PVC Gassing problems with FTD 7 inch cd holders.

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
Slaam

PVC Gassing problems with FTD 7 inch cd holders.

Postby Slaam » Fri May 05, 2023 11:37 pm

As most of You will know PVC sleeves are bad for your records.
Why?
You ask?
Because of the gas that is released.This will cloud your vinyl records, and eventually destroy them.
I personally used PVC protective sleeves but became aware of this problem only a couple of years ago.
To my surprise a couple of my records were affected and the sleeves stuck to the pvc sleeve or the record itself was damaged.
I replaced all my sleeves for PP and PE sleeves.

And now to my question.
I checked my 7 inch FTD's and to my horror all the cd's and the covers are affected by gassing!
Not by the sleeves but by the cd holder that FTD used with the first 30 or so releases!
The inside of the cover where the cd's are is sort of greasy because of it and on the cd's too.

My question:
DID ANYONE ELSE CAME ACROSS THIS PROBLEM? AND IS THERE A SOLUTION?

I kept the the cd's in a PE sleeve but this did not keep the gas from causing problems.

Sam

Stevenson

Re: PVC Gassing problems with FTD 7 inch cd holders.

Postby Stevenson » Sat May 06, 2023 7:42 am

Well, I had similiar issues with vinyl. One time I decided to replace old vinyl covers with new ones and I couldn't separate yellowish vinyl sleeve form the cover itself. The sleeve has shrunk and was heavily warped but not "greasy" - and it didn't affect the vinyl itself (or I didn't pay too much attention to it).On a side note: English isn't my mother language, so I take wording as "technicality".
As for CDs - lots was said on another Elvis forum about CDs "fogging", "rotting", having some kind of "white-ish spots". Perhaps it was also mentioned here, but I didn't check. I'd post a links to threads on another forum, but I'm not sure if it was cool - just search and you will find...

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat May 06, 2023 5:44 pm

Parlogram is a real fine YouTube channel devoted to all things related to collecting Beatles records.

Here's a couple of interesting videos they did on the subject of PVC sleeves :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b97WEUfeDFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_z5oa24cd4

bluehawaii

Postby bluehawaii » Mon May 08, 2023 8:41 am

Slaam wrote:DID ANYONE ELSE CAME ACROSS THIS PROBLEM? AND IS THERE A SOLUTION?

I kept the the cd's in a PE sleeve but this did not keep the gas from causing problems.

Sam

Yes, most of my 5" and 7" classic albums have had this issue, in particular older titles that got released before or around 2010. No PE sleeves or sleeves of any kind, but still the whitening and dull looking covers were present. Not just on the outside, but the inside of the casings as well. I used fiber cloth to wipe the surfaces clean and used warm water to clean some of the discs. "Clambake" and "I Found My Thrill" were especially bad and I had to replace the discs.

Not sure if the gassing has ceased.
Last edited by bluehawaii on Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Effjay

Postby Effjay » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:12 am

My “I Found My Thrill” disc went completely bad several years after it came out without being in any sort of sleeve. I had to buy a new one.

javilu

Postby javilu » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:50 pm

Effjay wrote:My “I Found My Thrill” disc went completely bad several years after it came out without being in any sort of sleeve. I had to buy a new one.

That one had a manufacturing problem as mine went bad too and doesn't play now.

For the price they charge, the crap quality in FTD is exasperating.

Topic author
Slaam

Postby Slaam » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:01 am

Many thanks for the reply's.
As a matter of fact it was also my copy of I found my thrill and also Clambake that were affected!
Unbelievable...
Anyone got some tips on how to remedy this?

bluehawaii

Postby bluehawaii » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:58 pm

Slaam wrote:Many thanks for the reply's.
As a matter of fact it was also my copy of I found my thrill and also Clambake that were affected!
Unbelievable...
Anyone got some tips on how to remedy this?

Where do you store your FTDs? A bit of circulation may reduce the problem. I keep mine in a cabinet though.

As for cleaning up the mess: a fiber cloth for the cases. Try warm, running water if the gassing affects the discs. And lastly create a backup copy. I really hope the newer titles aren't affected.

Return to “Everything Elvis”