

Postby ‘96jagstang » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:48 pm

Hi all, new member here so thanks for letting me join.
Regarding vinyl, since lockdown and being ill i majorly got back into Elvis vinyl last year from original releases to recent ftd vinyls which sound awesome.
All of my vinyl gets a hand wash, with mild detergent, washed in running water and then i put it through an ultrasonic bath for 3-4 mins.
I find this reduces or eliminates pops/crackles and also sibilance.
Unfortunately it wont obviously get rid of any scratches!
I cant see me going back to cd now and theres some great bargains to be found nowadays.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:31 pm

‘96jagstang wrote:All of my vinyl gets a hand wash, with mild detergent, washed in running water and then i put it through an ultrasonic bath for 3-4 mins. I find this reduces or eliminates pops/crackles and also sibilance.

Welcome to the forum, 96jagstang.

This is going to sound like bs, but it is not.

Many years ago, I knew a guy who was older than me and a total Beatles freak. He was also very fond of their solo careers and had a big Wings b/w poster in his living room. He had a pretty big record collection, that also included some 50s rock and roll, etc. Anyway, every once in a while, the guy washed all his records in the dishwasher. No kidding at all. He patiently fixed some plastic protection upon the labels, and the dishwasher did all the rest. Amazing.

‘96jagstang

Postby ‘96jagstang » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:57 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
‘96jagstang wrote:All of my vinyl gets a hand wash, with mild detergent, washed in running water and then i put it through an ultrasonic bath for 3-4 mins. I find this reduces or eliminates pops/crackles and also sibilance.

Welcome to the forum, 96jagstang.

This is going to sound like bs, but it is not.

Many years ago, I knew a guy who was older than me and a total Beatles freak. He was also very fond of their solo careers and had a big Wings b/w poster in his living room. He had a pretty big record collection, that also included some 50s rock and roll, etc. Anyway, every once in a while, the guy washed all his records in the dishwasher. No kidding at all. He patiently fixed some plastic protection upon the labels, and the dishwasher did all the rest. Amazing.

Wow!
Good job i havent got a dishwasher!
Its really surprised me how much crap in between the grooves gets picked up by the needle though - noise that you think is damage is literally dirt.
I bought one of those cheap magnifyers for my iphone off ebay and heres some before and after pics.
1E44A5E8-E6D2-4B7B-9706-830363AFE3CD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sm1975sm

Postby Sm1975sm » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi people. I just bought the new set “From Elvis in Nashville” and it’s just great. I’m looking to buy specefic records but concerned about sound quality cause there’s a lot of resellers . My set are RCA labeled which are reissued by Sony.

My question is where you buy your vinyl (good sound quality)?

Thanks

Return to “The Vinyl Countdown”