Dionne Warwick met Elvis in 1969!.

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
Tulsa Mclean

Dionne Warwick met Elvis in 1969!.

Postby Tulsa Mclean » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:55 am

Just read in the news that Dionne Warwick met Elvis back in 1969 in Las Vegas at the opening show July 31st! 8-).

"Oh my goodness. First of all, looking at that man was overwhelming," Warwick began. "I never seen a man that pretty in my life."

Have a nice reading on the press release ;).

https://us.yahoo.com/entertainment/dion ... 27805.html

Dionne Warwick signed autographs at the opening of Elvis Presley's show at the International Hotel in Las Vegas, 1969.
Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

John

Re: Dionne Warwick met Elvis in 1969!.

Postby John » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:36 pm

Tulsa Mclean wrote:Just read in the news that Dionne Warwick met Elvis back in 1969 in Las Vegas at the opening show July 31st! 8-).

"Oh my goodness. First of all, looking at that man was overwhelming," Warwick began. "I never seen a man that pretty in my life."

Have a nice reading on the press release ;).

https://us.yahoo.com/entertainment/dion ... 27805.html

Dionne Warwick signed autographs at the opening of Elvis Presley's show at the International Hotel in Las Vegas, 1969.

This has been well known about for many years.

Axeman517

Postby Axeman517 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:19 pm

That story about putting his photos in her album smells like horse manure.

John

Postby John » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:35 pm

Axeman517 wrote:That story about putting his photos in her album smells like horse manure.

Why?

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:01 pm

Not surprising since she is related to Sissy Houston. If I recall, she is Whitney Houston's aunt.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:33 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:Not surprising since she is related to Sissy Houston.
If I recall, she is Whitney Houston's aunt.

Emily "Cissy" Houston is the mother of singer and actress Whitney Houston, the aunt of singers Dionne Warwick &
Dee Dee Warwick, & a cousin of opera singer Leontyne Price.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Axeman517

Postby Axeman517 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:37 pm

John wrote:
Axeman517 wrote:That story about putting his photos in her album smells like horse manure.

Why?

There are several things about that story that make no sense.

First, she was pretty popular at this time and didn't exactly need help selling records. But she'd have us believe that Elvis sent his guys traipsing all over Las Vegas, going into record stores, unsealing her albums to insert a photo (and then presumably reseal them?)... just so Elvis fans could go spend $5 on a Dionne album to get a photo they likely could've gotten at the souivenir booth for $1...

Also, barring a special audit/inquiry, how on earth could she possibly know how many albums she sold in a particular city at a particular time?

Sounds like a whole lot of "embellishment" in her statement to me.

John

Postby John » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:12 pm

Axeman517 wrote:
John wrote:

Why?

There are several things about that story that make no sense.

First, she was pretty popular at this time and didn't exactly need help selling records. But she'd have us believe that Elvis sent his guys traipsing all over Las Vegas, going into record stores, unsealing her albums to insert a photo (and then presumably reseal them?)... just so Elvis fans could go spend $5 on a Dionne album to get a photo they likely could've gotten at the souivenir booth for $1...

Also, barring a special audit/inquiry, how on earth could she possibly know how many albums she sold in a particular city at a particular time?

Sounds like a whole lot of "embellishment" in her statement to me.

I can't speak for the States but back in the 60s/70s, none of the albums I bought in England were sealed. You could slide the record out of the sleeve and look at it to check it.

I don't know how many record stores there were in Vegas, but I can't imagine there were hundreds, or even dozens, and I'm sure they kept records of how many albums they sold by any particular artist purely so that they knew if they needed to re-order them.

I'm not saying her story is made up, but then again, maybe it isn't.

Axeman517

Postby Axeman517 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:47 pm

John wrote:I can't speak for the States but back in the 60s/70s, none of the albums I bought in England were sealed. You could slide the record out of the sleeve and look at it to check it.

I don't know how many record stores there were in Vegas, but I can't imagine there were hundreds, or even dozens, and I'm sure they kept records of how many albums they sold by any particular artist purely so that they knew if they needed to re-order them.

I didn't know that about albums in England, but in the states, they were shrinkwrapped.

Let's say there were ten record stores in Vegas. They certainly knew when they needed to re-order, but unless she went to all the stores herself to check their stock, or initiated an audit from her label, how could she possibly know there was a surge in album sales locally during that week? Seems awfully fishy to me.

I think a lot of artists exaggerate (or sometimes fabricate altogether) their interaction with Elvis these days.

John

Postby John » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:15 pm

Axeman517 wrote:
John wrote:I can't speak for the States but back in the 60s/70s, none of the albums I bought in England were sealed. You could slide the record out of the sleeve and look at it to check it.

