"P. J. Proby: Presley Style - Lost Elvis Songwriter Demos 1961-1963" - New Bear Family CD

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
Mister Moon

"P. J. Proby: Presley Style - Lost Elvis Songwriter Demos 1961-1963" - New Bear Family CD

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:13 pm

To be released 6 April 2023 by Bear Family Records (no track listing announced yet) :

P. J. Proby: Presley Style - Lost Elvis Songwriter Demos 1961-1963

1-CD (Digipak) with 36 page booklet, 21 tracks. Total playing time approx. 45 min.

Bear Family Records® are delighted to announce this collection of 21 tracks featuring previously unissued demonstration recordings for Elvis pitched to him by songwriters, all sung by P.J. Proby and released by special arrangement with P.J. and Trevor Simpson.
The Elvis management insisted that all songs presented to him had to be professionally recorded with band or orchestra accompaniment on acetate and submitted for his consideration via his publishers.
The voice of P.J. Proby totally fitted the bill!
Still active as a performer today, Texas born Proby sang these demos for Elvis between 1961 and ’63 before permanently residing in the UK where he had several major hits.
We have digitally restored and mastered the original sources for this CD release with the utmost care and to our satisfaction.
Elvis expert Trevor Simpson has written the liner notes telling the whole story of these demo recordings for Elvis.
Rare picture documents and illustrations round out the extensive booklet.
For fans of Elvis' music and the friends of P.J. Proby an equally exciting and welcome album!

Bear Family Records® are delighted to announce the release ‘P.J. Proby – Presley Style’. This collection of 21 tracks features demonstration recordings for Elvis pitched to him by songwriters, all sung by P.J. Proby.

The Elvis management insisted that all songs presented to him, had to be recorded on acetate and submitted for his consideration via his Hill & Range publishers.

Competition amongst the songwriters was intense as they created fully produced recordings hoping to catch the ear of Elvis. Many used vocalists who sounded like Elvis, in the hope of giving them the edge, and the voice of P.J. Proby totally fitted the bill.

Many of these songs were pitched for specific scenes in Elvis movies and were written accordingly after the songwriters studied the Hollywood script. On this collection, you can hear not only the successful songs chosen by Elvis, but also others which, although highly credible songs, were beaten by the finally recorded version.

P.J. said, “I had a couple of the demos in my possession and had been looking for more, as I had recorded so many. When they came with all the ones they had found and offered them back to me, I said, ‘Wonderful! Wonderful!’. I cherish them as a fond memory of songwriters Ben Weisman and Ruth Batchelor and the days we recorded the demos because we were so close. I want to share them with the world, as they are such an important piece of history”.

The release includes a 36-page booklet featuring rare Elvis and PJ memorabilia and an in-depth look at all the songs and where they fitted into the specific movies.

These tracks have been ‘lost’ for around 60 years, and this historic and nostalgic release will appeal to fans of both P.J. and Elvis and fills a gap for collectors in the history of the music.

https://www.bear-family.com/detail/index/sArticle/567803

Proby BF CD.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kevanbudd

Re: "P. J. Proby: Presley Style - Lost Elvis Songwriter Demos 1961-1963" - New Bear Family CD

Postby kevanbudd » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:26 pm

Mister Moon wrote:To be released 6 April 2023 by Bear Family Records (no track listing announced yet) :

1-CD (Digipak) with 36 page booklet, 21 tracks. Total playing time approx. 45 min.

Bear Family Records® are delighted to announce this collection of 21 tracks featuring previously unissued demonstration recordings for Elvis pitched to him by songwriters, all sung by P.J. Proby and released by special arrangement with P.J. and Trevor Simpson.
The Elvis management insisted that all songs presented to him had to be professionally recorded with band or orchestra accompaniment on acetate and submitted for his consideration via his publishers.
Still active as a performer today, Texas born Proby sang these demos for Elvis between 1961 and ’63 before permanently residing in the UK where he had several major hits.
We have digitally restored and mastered the original sources for this CD release with the utmost care and to our satisfaction.
Elvis expert Trevor Simpson has written the liner notes telling the whole story of these demo recordings for Elvis.
For fans of Elvis' music and the friends of P.J. Proby an equally exciting and welcome album!

