Priscilla (Sofia Coppola film)

All the Elvis you can take

Colin B

Re: Priscilla (Sofia Coppola film)

Postby Colin B » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:52 am

Nolan Truth wrote:I can 100% guarantee that Elvis never spoke to Priscilla’s ‘real Dad’.
Colin B wrote:Priscilla's biological father was US Navy pilot James Frederick Wagner, who died in a plane crash in 1945, when she was 6 months old
& Elvis was 10.
John wrote:Maybe they've spoken since 16th August 1977.

......or maybe not.....
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:08 pm

John wrote:
Colin B wrote:
Nolan Truth wrote:I can 100% guarantee that Elvis never spoke to Priscilla’s ‘real Dad’.

Priscilla's biological father was US Navy pilot James Frederick Wagner, who died in a plane crash in 1945, when she was 6 months old
& Elvis was 10.

Maybe they've spoken since 16th August 1977.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:57 pm

This review of the 'Priscilla' film is interesting:

https://www.bupipedream.com/ac/movies/1 ... raft-1623/
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:21 pm

Colin B wrote:This review of the 'Priscilla' film is interesting:

Do we learn anything from it that we didn't know before?

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:04 pm

John wrote:Do we learn anything from it that we didn't know before?

From the film or the review ?

The film presents things from Priscilla's viewpoint, one not given much publicity before.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:09 pm

Colin B wrote:

John wrote:Do we learn anything from it that we didn't know before?

From the film or the review ?

The film presents things from Priscilla's viewpoint, one not given much publicity before.

But will we learn anything new, or do we even care? I don't.

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:23 pm

They had a relationship throughout Elvis’ years serving the army

Afraid not, they didn’t meet until Sept ‘59
Nolan is here, with the truth!

scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:10 am

Seen the film. Cailee Spaeny plays the role very, very well. Besides that's, you can't take your eyes off her, for the simple fact, she is an incredibly beautiful girl. Jacob Elordi doesn't do a bad job either. No original Elvis music, but a lot of music from other artists/band of that period. The focus is only on the relationship between Elvis and Priscilla compared to that of Luhrman, Elvis and Parker. I really do think that Coppola''s film is closer to the truth than Luhrman's, which contained many errors.

The intake of pills by both is frequently depicted. whether that had to be repeated so often? Do not think so. I find it hard to believe that Elvis stayed away for a long time (7 to 8 years) so as not to have sex with her out of respect.
That Priscilla could hardly decide for herself is made clear by Elvis' choices regarding wearing clothes, make-up, hair style, and even forbidding her to go to work after school hours to kill time. Elvis should have married his so-called boyfriends, who were constantly present. Of course it is naive to marry the most famous man as a young girl and then think that you have it all to yourself.

If true, two things learned from the movie. Priscilla wanted to wait longer to get pregnant, and that Elvis tried to rape her in Las Vegas.

Certainly not a disappointing film, and I actually enjoyed it more than Luhrman's film.

davrid

Postby davrid » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:26 pm

scottwalker wrote:
If true, two things learned from the movie. Priscilla wanted to wait longer to get pregnant, and that Elvis tried to rape her in Las Vegas.

This is my first post here, and I very much wanted, indeed, tried, to remain uncritical of another post. But "ScottWalker's" post is utter nonsense.

Firstly, there has never ever been any suggestion Elvis tried to rape Priscilla. Her lamentable book, upon which, this even more lamentable film was based, describes the scene as "He grabbed me and forcefully made love to me. It was uncomfortable and unlike any other time he'd ever made love to me before...". The wording she used was "forcefully" not "forcibly". And, yes, it matters, hugely. And, not just to me as a Barrister (England and Wales) and Advocate (Scotland), who has represented many people both accused of, and victim of, sexual asault. The two words have very different meanings and intentions i.e. sex can be forceful whilst still very much consensual; forcible sex is not consensual.

Besides, there was no such thing in any state in the US as spousal rape until the mid 70s, and not state-wide until the 90s.

At no time did Elvis ever try to "rape" Priscilla. Such a claim is totally ignorant of the facts as presented by Priscilla herself; ignorant of the prevailing law, and frankly, highly irresponsible. And, if such a claim was made against a living person, highly libellous.

scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:07 am

davrid wrote:
scottwalker wrote:

This is my first post here, and I very much wanted, indeed, tried, to remain uncritical of another post. But "ScottWalker's" post is utter nonsense.

Firstly, there has never ever been any suggestion Elvis tried to rape Priscilla. Her lamentable book, upon which, this even more lamentable film was based, describes the scene as "He grabbed me and forcefully made love to me. It was uncomfortable and unlike any other time he'd ever made love to me before...". The wording she used was "forcefully" not "forcibly". And, yes, it matters, hugely. And, not just to me as a Barrister (England and Wales) and Advocate (Scotland), who has represented many people both accused of, and victim of, sexual asault. The two words have very different meanings and intentions i.e. sex can be forceful whilst still very much consensual; forcible sex is not consensual.

