Something

Mojo Filter

Re: Something

Postby Mojo Filter » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:16 pm

colonel snow wrote:I’m not going here into an endless discussion about interpretation what’s an “original”. For me an “original“ is the first recorded version (shelved or not for months-years) and released later on. See “Always on my mind“ and others.

How about “Anything that’s part of you“ written by Don Robertson?
Elvis recorded his version on 15 october 1961. Don Robertson recorded his version on 5 november 1962 (RCA LSP 3348). It’s clear the original was Elvis’ version. The songwriter's demo version is not the original.

colonel snow

What's the Don Robertson song got to do with it? It's a different scenario altogether.

Elvis recorded his version, as you say, in October 61 and it was released February 62. This is months before Robertson recorded his version. So yes, Elvis' version is the original.

The Beatles cut of "Something" was released before Joe Cockers first recording.

So your comparison between the two songs doesn't make any sense.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

John

Postby John » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:11 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:
colonel snow wrote:I’m not going here into an endless discussion about interpretation what’s an “original”. For me an “original“ is the first recorded version (shelved or not for months-years) and released later on. See “Always on my mind“ and others.

Elvis recorded his version on 15 october 1961. Don Robertson recorded his version on 5 november 1962 (RCA LSP 3348). It’s clear the original was Elvis’ version. The songwriter's demo version is not the original.

colonel snow

What's the Don Robertson song got to do with it? It's a different scenario altogether.

Elvis recorded his version, as you say, in October 61 and it was released February 62. This is months before Robertson recorded his version. So yes, Elvis' version is the original.

It makes perfect sense. colonel snow was merely pointing out that for him it's the first recorded version that's the original and he gave an example of “Anything that’s part of you“.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:56 pm

John wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

colonel snow

It makes perfect sense. colonel snow was merely pointing out that for him it's the first recorded version that's the original and he gave an example of “Anything that’s part of you“.

Yes, I know that bit.

But Colonel Snows Don Robertson example (as I've explained in my post you have replied to) doesn't make sense. If Don had of recorded his song first but wasn't released until after Elvis' then that situation would have been the same as the Beatles/Cocker scenario, but it wasn't.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:41 pm

George Harrison's handwritten lyrics for "Something" :

Something.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “First In Line M-S”