UK, Orange label variations

It's In The Groove

Topic author
Leigh
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:20 pm
Location: Portsmouth
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 11 times

UK, Orange label variations

Postby Leigh » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:42 pm

I can see there are a few variation collectors on the site, and I was going to ask this in one of the other topics but thought it would just get lost.
Apart from the few USA singles that were imported for sale here because of Vinyl shortage, plant problems or whatever.

Can Die cut Orange label singles be truly considered variations, after all there were companies around that punched there own for Jukebox use, and you can even buy you own hole cutter.

Don't get me wrong I buy them when I see them if condition is good and I know that the Elvis UK book doesn't list every variation. It's just a question that's bothered me for a while.

Leigh


TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 4115 times
Been thanked: 3936 times

Re: UK, Orange label variations

Postby TonyS » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:58 pm

Leigh wrote:I can see there are a few variation collectors on the site, and I was going to ask this in one of the other topics but thought it would just get lost.
Apart from the few USA singles that were imported for sale here because of Vinyl shortage, plant problems or whatever.

Can Die cut Orange label singles be truly considered variations, after all there were companies around that punched there own for Jukebox use, and you can even buy you own hole cutter.

Don't get me wrong I buy them when I see them if condition is good and I know that the Elvis UK book doesn't list every variation. It's just a question that's bothered me for a while.

Leigh

If someone pushes out the original die cut centre, as a collector, I'm not interested.


Topic author
Leigh
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:20 pm
Location: Portsmouth
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: UK, Orange label variations

Postby Leigh » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:56 am

Do you mean if they push out the knock out centre Tony, if so that's not what I meant.


TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 4115 times
Been thanked: 3936 times

Re: UK, Orange label variations

Postby TonyS » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:22 pm

Leigh wrote:Do you mean if they push out the knock out centre Tony, if so that's not what I meant.

Yes, that's what I meant.
What do you mean?


Topic author
Leigh
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:20 pm
Location: Portsmouth
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: UK, Orange label variations

Postby Leigh » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:46 am

Die cut, as in made for jukebox


TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 4115 times
Been thanked: 3936 times

Re: UK, Orange label variations

Postby TonyS » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:02 pm

Leigh wrote:Die cut, as in made for jukebox

Die cut with reference to the UK is generally the four prong push out centre. Push it out and it fits a juke box.
Personally I’m not interested in any UK records with their centres pushed out because they’re not die cut as per the USA and ‘some’ European countries.
There are two UK 45’s that I can recall just going from memory that were centre variations:
Santa Claus Is Back In Town (80’s blue label)
The Twelfth Of Never (injection moulded label)
I’m not aware of any original UK orange label die cut for jukebox singles.


Topic author
Leigh
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:20 pm
Location: Portsmouth
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: UK, Orange label variations

Postby Leigh » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:38 am

So when the Elvis UK book makes reference to an Orange label Die cut variation, what are they referring too :?:
Hence my original question


TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 4115 times
Been thanked: 3936 times

Re: UK, Orange label variations

Postby TonyS » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:08 pm

Leigh wrote:So when the Elvis UK book makes reference to an Orange label Die cut variation, what are they referring too :?:
Hence my original question

The standard centre as seen here.

F4F8640D-3F74-4047-8D74-97C0747C4E3E.jpeg
A5D9ADDA-85E0-4175-9827-A46D51ECCD0E.jpeg
ED272173-435A-44CF-86BC-D9683544A9BE.jpeg


Topic author
Leigh
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:20 pm
Location: Portsmouth
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: UK, Orange label variations

Postby Leigh » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:12 pm

Always thought they were known as Knockout centres.

Maybe I should clear up any confusion when I refer to Die Cut it's because of the machine that punches the centre out into a clean round hole,
So maybe I should call them Spider centres as they are sometime known as, indeed as the Elvis uk calls them.

So I can only apologise for any confusion.


TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 4115 times
Been thanked: 3936 times

Re: UK, Orange label variations

Postby TonyS » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:16 pm

Leigh wrote:Always thought they were known as Knockout centres.

Maybe I should clear up any confusion when I refer to Die Cut it's because of the machine that punches the centre out into a clean round hole,
So maybe I should call them Spider centres as they are sometime known as, indeed as the Elvis uk calls them.

So I can only apologise for any confusion.

I don't think there's a standard 'official' word that's clear, and sometimes die cut can even refer to the centre whole cut in a 45 sleeve.
I've tended to call them four prong push out centres.... and there's no need to apologise.


Topic author
Leigh
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:20 pm
Location: Portsmouth
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: UK, Orange label variations

Postby Leigh » Sun May 02, 2021 2:38 pm

20210501_161832.jpg
.

So if we can agree that these are Die cut/ Spider centres.
And that some where stamped/ cut out by Jukebox companies in the seventies are they true variations to collect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 4115 times
Been thanked: 3936 times

Re: UK, Orange label variations

Postby TonyS » Mon May 03, 2021 2:34 pm

Leigh wrote:20210501_161832.jpg.

So if we can agree that these are Die cut/ Spider centres.
And that some where stamped/ cut out by Jukebox companies in the seventies are they true variations to collect.

I’d say that’s a die cut AND collectible only if it was cut like that by RCA, not a jukebox company.
I’m personally not interested in collecting those unless that’s how it came out of the RCA factory.
There’s not much info out there about that, but it looks like it was a solid centre version cut out by ‘someone’, but who, and how can we check that out ?


Topic author
Leigh
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:20 pm
Location: Portsmouth
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: UK, Orange label variations

Postby Leigh » Mon May 03, 2021 8:24 pm

TonyS wrote:
Leigh wrote:20210501_161832.jpg.

So if we can agree that these are Die cut/ Spider centres.
And that some where stamped/ cut out by Jukebox companies in the seventies are they true variations to collect.

I’d say that’s a die cut AND collectible only if it was cut like that by RCA, not a jukebox company.
I’m personally not interested in collecting those unless that’s how it came out of the RCA factory.
There’s not much info out there about that, but it looks like it was a solid centre version cut out by ‘someone’, but who, and how can we check that out ?


Exactly, the Elvis uk book list a few releases as having a spider centre though they obviously have not seen all variations.
Personally I don't mind picking these Die/Spider centres as I come across them, a k/o, solid and die/spider of each release makes more sense to me than chasing some of the other variations out there, but as you say proving who they were made by is a whole new ball game


TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 4115 times
Been thanked: 3936 times

Re: UK, Orange label variations

Postby TonyS » Mon May 03, 2021 8:45 pm

Leigh wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Leigh wrote:20210501_161832.jpg.

So if we can agree that these are Die cut/ Spider centres.
And that some where stamped/ cut out by Jukebox companies in the seventies are they true variations to collect.

I’d say that’s a die cut AND collectible only if it was cut like that by RCA, not a jukebox company.
I’m personally not interested in collecting those unless that’s how it came out of the RCA factory.
There’s not much info out there about that, but it looks like it was a solid centre version cut out by ‘someone’, but who, and how can we check that out ?


Exactly, the Elvis uk book list a few releases as having a spider centre though they obviously have not seen all variations.
Personally I don't mind picking these Die/Spider centres as I come across them, a k/o, solid and die/spider of each release makes more sense to me than chasing some of the other variations out there, but as you say proving who they were made by is a whole new ball game

This is what collecting is all about, you collect what gives you enjoyment.
It’s all part of the fun.


Return to “The Vinyl Countdown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests