Rock 'n' roll No. 2 - Mono II Stereo

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
John

Rock 'n' roll No. 2 - Mono II Stereo

Postby John » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:47 pm

You can hear samples here. They sound mighty good to me, but I hope the sleeve does not say So Glad Yourre Mine, or miss those other apostrophes out on Hows and Dont.

https://www.rdm-edition.fr/en/cd-vinyl/ ... results=52

Nolan Truth

Re: Rock 'n' roll No. 2 - Mono II Stereo

Postby Nolan Truth » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:44 am

John wrote:You can hear samples here. They sound mighty good to me, but I hope the sleeve does not say So Glad Yourre Mine, or miss those other apostrophes out on Hows and Dont.

Ronnie Tutt is missing too, but they did spell Presley correctly.
Nolan is here, with the truth!

Topic author
John

Postby John » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:04 am

Nolan Truth wrote:
John wrote:You can hear samples here. They sound mighty good to me, but I hope the sleeve does not say So Glad Yourre Mine, or miss those other apostrophes out on Hows and Dont.

Ronnie Tutt is missing too, but they did spell Presley correctly.

Using AI, can we dub Ronnie on?

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:49 am

They show a pic of the rear of the sleeve, listing the tracks, & the errors are gone.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
John

Postby John » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:36 pm

Colin B wrote:

They show a pic of the rear of the sleeve, listing the tracks, & the errors are gone.

Yes, I knew they wouldn't be there given that Tony is keeping a close watch on this.

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:51 pm

Colin B wrote:

No theyrre not.

IMG_1699.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nolan is here, with the truth!

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:50 pm

Colin B wrote:

Nolan Truth wrote:No theyrre not.

Yes they are:

Rock 'n' Roll No. 2 - Stereo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:52 pm

The song "Love Me Tender" was already available in original stereo... ;)

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:36 pm

I went to the RDM site and tried to buy the two volumes. It says €15 each with €7 postage, and I thought "Ok, I can afford that" but when I went to checkout the postage rocketed to something stupid like €25 so I came off the site.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:27 pm

Richard wrote:I went to the RDM site and tried to buy the two volumes. It says €15 each with €7 postage, and I thought "Ok, I can afford that" but when I went to checkout the postage rocketed to something stupid like €25 so I came off the site.

I'll check this out.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:00 am

John wrote:
Richard wrote:I went to the RDM site and tried to buy the two volumes. It says €15 each with €7 postage, and I thought "Ok, I can afford that" but when I went to checkout the postage rocketed to something stupid like €25 so I came off the site.

I'll check this out.

The other strange thing is that it was originally showing the price for each as €12.50, then it went up to €15.00, and now they're back to €12.50. All in the space of a day.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:10 am

Richard wrote:
John wrote:

I'll check this out.

The other strange thing is that it was originally showing the price for each as €12.50, then it went up to €15.00, and now they're back to €12.50. All in the space of a day.

I've sent you a PM.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:11 pm

It would seem that the entire catalogue of Elvis' mono recordings could be given the 'stereo' treatment !

Can't wait !
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
John

Postby John » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:37 pm

Colin B wrote:It would seem that the entire catalogue of Elvis' mono recordings could be given the 'stereo' treatment !

Can't wait !

Oh yes. The sooner, the better.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:03 pm

This is a beauty. I'm enjoying the mono to stereo tracks here. It sure shows you how simple these recordings were. Old DJ keeps such a steady beat, hardly ever introducing anything innovative, with the exception of the machine gun on Hound Dog. That track in itself is amazing as you can clearly hear all the different components and Elvis pronouncing Cryin' as Crahin'. I've never noticed this on the mono version, although I hear it now, as it exposes a slight flaw of some kind on Elvis' vocal at 1'41" on "well that was just a lie". I'm not sure what it is. There is a very slight difference in the volume of his voice, which is hidden on the original mono version. Maybe he just moved away from the microphone for a second.

So Glad You're Mine is great and DJ comes a bit alive on this, but mainly sticks with a straightforward beat. I still can't identify that squeak on So Glad You're Mine, and I'm even more convinced that that's a sloppy splice on How's The World Treating you where the vocal comes back in after the instrumental.

You can certainly hear one or two mistakes that were covered up by the mono versions.

Quite a few of these were released on "Mono to Stereo - The Complete RCA Studio Masters 1956 (MRS)", and it's interesting to compare the differences and how the songs have been treated. The MRS versions are heavier, louder and often have a very different mix to the RDM versions. I guess it will be down to your own preference which version you'll go with. The main point for me is the advance in the technology. It's a million miles away from the reprocessed rubbish we had from whenever it was. These now sound like they were recorded as stereo tracks and aren't drenched in echo.

Rock 'n' Roll No 2 (mono to stereo) Front.jpg
Rock 'n' Roll No 2 (mono to stereo) Back.jpg

Return to “Everything Elvis”