Very Early Bootleg collectors, anyone remember those?

It's In The Groove

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Very Early Bootleg collectors, anyone remember those?

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:59 pm

Here an article that I found in the October issue of Strictly Elvis magazine from 1974.
From what I can figure out, Elvis bootlegs started around 1970.

They are saying 15 bootlegs that they know about going back the previous year and a half, which would be sometime mid 1973.

I started collecting bootlegs around 1978, but I was curious if any of you super fans
were collecting them before Elvis passed away?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ben

Re: Very Early Bootleg collectors, anyone remember those?

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:20 pm

Elvis and the Colonel are concerned with what the fans want to hear.

That's why got some of the stuff they put out because Elvis couldn't be arsed to get in the studio. So instead we got Little Darlin', Hey Jude and Let Me Be There that already came out 3 years previously. I can happily listen to all three songs but neither Elvis nor the Colonel cared what we paid for.

ToddS

Postby ToddS » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:35 pm

I bought my first Beatles Bootleg LP in 1972 = BBC Recordings . Later on i borrowed quite a few Elvis Bootleg LP's from a friend in the early 1980's . Then quite a few of us were trading cassette tape copies of Bootlegs for each other .

John

Postby John » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:43 pm

I think the first one I bought was Please Release Me, which I think I still have. That would have been around the mid 70s, I reckon.

STEVE MORSE

Postby STEVE MORSE » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:26 pm

John wrote:I think the first one I bought was Please Release Me, which I think I still have. That would have been around the mid 70s, I reckon.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I got my copy of Please Release Me at the Luxembourg Fan Convention in 1970, hot off the presses I believe.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:35 pm

The first bootleg I wanted to purchase was "The Burbank Sessions - Vol. 1". I ordered it from a guy from Arizona, who always asked to name replacement titles of the same value, just in case some titles became unavailable. So he sent me the second choice in the list. Fast forward a few weeks, and I receive a letter from the guy telling me "Burbank" was available again. Of course, I told him I didn't want it. A little later, I got it from a different source.

So this was, by accident, my very first Elvis bootleg . back in 1981 or 1982.

You've got to love that homemade sleeve - and a couple of those photos, I still haven't seen them elsewhere :

LYBa.jpg

LYBb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

foreverelvis

Postby foreverelvis » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:20 pm

Before Elvis died no, just after, yes.
The last Farewell, Got O Lot O Livin To Do, the Burbank Sessions vol 1 and 2, Rock My Soul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:22 pm

Mister Moon wrote:The first bootleg I wanted to purchase was "The Burbank Sessions - Vol. 1". I ordered it from a guy from Arizona, who always asked to name replacement titles of the same value, just in case some titles became unavailable. So he sent me the second choice in the list. Fast forward a few weeks, and I receive a letter from the guy telling me "Burbank" was available again. Of course, I told him I didn't want it. A little later, I got it from a different source.

So this was, by accident, my very first Elvis bootleg . back in 1981 or 1982.

You've got to love that homemade sleeve - and a couple of those photos, I still haven't seen them elsewhere :

LYBa.jpg

LYBb.jpg

There is something fascinating about those amateur homemade looking covers.
But it really got good when Golden Archives, Audibon, and few other labels came along.
And there was a bunch of colored vinyl releases.
I sold off most of my boots but kept some of the really cool ones with awesome covers like
the fold outs of The Rockin Rebel, and Rockin New years 1976.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:48 pm

I think for the most of us collecting bootlegs started after august 1977.
Since the first bootleg in 1970 (Please release me) there were not much bootlegs released between 1970-1977.
It was still easy to get those “oldies” or counterfeit LP’s after 1977.
The real good bootlegs came afer 1977/78 with Behind closed doors – Burbank sessions etc.

colonel snow

John

Postby John » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:07 pm

STEVE MORSE wrote:
John wrote:I think the first one I bought was Please Release Me, which I think I still have. That would have been around the mid 70s, I reckon.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I got my copy of Please Release Me at the Luxembourg Fan Convention in 1970, hot off the presses I believe.

I never went to any conventions, so I can't remember where I got mine from. I don't think they advertised bootlegs anywhere, did they?

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:34 pm

John wrote:
STEVE MORSE wrote:

I never went to any conventions, so I can't remember where I got mine from. I don't think they advertised bootlegs anywhere, did they?

I think some of the fans clubs advertised them. But I wasn't a member back then of any.

Ed A

Postby Ed A » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:52 pm

John wrote:
STEVE MORSE wrote:

I live in the US. I remember getting bootlegs as early as 1970 or 1971. Please Release Me, The Hillbilly Cat Live and some others. There were also a couple of 45 RPM releases back then. They were not available in the local stores and we did not have conventions back then. So I got them in the mail from ads in magazines. The only magazines that I remember subscribing to at that time was Elvis Monthly and Record Collector Digest.

Ed

John

Postby John » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:41 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:
STEVE MORSE wrote:

I think some of the fans clubs advertised them. But I wasn't a member back then of any.

I wasn't either, so I don't know how I got mine pre 1976. I've just checked, I still have the Please Release ME LP and I Wanna Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star. Gosh they were precious back then.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:35 pm

I only know the history after august 1977 but I’ve seen advertisements in magazines like Goldmine – Record Collector Digests.
See advertisement Record Digests from the late 70’s
For me the most interesting part in the Goldmine magazine were the small advertisements.
Collectors offered a lot very interesting tapes (studio outtakes-concerts) including homemade concerts and a lot of other crap.

colonel snow

John

Postby John » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:30 pm

colonel snow wrote:Collectors offered a lot very interesting tapes (studio outtakes-concerts) including homemade concerts and a lot of other crap.

colonel snow

Thanks colonel snow. The above sentence made me laugh.

Return to “The Vinyl Countdown”