Elvis and the Colonel book by Greg McDonald & Marshall Terrill

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
John

Elvis and the Colonel book by Greg McDonald & Marshall Terrill

Postby John » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:13 pm

It's every teenage boy's fantasy dilemma. If you meet the biggest rock star in the world, and he's sunbathing with a gorgeous blonde who is completely naked… where do you look first?

Read all about it here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... evens.html

Nolan Truth

Re: Elvis and the Colonel book by Greg McDonald & Marshall Terrill

Postby Nolan Truth » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:22 am

John wrote:It's every teenage boy's fantasy dilemma. If you meet the biggest rock star in the world, and he's sunbathing with a gorgeous blonde who is completely naked… where do you look first?

Read all about it here:

Many questions about this book, before asked, are answered here:

Brian Rothbart review of Elvis and the Colonel An Insider's Look at the Most Legendary Partnership in Show Business 12.8.2023.pdf

12/8/2023
Brian Rothbart’s review of “Elvis and the Colonel: An Insider's Look at the Most Legendary Partnership in Show Business” by Greg McDonald and Marshall Terrill.
Apologies for this is a lot longer than I had anticipated. I’m not sure if what I have written is considered “spoilers”, but I will let the reader decide that. It will save you the cost of buying the book. So, you are welcome.
First, let me say that when I first heard about this book and read the description, I did not have high hopes. Since I had never heard of Greg McDonald, I was a little skeptical in exactly what he was aware of other than what the Colonel told him. Also, since he had such a close relationship with the Colonel (the Colonel supposedly allowed him to stay at his home so he could finish school) I wasn’t sure we would get an honest look and instead get a one sided, glorification of the Colonel. My initial thoughts were correct.
McDonald is an unreliable narrator who gives no sources to back up his claims. He doesn’t even give the year when he first met Elvis and the Colonel, and as we will see there is an issue with what he says. However, there are lots of errors or “stories” that are hard to believe that ever happened as retold in the book, but we will get to those later.
I was hoping that the book would contain at least pictures and copies of contracts, letters, etc. However, there are only two photos, three if you count the photo on the cover. One is of Elvis and the Colonel. The second is of the author, his wife, and the Colonel dressed as Santa. There are no copies of letters that he mentions in the book or copies of the contracts, etc.
The book can be divided into two parts. Chapters one through 12, which is more of a biography of the Colonel’s life, stories that I assume came directly from what Colonel told the author. We all know how unreliable the Colonel can be in his stories and claims. He also says that the Dutch “are extremely private people.”(p. 31) so why would the Colonel tell him these things?
Chapters 13 through 24 are during the time when the author first met Elvis and the Colonel and could therefore have firsthand knowledge of what happened during that time. Although, McDonald says that he didn’t work for the Colonel during Elvis concert tours of the 70s. Also, I’m never quite sure what he did for the Colonel other than drive him between Palm Spring and LA.
The first half of the book is very schmaltzy and sappy in the telling of the Colonel’s early life. It is not well written and feels clunky and geared toward young adults. For example, he says “his only pair of shoes had huge holes in the soles. He wrapped his feet in newspaper, and stuffed them in his shoes to keep them warm.” (p.29) He also tells two other tales that seem far-fetched that are described below. In the second half of the book there are a few interesting things. One is the meeting with the Beatles. The second is regarding the Colonel and how he marketed Elvis’ Vegas and tours.
I don’t think the narrative that the Colonel was the “devil” is quite accurate. He did a lot of great things for Elvis’ career in the early days and Elvis and Colonel both helped to change the world. The Colonel couldn’t have accomplished the things he did without having a client as talented and special as Elvis. Elvis, on the other hand, might not have been propelled as quickly as he was without the help from the one of the greatest promoters in history. And the Colonel’s marketing and merchandising of Elvis was genius. However, this rosy picture is not based on reality. The Colonel also did some questionable things and was a much better promoter than manager. His number one goal was money. Of course, Elvis had the power to
Page | 1

12/8/2023
take on the Colonel and sometimes he did. However, the Colonel knew how to manipulate Elvis, and Vernon, and play into their fears regarding money and fame. But, like Elvis, the Colonel was loyal. He might have thought since money is the most important thing, he was really doing what was in Elvis’ best interest. The Colonel might have thought he did a lot for Elvis and Elvis owed him more than he deserved. He was not necessarily evil (unless he was a murderer), but he was no saint by any means.
This book is described as “An Insider’s Look at the Most Legendary Partnership in the Show Business.” However, that is far from the truth. You get very little insight, unreliable stories, and numerous factual errors. Here is a list of things that McDonald doesn’t discuss or mention, address adequately, or dubious statements or events in the book:
• There is no mention of the Colonel blacklisting Leiber and Stoller or how he ended that relationship because he felt threatened by the duo.
• He doesn’t mention the Colonel influence in Elvis’ early relationships e.g., Barbara Hearn, June Juanico, etc.
• He dismisses that the Colonel played any role or had anything to do with Elvis being drafted because the Colonel said “Now why would a manager who has millions invested in a client want to have that client drafted? That would be crazy.” (p. 118) However, there are a number of reasons why the Colonel would have wanted Elvis drafted at that time. His number one goal was promotion, and we know that the Colonel saw promoting Elvis as being the upstanding citizen who served his country as a way to help change his image and thus bringing him to a wider audience.
• The author makes no mention of the Colonel’s role in the press and photos of Elvis and Vernon after Glady’s funeral.
• No mention of why the Colonel didn’t visit Elvis in Germany.
• There is no mention of Larry Geller being ousted and the burning of Elvis’ spiritual books.
• There is no mention of how the Colonel manipulated Elvis’ music or why Elvis couldn’t get the best
material because of publishing rights. Elvis could have fought this, but with movies there was not
enough time to get better material for a wider selection of writers.
• There is no mention of Elvis being depressed. I know it was a different time, but he was obviously
clinically depressed. Also does not discuss Elvis’ many health issues.
• The author doesn’t mention how much Elvis hated singing to a live hound dog on the Steve Allen Show.
(p. 13)
• The author tells two stories. First, he was beaten by a gang of bullies. “He was lost, hurt, and hungry.” It
began to rain and he asked a Black family if he could sleep on their porch, they were gracious enough to bring him inside where his wounds were cleaned and he was fed. After leaving the house he was met by a White mob who yelled, “[N-word] lover!” and savagely beat him. (pp. 26-27) It might have happened, but it all seems far-fetched and not very believable. Something out of a movie. I’m sure the Colonel might have told this story, but I suspect there isn’t any truth in it.
• The author says, the Colonel “wasn’t even a hustler.” However, he goes on about how smart the Colonel was in his “hustling”. (p. 31)
• The author mentions that the Colonel was adopted by owners of the Parker Pony Rides. “They ventured down to the courthouse in the small town in Georgia where they were working and filled out the necessary paperwork.” He then goes on to say that this is how the Colonel got his last name “Parker.” (pp.31-37) Are there records of this? If so, why hasn’t anyone else said anything since it has been said that he got the name Tom Parker from the name of the army officer who interviewed him. Also, why
Page | 2

