The twelfth of never

Topic author
colonel snow

The twelfth of never

Postby colonel snow » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:01 pm

Deleted due to doubts about the information

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Suspicious Minds

Re: The twelfth of never

Postby Suspicious Minds » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks for sharing, Col. Snow.

Here's a bit more info on 'The Riddle Song' I found on Songfacts:
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=18010

The song the world now recognizes as 'The Riddle Song' was originally titled 'I Gave My Love a Cherry'. Like most traditional songs, both the author of the song and the date when it was written are unknown. The song is a lullaby based on two English folk songs: 'Child Ballad no. 1' (also known as 'Riddles Wisely Expounded'), and 'Child Ballad no. 46' (aka 'Captain Wedderburn's Courtship'). In this lullaby, which was said to be written in the 15th century, a maiden says she is advised to unite with her lover.

Some of the many artists to record this song include Burl Ives on his debut album Okeh Presents the Wayfaring Stranger (1941), Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, Carly Simon, Doc Watson, Sam Cooke, Shelby Flint on her album Shelby Flint Sings Folk, and children's music singer and songwriter Nancy Cassidy for her album Kids' Songs Jubilee.

By the 20th century, rumors began to circulate that the song contains hidden messages. The most shocking of these was the rumor that the line "I gave my love a cherry that has no stone," was said to refer to a woman who has lost her virginity. The song's "cherry that has no stone" goes back to the 15th-century version's "the cherye with-outyn ony ston." Some have seen it as a reference to the hymen, and some have even tried to reconstruct an original bawdy version from which modern versions are supposedly bowdlerized. However, the relevant slang sense of "cherry" is not attested till the early 20th century. Equally shocking was the rumor that the line, "I gave my love a chicken that has no bone," was said to refer to pregnancy, as the "chicken that has no bone" referred to the baby inside the mother's womb. The other riddles in the original do not resemble the "reconstructions."

Despite the popularity of the title 'The Riddle Song', it is merely one of a multitude of riddle songs; the format is common through folk music. The song was featured in the famous toga party scene in the movie National Lampoon's Animal House, where actor John Belushi's character, Bluto, comes across a folk singer (portrayed by singer-songwriter Stephen Bishop, who is credited as 'Charming Guy With Guitar') performing the song for a group of college girls. Bluto abruptly takes the singer's acoustic guitar out of his hands and smashes it violently, then hands a splintered piece of it back, saying "Sorry." Bishop, who went on to write the hit 'Separate Lives', told us that he and Animal House musical director Kenny Vance came up with the idea for his wussy folk-singer character to perform 'Cherry'. Says Bishop, "It seemed like the right song to do in the scene."
Don't take yourself too seriously ;-)

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Thanks for all the info, guys !

The song has a strange history in the UK !

By the time the Sir Precipice Dick version entered the UK singles chart in 1964, I remember the song being already very familiar !

But his version was the first one to chart.

And yet, the Johnny Mathis version which preceded it, was tucked away on the flip of his Chances Are single [& that never charted here either].

So how come we knew it so well before 1964 ?

It's a mystery !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:24 pm

One of my fav songs by Donny Osmond. realesed in 1973.
Thanks for info guys.
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

Matt Helm

Postby Matt Helm » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:14 pm

elvislady....i don't know Donny Osmonds version...well i think ELVIS was serious of this song...but it never hit the LV Stage or for a studio-recording ...but it is a little perle, YES. Matt

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Matt Helm wrote:elvislady....i don't know Donny Osmonds version...well i think ELVIS was serious of this song...but it never hit the LV Stage or for a studio-recording ...but it is a little perle, YES. Matt

Just for you matt. The quality of clip is not great but sound is ok.

https://youtu.be/EOHBpqHhLTE
Welcome to my world

Thank you ( Jeanette )

Matt Helm

Postby Matt Helm » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:52 pm

elvislady!!! Thank you ...this arrangement - with the voice of ELVIS of course- would have been a better choice as the "Let Me Be There" on the Classic Moody Blue Album (=i love his last Album, but NOT the "From Elvis Presley Blvd LP"). I have never seen this Donny Osmond Clip before, all that i knew, the Osmonds adore ELVIS' Stageoutfit..and the version is very fine sung from Donny. THANK YOU elvislady, as always yours, Matt

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Matt Helm wrote:elvislady!!! Thank you ...this arrangement - with the voice of ELVIS of course- would have been a better choice as the "Let Me Be There" on the Classic Moody Blue Album (=i love his last Album, but NOT the "From Elvis Presley Blvd LP"). I have never seen this Donny Osmond Clip before, all that i knew, the Osmonds adore ELVIS' Stageoutfit..and the version is very fine sung from Donny. THANK YOU elvislady, as always yours, Matt

You are welcome matt. I remember the Moody Blue Album growing up as a young girl....
You know the osmonds stage outfits were made by Bill Belew. They looked amazing as elvis did in his in early 70s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome to my world

Thank you ( Jeanette )

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:28 pm

elvislady wrote:...You know the osmonds stage outfits were made by Bill Belew.

The Bill Belew jumpsuits supplied to Elvis cost thousands of dollars !

Imagine having to pay that out 5 or 6 times over !
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Colin B wrote:
elvislady wrote:...You know the osmonds stage outfits were made by Bill Belew.

The Bill Belew jumpsuits supplied to Elvis cost thousands of dollars !

Imagine having to pay that out 5 or 6 times over !

A lot of money. The American Eagle cost approx $65,000

http://www.elvisnews.com/articles.aspx/ ... gXi7-vfWK0
Welcome to my world

Thank you ( Jeanette )

Matt Helm

Postby Matt Helm » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:14 pm

Talking about THE AMERICAN EAGLE (ELVIS' Aloha Show Jumpsuit) cost approx $10.000...a lot for 1973 and today too, imo, Matt

Private Presley

Postby Private Presley » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpIwWkx9NsE

As for "The Twelfth Of Never" Johnny Mathis' version is the quintessential version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNNRGa3pKyw
ImageImage

Suspicious Minds

Postby Suspicious Minds » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Colin B wrote:Thanks for all the info, guys !

By the time the Sir Precipice Dick version entered the UK singles chart in 1964, I remember the song being already very familiar !

And yet, the Johnny Mathis version which preceded it, was tucked away on the flip of his Chances Are single [& that never charted here either].

It's a mystery !

Thanks, Colin, for that chart (his)story. That's strange, indeed. Could it be that it sounded familiar because it was - partly - based on a (much older) English traditional tune? I'm just guessing. Have you heard of these so-called lullaby's it was (supposedly) derived from? Cheers.
Don't take yourself too seriously ;-)

John

Postby John » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Colin B wrote:Thanks for all the info, guys !

It's a mystery !

I was familiar with the Johnny Mathis version from my days in East Africa. I don't know if it was a hit there, but it was certainly played on the radio a lot. I came to England in mid 1963 and when Cliff's version was released in 1964, it was a familiar song to me. Could it be that it was a radio hit in the UK?

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:22 pm

John wrote:I was familiar with the Johnny Mathis version from my days in East Africa.
I don't know if it was a hit there, but it was certainly played on the radio a lot.
I came to England in mid 1963 and when Cliff's version was released in 1964, it was a familiar song to me.
Could it be that it was a radio hit in the UK?

Yes, I suppose so.

But radio 'hits' usually make a showing on the record charts, even if they are low down.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Return to “First In Line T-Z”