The Making Of Blue Hawaii FTD

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
John

Re: The Making Of Blue Hawaii FTD

Postby John » Fri May 05, 2023 1:08 pm

This is a stunner of a set, and a wrist breaker.

The Swamp Fox

Postby The Swamp Fox » Sun May 07, 2023 12:30 am

I’m certainly hoping for a shipping confirmation soon!

Private Presley

Postby Private Presley » Sun May 07, 2023 1:33 am

"Blue Hawaii" was one of the first Elvis movies I saw on TV!!

I will have to get this set!
ImageImage

Topic author
John

Postby John » Sun May 07, 2023 12:20 pm

Private Presley wrote:"Blue Hawaii" was one of the first Elvis movies I saw on TV!!

I will have to get this set!

The books are astounding. I mainly flipped through it yesterday, so many photos I hadn't seen before. It'll take a month of Sundays to properly read them.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Sun May 07, 2023 12:41 pm

Mister Moon wrote:I have checked Keith Flynn's site, and it seems this release has everything from the BH sessions, except for take 18 of "Slicin' Sand" (12 seconds), and the so-called movie version of "Steppin' Out Of Line".

I guess these will be included on the CD-only version.

When you rip the CD, it shows "Slicin' Sand (EO) takes 15-18", however, take 18 is not on there. It skips to the next track, take 19, after the end of take 17. I'm not sure why it hasn't been included as it's only a few seconds long, and CD 2 is only 72 minutes long, so there was plenty of room.

I've spotted one small bit of dialogue missing, but I haven't spent lots of time just yet comparing it.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun May 07, 2023 2:00 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:I have checked Keith Flynn's site, and it seems this release has everything from the BH sessions, except for take 18 of "Slicin' Sand" (12 seconds), and the so-called movie version of "Steppin' Out Of Line".

When you rip the CD, it shows "Slicin' Sand (EO) takes 15-18", however, take 18 is not on there. It skips to the next track, take 19, after the end of take 17. I'm not sure why it hasn't been included as it's only a few seconds long, and CD 2 is only 72 minutes long, so there was plenty of room.

I've spotted one small bit of dialogue missing, but I haven't spent lots of time just yet comparing it.

Sloppy work, again.

I hope this is corrected for the CD-only release. Complete means complete.

Thanks, John.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Sun May 07, 2023 2:32 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:

Sloppy work, again.

Thanks, John.

Complete does mean complete, but I'm not sure they claim that it is complete. I very much doubt they'd "correct" the CD only release.

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Sun May 07, 2023 2:59 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Sloppy work, again.

The CD-only release discs will have been pressed at the same time as the CD’s in the book set, they will be the same.
When have any of the sessions sets ever been titled complete?
The ‘complete’ is a misnomer in the mind of fans only.
Nolan is here, with the truth!

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun May 07, 2023 5:46 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:

Sloppy work, again.

Thanks, John.

Complete does mean complete, but I'm not sure they claim that it is complete. I very much doubt they'd "correct" the CD only release.

Nolan Truth wrote:

The CD-only release discs will have been pressed at the same time as the CD’s in the book set, they will be the same.

This is from the official blurb I posted earlier in this thread weeks ago :

BH.jpg

Folks, they do not say "complete", but it's implied there. Also, the sessions sets they have released until now are indeed complete, so this would be the first exception.

Anyway, it would be ridiculous to leave that one take out, even if it's only studio talk.

Oh well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Sun May 07, 2023 7:00 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:

Sloppy work, again.

Thanks, John.

Nolan Truth wrote:

BH.jpg

Folks, they do not say "complete", but it's implied there. Also, the sessions sets they have released until now are indeed complete, so this would be the first exception.

Anyway, it would be ridiculous to leave that one take out, even if it's only studio talk.

Oh well.

I agree. There was plenty of room for it. Also there are lots of little bits of dialogue left out, just a second or two here and there, and lots of the slate calls sound like the tape is slipping, or at the wrong speed.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun May 07, 2023 7:09 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:

Sloppy work, again.

Thanks, John.

Nolan Truth wrote:

BH.jpg

Oh well.

I agree. There was plenty of room for it. Also there are lots of little bits of dialogue left out, just a second or two here and there, and lots of the slate calls sound like the tape is slipping, or at the wrong speed.

Sad news. I have just read down at the other place that the early takes of CHFIL are not sourced "from the original 3-track tapes", as promised by the official blurb.

I was going to buy the CD-only version, but I will spend the money on some other stuff that's been in my want list for ages. The Benny Joy 3-CD box-set, for example. That was an accurate release by the fine folks at Norton.

No problem at all.

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Sun May 07, 2023 7:41 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Also, the sessions sets they have released until now are indeed complete, so this would be the first exception.

Not so.
Night Life on the VLV Sessions was faded, the uncut longer outro was not on that sessions release, therefore not complete.
None of the sessions sets have been titled The Complete ‘whatever’ sessions either.

John wrote:Also there are lots of little bits of dialogue left out, just a second or two here and there,

Yes, between takes two and three of Can’t Help Falling In Love for example.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun May 07, 2023 7:58 pm

Nolan Truth wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Also, the sessions sets they have released until now are indeed complete, so this would be the first exception.

Not so.
Night Life on the VLV Sessions was faded, the uncut longer outro was not on that sessions release, therefore not complete.
None of the sessions sets have been titled The Complete ‘whatever’ sessions either.

But every take available was there. For the March / April 1960, for example, we only have the master take on a couple of songs, but everything else was included for the first time.

Again, the word "complete" may not have been used, but the underlying policy is clear.

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Sun May 07, 2023 7:59 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
Nolan Truth wrote:

Not so.

But every take available was there. For the March / April 1960, for example, we only have the master take on a couple of songs, but everything else was included for the first time.

Again, the word "complete" may not have been used, but the underlying policy is clear.

We all expect too much. Period.

kevanbudd

Postby kevanbudd » Sun May 07, 2023 8:01 pm

The missing parts may simply not be on the mutitrack reels FTD hold.

There are often small differences in the separate reels - in this case I don't know - but it happens.

Tapes are stopped and rewound for playback and started again etc, plus takes are removed from the tapes for masters.

Not forgetting that some tapes suffer damage.

I am against any cuts, but in this case we cannot be sure of the reason for missing parts at this time.

Kevan Budd.
Last edited by kevanbudd on Sun May 07, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Everything Elvis”