12/8/2023
would a couple adopt an 18-year-old kid? Also, according to the book, the Colonel goes back to Europe (he did) traveling around before deciding to come back to the US. However, he states that during that time when he decided to return that it was hard for immigrants because recently passed immigration laws, and that “immigrants had to find an American sponsor . . . .“ Wait, wasn’t he adopted? Didn’t he have someone who could sponsor him? Anyway, there is never any mention that the Colonel ever visited his “adopted” parents again.
• Young Parker is said to have lots of wanderlust. (p. 36) Why did it suddenly stop? Why didn’t he visit Elvis in Germany? Why not visit his family in Holland? Why not take Elvis overseas? He was supposedly a great admirer of the Far East.
• The author makes no mention of the Colonel going AWOL, being put in solitary confinement, and then sent to Walter Reed Hospital. He just says military records were destroyed in a fire, which is true or were either lost. (p. 44). However, in Alanna Nash’s book, “The Colonel: The Extraordinary Story of Colonel Tom Parker and Elvis,” she says that after “nearly a two-year search for Parker’s army records, aided by the Freedom of Information Act, finally yielded a glimmer of what Parker feared would be known . . . .The discharge document and final pay vouchers contained in the file, combined with ancillary records (such as morning reports and unit rosters found elsewhere) begin to frame a far clearer picture of Tome Parker than anyone has ever seen. . . . Records show that his commanding officer marked his 140-day AWOL as lost time without wages. Then he added sixty days more: for two months, Private Parker would be placed in solitary confinement in the guardhouse jail on the post. . . . On June 19, 1933, Private Thomas Parker, having taken leave of his senses, was removed from the guarded lockup ward and sent to Walter Reed Army Medical Center . . . .” (Nash pp. 79-83)
• The author makes no mention of how the Colonel screwed Hank Snow, who said, "I have worked with several managers over the years and have had respect for them all except one. Tom Parker (he refuses to recognize the title Colonel) was the most egotistical, obnoxious human being I've ever had dealings with."
• The Colonel used to send Elvis money without Vernon knowing. (P. 110) How did Elvis cash the check? Wouldn’t it need to show up on taxes? It is nit-picky, but it doesn’t make sense other than to show how great the Colonel was.
• According to the author, Lyndon Baines Johnson (LBJ) asked the Colonel if he should accept the VP nomination and that the Colonel gave him the slogan, “All the Way with LBJ.” However, it was based on the Adlai Stevenson’s slogan, “All the Way with Adlai.” (p. 128) (https://www.history.com/news/presidenti ... gn-slogans)
“During the 1964 US presidential campaign, he ‘loaned’” his business stationery logo (old-fashioned covered wagon), “gifting him with a thirteen-inch, hard-carved wagon that doubled as a lamp and carried the words All the Way With LBJ on its cloth tenting.” (Nash book p. 100) Could this be what the author was referring to?
• The Colonel bought flowers for Glady’s grave and sent pictures to Elvis. (p. 129) He probably charged Elvis for the flowers and photos.
• The author says that Elvis was afraid to release “Are You Lonesome Tonight” because “he thought fans might not like it because of the narrative in the middle of the song . . . .” (p. 135). However, this makes no sense as Elvis liked songs that contained spoken parts. However, there is truth that Elvis grew frustrated singing the difficult song and wanted to abandon it, but was persuaded by Steve Sholes to re-record the ending and they spliced two take together.
Page | 3

12/8/2023
(https://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/2 ... -became-a-
hit/#:~:text=Such%20was%20almost%20the%20case,not%20wish%20to%20finish%20it.
• The author talks about meeting Elvis and Colonel on a hot summer day sometime in the 1960s. He
doesn’t give a year, so it is hard to totally verify. However, he talks about Elvis renting Jack Warner’s estate and that Elvis and some blonde woman (who was nude) were hanging out by the pool. This sounds very strange as Elvis usually had the guys around him so be alone with some woman sounds strange. Who was this woman? Elvis and McDonald then have this conversation about Oral Roberts and the Assembly of God church, and then Elvis calls the Colonel to tell him that he must meet this kid. So, he goes over to the Colonel’s house and the Colonel takes a liking to him. So much so that he invites him to live with him so McDonald can go and finish school. (p. 146-153)
o Elvis, I believe, first stayed in Palm Springs in 1966, but stayed the “Honeymoon House” or “House of Tomorrow” (1350 Ladera Circle).
o Elvis rented Warner’s house in 1973.
o TheColonelownedhishomeinPalmSpringsstartingin1963(1166N.VistaVespero). o Jack Warner’s estate was built in 1958 (Old Las Palmas W. Via Lola and N. Cabrillo Rd.) o On Greg MacDonald’s LinkedIn page, he has that he stated at All Star Shows in January
(https://visitpalmsprings.com/viva-palm- springs/#:~:text=Elvis's%20Manager%2C%20Colonel%20Tom%20Parker,and%20honeymoo n%20in%20Palm%20Springs) (https://www.palmspringslife.com/best-si ... m-springs/)
• Another tidbit that is a little hard to swallow is that Elvis was invited to a dinner party thrown by Marilyn Monroe, but Elvis did not get the invitation because whoever took the message never gave it to Elvis. (pp. 155-156) This seems unbelievable on several levels. First, I’m not even sure Monroe threw dinner parties, but why would she invite Elvis? They were 10 years apart in age and I believe they only met fleeting by passing each other on a movie lot. Second, why wouldn’t the person give the message to Elvis? It isn’t something you would have forgotten, and I think one of the guys would like to have the chance to meet Ms. Monroe. If there was an invitation, it was probably received by the Colonel or one of Elvis’ girlfriends. Giving a year would help establish if Ms. Monroe might have invited Elvis to a dinner party.
• The author describes a time that producer Jerry Wald, “told the Colonel that he had a script for his client that practically assured him the Oscar.” However, the Colonel kills the deal because Elvis’ salary would have to be lowered. Does the Colonel ask for him to send the script? (pp. 161-162) Does he bring this to Elvis? No, he doesn’t. The author makes it sound as if the Colonel was smart in this decision and not being a manager and working for his client. He knew Elvis wanted to be an actor and have a real, good role.
• The author says that Elvis wouldn’t work outdoor arenas because of sound. (p.166) This is mentioned on why Elvis didn’t do tours in the 1960s. However, this is not true at all as he did several concerts outside. The reason he didn’t tour in the 60s is that he was stuck doing pictures and there really wasn’t any other time to do tours. I think he also mentions this because it is one of the reasons that has been given for why Elvis never toured overseas.
• The author quotes the Colonel saying, “I don’t read the scripts . . . .” (p. 169) This is a good thing? Agreeing to do a picture without reading the scripts?
Page | 4

