Dolly Parton, "I will always love you" and Elvis.

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Dolly Parton, "I will always love you" and Elvis.

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:31 pm

I have heard about the rumor that Elvis wanted to record "I will always love you" for years.

Because I have heard Dolly talk about it in lot of interviews over the years.

Here is one of them on youtube, and she has been pretty consistent with this story over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifV-ExQyAn0

A few things bother me about the timeline of this story. Perhaps she is remembering things slightly wrong because of the time that has gone by.

From what I have learned is that she recorded the song in late 1973 and it was released in spring of 1974.

So, if that is true, concerning this timline, how was Elvis "going thru problems with Priscilla" when his divorce would have been final long before it was released? In one interview she did, she states that Elvis sang a line of the song to Priscilla on the way out of the courthouse.
Of course, she got this from Priscilla, and this could be Priscilla re-writing history.

And since Elvis did no sessions in 1974, and as Dolly says, the song had already been a hit, I assume the recording sessions Elvis was to
have done this would have been march 1975. Anyone know any different? the only other sessions Elvis did after this was his Graceland sessions.

Yin Yang

Re: Dolly Parton, "I will always love you" and Elvis.

Postby Yin Yang » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:33 pm

When I met Timi Yuro who saw my Elvis pin, she told me she received a telegram from Elvis saying he recorded her hit song "Hurt" and hoped she did not mind. Elvis recorded what he wanted to record.
I also once met a singer who claimed he was in the movie "Viva Las Vegas" where he kicked Elvis. We all know it was Kurt Russell in "It happened at the world's fair".
I wish people would stop fabricating stories about Elvis.

HillbillyCat

Postby HillbillyCat » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:41 pm

According to secondhandsongs.com Dolly recorded the song on June 12, 1973 and she didn't release the song until February 1974 (on her album "Jolene", later as a single in March '74). Elvis and Priscilla's divorce date was October 9, 1973. So at this point Elvis could only have known about this song if he had been given a demo tape. If Dolly's further story is true and her supposed reply "The song's already been a hit with me..." is accurate, then it can only be about a possible recording in 1975. Does it then seem possible that the Colonel (or one of his lackeys) could have intervened here without Elvis knowledge? Yep, no doubt about it. But I also see it like Yin Yang: If Elvis had really wanted to, he could have recorded the song just like that or performed it live on stage. And as for me, I'm quite glad he didn't.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:54 pm

HillbillyCat wrote:According to secondhandsongs.com Dolly recorded the song on June 12, 1973 and she didn't release the song until February 1974 (on her album "Jolene", later as a single in March '74). Elvis and Priscilla's divorce date was October 9, 1973. So at this point Elvis could only have known about this song if he had been given a demo tape. If Dolly's further story is true and her supposed reply "The song's already been a hit with me..." is accurate, then it can only be about a possible recording in 1975. Does it then seem possible that the Colonel (or one of his lackeys) could have intervened here without Elvis knowledge? Yep, no doubt about it. But I also see it like Yin Yang: If Elvis had really wanted to, he could have recorded the song just like that or performed it live on stage. And as for me, I'm quite glad he didn't.

I'm glad too. I can't stand this song.

Holy Irma Thomas.

John

Postby John » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:32 am

Mister Moon wrote:
HillbillyCat wrote:According to secondhandsongs.com Dolly recorded the song on June 12, 1973 and she didn't release the song until February 1974 (on her album "Jolene", later as a single in March '74). Elvis and Priscilla's divorce date was October 9, 1973. So at this point Elvis could only have known about this song if he had been given a demo tape. If Dolly's further story is true and her supposed reply "The song's already been a hit with me..." is accurate, then it can only be about a possible recording in 1975. Does it then seem possible that the Colonel (or one of his lackeys) could have intervened here without Elvis knowledge? Yep, no doubt about it. But I also see it like Yin Yang: If Elvis had really wanted to, he could have recorded the song just like that or performed it live on stage. And as for me, I'm quite glad he didn't.

Holy Irma Thomas.

I agree. I doubt very much that Elvis wanted to record this song.

Judith

Postby Judith » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:05 pm

The one he should have recorded is "Coat of Many Colors" which I am sure must have resonated with Elvis. Now there's a real tearjerker!
Without a song the road would never bend

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:22 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Holy Irma Thomas.

Right. It's not for him. In fact, I can't see any male singer doing this song. But I may be wrong.

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:29 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Holy Irma Thomas.

Yes, but I would have doubted Elvis wanted to record,
And I love you so,
Woman without love
and others he did record in the 70's.

I also look at the source....This is Dolly Parton who has been truthful in her claims and stories thru the years.
Dolly has no reason to lie. No motive to say this. And it's not hearsay, this is coming directly out of Dolly's mouth, not
one of her associates. Since Elvis only recorded 10 songs at this session, I am sure there were other songs
on the list of possibles to record, that also didn't make it to record form.
So, Elvis just recorded enough to make an album.
And wasn't another song considered was, "We had it all"? A song that Dolly herself recorded.
I have no doubt Dolly is truthful here. She remembers this because it was something that she
thought about from day one. She really wanted Elvis to record one of her songs.

John

Postby John » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:02 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Holy Irma Thomas.

Yes, but I would have doubted Elvis wanted to record,
And I love you so,
Woman without love
and others he did record in the 70's.
They are far more suitable songs.

I also look at the source....This is Dolly Parton who has been truthful in her claims and stories thru the years.
Dolly has no reason to lie. No motive to say this. And it's not hearsay, this is coming directly out of Dolly's mouth, not
one of her associates. Since Elvis only recorded 10 songs at this session, I am sure there were other songs
on the list of possibles to record, that also didn't make it to record form.
So, Elvis just recorded enough to make an album.
And wasn't another song considered was, "We had it all"? A song that Dolly herself recorded.
I have no doubt Dolly is truthful here. She remembers this because it was something that she
thought about from day one. She really wanted Elvis to record one of her songs.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:19 am

Judith wrote:The one he should have recorded is "Coat of Many Colors" which I am sure must have resonated with Elvis. Now there's a real tearjerker!

Yes, there was speculation that this was the song in question & Dolly is mis-remembering.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:26 pm

Colin B wrote:
Judith wrote:The one he should have recorded is "Coat of Many Colors" which I am sure must have resonated with Elvis. Now there's a real tearjerker!

Yes, there was speculation that this was the song in question & Dolly is mis-remembering.

The problem with that theory is there is no documentation it was that song at all.
The only thing we have is Dolly's memory on this song.

reg

Postby reg » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:01 pm

its the wrong song but she remembers it as this song because it is her most famous song

the song was defintely coat of colors

John

Postby John » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:20 pm

reg wrote:its the wrong song but she remembers it as this song because it is her most famous song

I can't imagine him singing that.

reg

Postby reg » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:36 pm

John wrote:
reg wrote:its the wrong song but she remembers it as this song because it is her most famous song

i can for sure and its the only song that works for the story too

John

Postby John » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:34 pm

reg wrote:
John wrote:

i can for sure and its the only song that works for the story too

Not for me.

Return to “Everything Elvis”