Bob TCB
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Re: Elvis in Concert 1977

Postby Bob TCB » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:30 pm

Jukebox wrote:
Bob TCB wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
Bob TCB wrote:I've had this CBS Television special for years. Included on this DVD was bonuses like Elvis backstage and death news reports. But the real reason I wanted this disc was it contained most of the Indy concert, "The Last Farewell." It was all fan shot, but a heartwarming document of the last show.

The real Elvis in a darkened arena and not in front of camera with the lights turned on.
You could tell Elvis was more comfortable without the cameras he knew were filming his every move.

Elvis might have been more comfortable at the Indy concert without the CBS cameras,
but his last performance wasn't done nearly as well as his June 21st show in Rapid City.

Rapid City was slightly better than Omaha, but that was not saying much. Elvis was somewhat subdued because he knew the cameras were there.

Elvis was very "subdued" in Omaha... and it wasn't just because he knew the cameras were there. He appeared to be medicated.

Bob TCB wrote:I realize that Indy was only heard as an audience recording, but I think Elvis was probably inspired to put on a good show
because of Larrie Londin's hard hitting performance on drums. It is if Elvis was as close as he was going to get to arena rock.

A "good show" compared to what... New Haven '76 or Houston (August 28, '76) ?
After "See See Rider" he sounded tired and sluggish in Indy. His versions of "Release Me" & "I Can't Stop Loving You" were slow & deliberate
and were no where close to the magnificent way he performed them just a few years earlier.
"Bridge Over Troubled Water" was also nothing to rave about compared to the way he sang it in 1970 & 1972... or '75.

No matter how hard Larrie Londin pounded on the drums, it wasn't going to magically return Elvis Presley to the years of 1972 - '75.

Bob TCB wrote:I avoid Rapid City as I do the very embarrassing Omaha show.

You're avoiding a handful of very worthy performances.

Sorry Bob TCB, we'll just have to agree to disagree concerning Rapid City & Indy.
It's as if you & I are hearing totally different performances.

That's funny because the Houston Texas matinee show on August 28th 1976 was supposed to have been such a horrible show, but actually wasn't as bad as the derogatory review suggested. The CD is called, "Houston, We Have A Problem" was very interesting because it's obvious that Elvis did not want to be on stage that day, but actually sang very well. He was very quiet in between songs and you can actually hear a female fan telling him how much she loved him. I was surprised how crystal clear the soundboard was. Even though it's not a great show, Elvis at least was clear and on pitch. It was obvious something that FTD missed the opportunity to release. It is way better than New Haven, which has to be one of Elvis worst concerts ever.

Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:30 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote: 1977 My Way beats out 1973 version aloha.

I agree.

cadillac-elvis wrote:1972 MSG You've lost that lovin' feelin' beats out August 1970.

I like them both.

cadillac-elvis wrote:1972 MSG You don't have to say you love me beats out Aug. 1970.

I like them both even though the '72 MSG version is a little rushed.

cadillac-elvis wrote:1974 Memphis I got a woman beats out Aug. 1970 versions.

I like them both.

cadillac-elvis wrote:June 1975 Versions of Burning love beat out 1972 Elvis on tour versions.

I agree... and the main reason is because Elvis wasn't yet familiar/comfortable doing the song live in early '72.
Elvis' version of "Burning Love" from March 20, 1976 is very enthusiastic by Elvis & his band and is one of my favorite live versions.

cadillac-elvis wrote: Just because it's an earlier year, doesn't necessarily mean it's the best version, or better than some later versions.

I already realize that, however, when it comes specifically to "Release Me", "I Can't Stop Loving You" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
the earlier versions are much better due to the fact that Elvis was in much better condition mentally and vocally.

p.s. - I've always liked the Aloha version of "Something" much more than the August 1970 version(s). Go figure.
I'm happy to be an Elvis fan! 8-)

Bob TCB
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Bob TCB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:44 am

Just because it was officially released by RCA, does not automatically mean they captured Elvis's best performance in any year. That is why Elvis bootlegs are so important. They sometimes capture Elvis at his very best. Do you really trust a record company to do a good job with Elvis?

After all, they had plenty of opportunity to release great posthumous Elvis albums from the very beginning of his untimely death in 1977, but instead we got two volume of "Our Memories Of Elvis" "A Canadian Tribute" and "Elvis Sings For Children And Grown Up Too."

Rickeap

Postby Rickeap » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:41 pm

I love the Indy version of Bridge, very emotional. The overall concert was decent, as was Rapid City and Cincinatti. I agree the special was poorly planned and poorly edited

Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Bob TCB wrote:the Houston Texas matinee show on August 28th 1976 was supposed to have been such a horrible show,
but actually wasn't as bad as the derogatory review suggested.

My review would simply be that Elvis sounds as if he's about to fall asleep at any moment during the entire concert.
True that it wasn't a horrible show, but it certainly wasn't up to par to be considered a good show by Elvis Presley standards.

I think if I'd been there I would've been very disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E41tAmyP980

Bob TCB
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Bob TCB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Jukebox wrote:
Bob TCB wrote:the Houston Texas matinee show on August 28th 1976 was supposed to have been such a horrible show,
but actually wasn't as bad as the derogatory review suggested.

My review would simply be that Elvis sounds as if he's about to fall asleep at any moment during the entire concert.
True that it wasn't a horrible show, but it certainly wasn't up to par to be considered a good show by Elvis Presley standards.

I think if I'd been there I would've been very disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E41tAmyP980

Well, we all know that the summer of 1976 was a rough time for Elvis, but he did much better that fall and winter. He even shed a few pounds. I would've have also been disappointed seeing him live during July and August. However, very few give him credit for the rebounds. Instead, they want to still sell the notion that it was all downhill. Then how can anyone explain such a killer concert Elvis performed in Richfield Ohio on October 23nd 1976?