Bear Family Records® are delighted to announce the release ‘P.J. Proby – Presley Style’. This collection of 21 tracks features demonstration recordings for Elvis pitched to him by songwriters, all sung by P.J. Proby.

The Elvis management insisted that all songs presented to him, had to be recorded on acetate and submitted for his consideration via his Hill & Range publishers.

Competition amongst the songwriters was intense as they created fully produced recordings hoping to catch the ear of Elvis. Many used vocalists who sounded like Elvis, in the hope of giving them the edge, and the voice of P.J. Proby totally fitted the bill.

Many of these songs were pitched for specific scenes in Elvis movies and were written accordingly after the songwriters studied the Hollywood script. On this collection, you can hear not only the successful songs chosen by Elvis, but also others which, although highly credible songs, were beaten by the finally recorded version.

P.J. said, “I had a couple of the demos in my possession and had been looking for more, as I had recorded so many. When they came with all the ones they had found and offered them back to me, I said, ‘Wonderful! Wonderful!’. I cherish them as a fond memory of songwriters Ben Weisman and Ruth Batchelor and the days we recorded the demos because we were so close. I want to share them with the world, as they are such an important piece of history”.

The release includes a 36-page booklet featuring rare Elvis and PJ memorabilia and an in-depth look at all the songs and where they fitted into the specific movies.

These tracks have been ‘lost’ for around 60 years, and this historic and nostalgic release will appeal to fans of both P.J. and Elvis and fills a gap for collectors in the history of the music.

Proby BF CD.jpg

Thanks Mr Moon,

looks like it will be a great CD, I look forward to seeing the track listing and getting the set.

Kevan Budd.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Re: "P. J. Proby: Presley Style - Lost Elvis Songwriter Demos 1961-1963" - New Bear Family CD

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:31 pm

kevanbudd wrote:Thanks Mr Moon,

looks like it will be a great CD, I look forward to seeing the track listing and getting the set.

As soon as it is available, I will post it.

John

Postby John » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:13 pm

Mister Moon wrote:To be released 6 April 2023 by Bear Family Records (no track listing announced yet) :

Proby BF CD.jpg

Wow. A friend of mine is a friend of Proby's. I saw her just before Christmas and mentioned to her that P.J. had recorded a lot of Elvis demos, and wondered if she'd be able to ask him about them and if he knew the whereabouts of the demos. Timing, eh?

I recently edited her "home movies" footage of a number of singers she knows, that she'd taken on various tours. One of them featured some great footage of P.J.. I've taken a still from one piece of footage where he was singing "Hold Me".

Proby.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JimmyCool

Postby JimmyCool » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:16 pm

Although I don't like P.J. Proby as a performer (I don't like his voice at all), I'm interested in how the song evolved from the original demo to the final version.

AndresVanKujik

Postby AndresVanKujik » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:19 am

I remember any moons ago being at one of the Mablethorpe events (the only time I went) and P.J. Proby made an unbilled guest appearance, came on stage and told us all to buy his cover of "Love me Tender" which had just been released, but refused to sing a note. I went off him then, if you're gonna ask me to buy your song at least sing it for us.
"Man, I just work here..."

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:25 am

Some demo's "escaped" and are in my collection as MP3. I am looking forward to this CD. I have quite a few of P.J. Proby's releases in my collection.
I also have performances on German Beat-Club TV show. One is obviously playback but the other one is sung live.

John

Postby John » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:21 am

Yin Yang wrote:Some demo's "escaped" and are in my collection as MP3.