I didn't know that about albums in England, but in the states, they were shrinkwrapped.

Let's say there were ten record stores in Vegas. They certainly knew when they needed to re-order, but unless she went to all the stores herself to check their stock, or initiated an audit from her label, how could she possibly know there was a surge in album sales locally during that week? Seems awfully fishy to me.

I think a lot of artists exaggerate (or sometimes fabricate altogether) their interaction with Elvis these days.

That's possible, but I don't know that someone like Dionne Warwick would need to do that. Anyway, I wasn't there, so I'll never know, or care.

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:30 am

I don't think dionne would have any reason to make up stories. She comes across as a very friendly easy going lady.
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

HillbillyCat

Postby HillbillyCat » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:15 am

! Message from: HillbillyCat
"lost month" reconstruction posting!

March 15, 2024
As far as I remember, Private Presley had posted an interesting color version of the picture here (sorry, I didn't save it). Another user pointed out that it must be a colorized version because Elvis was wearing a red shirt in the picture that one of the fans is holding (and not green-brownish as in the colorized picture).

Here is the original picture of Elvis that confirms this:

(Source: https://rockhurstauctions.com/lot-6965.aspx)
1968 NBC Special Promo Shot.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:49 pm

In the USA LP's were sealed. If a store ordered 100 copies of an LP and after months sold 80, they could return the surplus 20 and get refunded.
Each LP had an order number with a letter(s) prefix, like LPM, LSP, CAL, CAS, LOC and each letter prefix indicated the standard price for that range.
There was the monthly Schwann catalogue listing all these prefixes and related price tag plus a list of new releases in all fields, pop, jazz, classical, etcetera.
If after a while the record company wanted to clear their stock i.e. titles were deleted from the catalogue, they punched a hole through sleeve and record, the so-called "cut out". Recordshops could buy these LP"s at a bargain price but did not have the opportunity to return unsold stock.
You guess right, the cut-out was to make sure the record company did not get the records back and refund anything, let alone the full price.
Since all stock LP's in shops were sealed I doubt anyone could insert a photo.

John

Postby John » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:02 pm

Yin Yang wrote:In the USA LP's were sealed. If a store ordered 100 copies of an LP and after months sold 80, they could return the surplus 20 and get refunded.
Each LP had an order number with a letter(s) prefix, like LPM, LSP, CAL, CAS, LOC and each letter prefix indicated the standard price for that range.
There was the monthly Schwann catalogue listing all these prefixes and related price tag plus a list of new releases in all fields, pop, jazz, classical, etcetera.
If after a while the record company wanted to clear their stock i.e. titles were deleted from the catalogue, they punched a hole through sleeve and record, the so-called "cut out". Recordshops could buy these LP"s at a bargain price but did not have the opportunity to return unsold stock.
You guess right, the cut-out was to make sure the record company did not get the records back and refund anything, let alone the full price.

I may have mentioned before, the records I used to buy were not sealed. You could slide the LP out and have a look at the condition before buying. I don't know when this sealing business came in.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:21 pm

John wrote:
Yin Yang wrote:In the USA LP's were sealed. If a store ordered 100 copies of an LP and after months sold 80, they could return the surplus 20 and get refunded.

I may have mentioned before, the records I used to buy were not sealed. You could slide the LP out and have a look at the condition before buying. I don't know when this sealing business came in.

l
Since the fabrication of LP's this happened in the USA. Outside the USA LP's were not sealed,except special releases that were sold in magazines/bookshops in The Netherlands (and perhaps other West-European countries).
These shops each week received an x number of weekly or monthly magazines, which if unsold at the end of the week or month could be returned for a refund.
One of those magazines started to release LP's that were sold at a nice price but mainly contained old hits of the artist concerned.
Later on other magazines followed and when the copyright for recordings from 1956 expired in 1982 everybody could release LP's. That is where all those "Danish" rock and roll picture discs came from. The copyright was expired in Denmark, but not in The Netherlands. But hey, it is legal to import!
(when in fact they were not pressed in Denmark as stated, but in The Netherlands, although the composer's rights were paid in Denmark.
An artist like Shakin' Stevens gets mad when he sees a "Danish" or "Swiss" release of his recordings as Shakin' Stevens &The Sunsets offered for sale on eBay, even though according to European law these release were legitime.
The flood of Elvis releases was halted when Priscilla Presley and BMG Germany (RCA) filed a lawsuit and won. The copyright was extended to 70 years after the death of the artist. So now the market is swamped with multiple CD boxes for peanuts of dead jazz artists from the 1940's and earlier.

Return to “Everything Elvis”