12/8/2023
• The author mentions that Truman Capote recalls Elvis Presley giving him a dinner party, “the only dinner party I’ve ever heard of his giving, in Las Vegas.” This was supposedly sometime in the early 1970s. The author does say that Capote was known to tell tall tales so who knows if it is true.
(p. 170) However, why not ask the Colonel? Or wouldn’t he have heard about it?
• The author tries to say that the Colonel was not thinking about publicity when he sent telegrams to the Beatles that were read on tv by hosts like Ed Sullivan. (pp. 172-173). I’m sure he also did it as a nice gesture, but he was doing it to also get Elvis’ name out there. Even if it was to show that Elvis wasn’t threatened by them, etc.
• The author says that he was driving around Beverly Hills and pulled up to Elvis at a stoplight at Sunset Boulevard and Beverly Drive who was on a motorcycle with Natalie Wood (p. 188) This also seems dubious as Elvis and Natalie had hung out, but that was in Memphis in the 1950s. Please let me know if there was any mention of them hanging out in the 1960s.
• “Elvis, if you go back out on the road and you don’t sell out, you’re no longer the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll.” (p.195) That might be true, but it is a horrible thing to say. Also, isn’t the Colonel the greatest promoter in the world according to the author? So, shouldn’t he be able to sell tickets to Elvis who hadn’t performed in a number of years? You could argue that it might be hard to sell out 10,000 seat arenas, but he basically did that and more in Las Vegas as he packed a 2,000-seat for 57 shows where 101,500 people saw him perform.
• The author does not mention the controversy over the 1968 “Comeback Special.” He does mention that the Colonel was worried that since it wasn’t a Christmas show that if it didn’t do well, they would be sued, but no mention of his mischief trying to derail what Binder and Elvis wanted to do. And no mention of whatever shenanigans the Colonel did regarding tickets. (p. 196)
• The author says that after the 68 “Comeback Special”, the Colonel yelled “Where’s my boy?” and Elvis came out of his dressing room and the Colonel gave him a big hug. (p.196) I think he is confusing this with after his first Las Vegas show in 1969. According to Peter Guralnick in “Carless Love” that after the recording Elvis said, “Tell the Colonel I want to talk to him.” He then said he wanted to tour again. (Guralnick p. 317)
• The author discusses recording at American Sound Studio and specifically “Suspicious Minds”, but not how upset the Colonel was about it being recorded as they didn’t own the publishing rights. (pp. 197-198) The Colonel “
In fact, there is no mention or discussion about Elvis not getting the best material because he was only brought stuff that they had the publishing rights. This is something that Elvis could have ignored, but it would still have been a problem for songs
written for the movies and the reason for some of his worst recordings.
• The author says that during the August 12, 1970 dinner show in Vegas the Colonel boosted Elvis over a makeshift barricade that was constructed for the filming on Elvis: That’s the Way It Is. (p.
219) This might have happened. Has anyone heard about this?
• The author said that Vernon was mad that the Colonel was giving out bonuses after tours.
Therefore, Vernon had Elvis call and talk to the Colonel about the bonuses. (p.235) This doesn’t seem like a thing Elvis would worry himself about or call the Colonel. I could see Vernon making this stink, if the money was coming out of Elvis’ pocket, which it really shouldn’t be if the Colonel was giving bonuses to his people.
threatened to stop Elvis’ recording. However, Elvis went ahead with his
recording against Colonel Parker’s issues.” (https://americansongwriter.com/behind-the-song-
suspicious-minds-by-elvis-presley/)
Page | 5

12/8/2023
• The author says that the first concert he ever promoted was Sonny and Cher in 1966, during his junior year in high school. He says that he was able to get them cheap ($750) because they were a few years past their “I Got You Babe” prime. (pp.244-245). However, “I Got You Babe” came out in 1965 and they were still quite big in 1966. It was around 1968 that they were starting to fade and becoming more of a joke. Could it be 1968? However, this seems a weird thing to get wrong.
• The author says he didn’t work with the Colonel during Elvis’ touring years. (p. 246). Since he gives no dates, I’m not sure when he actually worked for the Colonel or when he first met him. It was obviously sometime in the 1960s when he moved in with the Colonel so he could go to school. However, I’m still not sure what he did for the Colonel other than drive him places.
• The author says that the Colonel was against selling Elvis’ back catalog, which seems to be true. He also negotiated a new seven-year contract with RCA. (p. 259-261) However, according to Nash’s book, after the sale the Colonel demanded a new management agreement. “All income from Elvis’ recordings would be divided 50-50 from the first dollar, meaning Presley and Parker were now locked into a pure and equal partnership.” (p. 426) it I’m not sure whose idea it was, but it seems that the Colonel made out a lot better out on the deal with subsequent contracts that were negotiated. “In the end, RCA paid the pair $10.5 million. Of that, $6 million would go to the Colonel, and $4.5 million to Elvis.” (Nash p. 426)
• The author says that the Colonel “got so frustrated that tears would well up in his eyes. He and Elvis had been through so much and had come such a distance together; he was now unable to help Elvis, try as he may.” (p. 264)
• The author gives one of the reasons for Elvis’ decline was for a “growing lack of interest in his career after peaking on “Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii.” (p. 266) However, he doesn’t mention why the Colonel didn’t try to get him something that would inspire and/or test him like a movie or travel overseas. He states that the Colonel wanted Elvis to take some time off, but Elvis couldn’t because of his debt. However, the Colonel turned down a lot of money for Elvis to travel overseas. The author discusses how the Colonel squashed a concert in Japan that would have paid Elvis $1 million. (p. 300)
• The author discusses how Elvis fired the Colonel after a Vegas show (September 5, 1973) and how the Colonel sent Elvis his resignation agreement that Elvis never signed. The Colonel knew that Elvis couldn’t afford the $5 million that he said Elvis owed him. (p. 270-271). The author also says that another reason that Elvis didn’t fire the Colonel was because “no one wanted to touch Elvis Presley. He was seen as unpredictable and difficult to handle.” (pp. 273-274) This is just laughable.
• The author says that Elvis used to have the houselights turned up during his concerts because “the Colonel made a promise to Elvis that every ticket in every venue would be sold out, and if Elvis saw an empty seat anywhere, he could walk offstage with his blessing.” (p. 288) Hogwash. First, Elvis had trouble seeing past the first few rows. Second, seats could be empty for any number of reasons. All Elvis would need to do is ask for the ticket sales, etc. to see if shows were selling out. Third, Elvis would not just walk off the stage because a few seats weren’t sold. Finally, it makes it seem that the reason Elvis’ shows were sold out was because of the Colonel’s marketing and not because of Elvis.
• The author says the 1976 contract between Elvis and the Colonel was “not very profitable for Colonel Parker being based on what was left over after Elvis’ touring expenses, and sometimes there was nothing left.” (pp. 288-289) However, he contradicts that statement by reporting numerous times what Elvis and the Colonel made from either a tour or single concert. Also,
Page | 6