I have really bad performances from other rock acts of the 70's on obviously bad nights on bootlegs, yet it seems that Elvis is the only one that gets criticized. Bands and artists played live in the 70's, even when they were drugged or ill. It was fairly common because they could not cancel gigs. The show still had to go on.Elvis would be just waking up to do matinee shows. Of course the pills would make him groggy during that time because Elvis normally slept during the day. He was a night owl and was awake at night in the 1970's.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:32 pm

Jukebox wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote: 1977 My Way beats out 1973 version aloha.

I agree.

cadillac-elvis wrote:1972 MSG You've lost that lovin' feelin' beats out August 1970.

I like them both.

cadillac-elvis wrote:1972 MSG You don't have to say you love me beats out Aug. 1970.

I like them both even though the '72 MSG version is a little rushed.

cadillac-elvis wrote:1974 Memphis I got a woman beats out Aug. 1970 versions.

I like them both.

cadillac-elvis wrote:June 1975 Versions of Burning love beat out 1972 Elvis on tour versions.

I agree... and the main reason is because Elvis wasn't yet familiar/comfortable doing the song live in early '72.
Elvis' version of "Burning Love" from March 20, 1976 is very enthusiastic by Elvis & his band and is one of my favorite live versions.

cadillac-elvis wrote: Just because it's an earlier year, doesn't necessarily mean it's the best version, or better than some later versions.

I already realize that, however, when it comes specifically to "Release Me", "I Can't Stop Loving You" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
the earlier versions are much better due to the fact that Elvis was in much better condition mentally and vocally.

p.s. - I've always liked the Aloha version of "Something" much more than the August 1970 version(s). Go figure.

Now to really change it up....I prefer the version of "Something" from 1970. but Aloha is real good.
I dont' think there is going to be definitive answer to these types of comparisons because fans
have different tastes and expectations.
I don't think the problem with summer of 1976 was really the matinee's per se, because many of his evening shows were not
up to par either. His voice sounds very horse. I think he had a consistant alergy problem during that summer.
Almost like Vegas throat or something. But having to do afternoon shows certainly didn't help.

yes, you are correct about "Burning love". But also one other aspect is it is said that he didn't care for the song at the time.
But, since he did throw it back into the show in 1975, tells me that he warmed up to it, and began to like it more.

Bob TCB
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Bob TCB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Actually, he had to put "Burning Love" back into the set list in 1975. Fans were requesting the song because it was a huge radio hit. I know that Elvis really did not want to do the song in the first place, but it was one of his biggest 1970's hits. I agree that the previously unreleased version of "Something" from 1970 was better, but the Aloha project had to contain a few songs not on previous live albums. It is like preferring the dress rehearsal "Steamroller Blues" to the version that was actually broadcast. It is just a matter of opinion.

CharlieScarf
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby CharlieScarf » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:58 pm

I think the two In Concert shows arent that bad. The first has the best set list, some wonderful performances, but Elvis isn't with it. The second is business as usual.

"My Way" is the best performance of this song he ever gave in my opinion.

"Are You Lonesome Tonight" was always a comedy number and in the infamous Rapid City version, Elvis didn't make a single mistake, he knew exactly what he was saying - it was a comedy act and he didn't forget a single word. He looked awful, but that opera version of "Unchained Melody,,," wow. Not conventional or to everyones taste, but great vocalisation.
"We'll bring in The Supremes tomorrow night... Mahalia Jackson singing Lead..."

Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:42 pm

Bob TCB wrote:Well, we all know that the summer of 1976 was a rough time for Elvis .... they want to still sell the notion that it was all downhill.
Then how can anyone explain such a killer concert Elvis performed in Richfield, Ohio on October 23rd 1976?

Informed fans realize it wasn't all downhill from August 1975 -to- August 1977... more like a rough, unpredictable roller coaster ride.

CharlieScarf wrote:I think the two In Concert shows aren't that bad.
The first has the best set list, some wonderful performances, but Elvis isn't with it.

As to which show had the better set list, that can be debated based on personal preference, but there were more "wonderful performances" that came from the second show. That's why most of the footage used in the tv special was from the second show... which included "My Way".

Bob TCB
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Bob TCB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:23 am

Jukebox wrote:
Bob TCB wrote:Well, we all know that the summer of 1976 was a rough time for Elvis .... they want to still sell the notion that it was all downhill.
Then how can anyone explain such a killer concert Elvis performed in Richfield, Ohio on October 23rd 1976?

Informed fans realize it wasn't all downhill from August 1975 -to- August 1977... more like a rough, unpredictable roller coaster ride.

CharlieScarf wrote:I think the two In Concert shows aren't that bad.
The first has the best set list, some wonderful performances, but Elvis isn't with it.

As to which show had the better set list, that can be debated based on personal preference, but there were more "wonderful performances" that came from the second show. That's why most of the footage used in the tv special was from the second show... which included "My Way".

And yet, uninformed people write books and the information gets passed down every ten years as reality. They mock Elvis fans as being fanatics and blind. That can get extremely annoying, especially when it keeps getting repeated, over and over again like a broken record. Of course, Elvis used "Are You Lonesome Tonight" as a comedy routine, going back to Las Vegas in 1969. He did not forget the words. I agree that Elvis was unpredictable on stage, but the bunk that it was all downhill after 1973 is still being told as factual information. It's like the misinformation that Elvis robbed blacks of their songs and kept the money for himself. I keep on reading that on the internet. I suppose Elvis stole great African American masterpieces like "Kissin' Cousins" "Do The Clam" "Confidence" and "Yoga Is As Yoga Does" denying them of their hard earned work.

Return to “Everything Elvis”