You can of course share them on here.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:54 am

Tracklist:

01 Because of love
02 Cotton candy land
03 Take me to the fair
04 Fun in Acapulco
05 Me and mi amigo
06 Margarita
07 'Til love comes to you
08 Which way do I turn
09 Slowly but surely
10 It's carnival time
11 Happy go lucky me
12 Carnival of dreams
13 I'll keep your secret
14 Everything I need
15 The greatest show
16 A fool to wander
17 Come and get it
18 Where is pappy?
19 Snap to!
20 Whatta they know
21 In my dreams

That last song can be found on an Elvis bootleg.
All my music is on external harddisks but I have no idea what is on which..........
I am sorting it all out but am awaiting a new very large capacity harddisk.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:01 pm

JimmyCool wrote:Although I don't like P.J. Proby as a performer (I don't like his voice at all), I'm interested in how the song evolved from the original demo to the final version.

Have to remember, ol' PJ was imitating the Elvis style & voice when he cut the demos !

The Elvis versions are bound to be very similar !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:03 pm

Yin Yang wrote:Tracklist:

01 Because of love
02 Cotton candy land
03 Take me to the fair
04 Fun in Acapulco
05 Me and mi amigo
06 Margarita
07 'Til love comes to you
08 Which way do I turn
09 Slowly but surely
10 It's carnival time
11 Happy go lucky me
12 Carnival of dreams
13 I'll keep your secret
14 Everything I need
15 The greatest show
16 A fool to wander
17 Come and get it
18 Where is pappy?
19 Snap to!
20 Whatta they know
21 In my dreams

That last song can be found on an Elvis bootleg.
All my music is on external harddisks but I have no idea what is on which..........
I am sorting it all out but am awaiting a new very large capacity harddisk.

Thanks. Let's see what's on the forthcoming CD. If you have additional tracks, we can arrange for you to share them, if you'd like to.

John

Postby John » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:04 pm

Colin B wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:Although I don't like P.J. Proby as a performer (I don't like his voice at all), I'm interested in how the song evolved from the original demo to the final version.

Have to remember, ol' PJ was imitating the Elvis style & voice when he cut the demos !

The Elvis versions are bound to be very similar !

but not necessarily as good.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:15 pm

Serious question. Is this the same song as on the forthcoming CD?

https://youtu.be/b-KTBfH-pNU

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:53 pm

Thanks Mr Moon

It looks to be a very interesting release; a handful demos already are circulating:

I’LL KEEP YOUR SECRET (Roustabout)
According to the "official" P.J. Proby fanclub-site this demo version is written by Sid Wayne & Ben Weisman for an unknown Elvis' movie in 1961/1962 but rejected. It's released on a P.J. Proby fanclub CD release in 2011.
The song isn't registered at ASCAP by the songwriter/composer.

I’m curious to all 21 tracks.

colonel snow

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:50 pm

Addition to the list of Ying Yang:
Tracks 1-2 are written by Ruth Batchelor & Bob Roberts.
The tracks 3 till 21 are written by Sid Wayne & Ben Weisman.

01 Because of love >>Girls girls girls

02 Cotton candy land >> IHATWF **

03 Take me to the fair >> IHATWF **

04 Fun in Acapulco >> Fun in Acapulco

05 Me and mi amigo >> Fun in Acapulco - rejected

06 Margarita >> Fun in Acapulco - rejected

07 'Til love comes to you – >> Fun in Acapulco - rejected

08 Which way do I turn >> Fun in Acapulco - rejected

09 Slowly but surely >> Fun in Acapulco - rejected

10 It's carnival time >> Roustabout

11 Happy go lucky me >> Roustabout - rejected

12 Carnival of dreams >> Roustabout - rejected

13 I'll keep your secret >> Roustabout - rejected

14 Everything I need >> Roustabout - rejected

15 The greatest show >> Roustabout - rejected

16 A fool to wander >> Roustabout - rejected

17 Come and get it - unknown

18 Where is pappy? >> Kissin’ cousins - rejected **

19 Snap to! >> Kissin’ cousins - rejected

20 Whatta they know - unknown

21 In my dreams – already released in the past

** more information in the next posts

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Everything Elvis”