12/8/2023
according to Lamar Fike, “But only the Colonel really understood what constituted ‘expenses’ and
what was ‘net’.” (Nash book, p. 415)
• The author argues that since the Colonel never took a vacation that he was worth every penny.
However, he states the Colonel saying, “What would I do on a vacation? The thing I enjoy most is
my work.” (p.289)
• The author says that Elvis owned rocket launchers. (p. 290) Not one but multiple. I know that
when Elvis was in the army he was photographed training with a bazooka in Germany. However, I didn’t hear about him owning a bazooka as a civilian. What would he do with it? Has anyone heard this?
• The author says that Elvis had an oxygen tank off stage so he could use it during his concerts. (p. 291). I know that he used to use an asthma inhaler, but I don’t remember reading anything about him using an oxygen tank. I think that would have been obvious. However, please let me know if I am wrong.
• The author seems to downplay the Colonel’s gambling habit/addiction. He said he didn’t have a problem because he always paid his debts. (p. 294) That might be true, but how did he pay?
• The author says that Elvis was set to play Wembley Stadium in London at the end of 1977. He says that Elvis took out insurance, not the Colonel. (p. 300) Did the Colonel know about this? How were they going to put a show together and sell tickets with no advertising as of August 16, 1977? I believe there was a discussion of 10 concerts at Wembley Stadium sometime in the 70s, but it was squashed by the Colonel. I can buy the argument that it might have been hard for Elvis to travel overseas in the late 70s because of the drugs and guns, but it doesn’t explain why he didn’t do it earlier, and especially right after the Aloha special. Why did the Colonel not want to go overseas? The author never addresses that issue. Wouldn’t he have asked the Colonel?
• The author makes the claim that 4,000 fans walked out of Elvis’ afternoon concert in Houston on August 28, 1976 (“Houston We Have a Problem” bootleg). (p. 304) There is no way that 4,000 fans walked out. It would have been reported in Bob Claypool’s scathing review. https://www.elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/press82.htm
• The author mentions that the Colonel was worried about Elvis performing and going out on tour, etc. However, MacDonald argues that the reason the Colonel agreed to the CBS television special was because he was hoping it would be the “impetus needed to get Elvis back on track.” (pp. 313- 314) The Colonel signs a deal for Elvis to do a television show that was only a few weeks away? There was no way Elvis would have enough time to get in shape, etc. Not to mention the number of health issues he had. It could have been a disaster, and in many respects, it was and why it will never be officially released nor should it. Did the Colonel see the writing on the wall and see that there was only a matter of time that he had his cash cow?
ERRORS
1. The author credits the Colonel and Al Dvorin for creating the famous line, “Elvis has left the building.” However, it was first said at Elvis’ last Louisiana Hayride show on December 15, 1956 when Horace Logan uttered, “All right, all right, Elvis has left the building. I’ve told you absolutely straight up to this point. You know that. He has left the building. He left the stage and went out the back with the policeman and he is now gone... Please take your seats.” (p. 11) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L288xI5et8U&t=2132s (35:25))
Page | 7

12/8/2023
2. The author says that Hal Wallis and Colonel met to discuss Love Me Tender, but in footnote he states, correctly, that Elvis was loaned out to make Love Me Tender. (P. 104)
3. The author says that Elvis found Graceland and named it. (p. 113) Neither is true, Elvis’ parents found Graceland and the name was christened by the original owners who named it after their daughter, Grace. (Peter Guralnick, “Last Train to Memphis” p. 395)
4. The author says that “Blue Hawaii” had 17 songs. It was only 14 songs. (p. 154)
5. The author says that “Double Trouble” was a movie where Elvis played twins. However, it was
“Kissin Cousins.” (p. 181)
6. The author says that Elvis’ dog Brutus was used in “Live A Little, Love A Lot.” However, this is a
myth that has been disproved by Priscilla who said it was not Brutus. (p. 195)
(https://www.elvis.com.au/movies/live-a- ... ttle.shtml)
7. The author says that the 68 “Comeback Special” included financing for “Charro.” However, it was
“Change of Habit.” (p. 196) (https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... s-presley-
comeback-special-1968-50th-anniversary)
8. The author says that “The Trouble with Girls” contained the song “A Little Less Conversation.”
However, it was “Live A Little Love A Little.” (p. 197)
9. The author says that on January 15, 1973, Elvis walked off the stage after two songs. However, this
was February 15, 1973. It couldn’t have been on January 15 because Elvis was in Hawaii filming the Aloha special and his Vegas gig was from January 26 to February 23, 1973. (p. 258)
Page | 8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nolan is here, with the truth!

AndresVanKujik

Postby AndresVanKujik » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:40 am

As far as books on this subject go, Alana Nash did an excellent job in her book The Colonel and there is the original which the movie Elvis and the Colonel is based on. These will suffice. A new book on the subject has little importance. A fantastic review well though out though
"Man, I just work here..."

AndresVanKujik

Postby AndresVanKujik » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:02 am

As an aside it was only while rewatching Elvis and The Colonel that I found out it was directed by William Graham who directed Elvis in Change of Habit, hence the hidden joke where Elvis is seen on a movie set (albeit in 59 but the only place or it in the film) and he is seems dressed a s a doctor chasing some nuns!!
"Man, I just work here..."

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:30 am

John wrote:It's every teenage boy's fantasy dilemma. If you meet the biggest rock star in the world, and he's sunbathing with a gorgeous blonde who is completely naked… where do you look first?...

Get your phone out & start videoing.......... be worth a small fortune later......
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
John

Postby John » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:42 am

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:It's every teenage boy's fantasy dilemma. If you meet the biggest rock star in the world, and he's sunbathing with a gorgeous blonde who is completely naked… where do you look first?...

Get your phone out & start videoing.......... be worth a small fortune later......

Or get someone with a time travelling machine to go back there!

Nigel77

Postby Nigel77 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:36 am

Nolan Truth wrote:
John wrote:It's every teenage boy's fantasy dilemma. If you meet the biggest rock star in the world, and he's sunbathing with a gorgeous blonde who is completely naked… where do you look first?

Read all about it here:

Many questions about this book, before asked, are answered here:

Brian Rothbart review of Elvis and the Colonel An Insider's Look at the Most Legendary Partnership in Show Business 12.8.2023.pdf

12/8/2023
Brian Rothbart’s review of “Elvis and the Colonel: An Insider's Look at the Most Legendary Partnership in Show Business” by Greg McDonald and Marshall Terrill.
Apologies for this is a lot longer than I had anticipated. I’m not sure if what I have written is considered “spoilers”, but I will let the reader decide that. It will save you the cost of buying the book. So, you are welcome.
First, let me say that when I first heard about this book and read the description, I did not have high hopes. Since I had never heard of Greg McDonald, I was a little skeptical in exactly what he was aware of other than what the Colonel told him. Also, since he had such a close relationship with the Colonel (the Colonel supposedly allowed him to stay at his home so he could finish school) I wasn’t sure we would get an honest look and instead get a one sided, glorification of the Colonel. My initial thoughts were correct.
McDonald is an unreliable narrator who gives no sources to back up his claims. He doesn’t even give the year when he first met Elvis and the Colonel, and as we will see there is an issue with what he says. However, there are lots of errors or “stories” that are hard to believe that ever happened as retold in the book, but we will get to those later.
I was hoping that the book would contain at least pictures and copies of contracts, letters, etc. However, there are only two photos, three if you count the photo on the cover. One is of Elvis and the Colonel. The second is of the author, his wife, and the Colonel dressed as Santa. There are no copies of letters that he mentions in the book or copies of the contracts, etc.
The book can be divided into two parts. Chapters one through 12, which is more of a biography of the Colonel’s life, stories that I assume came directly from what Colonel told the author. We all know how unreliable the Colonel can be in his stories and claims. He also says that the Dutch “are extremely private people.”(p. 31) so why would the Colonel tell him these things?
Chapters 13 through 24 are during the time when the author first met Elvis and the Colonel and could therefore have firsthand knowledge of what happened during that time. Although, McDonald says that he didn’t work for the Colonel during Elvis concert tours of the 70s. Also, I’m never quite sure what he did for the Colonel other than drive him between Palm Spring and LA.
The first half of the book is very schmaltzy and sappy in the telling of the Colonel’s early life. It is not well written and feels clunky and geared toward young adults. For example, he says “his only pair of shoes had huge holes in the soles. He wrapped his feet in newspaper, and stuffed them in his shoes to keep them warm.” (p.29) He also tells two other tales that seem far-fetched that are described below. In the second half of the book there are a few interesting things. One is the meeting with the Beatles. The second is regarding the Colonel and how he marketed Elvis’ Vegas and tours.
I don’t think the narrative that the Colonel was the “devil” is quite accurate. He did a lot of great things for Elvis’ career in the early days and Elvis and Colonel both helped to change the world. The Colonel couldn’t have accomplished the things he did without having a client as talented and special as Elvis. Elvis, on the other hand, might not have been propelled as quickly as he was without the help from the one of the greatest promoters in history. And the Colonel’s marketing and merchandising of Elvis was genius. However, this rosy picture is not based on reality. The Colonel also did some questionable things and was a much better promoter than manager. His number one goal was money. Of course, Elvis had the power to
Page | 1

