From Elvis At Sun....in stereo.

All the Elvis you can take

kevanbudd

Re: From Elvis At Sun....in stereo.

Postby kevanbudd » Tue May 30, 2023 8:57 pm

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:...But the version on the 2012 release: A Boy From Tupelo which was re-mastered by Sebastian Jeansson, was the first to have the clipped beginning put right - by inserting an unclipped bit from later in the recording.

It's the corrected version presented here in stereo.
John wrote:I seem to recall that they took a bit from Good Rockin' Tonight, and that's what it says on Keith's site too.
Colin B wrote:Oh, right, thanks !

My post would be better if it read "first to have the clipped beginning put right by inserting a bit from elsewhere"
John wrote:namely, GRT.

I'm better informed now.

I was right the first time !

The clipped opening 'Well' on Just Because was corrected with a bit from later in the recording.

There is no 'Well' on Good Rockin' Tonight which would fit.

Keith is wrong about that.

Keith is correct - I was the one who checked it.

Someone on FECC had suggested that the remade start for `Just because` was taken from `Good rockin tonight` on `A boy from Tupelo` so I checked it and it was correct - a split second of the start of `Good rockin` was indeed spliced to `Just because` - it is a perfect match of a tiny fragment.

`Just because` on `a boy from Tupelo` is a splice of `Good rocking tonight` and `Just because`.

It could have been corrected using the second `well` from `Just because` itself, but it wasn't.

My guess is that the intro had a guitar chord for the key at the start bleeding into the first `well` so it got cut?
Though We may never know.

Kevan Budd.
Last edited by kevanbudd on Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Tue May 30, 2023 9:14 pm

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:...But the version on the 2012 release: A Boy From Tupelo which was re-mastered by Sebastian Jeansson, was the first to have the clipped beginning put right - by inserting an unclipped bit from later in the recording.

John wrote:I seem to recall that they took a bit from Good Rockin' Tonight, and that's what it says on Keith's site too.

My post would be better if it read "first to have the clipped beginning put right by inserting a bit from elsewhere"

I'm better informed now.

The clipped opening 'Well' on Just Because was corrected with a bit from later in the recording.

They didn't need a complete well, just a w.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue May 30, 2023 9:15 pm

kevanbudd wrote:
Colin B wrote:

I'm better informed now.

Keith is correct - I was the one who checked it.

Someone on FECC had suggested that the remade start for `Just because` was taken from `Good rockin tonight` on `A boy from Tupelo` so I checked it and it was correct - a split second of the start of `Good rockin` was indeed spliced to `Just because` - it is a perfect match of a tiny fragment.

`Just because` on `a boy from Tupelo` is a splice of `Good rocking tonight` and `Just because`.

It could have been corrected using the second `well` from `Just because` itself, but it wasn't.

My guess is that the intro had a guitar chord for the key at the start which bleed into the first `well` so got cut?

We may never know.

There was really no need at all for such a splice.

LPM-1254 was the first Elvis album I ever got, in 1978. I may have listened to "Just Because" hundreds or thousands of times, and never even noticed that the first "well" was incomplete, or clipped. Knowing Elvis' way of singing at that point, it could even be correct that way.

That so-called "restoration" was no doubt over the top stuff.

As for "Tomorrow Night", I don't believe the non-vocal section in the middle was intended to be overdubbed later. Overdubbing, or even take-splicing, at Sun was not a common (or not-uncommon) practice until 1957 onward. Prior to that, one could only find a extremely reduced number of tape-doctoring examples. Sam Phillips just liked to record as much stuff as possible on the spot, even when he upgraded to multi-track facilities in 1959.

So, I believe they recorded "Tomorrow Night" that way because it was just a one-take run-through, and Scotty just didn't bother playing a solo because they simply hadn't worked on it.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue May 30, 2023 10:10 pm

kevanbudd wrote:Keith is correct - I was the one who checked it.

My guess is that the intro had a guitar chord for the key at the start bleeding into the first `well` so got cut?

We may never know.

Kevan Budd.

Well, that's straight from the horses mouth !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed May 31, 2023 7:20 pm

Oh, "Tomorrow Night" was slowed down a little bit before, or after, overdubbing.

