There's a honky tonk angel

Topic author
colonel snow

There's a honky tonk angel

Postby colonel snow » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:53 am

Deleted due to doubts about the information.

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Suspicious Minds

Re: There's a honky tonk angel

Postby Suspicious Minds » Fri May 31, 2019 12:18 am

Troy Seals

40F009A2-4987-4871-9ADA-08983933CF5D.png

Flipside of Seals’ ‘There’s A Honky Tonk Angel’ was ‘Sweet Country Red’. Both tracks were produced by David Briggs.

http://www.45cat.com/record/452951

Here’s a clip of Troy Seals’ original:

https://youtu.be/-S12Ba-MWGw

As mentioned by Colonel Snow, Conway Twitty released a version of the song, in January 1974, as a first single from his album Honky Tonk Angel. The single reached #1 on the U.S. country singles chart.

The song was also recorded by Cliff Richard and released as a single. However, when Richard discovered the ambiguous, raucious slang meaning of a ‘honky tonk angel’, he requested that the single be withdrawn, to which his record label complied.

FE0DFD5E-A0CE-4DFE-835A-56148DF8D5B8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't take yourself too seriously ;-)

John

Postby John » Fri May 31, 2019 8:18 am

Suspicious Minds wrote:Troy Seals

40F009A2-4987-4871-9ADA-08983933CF5D.png
Flipside of Seals’ ‘There’s A Honky Tonk Angel’ was ‘Sweet Country Red’. Both tracks were produced by David Briggs.

http://www.45cat.com/record/452951

Here’s a clip of Troy Seals’ original:

https://youtu.be/-S12Ba-MWGw

As mentioned by Colonel Snow, Conway Twitty released a version of the song, in January 1974, as a first single from his album Honky Tonk Angel. The single reached #1 on the U.S. country singles chart.

The song was also recorded by Cliff Richard and released as a single. However, when Richard discovered the ambiguous, raucious slang meaning of a ‘honky tonk angel’, he requested that the single be withdrawn, to which his record label complied.

FE0DFD5E-A0CE-4DFE-835A-56148DF8D5B8.jpeg

Cliff did allow it's re-release and he also performed it live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1jFw4LxN0E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0q_RWVE4zo

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri May 31, 2019 10:04 am

Suspicious Minds wrote:...The song was also recorded by Cliff Richard and released as a single.
However, when Richard discovered the ambiguous, raucious slang meaning of a ‘honky tonk angel’, he requested that the single be withdrawn, to which his record label complied.

"Please don't buy this evil, salacious record, even though it's my current single release !"

What a C U Next Tuesday...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Fri May 31, 2019 10:08 am

Colin B wrote:
Suspicious Minds wrote:...The song was also recorded by Cliff Richard and released as a single.
However, when Richard discovered the ambiguous, raucious slang meaning of a ‘honky tonk angel’, he requested that the single be withdrawn, to which his record label complied.

"Please don't buy this evil, salacious record, even though it's my current single release !"

He was standing by his beliefs. Nothing wrong with that.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri May 31, 2019 11:22 am

Colin B wrote:"Please don't buy this evil, salacious record, even though it's my current single release !"

John wrote:He was standing by his beliefs. Nothing wrong with that.

How come his 'beliefs' let him record it in the first place ?

If he was ignorant as to the meaning of the lyric, my 'Tuesday' comment is confirmed...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Fri May 31, 2019 12:21 pm

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:"Please don't buy this evil, salacious record, even though it's my current single release !"

John wrote:He was standing by his beliefs. Nothing wrong with that.

How come his 'beliefs' let him record it in the first place ?

If he was ignorant as to the meaning of the lyric, my 'Tuesday' comment is confirmed...

Rubbish Colin. So you're saying that if anyone is ignorant of anything, you can call them nasty names? If that's the case, I'm afraid your "Tuesday" comment says more about you than him.

His initial understanding of a Honky Tonk Angel was a girl who worked or danced in a honky tonk bar. When he found out it was about a prostitute, or a woman or low repute, he didn't want to sing about it due to his religious beliefs. I don't know what his private thoughts about prostitutes are, that's a whole different discussion, but if he felt it was wrong to sing about them, that's his decision.

Have a look at this video from 3'23".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjRpEz68pS0

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri May 31, 2019 12:57 pm

Colin B wrote:What a C U Next Tuesday...
John wrote:He was standing by his beliefs.
Nothing wrong with that.
Colin B wrote:How come his 'beliefs' let him record it in the first place ?
John wrote:Rubbish Colin.
So you're saying that if anyone is ignorant of anything, you can call them nasty names?
If that's the case, I'm afraid your "Tuesday" comment says more about you than him.
His initial understanding of a Honky Tonk Angel was a girl who worked or danced in a honky tonk bar. When he found out it was about a prostitute, or a woman or low repute, he didn't want to sing about it due to his religious beliefs. I don't know what his private thoughts about prostitutes are, that's a whole different discussion, but if he felt it was wrong to sing about them, that's his decision....

To 'ban' his followers from listening to a song with 'disgusting' lyrics - when said song was his own current single makes him look a total cunt, whichever way you look at it !

Then to happily sing it, years later, claiming he "couldn't remember" why he 'banned' it in the first place, just underlines the fact...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Fri May 31, 2019 2:07 pm

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:What a C U Next Tuesday...
John wrote:He was standing by his beliefs.
Nothing wrong with that.
Colin B wrote:How come his 'beliefs' let him record it in the first place ?
John wrote:Rubbish Colin.
So you're saying that if anyone is ignorant of anything, you can call them nasty names?
If that's the case, I'm afraid your "Tuesday" comment says more about you than him.
His initial understanding of a Honky Tonk Angel was a girl who worked or danced in a honky tonk bar. When he found out it was about a prostitute, or a woman or low repute, he didn't want to sing about it due to his religious beliefs. I don't know what his private thoughts about prostitutes are, that's a whole different discussion, but if he felt it was wrong to sing about them, that's his decision....

To 'ban' his followers from listening to a song with 'disgusting' lyrics - when said song was his own current single makes him look a total cunt, whichever way you look at it !

Wow. I am really surprised at you. I have never known you act like this in all the years I have known you. I don't know what's going on, but I'm just lost for words at you using this kind of language.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri May 31, 2019 2:24 pm

John wrote:
Colin B wrote:To 'ban' his followers from listening to a song with 'disgusting' lyrics - when said song was his own current single makes him look a total cunt, whichever way you look at it !
Wow. I am really surprised at you.
I have never known you act like this in all the years I have known you.
I don't know what's going on, but I'm just lost for words at you using this kind of language.

That twit makes me use language that, in normal circumstances, I wouldn't.

I see you omitted the telling bit of my post when you quoted it.

If the lyrics offended his religious principles [when he found out what they meant] what changed to make him happy to sing it years later ?

Did he abandon those principles ?
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Fri May 31, 2019 4:23 pm

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:
Colin B wrote:To 'ban' his followers from listening to a song with 'disgusting' lyrics - when said song was his own current single makes him look a total cunt, whichever way you look at it !
Wow. I am really surprised at you.
I have never known you act like this in all the years I have known you.
I don't know what's going on, but I'm just lost for words at you using this kind of language.

That twit makes me use language that, in normal circumstances, I wouldn't.
I'm not sure how you can feel so strongly about it that it makes you resort to that language.
I see you omitted the telling bit of my post when you quoted it.
That's because I was referring to your language, not the line under it.
If the lyrics offended his religious principles [when he found out what they meant] what changed to make him happy to sing it years later ?
Maybe he became more understanding.
Did he abandon those principles ?
I doubt it.

Return to “First In Line T-Z”