12/8/2023
take on the Colonel and sometimes he did. However, the Colonel knew how to manipulate Elvis, and Vernon, and play into their fears regarding money and fame. But, like Elvis, the Colonel was loyal. He might have thought since money is the most important thing, he was really doing what was in Elvis’ best interest. The Colonel might have thought he did a lot for Elvis and Elvis owed him more than he deserved. He was not necessarily evil (unless he was a murderer), but he was no saint by any means.
This book is described as “An Insider’s Look at the Most Legendary Partnership in the Show Business.” However, that is far from the truth. You get very little insight, unreliable stories, and numerous factual errors. Here is a list of things that McDonald doesn’t discuss or mention, address adequately, or dubious statements or events in the book:
• There is no mention of the Colonel blacklisting Leiber and Stoller or how he ended that relationship because he felt threatened by the duo.
• He doesn’t mention the Colonel influence in Elvis’ early relationships e.g., Barbara Hearn, June Juanico, etc.
• He dismisses that the Colonel played any role or had anything to do with Elvis being drafted because the Colonel said “Now why would a manager who has millions invested in a client want to have that client drafted? That would be crazy.” (p. 118) However, there are a number of reasons why the Colonel would have wanted Elvis drafted at that time. His number one goal was promotion, and we know that the Colonel saw promoting Elvis as being the upstanding citizen who served his country as a way to help change his image and thus bringing him to a wider audience.
• The author makes no mention of the Colonel’s role in the press and photos of Elvis and Vernon after Glady’s funeral.
• No mention of why the Colonel didn’t visit Elvis in Germany.
• There is no mention of Larry Geller being ousted and the burning of Elvis’ spiritual books.
• There is no mention of how the Colonel manipulated Elvis’ music or why Elvis couldn’t get the best
material because of publishing rights. Elvis could have fought this, but with movies there was not
enough time to get better material for a wider selection of writers.
• There is no mention of Elvis being depressed. I know it was a different time, but he was obviously
clinically depressed. Also does not discuss Elvis’ many health issues.
• The author doesn’t mention how much Elvis hated singing to a live hound dog on the Steve Allen Show.
(p. 13)
• The author tells two stories. First, he was beaten by a gang of bullies. “He was lost, hurt, and hungry.” It
began to rain and he asked a Black family if he could sleep on their porch, they were gracious enough to bring him inside where his wounds were cleaned and he was fed. After leaving the house he was met by a White mob who yelled, “[N-word] lover!” and savagely beat him. (pp. 26-27) It might have happened, but it all seems far-fetched and not very believable. Something out of a movie. I’m sure the Colonel might have told this story, but I suspect there isn’t any truth in it.
• The author says, the Colonel “wasn’t even a hustler.” However, he goes on about how smart the Colonel was in his “hustling”. (p. 31)
• The author mentions that the Colonel was adopted by owners of the Parker Pony Rides. “They ventured down to the courthouse in the small town in Georgia where they were working and filled out the necessary paperwork.” He then goes on to say that this is how the Colonel got his last name “Parker.” (pp.31-37) Are there records of this? If so, why hasn’t anyone else said anything since it has been said that he got the name Tom Parker from the name of the army officer who interviewed him. Also, why
Page | 2

12/8/2023
would a couple adopt an 18-year-old kid? Also, according to the book, the Colonel goes back to Europe (he did) traveling around before deciding to come back to the US. However, he states that during that time when he decided to return that it was hard for immigrants because recently passed immigration laws, and that “immigrants had to find an American sponsor . . . .“ Wait, wasn’t he adopted? Didn’t he have someone who could sponsor him? Anyway, there is never any mention that the Colonel ever visited his “adopted” parents again.
• Young Parker is said to have lots of wanderlust. (p. 36) Why did it suddenly stop? Why didn’t he visit Elvis in Germany? Why not visit his family in Holland? Why not take Elvis overseas? He was supposedly a great admirer of the Far East.
• The author makes no mention of the Colonel going AWOL, being put in solitary confinement, and then sent to Walter Reed Hospital. He just says military records were destroyed in a fire, which is true or were either lost. (p. 44). However, in Alanna Nash’s book, “The Colonel: The Extraordinary Story of Colonel Tom Parker and Elvis,” she says that after “nearly a two-year search for Parker’s army records, aided by the Freedom of Information Act, finally yielded a glimmer of what Parker feared would be known . . . .The discharge document and final pay vouchers contained in the file, combined with ancillary records (such as morning reports and unit rosters found elsewhere) begin to frame a far clearer picture of Tome Parker than anyone has ever seen. . . . Records show that his commanding officer marked his 140-day AWOL as lost time without wages. Then he added sixty days more: for two months, Private Parker would be placed in solitary confinement in the guardhouse jail on the post. . . . On June 19, 1933, Private Thomas Parker, having taken leave of his senses, was removed from the guarded lockup ward and sent to Walter Reed Army Medical Center . . . .” (Nash pp. 79-83)
• The author makes no mention of how the Colonel screwed Hank Snow, who said, "I have worked with several managers over the years and have had respect for them all except one. Tom Parker (he refuses to recognize the title Colonel) was the most egotistical, obnoxious human being I've ever had dealings with."
• The Colonel used to send Elvis money without Vernon knowing. (P. 110) How did Elvis cash the check? Wouldn’t it need to show up on taxes? It is nit-picky, but it doesn’t make sense other than to show how great the Colonel was.
• According to the author, Lyndon Baines Johnson (LBJ) asked the Colonel if he should accept the VP nomination and that the Colonel gave him the slogan, “All the Way with LBJ.” However, it was based on the Adlai Stevenson’s slogan, “All the Way with Adlai.” (p. 128) (https://www.history.com/news/presidenti ... gn-slogans)
“During the 1964 US presidential campaign, he ‘loaned’” his business stationery logo (old-fashioned covered wagon), “gifting him with a thirteen-inch, hard-carved wagon that doubled as a lamp and carried the words All the Way With LBJ on its cloth tenting.” (Nash book p. 100) Could this be what the author was referring to?
• The Colonel bought flowers for Glady’s grave and sent pictures to Elvis. (p. 129) He probably charged Elvis for the flowers and photos.
• The author says that Elvis was afraid to release “Are You Lonesome Tonight” because “he thought fans might not like it because of the narrative in the middle of the song . . . .” (p. 135). However, this makes no sense as Elvis liked songs that contained spoken parts. However, there is truth that Elvis grew frustrated singing the difficult song and wanted to abandon it, but was persuaded by Steve Sholes to re-record the ending and they spliced two take together.
Page | 3