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:33 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Oh, "Tomorrow Night" was slowed down a little bit before, or after, overdubbing.

If my memory is correct, the 1965 overdub that first appeared on the Elvis For Everyone album was slowed down.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:15 pm

rockinrebel wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Oh, "Tomorrow Night" was slowed down a little bit before, or after, overdubbing.

If my memory is correct, the 1965 overdub that first appeared on the Elvis For Everyone album was slowed down.

Definitely.

Freddy63

From Elvis at Sun CD, DES (stereo), Randers Mansion Denmark is a CD-R

Postby Freddy63 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:04 pm

I just bought the CD "From Elvis at Sun" in digital extracted stereo, through my local fanclub. And I think overall they did a pretty good job. Sound is ok, artwork and booklet all professional printed. Yet there is one problem, instead of a factory pressed CD , they decided to burn the tracks on a CD-R. Wich normally wouldn't have been a big deal to me, if they would mentioned it upfront om their website, and on the cover of the CD. :? :cry: Of course I wouldn't have paid €13 or €19,95 if I had known it beforehand.
I can tell you this,I wasn't pleased at all when I checked the playing surface and discovered it, to put it mildly. I presume my fanclub didn't know it was not factory pressed at all. I did email both Hendrik Knudsen and my fanclub about it, to inform them I wasn't pleased at all. I did pay €19,95 for a burnt CD. And Knudsen dared to ask €13. I will not buy from Randers Mansion again. First and last time. Maybe all cd's released by Randers Mansion are CD-R 's, better check them all! :|

HillbillyCat

Re: From Elvis at Sun CD, DES (stereo), Randers Mansion Denmark is a CD-R

Postby HillbillyCat » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:06 am

First of all: Welcome to our forum!

The album and the fact that it is a CD-R has already been discussed here.: "From Elvis At Sun....in stereo."

Freddy63

Postby Freddy63 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:09 am

Hi HillbillyCat,

I must have missed the mention of the CD-R then, I scrolled through it, and it wasn't confirmed, there was one member that asked the question, but not confirmed. I wish I had read the question, then I wouldn't have bought it, without further investigation. Plus I didn't see it mentioned on other platforms. The print on the cd looks very professional, so one wouldn't expect a CD-R in the first place.

I hope this new topic Keeps others from buying this fake cd. That's why I created this new topic. And I hope that mr. Hendrik Knudsen will take responibility to get factory pressed cd's and send them to everybody for free as a replacement, that would be a just thing to do IMHO. :D

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:46 am

Freddy63 wrote:Hi HillbillyCat,

I must have missed the mention of the CD-R then, I scrolled through it, and it wasn't confirmed, there was one member that asked the question, but not confirmed.

You should look again, I confirmed it.
15FA73B1-5F81-468D-B8A2-1FA125EA654B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nolan is here, with the truth!

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:06 am

D07F9EAD-822D-49A7-B08D-2346FC961D58.jpeg

8DAC1967-A443-44DC-9D64-E98810C29811.jpeg
64062303-7EAC-439B-A98D-4D8A50C4A3B5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nolan is here, with the truth!

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:24 am

NB: Two threads referring to this release have been merged - The Management
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Freddy63

Postby Freddy63 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:43 pm

Nolan Truth wrote:D07F9EAD-822D-49A7-B08D-2346FC961D58.jpeg
8DAC1967-A443-44DC-9D64-E98810C29811.jpeg64062303-7EAC-439B-A98D-4D8A50C4A3B5.jpeg

Thanks,I did see it after it was mentioned to me this morning. It is too late fore allready since I did buy it recently.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:35 pm

Credit where credit is due. How many of us have achieved something like this?

The Memphis Mansion Mono II Stereo release titled ‘From Elvis At Sun’ has today been placed in the Danish National Radio station archive at DR.

Henrik Knudsen, shown at right in this picture, visited with Danish radio and TV legend Jørgen de Mylius.

Jørgen and Henrik will be heard discussing the release on the ‘Hithouse’ radio show Monday 28th August.

https://www.dr.dk/lyd/p5/hithouse

Henrik.jpg

Return to “Everything Elvis”