Besides, there was no such thing in any state in the US as spousal rape until the mid 70s, and not state-wide until the 90s.

At no time did Elvis ever try to "rape" Priscilla. Such a claim is totally ignorant of the facts as presented by Priscilla herself; ignorant of the prevailing law, and frankly, highly irresponsible. And, if such a claim was made against a living person, highly libellous.

Luckily you were there the whole time during their marriage, as a fly on the wall.

Like i said, “IF TRUE”.

Yep, we have another “Carpenter”.

John

Postby John » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:33 am

scottwalker wrote:
davrid wrote:
scottwalker wrote:

Luckily you were there the whole time during their marriage, as a fly on the wall.

Like i said, “IF TRUE”.

scottwalker, thank you for your "review" of the film. I know you said "if true", however, I think it's useful that the question of rape is put into context and davrid's explanation is valid.

I'd suggest that calling him another "Carpenter" is unnecessary.

davrid

Postby davrid » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:10 am

scottwalker wrote:
davrid wrote:
scottwalker wrote:

Like i said, “IF TRUE”.

Obviously, I wasn't, but "were you there the whole time during their marriage"? Of course, you weren't either. Yet, you claimed Elvis tried to rape Priscilla, based on no evidence whatsoever, even Priscilla herself has never claimed anything of the sort, but apparently, you know better than anyone - even her - and despite the fact that there was no such thing as spousal rape ("rape" in its current meaning being purely a legal construct); that Pricilla clearly said 'forcefully' not forcibly. She even used the wording "made love to me". Rapists do not "make love" to anyone. Count me out of this forum if "Scottwalker's" post is an example of the standard of debate (and indeed grammar and writing). I am a barrister, I gobble up and spit out fatuous and puerile responses every single day of my working life. Bye.

scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:23 am

davrid wrote:
scottwalker wrote:
davrid wrote:
scottwalker wrote:

Like i said, “IF TRUE”.

Obviously, I wasn't, but "were you there the whole time during their marriage"? Of course, you weren't either. Yet, you claimed Elvis tried to rape Priscilla, based on no evidence whatsoever, even Priscilla herself has never claimed anything of the sort, but apparently, you know better than anyone - even her - and despite the fact that there was no such thing as spousal rape ("rape" in its current meaning being purely a legal construct); that Pricilla clearly said 'forcefully' not forcibly. She even used the wording "made love to me". Rapists do not "make love" to anyone. Count me out of this forum if "Scottwalker's" post is an example of the standard of debate (and indeed grammar and writing). I am a barrister, I gobble up fatuous and puerile responses every single day of my working life. Bye.

I dont, and we all will never know what really happened. Just for the simple fact its based on “facts” told by one person, Priscilla. The scene suggests that Elvis wanted to make love with Priscilla, not in the most romantic approach.

Advice, Carpenter II, focus on the subject, and stop attacking me. If you have that desire, go to the other forum, FECC. There you can learn a lot from the master himself, Dr. John Carpenter. You can’t miss out, he is on every subject to correct everybody’s comment.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:28 am

davrid wrote:I am a barrister, I gobble up and spit out fatuous and puerile responses every single day of my working life. Bye.

And you'll bill us in due course.

John

Postby John » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:42 am

davrid wrote:
scottwalker wrote:
davrid wrote:
scottwalker wrote:

Like i said, “IF TRUE”.

Obviously, I wasn't, but "were you there the whole time during their marriage"? Of course, you weren't either. Yet, you claimed Elvis tried to rape Priscilla, based on no evidence whatsoever, even Priscilla herself has never claimed anything of the sort, but apparently, you know better than anyone - even her - and despite the fact that there was no such thing as spousal rape ("rape" in its current meaning being purely a legal construct); that Pricilla clearly said 'forcefully' not forcibly. She even used the wording "made love to me". Rapists do not "make love" to anyone. Count me out of this forum if "Scottwalker's" post is an example of the standard of debate (and indeed grammar and writing). I am a barrister, I gobble up and spit out fatuous and puerile responses every single day of my working life. Bye.

If you'd taken the time to look around, you'd have seen that this is a trouble free forum. As for standards of grammar and writing, you must appreciate that there are people here with differing educational standards, different levels of the command of the English language, quite a few whose first language is not English.

As a barrister, I'm sure you've encountered many clients who have difficulties expressing themselves properly, so a little less judgement would be appreciated.

It's been my misfortune to encounter three barristers in the last five years. One of them could barely understand the case in front of her, never mind formulate a robust case on behalf of her client.

It doesn't take a barrister to gobble up and spit out fatuous and puerile responses, just common sense.

Anyway, stick around, but please let's have less of a judgemental attitude.

Return to “Everything Elvis”