12/8/2023
(https://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/2 ... -became-a-
hit/#:~:text=Such%20was%20almost%20the%20case,not%20wish%20to%20finish%20it.
• The author talks about meeting Elvis and Colonel on a hot summer day sometime in the 1960s. He
doesn’t give a year, so it is hard to totally verify. However, he talks about Elvis renting Jack Warner’s estate and that Elvis and some blonde woman (who was nude) were hanging out by the pool. This sounds very strange as Elvis usually had the guys around him so be alone with some woman sounds strange. Who was this woman? Elvis and McDonald then have this conversation about Oral Roberts and the Assembly of God church, and then Elvis calls the Colonel to tell him that he must meet this kid. So, he goes over to the Colonel’s house and the Colonel takes a liking to him. So much so that he invites him to live with him so McDonald can go and finish school. (p. 146-153)
o Elvis, I believe, first stayed in Palm Springs in 1966, but stayed the “Honeymoon House” or “House of Tomorrow” (1350 Ladera Circle).
o Elvis rented Warner’s house in 1973.
o TheColonelownedhishomeinPalmSpringsstartingin1963(1166N.VistaVespero). o Jack Warner’s estate was built in 1958 (Old Las Palmas W. Via Lola and N. Cabrillo Rd.) o On Greg MacDonald’s LinkedIn page, he has that he stated at All Star Shows in January
(https://visitpalmsprings.com/viva-palm- springs/#:~:text=Elvis's%20Manager%2C%20Colonel%20Tom%20Parker,and%20honeymoo n%20in%20Palm%20Springs) (https://www.palmspringslife.com/best-si ... m-springs/)
• Another tidbit that is a little hard to swallow is that Elvis was invited to a dinner party thrown by Marilyn Monroe, but Elvis did not get the invitation because whoever took the message never gave it to Elvis. (pp. 155-156) This seems unbelievable on several levels. First, I’m not even sure Monroe threw dinner parties, but why would she invite Elvis? They were 10 years apart in age and I believe they only met fleeting by passing each other on a movie lot. Second, why wouldn’t the person give the message to Elvis? It isn’t something you would have forgotten, and I think one of the guys would like to have the chance to meet Ms. Monroe. If there was an invitation, it was probably received by the Colonel or one of Elvis’ girlfriends. Giving a year would help establish if Ms. Monroe might have invited Elvis to a dinner party.
• The author describes a time that producer Jerry Wald, “told the Colonel that he had a script for his client that practically assured him the Oscar.” However, the Colonel kills the deal because Elvis’ salary would have to be lowered. Does the Colonel ask for him to send the script? (pp. 161-162) Does he bring this to Elvis? No, he doesn’t. The author makes it sound as if the Colonel was smart in this decision and not being a manager and working for his client. He knew Elvis wanted to be an actor and have a real, good role.
• The author says that Elvis wouldn’t work outdoor arenas because of sound. (p.166) This is mentioned on why Elvis didn’t do tours in the 1960s. However, this is not true at all as he did several concerts outside. The reason he didn’t tour in the 60s is that he was stuck doing pictures and there really wasn’t any other time to do tours. I think he also mentions this because it is one of the reasons that has been given for why Elvis never toured overseas.
• The author quotes the Colonel saying, “I don’t read the scripts . . . .” (p. 169) This is a good thing? Agreeing to do a picture without reading the scripts?
Page | 4

12/8/2023
• The author mentions that Truman Capote recalls Elvis Presley giving him a dinner party, “the only dinner party I’ve ever heard of his giving, in Las Vegas.” This was supposedly sometime in the early 1970s. The author does say that Capote was known to tell tall tales so who knows if it is true.
(p. 170) However, why not ask the Colonel? Or wouldn’t he have heard about it?
• The author tries to say that the Colonel was not thinking about publicity when he sent telegrams to the Beatles that were read on tv by hosts like Ed Sullivan. (pp. 172-173). I’m sure he also did it as a nice gesture, but he was doing it to also get Elvis’ name out there. Even if it was to show that Elvis wasn’t threatened by them, etc.
• The author says that he was driving around Beverly Hills and pulled up to Elvis at a stoplight at Sunset Boulevard and Beverly Drive who was on a motorcycle with Natalie Wood (p. 188) This also seems dubious as Elvis and Natalie had hung out, but that was in Memphis in the 1950s. Please let me know if there was any mention of them hanging out in the 1960s.
• “Elvis, if you go back out on the road and you don’t sell out, you’re no longer the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll.” (p.195) That might be true, but it is a horrible thing to say. Also, isn’t the Colonel the greatest promoter in the world according to the author? So, shouldn’t he be able to sell tickets to Elvis who hadn’t performed in a number of years? You could argue that it might be hard to sell out 10,000 seat arenas, but he basically did that and more in Las Vegas as he packed a 2,000-seat for 57 shows where 101,500 people saw him perform.
• The author does not mention the controversy over the 1968 “Comeback Special.” He does mention that the Colonel was worried that since it wasn’t a Christmas show that if it didn’t do well, they would be sued, but no mention of his mischief trying to derail what Binder and Elvis wanted to do. And no mention of whatever shenanigans the Colonel did regarding tickets. (p. 196)
• The author says that after the 68 “Comeback Special”, the Colonel yelled “Where’s my boy?” and Elvis came out of his dressing room and the Colonel gave him a big hug. (p.196) I think he is confusing this with after his first Las Vegas show in 1969. According to Peter Guralnick in “Carless Love” that after the recording Elvis said, “Tell the Colonel I want to talk to him.” He then said he wanted to tour again. (Guralnick p. 317)
• The author discusses recording at American Sound Studio and specifically “Suspicious Minds”, but not how upset the Colonel was about it being recorded as they didn’t own the publishing rights. (pp. 197-198) The Colonel “
In fact, there is no mention or discussion about Elvis not getting the best material because he was only brought stuff that they had the publishing rights. This is something that Elvis could have ignored, but it would still have been a problem for songs
written for the movies and the reason for some of his worst recordings.
• The author says that during the August 12, 1970 dinner show in Vegas the Colonel boosted Elvis over a makeshift barricade that was constructed for the filming on Elvis: That’s the Way It Is. (p.
219) This might have happened. Has anyone heard about this?
• The author said that Vernon was mad that the Colonel was giving out bonuses after tours.
Therefore, Vernon had Elvis call and talk to the Colonel about the bonuses. (p.235) This doesn’t seem like a thing Elvis would worry himself about or call the Colonel. I could see Vernon making this stink, if the money was coming out of Elvis’ pocket, which it really shouldn’t be if the Colonel was giving bonuses to his people.
threatened to stop Elvis’ recording. However, Elvis went ahead with his
recording against Colonel Parker’s issues.” (https://americansongwriter.com/behind-the-song-
suspicious-minds-by-elvis-presley/)
Page | 5

12/8/2023
• The author says that the first concert he ever promoted was Sonny and Cher in 1966, during his junior year in high school. He says that he was able to get them cheap ($750) because they were a few years past their “I Got You Babe” prime. (pp.244-245). However, “I Got You Babe” came out in 1965 and they were still quite big in 1966. It was around 1968 that they were starting to fade and becoming more of a joke. Could it be 1968? However, this seems a weird thing to get wrong.
• The author says he didn’t work with the Colonel during Elvis’ touring years. (p. 246). Since he gives no dates, I’m not sure when he actually worked for the Colonel or when he first met him. It was obviously sometime in the 1960s when he moved in with the Colonel so he could go to school. However, I’m still not sure what he did for the Colonel other than drive him places.
• The author says that the Colonel was against selling Elvis’ back catalog, which seems to be true. He also negotiated a new seven-year contract with RCA. (p. 259-261) However, according to Nash’s book, after the sale the Colonel demanded a new management agreement. “All income from Elvis’ recordings would be divided 50-50 from the first dollar, meaning Presley and Parker were now locked into a pure and equal partnership.” (p. 426) it I’m not sure whose idea it was, but it seems that the Colonel made out a lot better out on the deal with subsequent contracts that were negotiated. “In the end, RCA paid the pair $10.5 million. Of that, $6 million would go to the Colonel, and $4.5 million to Elvis.” (Nash p. 426)
• The author says that the Colonel “got so frustrated that tears would well up in his eyes. He and Elvis had been through so much and had come such a distance together; he was now unable to help Elvis, try as he may.” (p. 264)
• The author gives one of the reasons for Elvis’ decline was for a “growing lack of interest in his career after peaking on “Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii.” (p. 266) However, he doesn’t mention why the Colonel didn’t try to get him something that would inspire and/or test him like a movie or travel overseas. He states that the Colonel wanted Elvis to take some time off, but Elvis couldn’t because of his debt. However, the Colonel turned down a lot of money for Elvis to travel overseas. The author discusses how the Colonel squashed a concert in Japan that would have paid Elvis $1 million. (p. 300)
• The author discusses how Elvis fired the Colonel after a Vegas show (September 5, 1973) and how the Colonel sent Elvis his resignation agreement that Elvis never signed. The Colonel knew that Elvis couldn’t afford the $5 million that he said Elvis owed him. (p. 270-271). The author also says that another reason that Elvis didn’t fire the Colonel was because “no one wanted to touch Elvis Presley. He was seen as unpredictable and difficult to handle.” (pp. 273-274) This is just laughable.
• The author says that Elvis used to have the houselights turned up during his concerts because “the Colonel made a promise to Elvis that every ticket in every venue would be sold out, and if Elvis saw an empty seat anywhere, he could walk offstage with his blessing.” (p. 288) Hogwash. First, Elvis had trouble seeing past the first few rows. Second, seats could be empty for any number of reasons. All Elvis would need to do is ask for the ticket sales, etc. to see if shows were selling out. Third, Elvis would not just walk off the stage because a few seats weren’t sold. Finally, it makes it seem that the reason Elvis’ shows were sold out was because of the Colonel’s marketing and not because of Elvis.
• The author says the 1976 contract between Elvis and the Colonel was “not very profitable for Colonel Parker being based on what was left over after Elvis’ touring expenses, and sometimes there was nothing left.” (pp. 288-289) However, he contradicts that statement by reporting numerous times what Elvis and the Colonel made from either a tour or single concert. Also,
Page | 6

12/8/2023
according to Lamar Fike, “But only the Colonel really understood what constituted ‘expenses’ and
what was ‘net’.” (Nash book, p. 415)
• The author argues that since the Colonel never took a vacation that he was worth every penny.
However, he states the Colonel saying, “What would I do on a vacation? The thing I enjoy most is
my work.” (p.289)
• The author says that Elvis owned rocket launchers. (p. 290) Not one but multiple. I know that
when Elvis was in the army he was photographed training with a bazooka in Germany. However, I didn’t hear about him owning a bazooka as a civilian. What would he do with it? Has anyone heard this?
• The author says that Elvis had an oxygen tank off stage so he could use it during his concerts. (p. 291). I know that he used to use an asthma inhaler, but I don’t remember reading anything about him using an oxygen tank. I think that would have been obvious. However, please let me know if I am wrong.
• The author seems to downplay the Colonel’s gambling habit/addiction. He said he didn’t have a problem because he always paid his debts. (p. 294) That might be true, but how did he pay?
• The author says that Elvis was set to play Wembley Stadium in London at the end of 1977. He says that Elvis took out insurance, not the Colonel. (p. 300) Did the Colonel know about this? How were they going to put a show together and sell tickets with no advertising as of August 16, 1977? I believe there was a discussion of 10 concerts at Wembley Stadium sometime in the 70s, but it was squashed by the Colonel. I can buy the argument that it might have been hard for Elvis to travel overseas in the late 70s because of the drugs and guns, but it doesn’t explain why he didn’t do it earlier, and especially right after the Aloha special. Why did the Colonel not want to go overseas? The author never addresses that issue. Wouldn’t he have asked the Colonel?
• The author makes the claim that 4,000 fans walked out of Elvis’ afternoon concert in Houston on August 28, 1976 (“Houston We Have a Problem” bootleg). (p. 304) There is no way that 4,000 fans walked out. It would have been reported in Bob Claypool’s scathing review. https://www.elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/press82.htm
• The author mentions that the Colonel was worried about Elvis performing and going out on tour, etc. However, MacDonald argues that the reason the Colonel agreed to the CBS television special was because he was hoping it would be the “impetus needed to get Elvis back on track.” (pp. 313- 314) The Colonel signs a deal for Elvis to do a television show that was only a few weeks away? There was no way Elvis would have enough time to get in shape, etc. Not to mention the number of health issues he had. It could have been a disaster, and in many respects, it was and why it will never be officially released nor should it. Did the Colonel see the writing on the wall and see that there was only a matter of time that he had his cash cow?
ERRORS
1. The author credits the Colonel and Al Dvorin for creating the famous line, “Elvis has left the building.” However, it was first said at Elvis’ last Louisiana Hayride show on December 15, 1956 when Horace Logan uttered, “All right, all right, Elvis has left the building. I’ve told you absolutely straight up to this point. You know that. He has left the building. He left the stage and went out the back with the policeman and he is now gone... Please take your seats.” (p. 11) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L288xI5et8U&t=2132s (35:25))
Page | 7

12/8/2023
2. The author says that Hal Wallis and Colonel met to discuss Love Me Tender, but in footnote he states, correctly, that Elvis was loaned out to make Love Me Tender. (P. 104)
3. The author says that Elvis found Graceland and named it. (p. 113) Neither is true, Elvis’ parents found Graceland and the name was christened by the original owners who named it after their daughter, Grace. (Peter Guralnick, “Last Train to Memphis” p. 395)
4. The author says that “Blue Hawaii” had 17 songs. It was only 14 songs. (p. 154)
5. The author says that “Double Trouble” was a movie where Elvis played twins. However, it was
“Kissin Cousins.” (p. 181)
6. The author says that Elvis’ dog Brutus was used in “Live A Little, Love A Lot.” However, this is a
myth that has been disproved by Priscilla who said it was not Brutus. (p. 195)
(https://www.elvis.com.au/movies/live-a- ... ttle.shtml)
7. The author says that the 68 “Comeback Special” included financing for “Charro.” However, it was
“Change of Habit.” (p. 196) (https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... s-presley-
comeback-special-1968-50th-anniversary)
8. The author says that “The Trouble with Girls” contained the song “A Little Less Conversation.”
However, it was “Live A Little Love A Little.” (p. 197)
9. The author says that on January 15, 1973, Elvis walked off the stage after two songs. However, this
was February 15, 1973. It couldn’t have been on January 15 because Elvis was in Hawaii filming the Aloha special and his Vegas gig was from January 26 to February 23, 1973. (p. 258)
Page | 8

Brian's review is a good one! It has been a while since we've been subject to an account written with "rose colored glasses".

Lonely Summer

Postby Lonely Summer » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:43 am

I know of Greg McDonald from him being Rick Nelson's manager in the latter part of Nelson's life. I have talked with numerous people associated with Nelson, and none of them liked McDonald. The band members say he was a terrible manager, and Rick's daughter Tracy blames McDonald for the fatal flight that killed Rick and his band.
I notice that McDonald refers to Rick as "Ricky" throughout the book. He hated being called "Ricky"; to his friends and family, throughout his adult years, he was always "Rick".

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:45 am

AndresVanKujik wrote:As far as books on this subject go, Alana Nash did an excellent job in her book The Colonel and there is the original which the movie Elvis and the Colonel is based on. These will suffice. A new book on the subject has little importance. A fantastic review well though out though

I have this book, I really enjoyed it. I have come to the conclusion having read a lot of books about Elvis to take what I have read with a pinch of salt. ( My Opinion ) Only because you hear so many different stories over the years, Someone else will say that's not quite true. :)
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:06 pm

elvislady wrote:
AndresVanKujik wrote:As far as books on this subject go, Alana Nash did an excellent job in her book The Colonel and there is the original which the movie Elvis and the Colonel is based on. These will suffice. A new book on the subject has little importance. A fantastic review well though out though

I have this book, I really enjoyed it. I have come to the conclusion having read a lot of books about Elvis to take what I have read with a pinch of salt. ( My Opinion ) Only because you hear so many different stories over the years, Someone else will say that's not quite true. :)

Good to see you enjoyed reading this book.
IMO Alana Nash missed to address the social and cultural period and circumstances when Dries van Kuijk illegally emigrated to the USA.
She pointed out it was because of a murder he fled to the USA.
Not only was he ever a suspect, he "fled" from Rotterdam while working on a sea-men's taxi service called Spido.
It was the second time he emigrated. The first time he was caught and sent back.
These days Spido is a tourist organisation sailing through the Rotterdam harbors showing tourists these harbors.
In those days a lot of Europeans and Asians emigrated to the USA.
Even today thousands of Mexicans try to enter the country.
As for changing his name, a lot of people did that. Even Ringo Starskey changed his name to Ringo Starr and 2 of The Shadows' changed their names into Bruce Welch (Bruce Cripps) & Hank Marvin (Brian Robson Rankin), while Harry Roger WEbb changed his name to Cliff Richard.
As for the murder in Breda, if Dries van Kuijk would have done that, after 18 years he could have walked into any Dutch police station and claim he was guilty. He would not get arrested as the crime would be outdated according to Dutch law.

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:40 pm

Yin Yang wrote:
elvislady wrote:

IMO Alana Nash missed to address the social and cultural period and circumstances when Dries van Kuijk illegally emigrated to the USA.
Not only was he ever a suspect, he "fled" from Rotterdam while working on a sea-men's taxi service called Spido.
It was the second time he emigrated. The first time he was caught and sent back.
These days Spido is a tourist organisation sailing through the Rotterdam harbors showing tourists these harbors.
As for changing his name, a lot of people did that. Even Ringo Starskey changed his name to Ringo Starr and 2 of The Shadows' changed their names into Bruce Welch (Bruce Cripps) & Hank Marvin (Brian Robson Rankin), while Harry Roger WEbb changed his name to Cliff Richard.
As for the murder in Breda, if Dries van Kuijk would have done that, after 18 years he could have walked into any Dutch police station and claim he was guilty. He would not get arrested as the crime would be outdated according to Dutch law.

Yes, I did notice this in the book, Alana did not address issue. It's very easy to change your name. I really never understood the crime/crimes he may have committed did he not feel any empathy for what he did? I am assuming elvis never knew about the Col past, And went to his grave never knowing the truth.
Welcome to my world

Thank you ( Jeanette )

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:36 pm

elvislady wrote:
Yin Yang wrote:
elvislady wrote:

Yes, I did notice this in the book, Alana did not address issue. It's very easy to change your name. I really never understood the crime/crimes he may have committed did he not feel any empathy for what he did? I am assuming elvis never knew about the Col past, And went to his grave never knowing the truth.

In 1960 the Dutch woman weekly magazine "Rosita" published a photo of Elvis standing in the doors of a train and behind him Colonel Parker.
Aad van Kuijk then said to his family "Hey, that's our brother".
He contacted the magazine, he got in touch with his brother and in 1961 went over to the USA.
Parker introduced his brother to Elvis and his entourage, who did not react as they were watching a football game on TV.
Parker made sure he was not photographed together with his brother.
Aad van Kuijk wrote a (Dutch languaged) book about his trip and included was a reproduction of the record he recorded at a train station and sent home.
So in The Netherlands it was known the Colonel was of Dutch origin as early as 1960 - 1961.This was also mentioned in fanclub magazines at the time.

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:12 am

Yin Yang wrote:
elvislady wrote:
Yin Yang wrote:
elvislady wrote:

In 1960 the Dutch woman weekly magazine "Rosita" published a photo of Elvis standing in the doors of a train and behind him Colonel Parker.
Aad van Kuijk then said to his family "Hey, that's our brother".
He contacted the magazine, he got in touch with his brother and in 1961 went over to the USA.
Parker introduced his brother to Elvis and his entourage, who did not react as they were watching a football game on TV.
Parker made sure he was not photographed together with his brother.
Aad van Kuijk wrote a (Dutch languaged) book about his trip and included was a reproduction of the record he recorded at a train station and sent home.
So in The Netherlands it was known the Colonel was of Dutch origin as early as 1960 - 1961.This was also mentioned in fanclub magazines at the time.

Thanks yinyang. Mike Dash a historian also wrote about Col T giving a little more insite.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 108042206/

https://www.elvis.com.au/presley/andrea ... uijk.shtml
Welcome to my world

Thank you ( Jeanette )

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:02 am

It was Vellenga that got the tip off about the murder.
Everyone seems to blame Alanna Nash regarding this story, as if it was her saying he did it.
The circumstantial evidence is there, but has she ever clearly said he did it?
Nolan is here, with the truth!

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:13 pm

Nolan Truth wrote:It was Vellenga that got the tip off about the murder.
Everyone seems to blame Alanna Nash regarding this story, as if it was her saying he did it.
The circumstantial evidence is there, but has she ever clearly said he did it?

Mentioning it in a book without any evidence, without even having been recorded with the police as a suspect and solely based on an anonymous letter is a no no.
If The Colonel would still be alive he could have sued her for slander big time and have won.
In my eyes, this makes that writer totally untrustable.

Return to “Everything Elvis”